IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

29 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

I was thinking more about the PC side of it with Steam.

Yeah, what I mean is that you can't really make enough money as a hardware vendor alone - you have to sell software, licensing, etc.  Unless you're a Chinese company with super-low production costs, selling hardware alone isn't sustainable.  Since that's really the only thing Atari has sort-of shown with the Atari Box, it means they're going to make an initial run, then almost certainly stop supporting it in less than a year.

Assuming Atari ever completes an actual production run, those people who just want a little PC that's sort of reminiscent of the 2600 will be fine.  Those who expect to have a vendor-supported platform that they'll be able to buy unique games for that aren't readily available everywhere else -- i.e. what most people think of when they think of a "games console" -- are almost certain to be sorely disappointed.

Edited by jamm
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I've been starting to wonder if the problem is that the VCS consoles are too expensive to produce, and Atari's strategy is basically to delay until they find a way to reduce the cost or until the parts age enough to bring the prices down.

Every comparable Ryzen computer that I can find costs a lot more than $250.  The cheapest and probably best comparison is the Udoo Bolt board, which costs $332 and doesn't come with RAM, a case, or a power supply.  It has an on-board Arduino but that's at most a $15 addition.  Udoo seems like a pretty competent and reputable company with multiple successful/delivered Kickstarters.  How is incompetent Atari now going to do the same thing but a whole lot cheaper?

https://shop.udoo.org/products/bolt.html

773848003_Screenshot2020-05-3010_26_35.thumb.png.ab04331bb685d9a7f5e12166682c66ac.png

Every other comparable Ryzen computer I can find costs a lot more.  Granted some of these are probably relatively small production runs, but so is the Atari VCS:

https://www.onlogic.com/ml100g-40/

1333772013_Screenshot2020-05-3010_27_31.thumb.png.5bc76b3d34b42bf8c5975b16e84b8172.png

The cheapest one from SimplyNUC has Vega 6 graphics so it's a little more powerful than the VCS, but it's also almost $700. 

https://simplynuc.com/sequoia/

315109222_Screenshot2020-05-3010_27_16.thumb.png.66f70124237e8fe58f64499956a735a4.png

Here's a handheld console based on the Ryzen.  This has a camera and screen, but even if you deduct those it's still significantly more than the VCS:

https://www.smachz.com/shop/products/602_621-604-608-622-611-623-624-625-619-612

274894400_Screenshot2020-05-3010_25_53.thumb.png.feee1d6355bc66cb41c25354ee183a89.png

378082422_Screenshot2020-05-3010_26_20.png.69ec85748e7e4feda85110e350b3f975.png

• Like 4

9 hours ago, marss said:

Finally, I found that the nest of losers is here ;)

It’s not like this area of the forum is hidden and it has been mentioned multiple time on IGG (that’s how I found it) ... you can’t have looked that hard before ... kinda like searching the planet for ATARI parts hey?

P.S. what you label “a nest of losers” were ALL ATARI Fans until the brand was dragged through the mud by a bunch of morons that couldn’t build a computer if the design was left on a table for free by Tin Giant

Edited by Chopsus
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Chopsus said:

It’s not like this area of the forum is hidden and it has been mentioned multiple time on IGG (that’s how I found it) ... you can’t have looked that hard before ... kinda like searching the planet for ATARI parts hey?

P.S. what you label “a nest of losers” were ALL ATARI Fans until the brand was dragged through the mud by a bunch of morons that couldn’t build a computer if the design was left on a table for free by Tin Giant

I see what you did there. ?

Edited by JasperAK
  • Haha 4

On 5/30/2020 at 2:24 AM, roots.genoa said:

WTF does that mean?? ?

... well, to myself it means Atari has for a third time recycled the same bit of news concerning the 500 units as fulfilling their 'monthly' (which seems to take an average of 5 weeks now) Indiegogo backer update. Seeing they estimate completion in Mid-June, I do wonder if they are going to go for broke on four; and the end of June update will be some variation of 'We shipped the 500 units'.

That it will have taken them three months to assemble 500 units (barring any new and additional delays) is not very encouraging. Granted this is an initial run but still at slightly under 5% completion per 3 months, it would take them a bit over five years to produce the units needed to fulfill their Indiegogo backer obligations. Let's hope they can streamline that timetable a bit.

It is nice to see them demoing something other then Antsteam and Atari Vault; it does give hope that there may indeed actually be some development taking place for the Atari box. The addition of a disclaimer "Please also note that everything shown here is for demonstration purposes only and nothing appearing in these videos should be taken as official announcements or promises of any specific content in the Atari VCS store." is a little less encouraging.

Seeing that all titles being shown demoed are available on Steam (except Warzone), I am highly suspecting they are playing them in sandbox mode and conveniently neglected to mention this fact.

That said, it is impressive to see that they got COD: Warzone to run on the Atari Box. It is a modified unit of course, but still it actually runs it. Which is more then I expected of it.

Their 'Escape from New York: Atari Box Edition' part of the dev blog was an entertaining read. I still liked the original better though I think.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, digdugnate said:

Will the real Martial Daviaud please stand up, please stand up

He’s an absolute Atari stooge isn’t he LOL!

I would also add that involvements with charities is a rolled gold hallmark of Con-Merchants ... a little bit if cash buys a lot of profile, public goodwill and makes the organisation appear clean.

Edited by Chopsus
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Tavi said:

That said, it is impressive to see that they got COD: Warzone to run on the Atari Box. It is a modified unit of course, but still it actually runs it. Which is more then I expected of it.

The nice thing about many PC games is that they are made to run on silicon potatoes :P - Intel Graphics chipsets and such. Judging by that video, I can see why they turned comments off, as it would be relentlessly mocked for how poor that iteration of COD is running on it. Granted, you could probably squeeze a couple of other frames out of it if you were able to optimize the code for the VCS (and shut off more effects to make sure it's running at lowest of low quality). 

But for that Nintendo system that you can get right now, starting at $200 for the lite model, it does get FPS games optimized for it so they run much smoother. I can't imagine that any C-level studio or higher will bother to do something specific for the Tacobox. 

• Like 3

Also the screenshot for Crystal Castles looks very much like the Atari ST version, which itself is not a bad thing because all Atari's are equally precious and I suppose this game vault is not primarily an Atari 2600 archive, but anything that belongs to Atari.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/atari-st/crystal-castles/screenshots/gameShotId,47634/

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st-crystal-castles_9026.html

^ Can this be considered a Pyramid Scheme?

I know that this does not fit the actual definition of such, or a Ponzi scam but....

Since we know this dumpster fire of a console will never fly, due to the fact that NO ONE is going to develop games for it, the intent to deceive is there.
This is pre-meditated deception for fullfillment of prior "investors" so that the image of a vibrant new eco-system of a console & stock value of Atari will go up.

the only problem is that the original investors are actually NOT investors since they gave up that money for free. The deception is to lure in NEW buyers based on high fanboyism when they get the console from the money that new orders will fund.
Somewhere down the line whent the fresh money stops flowing in it will all come crashing down unless someone BUYS the company. That is the scam

(*ALLEGEDLY*)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Paul Slocum said:

Pages and pages of questions with no response...... but then Atari responds!

1599485141_Screenshot2020-06-0107_26_52.thumb.png.9d8ac107191820c8c3c943662346272d.png

Curious the Atari Intern didn’t delete it ... perhaps it’s sinking in that that is bad PR?

btw, is what I asked bullying, really?

Edited by Chopsus
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

1599485141_Screenshot2020-06-0107_26_52.thumb.png.9d8ac107191820c8c3c943662346272d.png

Either he really is a cheerleader..or he's really Fred Cheese-noise just under a pseudonym name.

for a Cheerleader he certainly gets his links at the same time as Atari posts them ... the few I have followed were posted, by Martial, within a minute of them being uploaded ... coincidence or creator of the same?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Chopsus said:

Definitely not, Atari and its supporters are the bullies.  Atari only calls out and deletes people who are negative about the console, everybody else gets a pass to be a jerk.  It's ridiculous, they act like people are big assholes for being angry that they haven't received what they paid for a year after the delivery date.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chopsus said:

Curious the Atari Intern didn’t delete it ... perhaps it’s sinking in that that is bad PR?

Not bullying, just very childish. The guy is obviously not paid by Atari, that makes zero sense. 

20 minutes ago, Zor said:

Not bullying, just very childish. The guy is obviously not paid by Atari, that makes zero sense. 

Given Martial's history over the past couple years it wasn't obvious at all, and Chopsus hasn't been the first to ask.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, racerx said:

Given Martial's history over the past couple years it wasn't obvious at all, and Chopsus hasn't been the first to ask.

This a trend everywhere on the internet, see someone you disagree with ? obviously that's a shill/troll/Russian bot. 
Or just someone disagreeing. This accusation has been thrown at other of the supporters, even some who clearly were just intellectually challenged delusional fans Atari is happy to take money from. 

As inept as Atari is at running this campaign, why on earth would they pay someone who can't put one one coherent thought down, as if it'd make them look any good. 

Atari is looking quite bad, and I'm sure their backers are realizing that, trolling their comment page  almost makes them look like victims for a split second. Let them sink or ask where are games, or why their new controller isn't ready when it should have been before Corona. Trolling their pages with stupid comment achieves what ?

• Like 1

Ever since calling out the video of the guy playing Tempest 4000 on supposedly the AtacoVCS with a controller, but someone else is playing the game on a PC and the guy sitting there is just mimicing it, we've been called trolls, losers, taco lovers, etc. just because we didn't go,  "ZOMG!!  The AtariVCS!  We are stoked!"

Again, we find that time after time, this new Atari is just deceiving, and maybe its pigeons supporters are just angry at us because we didn't fall into their scam-vestment.  There are tons of red flags on that project.  

(And I don't know if people still type "ZOMG" anymore.)

• Like 4