IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

5 hours ago, Paul Slocum said:

In this new interview at 10:08 Fred says that for the VCS they are "shooting for the end of the year".  So much for July!

https://www.redeye.se/video/event-presentation/788059/atari-ceo-frederic-chesnais-presenting-at-gaming-day-2020

It's nice to have goals.

I'm shooting for the end of the year to create a vaccine for the Coronavirus.

I suppose I should get started.

Let's see... best place to start. Medical school? R&D lab? Nah. Indiegogo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

If they do indeed find a Vaccine before the Atari VCS ships that will be the most pathetic thing I will ever see, nothing can top this.
I really hope they find the Vaccine now.

Atari shoud just come clean and just ship all the backers a console-ation gift like a micro Atari flashback, comes complete with 1" mini TV, just get the company that is making the Sega Game Gear micro to do it. Just need to dump the roms and change the case.

Aim is the end of the year, meaning 2021, Freddy has already ruined Xmas 2020 for these backers. What an arse clown.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, AtariLeaf said:

"Shooting for the end of the year" doesn't exactly scream hard ship date.

Remember when they said last December “weeks not months” ? Guess technically it will be 52 weeks so he wasn’t exactly lying ?

If anyone actually gets their hands on this thing I’d be shocked!

^ Probably, knowing Atari's history of not paying Tin Giant they probably cut corners and this thing might be an electrical hazzard xD

I guess this is what IndieGOGO calls a stretch goal, Fred Chesthair is stretching this out until 2021.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

The lack of tacos is disturbing.

made "taco's" at home last night (put that in quotes cause ... 4 year old has to agree with them, so suburb murican taco's) forgot to post a pic, sorry it won't happen again  

• Like 3

Yup, begging for more money smells of buffoonery, probably the cost of production is up%50, increased shipping costs and what not.
500 units is all they can make with cash on hand, and no way is Cheesehead going to invest any of his money into a failed indevor.
This is like the Hindenburg, basically a dumpster fire up in the air, waiting to be run into the ground like the Enterprise A,B,C and bloody D.

This is why Amatuers should never get into the electronics business, stick to lawsuits and T-shirts Atari. Not showing up to a summons? why bother anyway, they probably don't have the cash to pay for representation.
Atari's behavior speaks volumes about who they are at the core, Snivelling little Cowards in suits.

(Allegedly)

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Paul Slocum said:

In this new interview at 10:08 Fred says that for the VCS they are "shooting for the end of the year".  So much for July!

https://www.redeye.se/video/event-presentation/788059/atari-ceo-frederic-chesnais-presenting-at-gaming-day-2020

Wow, that is just sad. They had a very narrow window of opportunity for release this year to avoid being completely drowned out by the hype machines of Sony and Microsoft. But when the PS5 and Series X Do release, it will be WAY too late for any kind of decent reception for this thing. Not that it ever had a reasonable chance anyway! 

Also: “Continued exploitation of classic Atari catalog”... that says it all right there ?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

The lack of tacos is disturbing.

[With a slight wave of hand] - These aren't the tacos you're looking for... 

Now, I just want to be first in saying:

HAPPY 3RD ANNIVERSARY "New Atari Console that Ataribox?" thread!! 

We need a Goochman interview party with tacos all around just to ask...  Did you know what you would start by uttering the words:

"Woodgrain is back in style it seems..............."  

We should make T-shirts of this phrase because Goochman clearly had Nostradamus quality accuracy by adding  to the words so many extra "............................................."

• Like 7

^^ I second this, Goochman, this might just well be the thread that marks the death of Atari... again.

It will be only fitting for Goochman to utter the final post in this thread;

"ATARI IS DEAD! LONG LIVE TACOS!!!!"

• Like 4

A little confused here.  Based on the last batch of videos, the hardware looks done, although underwhelming.   What's the problem now?

The shutdown obviously bought them some time.  But now they can't even say for sure it will be out in another 6.5 months?  So back in November when they said "Weeks, not months," that was obviously incorrect, since they're now effectively saying "Months, not weeks...hopefully not years."

Not sure why people continue to support this mess.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Many possible reasons. take your pick
1- They have no intention of backing this console, they just want to make Atari look like a good purchase
2- They just want it to solidify future infringement lawsuits
3- They have absolutely no devs to make games
4- Ran out of funds to produce more than 500 units
5- Douchebaggery
6- software is not finished
7- backend is not finished (they plan to have a subscriptions service)
8- They suck
9- They know once it is released everyone will find out it is a POS dead console in youtube reviews.
10- Nintendo Power
11- Sega Does what Atari Don't
12- Coleco Chameleon?
13- Software rips off elements of other game systems / scared of lawsuits a headin' thier ways
14- Lack of Tacos
15- Forgot to order 10,000 Dessicant packs to put into the packaging box
16- Bad Moon Rising
17 -No controllers to ship
18- Drunk
19- Waiting for the 2021 Holiday season...
20- Waiting for the device componets to age so they can get a discount.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, OCAT said:

Many possible reasons. take your pick
1- They have no intention of backing this console, they just want to make Atari look like a good purchase
2- They just want it to solidify future infringement lawsuits
3- They have absolutely no devs to make games
4- Ran out of funds to produce more than 500 units
5- Douchebaggery
6- software is not finished
7- backend is not finished (they plan to have a subscriptions service)
8- They suck
9- They know once it is released everyone will find out it is a POS dead console in youtube reviews.
10- Nintendo Power
11- Sega Does what Atari Don't
12- Coleco Chameleon?
13- Software rips off elements of other game systems / scared of lawsuits a headin' thier ways
14- Lack of Tacos
15- Forgot to order 10,000 Dessicant packs to put into the packaging box
16- Bad Moon Rising
17 -No controllers to ship
18- Drunk
19- Waiting for the 2021 Holiday season...
20- Waiting for the device componets to age so they can get a discount.

All of the above

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Futurefon Dragonfly Sentence hearing was only 2 days away (June 11) now it isdelayed yet again until October 28th.
Dang, and I really wanted to see this guy get the chair |_, :D
Another Indiegogo scammer goes free, for now.

I will trade 1000 Tacos just to see the Atari team in shackles loaded into the paddy wagon. They will one day pay for thier hubris...

On 6/8/2020 at 7:03 AM, Scotterpop said:

Wow, that is just sad. They had a very narrow window of opportunity for release this year to avoid being completely drowned out by the hype machines of Sony and Microsoft. But when the PS5 and Series X Do release, it will be WAY too late for any kind of decent reception for this thing. Not that it ever had a reasonable chance anyway! 

Also: “Continued exploitation of classic Atari catalog”... that says it all right there ?

TBH, it was way too late back in 2017, since all they really had was an idea on paper and nothing else. This thing was DOA with the big three rolling out upgrades or new consoles then. The brand new goal post of the end of the year isn't surprising in the least, although they reached a new level of moron to claim that it's more powerful than the Switch. Even if it was (which it isn't, RAM is only one of many factors) the Switch still has a competent team behind it+billions of dollars+1,000s of games+an innovative setup, where as the Tacobox is a barebones PC with a dinky VCS case.

As usual, tacos win. Current score: 1,987,000,785,542 [Tacos], -3 million [Atari]

giphy.gif  

• Like 5

The only way this project ever had a hope of being successful was to focus on a simple nostalgia box: play the old games very well and have the look of something that reminded people of the old Atari machine.  People would have bought it just for the looks of the thing as originally conceived even though they could play the games just as well on practically any other computing device in existence.

It was doomed as soon as they started talking about it being any sort of competition to the established players.  Much better organized, better funded attempts at carving out a new niche have failed (see Ouya), and even Nintendo retreated from direct competition with Microsoft and Sony and went in a somewhat different direction (focusing more on the great power of its IP than hardware specs).

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, jamm said:

The only way this project ever had a hope of being successful was to focus on a simple nostalgia box: play the old games very well and have the look of something that reminded people of the old Atari machine.  People would have bought it just for the looks of the thing as originally conceived even though they could play the games just as well on practically any other computing device in existence.

In my opinion we have no further to look than the Amico for what could have been. The Amico project is exactly what the Atari VCS project should have been. The Amico has a clear target audience, clear vision for its software, clear vision for what the hardware should do, etc. While the Amico is still a niche product at best, that's perfectly fine as long as you can create a sustainable business from it. And I think they can. I just don't see how what the VCS is offering - whenever it actually releases in volume - it can have ambitions beyond "micro niche." It has little more overall market potential than the Atari-branded Raspberry Pi from Micro Center. 

• Like 7

On 6/8/2020 at 5:52 PM, Agillig said:

A little confused here.  Based on the last batch of videos, the hardware looks done, although underwhelming.   What's the problem now?

I'm guessing they do not have or might not be willing to spend the money to produce the actual product.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

While the Amico is still a niche product at best, that's perfectly fine as long as you can create a sustainable business from it. And I think they can. 

they certainly do a better effort, but I can't picture who is the niche market.

What kids will want to play that "with the family" when they'll see Playstations, Xbox, and Switches everywhere  ?

If parents are convinced to buy that to play with their kids, I picture a lot of sad kids at Christmas ?

As for adults who want simpler games, don't they just play with their phones or their cheap laptops ?