IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

^LOL

This entire Debacle is just begging to be Gas lit. I mean it will not take much at all, people are actually convinced this console will fly, even with the massive failures before, and I am not counting the Coco Chameleon. The only niche game system I see as being successful in the past decade is the Xavix Sport, and that was a Japan thing.

I this console can make it, then I should win the lottery this week... TWICE!

Imma go buy some tickets o.o-3|$|

Edited by OCAT

Screenshot 2020-06-27 15.07.31.png

Doesn’t that Classic Controller look a bit odd?  All the prototypes shown had the part inside the orange ring to be concave and here it is even with the rest of the controller body.  It doesn’t look like the stick has any space to actually move.  It looks photoshopped to me.  Has there been any footage of anyone even using the Classic Controller?

• Like 5

I don't think it's photoshopped but it is different than originally intended. It felt like the original design was adaptive lighting for the ring (corsair style lighting? That actually would have got a lot more sales, the controller would probably sell more than the console).

I questioning if it even looks like it lights up at all, looks like a print, bright ish orange but not something that actually lights up. 

1 hour ago, Saldo said:

Screenshot 2020-06-27 15.07.31.png

Doesn’t that Classic Controller look a bit odd?  All the prototypes shown had the part inside the orange ring to be concave and here it is even with the rest of the controller body.  It doesn’t look like the stick has any space to actually move.  It looks photoshopped to me.  Has there been any footage of anyone even using the Classic Controller?

Here is the render on GameStop’s website. Looks different like you said,but maybe it’s the angle.

I’ve been most interested in this since it’s announcement, yet all the “footage” shows a wired controller. I just have a hard time believing anything the Atari folks say. 

I’ve always said sell us the controller and the new Atari shell and the enthusiast community will take care of the rest.

EAEA5F2C-8936-41CC-9C1E-D68E7C1B3C27.png

Edited by MarioMan88
Typo

1 hour ago, digdugnate said:

junky one with the C64 Mini

Both the old and new design of their joystick is absolutely horrible, but the full sized TheC64 Maxi with the keyboard is pretty well made and uncanny.  It's actually my favorite reproduction retro console so far, and I really wish Atari was doing stuff like that instead.  A full size reproduction of an Atari 800 or one of the other Atari 8-bit computers would be amazing.

And despite Covid, TheC64 just announced that they've delivered new inventory of the full size TheC64 to European distributors and are close to releasing a US version.

• Like 4

On 6/27/2020 at 10:26 PM, GoldLeader said:

^I watched about 90 seconds worth and I gotta admit, until now I had no idea how a "Pong Quest" game could work.   Now,  I think it would be fun, if it was on a console and played with a joystick for exploring/moving/overworld type stuff, and a Paddle for the Pong battles.

And yet, Atari has never mentioned whether or not this game would grace their unconsole.   And even though "No news is good news",  I highly doubt it will.

If anyone needs a shining example of Atari's incompetence, this is it. We've mentioned it before, but everything that they've published over the past three years should have had a "Also coming/coming soon to the Atari VCS" line or badge on it. Their mobile games (if you have an iOS/Android build, doing a PC one isn't difficult) should all be there; and if they were competent, they should eye some remasters of their XB360/PS3 era stuff like Star Raiders and Yars' Revenge. Not because they were good (although a remaster is an opportunity to fix stuff), but because you can't just "build it and they(developers) will come" when it comes down to a game console.

Since it's their number #1 revenue generator among games, a new & exclusive Rollercoaster Tycoon should have been the pack-in title for it. There never should have been a question about it.  And yet, even with Pong Quest, which has to be the highest profile original release that they've done in a long time, no mention of it nor RT on the VCS at all. This is rudimentary marketing that even a slug could figure out, yet it's beyond Atari & UberStrategist. 

• Like 8

On 6/28/2020 at 10:39 AM, Mikebloke said:

Uberstrategist can't possibly do any worse than Atari can at marketing their device, in fact, if they do nothing, they still did better than Atari can at marketing the device.

Good Luck Uberstrategist, wouldn't want your job!

I hate to tell you this, but Uberstrategist has been working with Atari on the VCS for quite a while.

Edited by The Historian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

59 minutes ago, TACODON said:

Check out atarivcs.com/support

Manuals are online.

If the "Manuals" are correct, the paddle function appears to have been removed* from the "Classic" Joystick.

support-2.jpg

*Maybe removed isn't the right word.  Perhaps, never existed? 

Edited by RedWolfJC
clarification
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

"

Positioning the Atari VCS in your Home

Place your Atari VCS on a flat, stable surface that is well-ventilated, relatively cool, and away from direct heat sources. Don't put other objects on top of the Atari VCS. Do not place the Atari VCS on top of something that generates heat. And avoid putting anything directly behind the vents at the back corners of the Atari VCS. The Atari VCS is designed to be displayed openly and device performance will also benefit from placement in a well-ventilated location."

lol-

• Like 5

Like mentioned earlier I would be more worried about the stick breaking. Might be why there's no mention of paddle capability? 

1 minute ago, TACODON said:

You can't remove features from vaporware... allegedly 

They made it to retail though!!!

• Haha 3

"Adding a Modern Twist

Now, let’s talk about the “twists.” The biggest twist of all (quite literally) is the inclusion of a rotating paddle function in the Classic Joystick. As most long-time gamers know, there are many classic games, such as Pong, Breakout, Night Driver and others, that are still best-experienced using Atari’s Paddle Controllers instead of the CX40 or other input device. Our new joystick combines the best of both worlds by putting the rotation right into the stick for whenever you are playing a game that is best-suited to a paddle: Simply rotate the stick between your thumb and fingers.

We unanimously agreed on including the paddle integration, and the team had a short list of other innovative and fun ideas to upgrade and modernize the new joystick experience."

----

So I guess Pong, Breakout, Night Driver and others will not be on the system, or it will not be the "Best Experience", much like this 3 year debacle Atari

Allegedly

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 2

^ They will call you a blasphemer!

Well at least the 10,000 original backers will have a Manual they can download for the $300 they spent, I do not see why this went live now, only 96 of them are in the wild, you telling me they could not xerox 96 manuals and include them in the box? If these are for vendors to evaluate why would you jerk them around making them download a manual? Atari should be on their knees begging the stores to sell them and give them floor space that is not next to the washrooms

Too bad, i did not pay for one and I get the perk of the free manual xD

• Like 1