IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

During gameplay the LED lights will glow brighter as the joystick is pushed or rotated to indicate direction. Game developers are able to add their own effects to activate the LED ring during gameplay

Honest to God, if this adaptive lighting is sufficiently modifyable to users as well as developers, I would genuinely consider buying one. For all the bashing I do, I would genuinely consider buying something that lights up in pretty ways. 

Edit:rotated. Confirmation of paddle feature or old text left in???? 

Edited by Mikebloke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OCAT said:

"Adding a Modern Twist

Now, let’s talk about the “twists.” The biggest twist of all (quite literally) is the inclusion of a rotating paddle function in the Classic Joystick. As most long-time gamers know, there are many classic games, such as Pong, Breakout, Night Driver and others, that are still best-experienced using Atari’s Paddle Controllers instead of the CX40 or other input device. Our new joystick combines the best of both worlds by putting the rotation right into the stick for whenever you are playing a game that is best-suited to a paddle: Simply rotate the stick between your thumb and fingers.

We unanimously agreed on including the paddle integration, and the team had a short list of other innovative and fun ideas to upgrade and modernize the new joystick experience."

----

So I guess Pong, Breakout, Night Driver and others will not be on the system, or it will not be the "Best Experience", much like this 3 year debacle Atari

Allegedly

IIRC, every time someone asked Atari about the twisting paddle joystick feature, their response was "Huh, yeah.  Neat idea.  We'll see. For illustration purposes only.  Allegedly.  No refunds."

They never committed to the feature, but took every step to make it look like it was their top priority. 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 11:27 PM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Yep. Making games isn't a cheap business. There is a reason that so many titles go multi-plat; Developers are businesses first, as you can't make games without making money.

When Nintendo released the WiiU in 2012, it sold around 425,000 units in that first month. Despite being the successor to one of the hottest gaming consoles of all time, and having a name like Nintendo attached to it, all that wasn't enough to keep 3rd party devs on board. They focused their resources elsewhere, and the WiiU hobbled along until it became a footnote. The VCS over it's lifetime won't even manage a sliver of the first month's worth of WiiU sales.

11-12k is nothing in this business. It's beyond a flop. Even the failed Ouya did better than that initially to the tune of 50-60k units. Atari has done nothing to fuel sales beyond that, and when people do finally get their little underpowered PC box, no one is suddenly going to scream "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" for something that can barely get CoD to work. Especially when you'll have the PS5, XBSX, Switch and even the Amico to compete with. No major studio is going to commit any kind of resource to it, it's just that simple. Nostalgia can't cover up for incompetence, and that+lawsuits is all Atari has left to peddle.

To stay in perspective...   Ouya sold over 1 million units, its best selling game, only sold 7,000 copies... so you can see and fully understand why no respectable developer house is going to sign up to make any new games for the Tacobox.    Games are only developed here on the classic Atari consoles because people have a passion for them and want to see the consoles stay active with new games.  If it wasn't for the hobbyist community supporting the Atari consoles since the mid 90's, no one would even remember Atari's name since Atari itself completely abandoned the consoles in 92 and then its Jaguar console was a failure and failed so bad, that Atari itself bowed out of existence in 96 to become a part of JTS.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

Honest to God, if this adaptive lighting is sufficiently modifyable to users as well as developers, I would genuinely consider buying one. For all the bashing I do, I would genuinely consider buying something that lights up in pretty ways. 

How often do you stare at your controller while playing?

That feature seemed like an added cost, useless gimmick even over and above the rest of the nonsense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, racerx said:

How often do you stare at your controller while playing?

That feature seemed like an added cost, useless gimmick even over and above the rest of the nonsense.

Depends how much I'm showing off in front of my 4yo I guess!

Of all the gimmicks, its one of the few that made any sense long term.

Edited by Mikebloke

33 minutes ago, OCAT said:

^ Nasty, just like most "free" mobile games, they will not run if it is in airplane mode because it cannot track you and serve up adds.

I don't know if this is just an apple thing, because on android I play hundreds of games completely ad free because I turn internet off. Its brilliant, no ads, no slowdown.

At least Atari only took a little under 9 hours to respond to this question about PC Mode, as well as, answering other questions people asked 

Screenshot (408).png

this answer from Atari in regards to showing off packaging is hilarious

Tamicos: Meatless/Cheesy/Cornhole Snack 8 hours ago

Also...any pictures yet showing the packaging for the new ATARI VCS-400/800? Thank you.

Atari

Yes to both, as we've told you before. But I feel like our idea of soon and yours are not the same. ;-)

Edited by TheRevWells
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Nathan Strum said:

Well how else are they going to mine your personal data?

I reckon they require an internet connection so they can generate revenue through serving you ads.

They're all about revenue; this seems the logical next step to me.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, tschak909 said:

Still wondering if anyone actually held the classic controllers while they were designing them. Those edges aren't even chamfered properly and that, combined with the idiotic ribbings on the base will cut your hands with extended use.

-Thom

True, though if they are really trying to shoot for a retro experience, controllers that destroy your hands is a must.

Or they will just fall apart.... one "feature" that remains a constant with cheap controllers from any era.

8 hours ago, OCAT said:

Well, Atari just released a new compilation multi-cartridge, Ashens video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6afic2b54M
skip to 6:30, the Menu UI kinda looks like Atacobox UI

They didn't release anything. As usual, they licensed some of their games for two Evercade cartridges. Also I really don't see the resemblance for the UI. ?

• Like 1

What's that I hear, clawing and gnashing of teeth?  It's trigger day for all the Atari VCS haters to spew more vitriol since we just received the update email "Update #31 from Atari VCS: Game, Stream, Connect Like Never Before" about Atari VCS".

Great update since now we know a launch title and have see actual footage of it and have the name of a 3rd party indie developer, Nickervision Studios who is affiliated with the and making games & content for the Atari VCS.

http://www.nickervision.com/?r=slt-eml-bck-a2e0&utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bck-07012020update&utm_term=

I love the art on this as is captures the feel of box & label art on old Atari 2600 games cartridges.  Wonderful nod to past with a contemporary update.

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how that's at all exciting.

Nickervision Studios has 1 developer (Adam Nickerson).

Missile Command: Recharged is already available for anyone to buy on Steam and 4 other platforms.

It costs $2.99.

How is that a launch title for the VCS that will drive any system sales?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

38 minutes ago, aramis said:

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how that's at all exciting.

Nickervision Studios has 1 developer (Adam Nickerson).

Missile Command: Recharged is already available for anyone to buy on Steam and 4 other platforms.

It costs $2.99.

How is that a launch title for the VCS that will drive any system sales?

I honestly think this is a big win for the VCS. At least it has a game that has exclusive features on the VCS. I own Recharged in the Switch and it honestly is a really fun game.

Will this make the VCS a success--highly unlikely, but I think anything is a win as I had zero expectations after reading all of the negativity over the past few years.

I always thought the VCS would be a niche device at best and it looks like they are heading for that. If they continue to push some of the rereleases with added content, I'll probably pick one up.

Ultimately, the fact is there is no room in the gaming market for another console competitor anyway. Even if Atari released a Xbox / PS5 competitor, it would go nowhere.

I'll admit, I'm a sucker for nostalgic and niche products as I sit here looking at my Ouya, N-Gage, and Gizmondo, but, what the heck, a company named Atari releasing a console in 2020 that has updated versions of Atari classics is going to get me regardless of the background.

Edited by bmadgames
  • Like 1

I eat my words about Atari not being able to attract Developers to make games :(

"I am learning to make games"

I expect AAA quality games from Knickerbockers Studios.. or N.S for short :D

ns.png

fail.png

Well I give Atari credit they seem to HAVE something, Amico on the other hand... ooooh not so much. And these 2 ARE direct competitors, neither one can compete with the big 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV1EKzFUyT8

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, bmadgames said:

I honestly think this is a big win for the VCS. At least it has a game that has exclusive features on the VCS. I own Recharged in the Switch and it honestly is a really fun game.

It wasn't clear to me from the video what the exclusive features are. It does say "optimized for VCS," which could just as easily mean that it was simply tweaked so it will run acceptably on VCS. 

• Thanks 1

Was there an announcement that I missed?

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/07/01/ataris-new-console-the-vcs-launches-this-fall

"The Atari VCS, the console/PC hybrid from the legendary game company, is finally releasing this fall. Atari VCS backer units for those who supported the system's Indiegogo campaign will ship by October, while all subsequent pre-orders and retail units will arrive holiday 2020."

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RedWolfJC said:

Was there an announcement that I missed?

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/07/01/ataris-new-console-the-vcs-launches-this-fall

"The Atari VCS, the console/PC hybrid from the legendary game company, is finally releasing this fall. Atari VCS backer units for those who supported the system's Indiegogo campaign will ship by October, while all subsequent pre-orders and retail units will arrive holiday 2020."

This reads like GI regurgitating last Atari press releases from 2018.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

What's that I hear, clawing and gnashing of teeth?  It's trigger day for all the Atari VCS haters to spew more vitriol since we just received the update email "Update #31 from Atari VCS: Game, Stream, Connect Like Never Before" about Atari VCS".

Great update since now we know a launch title and have see actual footage of it and have the name of a 3rd party indie developer, Nickervision Studios who is affiliated with the and making games & content for the Atari VCS.

http://www.nickervision.com/?r=slt-eml-bck-a2e0&utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bck-07012020update&utm_term=

I love the art on this as is captures the feel of box & label art on old Atari 2600 games cartridges.  Wonderful nod to past with a contemporary update.

oh ho, that's fantastic.  you TOTALLY SHOWED US! ?  My favorite is how you used the word 'trigger'.  Reminds me of a favorite part from Clerks:

Indecisive Video Customer : They say so much, but they never tell you if it's any good. Are either one of these any good? Sir?

Randal Graves : What?

Indecisive Video Customer : Are either one of these any good?

Randal Graves : I don't watch movies.

Indecisive Video Customer : Well, have you heard anything about either one of them?

Randal Graves : I find it's best to stay out of other people's affairs.

Indecisive Video Customer : You mean you haven't heard anybody say anything about either one of these?

Randal Graves : Nope.

Indecisive Video Customer : [turns around, then shows Randal the same movies]  Well, what about these two?

Randal Graves : Oh, they suck.
Indecisive Video Customer : These are the same two movies! You weren't paying any attention!
Randal Graves : No, I wasn't.

Indecisive Video Customer : I don't think your manager would appreciate it if...

Randal Graves : I don't appreciate your ruse, ma'am.

Indecisive Video Customer : I beg your pardon?

Randal Graves : Your ruse. Your cunning attempt to trick me.

Indecisive Video Customer : I was only pointing out that you weren't paying any attention to what I was saying.

Randal Graves : And I hope it feels good.

Indecisive Video Customer : You hope *what* feels good?

Randal Graves : I hope it feels so good to be right. There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there?

Indecisive Video Customer : Well, this is the last time I rent here.

Randal Graves : You'll be missed.

Indecisive Video Customer : Screw you!

[leaves]

Randal Graves : [runs to the door]  Hey! You're not allowed to rent here anymore!

Jay : [outside; has no idea what's going on]  Yeah!

• Like 5

Missile Command Recharged is available now for Linux on Steam, so what is being announced here?  It's already been available for the Atari VCS -- just kinda need the actual console hardware to play it.  Also no mention of Tempest 4000 for over a year even though people keep asking about it on IGG.

• Like 3