IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

26 minutes ago, Agillig said:

Supporters are happy, and I guess they're getting closer to the finish line.  But I have to imagine most aren't going to think the race was worth the prize.

I think most will be happy (or at least claim to be happy) just having the console with its light up logo in their hands. I've said it before, but what it does or doesn't do is of secondary importance at best. They've got a new Atari console! They win! Atari's back!

There are about 10,000 or so of these people. There aren't many more, we saw that with the way the IGG campaign tapered off to nothing. So again, good for them...but there isn't much more market space for a redundant piece of hardware. I can easily be proven wrong, with the announcements of new, compelling, exclusive titles. I think we all know the odds of that happening, though.

Edited by racerx
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Paul Slocum said:

Amico has rights to make their own exclusive versions of Atari's 12 most valuable retrogaming IPs (Centipede, Missile Command, Yars' Revenge, etc.).  I'm still pondering how that happened. 

He probably offered Fred some money. Atari likes it when people offer them money. I'd bet that almost anyone could "exclusively license" games from Atari for a rival, speculative console for a few bucks.

Let's bring back the RetroVGS!! Who's with me?

(Mike Kennedy) "I've got a Jaguar shell!"

(John Carlsen) "I've got some electrical tape!"

(Steve Woita) "I've got an old Super NES!"

(Chris Cardillo) "I've got a brand!"

C'mon gang - let's put on a console!!

7 hours ago, jaybird3rd said:

For whatever it's worth, I don't think it's fair to disparage these independent developers.  They may be small, but we've seen plenty of instances where individuals and small independent publishers, even those just starting out, have produced high-quality games.

And every single one of them have created more games than "Atari" itself has.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, RedWolfJC said:

Yeah after some digging, I found the most recent press release here: https://www.atari-investisseurs.fr/en/press-releases/

But that only says Fall 2020.  Nothing about October.

No idea where Game Informer would have gotten "October" unless they know more than is public?

Of course they could just be assuming/guessing October because "Fall"

If it was really shipping in October, Atari would just directly say that. Their silence does not provide any support to the accuracy of the article.

This is a pattern I've seen over and over on the IGG comments.  Posters will make claims about the VCS / games / status. Atari is silent to those claims and does not respond to them.   Posters then run with them as fact. Very clever by Atari as a way to make it seem like things are happening.  Clearly nothings happening or Atari would confirm some of them or say something definitive.

Also what BS Atari is giving about their prior statements on shipping dates.  "Weeks, not months". Their explanation as to why that did not happen:  we believed it when we said it.  By that logic say anything you want. When its shown to be not true, oh well we thought it was true when we said it.  Try that with your spouse when you say you'll do something and then don't. But honey I meant it and it was it true when I said I would, even though I didn't do it.

Edited by rayik
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Nathan Strum said:

He probably offered Fred some money. Atari likes it when people offer them money. I'd bet that almost anyone could "exclusively license" games from Atari for a rival, speculative console for a few bucks.

It just doesn't make much sense to me if they're serious about launching a console, which is difficult even with good games and more valuable IP.  They have very little IP that's worth anything, and they basically licensed all of it to Amico.  But of course it's not that much of a stretch to think that they were never really serious about launching a console that was competitive in any way in the first place.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Paul Slocum said:

For some reason they confirmed it only on their dead subreddit (not that I believe anything they say until I see it):

If it was true, you would expect Atari to confirm that on their IGG page to their backers.

Edited by rayik
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, RedWolfJC said:

Yeah after some digging, I found the most recent press release here: https://www.atari-investisseurs.fr/en/press-releases/

But that only says Fall 2020.  Nothing about October.

No idea where Game Informer would have gotten "October" unless they know more than is public?

Of course they could just be assuming/guessing October because "Fall"

image.thumb.png.d262c60918d5bc665f6a16c0a8e775fe.png

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2020/07/linux-powered-atari-vcs-ships-for-backers-in-october-full-release-by-end-of-year

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Perhaps Atari has a surprise for us all!

Angry Videogame Nerd and iRate Gamer are going to review something together... The Atari VCS launch Title?

Mabe a secret game, E.T's Revenge for the Atari VCS

etrevenge.jpg

Edited by OCAT
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, rayik said:

If it was true, you would expect Atari to confirm that on their IGG page to their backers.

Yeah it just seems odd that the one place it is absent is the place it really needs to be.

Posting on twitter and reddit is fine, but wouldn't you want to relay that message directly to backers?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OCAT said:

Perhaps Atari has a surprise for us all!

Angry Videogame Nerd and iRate Gamer are going to review something together... The Atari VCS launch Title?

Mabe a secret game, E.T's Revenge for the Atari VCS

etrevenge.jpg

Would this Atari still hold the rights to ET?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tickled_Pink said:

Would this Atari still hold the rights to ET?

im pretty sure Universal still owns the rights to the movie property, but I can't find easily where the video game rights would fall given Atari's colorful history. :)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Paul Slocum said:

For some reason they confirmed it only on their dead subreddit (not that I believe anything they say until I see it):

"Fully optimized" = We mapped the buttons to our controller, wur special

"..deeper level of immersion only available on the Atari VCS" = The controller vibrates when there's an explosion, which would've been news if it were 1996.

tenor.gif?itemid=10279314

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I had changed my name to Fred Chesnais on IGG and was having fun posting in the comments. But then recieved a nice email from Atari to knock it off or get banned. Funny how they never respond to my emails but you change your name to Fred and within a day they can magically find time to contact you. 

Also this wouldn't be the 1st time they announced something on Reddit and no place else. Nor the 1st time they did that and the IGG interns didn't know about it. Clearly different people or teams run the different socials for them and they clearly don't get the same memos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

49 minutes ago, TACODON said:

I had changed my name to Fred Chesnais on IGG and was having fun posting in the comments. But then recieved a nice email from Atari to knock it off or get banned. Funny how they never respond to my emails but you change your name to Fred and within a day they can magically find time to contact you. 

Also this wouldn't be the 1st time they announced something on Reddit and no place else. Nor the 1st time they did that and the IGG interns didn't know about it. Clearly different people or teams run the different socials for them and they clearly don't get the same memos.

I don’t think they get much, other than how to throw up a “pre-order” link, or “stay tuned” ?

Edit: They also get the fact you are indeed not Fred Chesnais?

Edited by MarioMan88
Another joke
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, MarioMan88 said:

I don’t think they get much, other than how to throw up a “pre-order” link, or “stay tuned” ?

Edit: They also get the fact you are indeed not Fred Chesnais?

I started my posts with bonjour. I was hoping that would keep them guessing.

• Haha 15

1 hour ago, TACODON said:

Well, it's such a HUGE company...or it was back in 1981. Ask any shill and they think that Atari was cryogenically frozen then and just recently revived.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TACODON said:

Yeah but... October!  It's a real month!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Well, it's such a HUGE company...or it was back in 1981. Ask any shill and they think that Atari was cryogenically frozen then and just recently revived.

You mean they weren't?   Ha, was the writing on the wall then for them to know they were going to bleed millions of dollars and so they could freeze everyone and unthaw when video games were cool again?  (Which was like 4 years later).  Oh wait, they probably did freeze, but they couldn't figure out how to unthaw, so somewhere underground in New Mexico there is a facility with all the old engineers...

Time for another documentary to dig them up!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TACODON said:

I'm just concerned about one thing still? Will it play Netflix for my mom? She really needs Netflix in her life.

"It is with heavy hearts that we inform our backers we are no longer supporting the Mom-Netflix group"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3