IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Architect #3

My guess,
-1 Kevtris
-2 Mr. Lee
-3 John Carlson

Wow, what a wild and exhaustive ride this has been. Atari still does not even have a console out and is being sued, not a good start.
Amico is getting funds from who knows where, no one is sure anything is complete.

Well let's look at some facts:

"Atari" was Infogrames so they're just operating with a shell name.

"Atari" used Scam-de-gogo to push their console/PC and it turned into a dumpster fire.

"Atari" sues just about anyone who uses their joystick design, Pong, Breakout, etc.

"Atari" has given others the royal screw-job by stealing/not paying.

"Atari" spent $50K for a corporate song that was a complete turd.

"Atari" is distributing some worthless, Bitcoin-ish currency and hopes people will fall for it.

"Atari" must not like tacos.

(Probably other things "Atari" has done or will do in the future...feel free to to add any others.)

So I would say....very disreputable.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

"Atari" spent $50K for a corporate song that was a complete turd."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=522bVV-82qQ

Wow! I could not even sit through the first 30 seconds ?
$50k in 2002 is over 70K (inflation) ? That is a lot of Tacos ?
If Anyone wanted to invest in Atari, I would love to show them this responsible use of money and watch the reaction.
This auditory diarrhea cost $50K in 2002 money, Self indulgent does not even begin to describe thier actions for commissioning this.

On a side note, the lady sounds like Tina Fabrique (SP.) The Theme song from one of my favorite childhood TV shows,
'A READING RAINBOW' ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPqpmSWwuGk

But you don't have to take my word for it! ?

(I got the link for the Atari song from Guru Larry's Tweet https://mobile.twitter.com/LarryBundyJr/status/722542989747306496) Edited by OCAT
  • Thanks 3

If that was a song from 30 years ago. It would have made more sense. 

I will say this those the singer was good. I feel bad that they have that song listed as a career highlight though. 

Otherwise I am speechless on this song. I just hope they tweek it and bring it back.

Atari Rocks!

13 minutes ago, TACODON said:

Did that one guy give up on his vaporware love magazine? I haven't heard any mention of that thing in a while.

If you're talking about the Iguana guy... he sold off the magazine.  Along with (I think) anything else tangently related to video games.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, frankodragon said:

Well let's look at some facts:

"Atari" was Infogrames so they're just operating with a shell name.

"Atari" used Scam-de-gogo to push their console/PC and it turned into a dumpster fire.

"Atari" sues just about anyone who uses their joystick design, Pong, Breakout, etc.

"Atari" has given others the royal screw-job by stealing/not paying.

"Atari" spent $50K for a corporate song that was a complete turd.

"Atari" is distributing some worthless, Bitcoin-ish currency and hopes people will fall for it.

"Atari" must not like tacos.

(Probably other things "Atari" has done or will do in the future...feel free to to add any others.)

So I would say....very disreputable.

Wow, I didn't know about that....song. It would be less hilarious if it was made to be a troll, lol.

Some other fun facts about "Atari"

...whoredlicensed out their beloved name to some hotel design group

...crowdscammed people on the "Gameband" gaming watch

...also ran a bizarre crowdfunding run for Roller Coaster Tycoon where they praised themselves over generating $2bn in revenues, but were begging for money, and they admitted that they had the right to use the money for things that had nothing to do with game development.

...made the ridiculous claim that only they could make "Haunted House" games

...didn't know anything about their Tacobox, looked like morons in front of a journalist asking questions, then tried to paint the journalist as a troll

...releases schlock versions of their existing IP, where it would have been better to just leave the IP in peace

...allegedly didn't pay contestants who appeared on their short-lived, but aired game shows (gathered evidence on that some hundred pages back in this thread :P )

If Atari was an RPG character with a world reputation score, it'd definitely be in the negatives.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, godslabrat said:

If you're talking about the Iguana guy... he sold off the magazine.  Along with (I think) anything else tangently related to video games.

I really don't recall the name. I know he spammed the IGG page everytime a "magazine" released. I will admit he was good with photoshop.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Historian said:

That was a licensing deal, not actually Atari.

I'm sure in three years, that's how l'Atari will try to spin the taco box. 

It's still a hardware project with their name on it that got tanked.  Part of the risk of a licensing deal is that it's your name/reputation on the line if something goes sideways.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2020 at 10:27 PM, Agillig said:

So, the 400 model has 8 GB of ram.  For those of us who aren't tech savy, how does that compare to the base XBox One and PS4 models?

That's only for people who want to run Linux in Sandbox mode, it doesn't even matter for the emulated & small indy games that are planned.

And...existing consoles can run Borderlands at a smooth 60 FPS.

Edited by MrMaddog
Oops, forgot that this was days old now...

3 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Wow, I didn't know about that....song. It would be less hilarious if it was made to be a troll, lol.

Some other fun facts about "Atari"

...whoredlicensed out their beloved name to some hotel design group

...crowdscammed people on the "Gameband" gaming watch

...also ran a bizarre crowdfunding run for Roller Coaster Tycoon where they praised themselves over generating $2bn in revenues, but were begging for money, and they admitted that they had the right to use the money for things that had nothing to do with game development.

...made the ridiculous claim that only they could make "Haunted House" games

...didn't know anything about their Tacobox, looked like morons in front of a journalist asking questions, then tried to paint the journalist as a troll

...releases schlock versions of their existing IP, where it would have been better to just leave the IP in peace

...allegedly didn't pay contestants who appeared on their short-lived, but aired game shows (gathered evidence on that some hundred pages back in this thread :P )

If Atari was an RPG character with a world reputation score, it'd definitely be in the negatives.

There's so much that nobody can keep up with it all:

- The abandoned Asteroids Outpost: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-01-whats-going-on-in-asteroids-outpost

https://steamcommunity.com/app/330210/discussions/

- Their attempts at launching gambling games in Kenya (which has been mentioned repeatedly in their company reports) where there is a gambling addiction crisis due to lack of regulation/enforcement:

• Like 3

On 7/1/2020 at 4:16 PM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Watch out PS5, the Atari VCS has a slightly optimized version of a mobile game remake coming to it!! Us haters need to hang our heads in shame!

I was listening to IGN Unlocked, their Xbox podcast, and they talked about whether someone besides Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo would actually try putting out a console, and consensus was, Why would anyone do something stupid like that?

I know the fanboys in their echo chambers like to think this is the biggest thing since bread came sliced, but 99% of the general population (probably higher, actually) know nothing and care nothing about this thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Agamon said:

I was listening to IGN Unlocked, their Xbox podcast, and they talked about whether someone besides Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo would actually try putting out a console, and consensus was, Why would anyone do something stupid like that?...

Actually, I can give you a good canditate, Apple.
They have the spare cash and resources not to mention the infrastructure back end already in place, also the billing using iTunes cards.
Just please do not name it stupidity like Pippen or make it look like a toilet. Jam 3 of those Bionic chips and they have a contender xD
I would love to see Apple take Nintendo down a notch.

There's really no reason for anyone else to compete against the big three right now. There's a reason it's only been the big three for so many generations already. It's just too costly to compete effectively and incredibly hard to differentiate yourself. And sometimes the differentiation works, a la the Wii (at least to a point before sales fell off a cliff) and Switch, and sometimes it doesn't, a la the Wii U and Vita. Most companies couldn't absorb those gambles/forays, particularly since you're not only competing against the big three consoles, but also a healthy PC gaming segment and mobile.

For anyone who says Apple or Google should step in, there's no real incentive. They already make tons (TONS) of money doing exactly what they're doing and keeping games a part of their greater overall strategy, rather than a focus on a particular product. Google's Stadia and Apple's Arcade initiatives are probably the only logical paths forward, and as we've seen with Stadia, fraught with their own missteps and challenges.

With all of that in mind, there is always an opportunity to compete in a niche segment, like with the Amico or with the AtGames Legends Arcade Family of products, or yes, with the Atari VCS. Of course, with the latter, it still has yet to identify its niche in my opinion. In any case, if you do identify a niche and can make the economics work if you succeed in it, you really don't have to worry about what the bigger players are doing.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, The Historian said:

That was a licensing deal, not actually Atari.

My bad, I forget that they are mainly adept at "licensing," but interesting that the KS page is still up and Atari's name still all over it. You'd think that a reputable company would revoke said license and make sure that their name is removed from everything related to it. 

16 hours ago, Paul Slocum said:

There's so much that nobody can keep up with it all:

- The abandoned Asteroids Outpost: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-01-whats-going-on-in-asteroids-outpost

https://steamcommunity.com/app/330210/discussions/

- Their attempts at launching gambling games in Kenya (which has been mentioned repeatedly in their company reports) where there is a gambling addiction crisis due to lack of regulation/enforcement:

13 hours ago, racerx said:

They apparently don't bother paying their Kenyan folks either.

Ah yes, I knew I was forgetting something on those. This reeks of the phrase - Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me

How many times does Atari need to fool everyone before it overcomes the psyche drug of nostalgia?

Yet another example: Planet Coaster Dev Frontier sues RollerCoaster Tycoon World maker Atari - Reason: Atari lied about sales, Frontier found out about it, demanded what they were owed in royalties.

Another example that hasn't been well publicized is that Atari failing to pay up on their promised end led to the closure of a Wisconsin game studio.  The now defunct Human Head Studios had created the excellent game Minimum, with Atari funding development, until they just suddenly stopped. This was a major reason to instigating HHS' downfall, and left many players hanging since the online-focused game became inoperable. 

But gotta keep giving them money, cuz they've got the rights to that name we all grew up with. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

For anyone who says Apple or Google should step in, there's no real incentive. They already make tons (TONS) of money doing exactly what they're doing and keeping games a part of their greater overall strategy, rather than a focus on a particular product. Google's Stadia and Apple's Arcade initiatives are probably the only logical paths forward, and as we've seen with Stadia, fraught with their own missteps and challenges.

I've noticed that the biggest shills for the VCS are constantly using Apple or Google as comparisons with Atari, although it's as absurd as trying to compare the features of a 50-year old half-eaten apple with a SpaceX rocket. Both of their gaming efforts have been failures so far, showing that just having billions of dollars and extremely well-known brand names aren't guarantees of success. Amazon also has a gaming division where they sunk millions into trying to come up with exclusive gaming content for Amazon hardware devices, and that's been a grand flop. Just throwing money at something in the hopes of cashing in might work sometimes, but it's usually a failure when you don't have the understanding and vision for what you are doing.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

My bad, I forget that they are mainly adept at "licensing," but interesting that the KS page is still up and Atari's name still all over it. You'd think that a reputable company would revoke said license and make sure that their name is removed from everything related to it. 

Ah yes, I knew I was forgetting something on those. This reeks of the phrase - Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me

How many times does Atari need to fool everyone before it overcomes the psyche drug of nostalgia?

Yet another example: Planet Coaster Dev Frontier sues RollerCoaster Tycoon World maker Atari - Reason: Atari lied about sales, Frontier found out about it, demanded what they were owed in royalties.

Another example that hasn't been well publicized is that Atari failing to pay up on their promised end led to the closure of a Wisconsin game studio.  The now defunct Human Head Studios had created the excellent game Minimum, with Atari funding development, until they just suddenly stopped. This was a major reason to instigating HHS' downfall, and left many players hanging since the online-focused game became inoperable. 

But gotta keep giving them money, cuz they've got the rights to that name we all grew up with. 

This was back in 2009, but I am reminded of when Turbine took Atari to court for 30 million in damages. With a rather impressive list of grievances, underhanded dealings and outright contract breaches against Atari.

It is sad to see what was once an iconic monolith of gaming reduced to nothing more then a name being passed around between various conmen and scam artists; each one wringing just a little bit more out of the brand, not caring in the least how badly it damages the name 'Atari' in the process.

Forty years ago, Atari = Gaming in most peoples minds. Now you mention Atari and the first thing that pops to mind is lawsuits, scams and broken promises.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

https://www.engadget.com/2009-08-26-breaking-turbine-sues-atari-over-dungeons-and-dragons-online.html

Edited by Tavi
  • Like 1