IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

2 hours ago, Tavi said:

[snip]

Forty years ago, Atari = Gaming in most peoples minds. Now you mention Atari and the first thing that pops to mind is lawsuits, scams and broken promises.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Don't forget that Atari wasn't really all that "clean" back in the day, either...at least from an arcade perspective. It's like this latest incarnation of Atari, albeit in name only, somehow managed to inherit and amplify all that is bad about Atari, in any form...and none of the good.

Case in point, the 1981 Atari $50,000 World Championships arcade contest in Chicago. What a debacle.

- Operators purchased Atari arcade games, which came with a $100 credit around the time of this Championship.

- In reality, the $100 credit meant the Operator just had to pay $25, instead of $125, to get in on all of the Championship excitement.

- All they got for $25 was a packet of flyers, etc.

- They were then expected to promote and run local tournaments themselves, and foot the bill to get the winners to the big show in Chicago, and be excited about it (The winner of $50K could come from YOUR arcade!) (Heard this first-hand from an Operator that was going to be involved but backed out).

- All of the local qualifiers/winners were going to compete in Chicago, supposedly for $50K in prizes, on all Atari arcade games out then (up to October '81).

- In reality, there was Centipede in Chicago. Only Centipede. 200 Centipedes. That's it. (From what I can tell, none of the competitors knew that ahead of time)

- And, contest entrants had to get themselves there (or the Operator had to pay).

- And, pay $60 to enter.

- And, put quarters in the machines to boot.

- And, the machines were on timers.

Only 138 players showed up.

And, there was no winner...the checks bounced.

(Not sure if Atari or the event promoters ran off with the cash, or if it never even existed. But, Atari did try to offer some prizes afterwards...by going back to distributors and operators asking for donations...)

Edited by aramis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^ Yea well get used to it. This is how the game goes. Greed is the motivating factor in today's economy. If they can save $0.02 they will.

Look at SEARS, Radio Shack, DunkinDonuts, Panasonic, VIVITAR! (I have a pair of keychain Binoculars I got from the Dollar store with Vivitar printed on it)

The only defence we have are our spending dollars, unfortunately some people still have not learned how to spend money wisely.

Case A: If Atari was serious about releasing a system they will release it, so you will be able to pre-order it or buy in store for a slighly higher cost.

Case B: if they fail, then they fail and you lose no money

Case C: You hand over hundreds of dollars with abosultely no promise they will make anything OR deliver anything. (That is it, you hand over money and get nothing)

How can someone be so loyal to a brand name and willing to hand over money in hopes of getting some worthless mini PC years later.
Unless there are only 96 ever made and you get your hands on one of them (hint: you are not) This still will not be worth anything close to say an Air Raid cart.
You will probably be dead before this is worth anything DEAD!!!
I have a SEAAAAALED 4GB original iPhone from Apple, thing is worthless, maybe i get $1000 if someone is dumb enough to buy it, that took 13 years to get to this point. Never count on collectables as an investment.
Even if Atari fails hard, they win, they get to keep the IP and patents (if they are any) that they can sell off thanks to the donations of all the people that believed atari could! Now my goal is to buy one of these on liquidation for $99 (still too much) and watch the reactions of people who paid $400. Just like when Tim Atwood showed 2 sealed cases of Stadium Events and sent shockwaves throughout the collector snob douchbag clique. So if you ordered to get one of the low serial numbes 1st run, i am sure Atari is going to sell the first low serial numbers to the pre-orders over the backers. And that is after other people get the first 500 run. Your systems are going to be the last run.

You do not need con-men when people will willingly hand over money, sometimes I feel like I should join in and start a crowdfunding called
"give me your money and i throw a pie in your face" then after I collect $1million, I claim to run out of pies ??

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, aramis said:

But, Atari did try to offer some prizes afterwards...by going back to distributors and operators asking for donations...)

That's certainly one take, but generally Atari's credited with trying to salvage that fiasco, not causing it.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=272162

• Like 3

^ Yea, it is sad that people still treat him like that, Even Jobs lied to him and stiffed him out of cash on machine HE built. Now look at this sleezeball in a leather jacket. Hey look everyone! Woz is holding the next Atari! you remember Atari! huh kids! Atari!

Kids: No Grandpa WTF is an Atari.

https://youtu.be/a0G_8gHDsL8?t=388

36 minutes ago, OCAT said:

^ Umm, is this the videogame from almost 20 years ago?

Looks like part 2 is a free to play mobile game from 2012.  While I'm suffering through Halo Infinite this winter, lucky VCS owners will be immersed in this true classic.   So jealous!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OCAT said:

Oh dear, my condolences.
???

THQ=Think High Quality?

Yeah...THQ was like a reincarnated version of LJN.  A veritable crap factory.   People seemed to like their pro wrestling games on the N64, but that was it.  

4 hours ago, AtariLeaf said:

Good Lord this thing gets more pathetic with every lame announcement.

True that.  The closer this thing gets to release, the more entertaining it's going to be.   I'm sure the system will be made with the highest quality components, and the warranty department will be very helpful if anyone has issues. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Agillig said:

Yeah...THQ was like a reincarnated version of LJN.  A veritable crap factory.   People seemed to like their pro wrestling games on the N64, but that was it.  

True that.  The closer this thing gets to release, the more entertaining it's going to be.   I'm sure the system will be made with the highest quality components, and the warranty department will be very helpful if anyone has issues. 

lol- i think THQ was responsible for the SNES Home Alone game.  I rented that and was super disappointed.  ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Agillig said:

People seemed to like their pro wrestling games on the N64, but that was it.

No, that was not. In the end they published really great games, especially on PC: Red Faction, WH40K Dawn of War, STALKER, Metro 2033, the Darksiders series... ? I also think Devil's Third is underrated.

^ It is a coffin, here is a fire truck and fire extinguisher to save the dumster from burning too much when they thow the VCS into it, it is a perfectly good dumpster.

???

So now that Atari has finishes the patents, trade secrets, how come they are not updating all the backer fans?
I mean at the start it was all "we cannot divulge what we are doing because we need to keep this console a secret because it is so cutting edge we do not want anyone stealing the design", soooo after it is released and fully exposed in a teardown are you still going to maintain that secretive disposition?

Remember when John Carlson made that infamous COleco Chameleon video in the Kitchen (at Gunpoint allegedy)
He said the same thing.. patents.. secrets... https://youtu.be/xzJb22Buvbk?t=60

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^ I hope the Atari VCS will get a game called "Leisure Suit Atari" Fred can go around trying to seduce females into investing in his 'little' company. ?
Atari already has Gambling Hotels... seems appropriate, well not for minors, or anyone actually.

Edited by OCAT
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, OCAT said:

^ It is a coffin, here is a fire truck and fire extinguisher to save the dumster from burning too much when they thow the VCS into it, it is a perfectly good dumpster.

???

So now that Atari has finishes the patents, trade secrets, how come they are not updating all the backer fans?
I mean at the start it was all "we cannot divulge what we are doing because we need to keep this console a secret because it is so cutting edge we do not want anyone stealing the design", soooo after it is released and fully exposed in a teardown are you still going to maintain that secretive disposition?

Remember when John Carlson made that infamous COleco Chameleon video in the Kitchen (at Gunpoint allegedy)
He said the same thing.. patents.. secrets... https://youtu.be/xzJb22Buvbk?t=60

... which is absurd, as everything they've used has been off the shelf, open source, or IP they ALREADY OWN.  This thing is so NOT secret you could make one yourself.  And many have.

• Like 4

THQ ?

LJN ?

We going down (bleep) memory lane here ?

Only the worst (bleep) games money can buy ;-)

So we're putting the VCS / Atari in the same category ?

Once again... ( the new jingle for folks who've paid attention )

Has Atari Played You Today...       

• Like 2

7 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

No, that was not. In the end they published really great games, especially on PC: Red Faction, WH40K Dawn of War, STALKER, Metro 2033, the Darksiders series... ? I also think Devil's Third is underrated.

Yeah, it's not that bad, but Devil's Turd was a meme waiting to happen. ?

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Woulfe said:

THQ ?

LJN ?

We going down (bleep) memory lane here ?

Only the worst (bleep) games money can buy ;-)

So we're putting the VCS / Atari in the same category ?

Once again... ( the new jingle for folks who've paid attention )

Has Atari Played You Today...       

In Soviet Russia, Atari plays YOU!

What a console!

FAE0793C-B9A5-4DD8-B11C-4EB62A9176A5.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3