IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

^ please how exactly am i to "BUY" an Atari VCS?
Oh you mean "preorder" AKA lend Atari money so they can make interest on it and then refund it because they have nothing to sell.
Atari, an Open Sentence.. "That 96 units bragging rights have worn off 96 minutes after you posted it" Time to show up or shut up!
Oh, and if you think "no, they will never learn the truth" Dont worry, just because it is only 3 of you, I can assure you when 1 falls, he will bring down the others, I know squeelers when I see 'em. Show and Tell time! no one wants to see your pet Rock Cheeshead. (Allegedly)

• Like 1

The guy in the YouTube video mentions "there are screenshots" to prove his point that the Atacobox is real.  Well, those screenshots are likely to be photoshopped just like every other image Ataco has conjured up.  A lot of images have been photoshopped over the years to fool people.  Take for instance that guy holding a giant cat.  And for videos, (you all know by now) they're all staged to make it look like someone is using a working un-console.

When it comes to 96, I'm thinking that's the time, in seconds, when one boots up, then smoke comes out.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Agillig said:

Well, this guy seems optimistic.   To each his own, I suppose. 

I did try and watch all of this video but it was just tempest on repeat. Anyway, if it wasn't for everything the video in the previous post being highlighted, the failed projects for 6 years, the money begging but no product situation, dodgy dealings with their own staff going without pay, the flat out lies about their product... if they just told the truth (and released the box with a reasonable price tag) we would have been extremely neutral about it. As in, it would be a device, that exists, that most of us would probably regard as still too expensive, but would have some role for some people - might have even been a fair attempt at getting some original atari fan's respect for getting a product out with the hopes of something more exciting in the future. But no, everything about the business practice of Atari 2014 - present has been quite possibly the worst thing they can do consistently. The device itself may well work fine when (if) it releases, but Atari 2014 - present has not done itself any favours, it would take an act of Electronic Arts level of magnitude when they did the Command and Conquer Remaster and brought in the fans to repair their broken reputation. 

Anyway, TACOS.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Agillig said:

"I'm excited [only] because it boots into Windows" and "I always wanted an HTPC" and "I'm going to buy this thing and probably use it as an HTPC" is not terribly compelling reasoning, nor is, to paraphrase, "I have a lot of pirated movies I want to watch."

• Like 7

On 7/10/2020 at 8:04 AM, Bill Loguidice said:

With all of that in mind, there is always an opportunity to compete in a niche segment, like with the Amico or with the AtGames Legends Arcade Family of products, ...

...or with Arcade1Up. ;)

41 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I'm not talking about closed systems, but platforms that you can add games to. If they come out with a platform, then by all means they'd be added to the mix.

Hmm. I get it in principle, but... while VCS and at least one of the AtGames products are open platforms, Amico is reportedly a closed system as are the majority of the AtGames Legends line excluding Ultimate, no?

12 minutes ago, JeffVav said:

Hmm. I get it in principle, but... while VCS and at least one of the AtGames products are open platforms, Amico is reportedly a closed system as are the majority of the AtGames Legends line excluding Ultimate, no?

I said "AtGames Legends Arcade Family," which includes the Legends Ultimate, Legends Gamer, Legends Gamer Pro, Legends Pinball, and other home arcade series products. Those are all platforms because they allow third party games/apps and can play/add more games than are built-in. The Amico, VCS, Xbox Series X, PC, Switch, etc., work the same way. Through various means you can develop, add, or play more games. You mentioned Arcade1Up's stuff, but at present, outside of how popular it is to mod their cabinets with Raspberry Pi's and the like, none of their products natively support more games beyond what it comes with. You buy the cabinet and play the games it comes with. Similarly, the upcoming iiRcade is also a platform because you can add more games via its Android-based OS. It's not a "closed system," which is a term I was applying to products like the 3/4 scale home arcades from Arcade1Up and standard plug and play systems without dev kits or a means to otherwise become a developer for or accept more games. It's no knock, just a differentiation of what is and is not possible with the various products and why some are "platforms" and some are not.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I said "AtGames Legends Arcade Family," which includes the Legends Ultimate, Legends Gamer, Legends Gamer Pro, Legends Pinball, and other home arcade series products. Those are all platforms because they allow third party games/apps and can play/add more games than are built-in. The Amico, VCS, Xbox Series X, PC, Switch, etc., work the same way. Through various means you can develop, add, or play more games. You mentioned Arcade1Up's stuff, but at present, outside of how popular it is to mod their cabinets with Raspberry Pi's and the like, none of their products natively support more games beyond what it comes with. You buy the cabinet and play the games it comes with. Similarly, the upcoming iiRcade is also a platform because you can add more games via its Android-based OS. It's not a "closed system," which is a term I was applying to products like the 3/4 scale home arcades from Arcade1Up and standard plug and play systems without dev kits or a means to otherwise become a developer for or accept more games. It's no knock, just a differentiation of what is and is not possible with the various products and why some are "platforms" and some are not.

Ah. Terminology. Yes they are platforms but by industry standards Xbox, PS4, and Amico are called closed systems because the platform is a gatekeeper to content while PC is an open system. 

Sandbox makes VCS an open system in theory, but Amico is a closed system. But yeah they're both platforms and Arcade1Up is not. 

Edited by JeffVav

23 minutes ago, JeffVav said:

Ah. Terminology. Yes they are platforms but by industry standards Xbox, PS4, and Amico are called closed systems because the platform is a gatekeeper to content while PC is an open system. 

Sandbox makes VCS an open system in theory, but Amico is a closed system. But yeah they're both platforms and Arcade1Up is not. 

Sure, but it's not quite that cut and dry, for instance, with ID@Xbox for Xbox One/Windows. The point was still that technically anyone can develop games for any of these platforms (Legends Arcade series, Amico, VCS, PS5, iiRcade, etc.) as long as they meet the qualifications (some have little to no barrier to entry, while some have high barriers to entry). You're not going to develop anything for Arcade1Up except as one-offs like you did with Star Wars because they sell single cabinets, not a common platform that you can add more games to. And the VCS is definitely competing as a platform the same as Amico and all the other examples, although arguably not competing in the same market segments for obvious reasons.

6 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

"I'm excited [only] because it boots into Windows" and "I always wanted an HTPC" and "I'm going to buy this thing and probably use it as an HTPC" is not terribly compelling reasoning, nor is, to paraphrase, "I have a lot of pirated movies I want to watch."

This is why the Ouya was doomed from the start: a large percentage of the people that were excited about a niche console were excited because they really wanted a small HTPC. That, of course, meant only a tiny percentage of an already small group actually buying games.

The difference between Ouya and the new VCS is that there were actually a good number of people excited for the Ouya - at least until that "cheap HTPC" audience was satiated. (And they had marketing, review hardware, a much lower price point, etc., etc...)

• Like 3

Always wanted an HTPC?
Really now. You wanted a PC that can connect to a TV but you HAD to wait until Atari "made" one.
This is laughable beyond belief. first of, HTPC is a dead segment, ANY PC is a HTPC now, and HOW is the Atari VCS a HTPC?
You have a collection of old DVD's BLuRay? HDD with bootleg movies? the Atari VCS is more of a throughput dumb coaster in the grand scheme of things.
I am sure I can look into my local dumpster and pull out a HTPC, by the way speaking of dumpsters...
I actually pulled from the garbage a PC with Blu-Ray, TV tuner and video card with all TV hookups, so the Atari VCS is literally dumpster fodder going by your needs. Man, HTPC, I remember when these things first came out, I actually bought a remote control for a PC, I believe Vista was on it.
I think anything can connect to a smart TV now, I would not be surprised if the next Apple watch can stream video to a TV.

Now, am I saying there is no need for a HTPC? no, there is a need for something if someone NEEDS it. But in this case you should be ashamed of yourself for not building one. Collect the components yourself and build one, better and more custome to your setup.

• Like 3

^ Sounds like a Sports Drink...

As soon as I went to the website, I got a nostalgia feeling circa 2000 when online Flash games were all the rage...
Had to close browser, it was loading a crap load of JavaScript...
Many of these games would be right at home on the Amico.

So I am getting a feeling for the pedigree of games the Atari VCS will be offering, they seem to like to outsource all the game repositories, thus no backend to manage. smart when you have $0 and 0 units in the wild generating $0 of revenue.

So does this mean that I can play Atari VCS exclusive indie games on my PC that cost $0 and I do not need to spend $400?
That is a savings of $400! :D Yay, I can put that towards Tacos ?

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 3

On 7/18/2020 at 7:52 PM, Agillig said:

I think he's shilling hard to get one of those Atari approved review copies. Although admiting that he loves to pirate movies was probably a bad move on his part towards earning his Certified Corporate Shill badge. 

LOL at a couple of lines:

"They haven't done a great job marketing it" - You can say that again...and again...and again. 

"This system is actually shipping" - Unless this guy is from the future, this is false as of when he recorded this video

"Is the Atari VCS shipping with exclusives...no!" 

tenor.gif

"It costs WAY less than the PS5" - That's rather disingenuous of him. He's obfuscating this with the base crap model at $249, but even then, you still need to: 1) Buy controllers (minimum $60, so you're over $300) 2) Buy additional storage space to run that glorious HTPC he's dreaming about (varies, but not going to be $20) 3) Have to buy Windows 10, which is at minimum $109~ (looking at Newegg; although sounds like he'll be pirating this one too). All together, you're not "way less" than anything; he's also ignoring the model that Atari keeps touting out there for $380.  

Whoever this guy is apparently doesn't understand what "value" is. No, PS5 won't let you load Windows on it - big whoop. It will still have 1000x more software that makes it versatile, with every Sony console since the PS2 being used in people's home theaters as a DVD, Blu-Ray or streaming device. I also can't imagine that it would be difficult for him to connect his current PC to his TV...he obviously had something to make that video with that isn't a potato. 

He does show who Atari's target market is - people with a love of "underdog" products, strong nostalgia for the Fuji logo, and lazy PC builders. Outside of the market that they've already captured through pre-orders, I think they've pretty much hit their sales peak already.

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, xesf said:

Is anyone in the community involved in the project?

Are you guys bakers of the crowdfunded or pre-order the system?

A number of us signed up curious about potentially developing for the system. As far as I know, partly due to the fact that there is no genuine attempt to make any games unique to the system and windows environment essentially being the default there is no good reason for anyone to develop specifically for the Ataribox, atari themselves seemed to fizzle out of being that interested in having developers work on it, and couldn't even be bothered to pay their own workers on the project. 

There is no doubt a number of users on this thread / forum who are backers, but I doubt any of them at this point expect to see a device for sure. Every now and again there is some glimmer of hope but it quickly fizzles out. 

Personally, I did not back it. I expect a hardware project that isn't 'homebrew' to be able to ship with initial funds and not rely on pre orders to stumble through development. I've never backed a fundraising project outside of one friends PC game, who had a demo available prior to raising funds and updated as time went on. From what I've researched, that's probably a good thing as most projects appear to be money holes and few reach a finalised product. 

14 minutes ago, TACODON said:

They need to make a VCS portable! 

Ah, imagine a pocket-sized machine you could use to play all those Atari classics from the 70s and 80s, listen to music, watch all the streaming video services, browse the internet and keep up with all your social media apps.

You could even use the thing to make phone calls. ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Matt_B said:

Ah, imagine a pocket-sized machine you could use to play all those Atari classics from the 70s and 80s, listen to music, watch all the streaming video services, browse the internet and keep up with all your social media apps.

You could even use the thing to make phone calls. ?

WITCHCRAFT! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1