IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

16 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

A number of us signed up curious about potentially developing for the system. As far as I know, partly due to the fact that there is no genuine attempt to make any games unique to the system and windows environment essentially being the default there is no good reason for anyone to develop specifically for the Ataribox, atari themselves seemed to fizzle out of being that interested in having developers work on it, and couldn't even be bothered to pay their own workers on the project. 

That's a shame because it does look like it had the potential for the community games.

16 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

There is no doubt a number of users on this thread / forum who are backers, but I doubt any of them at this point expect to see a device for sure. Every now and again there is some glimmer of hope but it quickly fizzles out. 

Personally, I did not back it. I expect a hardware project that isn't 'homebrew' to be able to ship with initial funds and not rely on pre orders to stumble through development. I've never backed a fundraising project outside of one friends PC game, who had a demo available prior to raising funds and updated as time went on. From what I've researched, that's probably a good thing as most projects appear to be money holes and few reach a finalised product. 

I was trying to look at updates but indeed it looks like they don't come very often. Waiting for pre-orders will be bad indeed, as it slows the delivery for who bake it with no visibility when it really will happen.

It's normal that crowdfunded projects have delays and end-up not meeting their targets, but one of the key points of such funding is keep people on the loop of the entire process.

I will wait and see before considering buying the device.

Hope the bakers here could get their hands on their devices soon.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, xesf said:

That's a shame because it does look like it had the potential for the community games.

I was trying to look at updates but indeed it looks like they don't come very often. Waiting for pre-orders will be bad indeed, as it slows the delivery for who bake it with no visibility when it really will happen.

It's normal that crowdfunded projects have delays and end-up not meeting their targets, but one of the key points of such funding is keep people on the loop of the entire process.

I will wait and see before considering buying the device.

Hope the bakers here could get their hands on their devices soon.

xesf:

You appear to be new here, and can't be faulted to not wanting to read the past 1,151 pages of this thread.  Please let me try to condense it down for you, and I apologize in advance for any nuance that will be lost in the process.

Having tracked this project since the day it was announced, this thread has gathered substantial evidence that Atari never actually intended to manufacture the Atari VCS.  Their strategy appeared to be to make themselves appealing for a company buyout, and the company that bought them would have had the ultimate responsibility of delivering the crowdfunded Atari VCS.  When no buyout happened, Atari found themselves in the predicament of being legally obligated to deliver a product while not having the finances, know-how, or (quite honestly) desire to do so.  So when we're noticing delays, lack of communication, questionable messaging, etc., this isn't coming from a place of concern for the project.  This is coming from pattern recognition from several other scam projects that went down this exact same path.

The Atari VCS isn't the first crowdfunded console that was never even close to being delivered.  It's not even the fifth.  It's simply the highest-profile example to people outside the hobby.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Atari really let thier Fans down. What really angers me was the LYING!!!

There are times when you have to lie, like
"No honey I did not see that hot chick in the tight Yago pants and tubetop walk by ?‍♀️ or "Its not my baby!" ?

But to lie about a game console! That is just reprehensible.

Edited by OCAT
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

It's just a box of disappointment for around $400.  We're waiting for the next round of "we had to push back yet another six-to-eight months for (reason we haven't used yet)."

I can't imagine the level of rage that would ensue if there's another delay. 

43 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

You appear to be new here, and can't be faulted to not wanting to read the past 1,151 pages of this thread.  Please let me try to condense it down for you, and I apologize in advance for any nuance that will be lost in the process.

Having tracked this project since the day it was announced, this thread has gathered substantial evidence that Atari never actually intended to manufacture the Atari VCS.  Their strategy appeared to be to make themselves appealing for a company buyout, and the company that bought them would have had the ultimate responsibility of delivering the crowdfunded Atari VCS.  When no buyout happened, Atari found themselves in the predicament of being legally obligated to deliver a product while not having the finances, know-how, or (quite honestly) desire to do so.  So when we're noticing delays, lack of communication, questionable messaging, etc., this isn't coming from a place of concern for the project.  This is coming from pattern recognition from several other scam projects that went down this exact same path.

The Atari VCS isn't the first crowdfunded console that was never even close to being delivered.  It's not even the fifth.  It's simply the highest-profile example to people outside the hobby.

Thanks for taking the time, it does clear things for me.

I am new indeed and browsed a bit until I notice the thousand pages :). Insane the amount of content in a single thread.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TACODON said:

There will be another delay. But tacos will never let you down.

? ?‍?‍?‍??‍?‍??‍?‍??‍?‍?‍??‍?‍??‍?‍?‍??‍?‍?‍?  ?   ?

But what if there was a huge lineup to get the Taco?

4 hours ago, Agillig said:

I can't imagine the level of rage that would ensue if there's another delay. 

It won't be much if any at all. The VCS faithful have shown a cult-like ability to swallow whatever excuses Atari feeds them. They're the people still following a "prophet" on May 7th when he said the world would end on the 6th.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, OCAT said:

? ?‍?‍?‍??‍?‍??‍?‍??‍?‍?‍??‍?‍??‍?‍?‍??‍?‍?‍?  ?   ?

But what if there was a huge lineup to get the Taco?

2 hours ago, frankodragon said:

Then you make a long line of tacos.

Nearly-2-mile-line-of-tacos-assembled-for-world-record.jpg

Now see? If Atari had that kind of clear-headed thinking running the company, they wouldn't be in this mess.

And we'd have tacos.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, OCAT said:

Atari really let thier Fans down. What really angers me was the LYING!!!

There are times when you have to lie, like
"No honey I did not see that hot chick in the tight Yago pants and tubetop walk by ?‍♀️ or "Its not my baby!" ?

But to lie about a game console! That is just reprehensible.

Let's not forget that, at someone other point, a notable figure literally said "Who cares what happened with this botched console?  I mean, what about ISIS?!"

• Confused 1

On 7/6/2020 at 6:44 PM, Shaggy the Atarian said:

That is good news for backers, who will have been strung along for four years on this project by the time this is supposed to ship this time. It's just in time to compete with at least three other brand new gaming platforms, all of which will have much more software support, exclusive games, far superior graphics (ok, maybe not the Amico), established technical support and overall more features, for pretty much the same or lower price. Move over cocaine, here's nostalgia!

The Atari VCS isn't trying to compete head to head with XBOX Series X and the PS5.  It is supposed to be an alternative gaming experience focusing on retro titles and indie games.  If you haven't figured that out yet then you are just being willfully ignorant of the fact that the Atari VCS (and Intellivision Amico) never have been intended to go intohead on head competitors with those other aforementioned consoles from Microsoft and Sony.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tidus79001 said:

The Atari VCS isn't trying to compete head to head with XBOX Series X and the PS5.  It is supposed to be an alternative gaming experience focusing on retro titles and indie games.  If you haven't figured that out yet then you are just being willfully ignorant of the fact that the Atari VCS (and Intellivision Amico) never have been intended to go intohead on head competitors with those other aforementioned consoles from Microsoft and Sony.

Both Amico and VCS are charging current gen prices and both have talked about the major competitor products. Putting all of that aside, while I feel satisfied I know what the game offerings are on the Amico (and what their associated philosophical approach is) and that they're offering games not available elsewhere (whether you like them or not is a different discussion), there is nothing equivalent on the VCS side. Nothing. "Retro titles" and "indie games" are literally available on 100% of all existing computers, consoles, and mobile devices, and even on most streaming boxes. So again, if the VCS is not competing against existing and future products, and not even competitive against the Amico (who again, has shown actual exclusive games targeted to a specific demographic), what exactly is its purpose, especially at its price point? Please explain that to those of us who are "willfully ignorant."

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I thought we've established that the VCS was for the niche market of taco shell warmers? Too bad they couldn't keep the original design as I think that would have been better for warming hard shells.

Niche or not any new console needs to get itself established and dig into that niche/not niche market. I haven't really seen any marketing suggesting who it is for. So when like Bill said it has current gen prices you can't get mad when its compared to that.

Not to mention I think I saw an article somewhere saying there is a new Ryzen chip. Which will once again make the VCS hardware even more less relevant. It is a pretty taco warmer, but I can easily do that with a skillet that is way cheaper.

As of this past week my entire family (family of 6 siblings) all have a Switch in their household. That includes my boomer mother. Why? Because Nintendo is welcoming to all, they have great communication, ignore whoever tries to shout them down, doesn't insult them, continues to do what Nintendo does, and does a great job at it. All of them were like, "We need this for Animal Crossing." I haven't seen all my family jump into a single system like that since the Wii, and not everyone had a Wii either. Maybe if companies like Atari VCS spent less time trying to edit/delete reddit posts/etc and focus on doing, and showing we wouldn't be where we are at. Right now the VCS just seems to be trying to cash in on those who loved the good ole days. It would be an acceptable Steam box for lower end games, but they aren't even really marketing that (ignoring pricing and such).

On a side note, I'm a little embarrassed today because my slowly getting older butt fell asleep while playing Animal Crossing, and my boomer mother was able to stay up later than me (Gaming fail). My redemption thought is I've had tacos for the past two nights and I'm going to try and get some for lunch to make it a Hat Trick.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Both Amico and VCS are charging current gen prices and both have talked about the major competitor products. Putting all of that aside, while I feel satisfied I know what the game offerings are on the Amico (and what their associated philosophical approach is) and that they're offering games not available elsewhere (whether you like them or not is a different discussion), there is nothing equivalent on the VCS side. Nothing. "Retro titles" and "indie games" are literally available on 100% of all existing computers, consoles, and mobile devices, and even on most streaming boxes. So again, if the VCS is not competing against existing and future products, and not even competitive against the Amico (who again, has shown actual exclusive games targeted to a specific demographic), what exactly is its purpose, especially at its price point? Please explain that to those of us who are "willfully ignorant."

There is the Atari store that is to have retro title and original content.  Then there a partner services retro and indie services that include:

Antstream Arcade
AirConsole
Game Jolt

They can charge whatever price they want.  That being said for a device that can sever as a full PC running Windows and be used to run any emulator is HUGE bonus and very attractive to many retro gamers I think it a very reasonable prices.  The design and power in that footprint and the overall aesthetic of the console as well and the controllers (Atari Classic Joystick and Atari Modern Controller)
is big draw vs being the alternative of a clunky setup using a laptop, micro form factor desktop PC or under powered ARM device running a custom Linux OS.  There are many people to just want a device such as the Atari VCS that is already prebuilt as a retro gaming rig as opposed to finding all the parts and putting it all together themselves and the overwhelming surpassing of the target goal during the Indiegogo campaign as well as the the pre-orders proves that.

Whatever your take on it is there is not any other console that is offering what the Atari VCS is in terms of content, services and serving as multi purpose universal retro gaming device.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

^ but the main problem I see with the VCS, is simply, it does not exist. Until now Atari has refused to let anyone touch the thing let alone play it. If it is unfair to compare this to Xbox, Playstation, then it is unfair to compare at all as those are in market, on the shelf, online ready to order, in the hands of millions.

Atari VCS is ALLEGEDLY to have 96 units made that are nowhere to be seen other than in pictures and dubious videos.

Edited by OCAT
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, OCAT said:

^ but the main problem I see with the VCS, is simply, it does not exist. Until now Atari has refused to let anyone touch the thing let alone play it.

I guess those public demos was all fake news as is all the updates and info that they have shared on the development and production process for this console.  It is unprecedented the level of transparency there has been to the development process of this console.  No other company has ever shown you every step of the console from design to production and then internals of their to be released product because it is usually kept under wraps and only limited details revealed until late in the game so as to not give the competition an edge on how to one up their new product.

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Tidus79001 said:

There is the Atari store that is to have retro title and original content.  Then there a partner services retro and indie services that include:

Antstream Arcade
AirConsole
Game Jolt

They can charge whatever price they want.  That being said for a device that can sever as a full PC running Windows and be used to run any emulator is HUGE bonus and very attractive to many retro gamers I think it a very reasonable prices.  The design and power in that footprint and the overall aesthetic of the console as well and the controllers (Atari Classic Joystick and Atari Modern Controller)
is big draw vs being the alternative of a clunky setup using a laptop, micro form factor desktop PC or under powered ARM device running a custom Linux OS.  There are many people to just want a device such as the Atari VCS that is already prebuilt as a retro gaming rig as opposed to finding all the parts and putting it all together themselves and the overwhelming surpassing of the target goal during the Indiegogo campaign as well as the the pre-orders proves that.

Whatever your take on it is there is not any other console that is offering what the Atari VCS is in terms of content, services and serving as multi purpose universal retro gaming device.

What original content? So far, nada. You would think we'd hear about some of this original content since the console was already supposed to have been released long ago. AntStream, AirConsole, and Game Jolt, like everything else for the VCS, are already available on tons of other platforms. No need for a VCS to experience those monthly pay services.

The "Atari Modern Controller" is basically an Xbox controller. The "Atari Classic Joystick" concept has been well-received and will likely be the only enduring legacy of the whole VCS concept, but it remains to be seen what features they'll keep in from the original vision versus what we'll actually get once released.

Also, it's not a "universal retro gaming device." I don't know where you're getting that from, but you seem to be running with that pet idea. That's not what it's being pitched as, and you'll certainly have to go through some hoops to make it anything remotely like that.

It's easy to get excited by big dollar amounts on an Indiegogo campaign and Kickstarter, but roughly 10,000 system backers (being generous, as you need to account for those who just put in for updates or controllers) on Indiegogo is not exactly a big number. Keep in mind that the Ouya had over 60,000 system backers on Kickstarter (a more impressive platform than Indiegogo) and was able to get on physical shelves in places like Target, and still had limited game support and, more critically, few game purchases from owners. So the VCS has far bigger hurdles than Ouya in a market with more options than ever to do everything the VCS does and more (and better).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Tidus79001 said:

I guess those public demos was all fake news as is all the updates and info that they have shared on the development and production process for this console.  It is unprecedented the level of transparency there has been to the development process.  No other company has ever shown you every step of the console from design to production and then internals of their to be released product because it is usually kept under wraps and only limited details revealed until late in the game so as to not give the competition an edge on how to one up their new product.

Now your trolling is just too blatant. You went one or two steps too far. There is no competition and no need to "one up their new product." This is not on any "competitor's" radar.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

Are you being "willfully ignorant" of the fact that the Atari Team themselves said they "didn't know" what the target market was, and only guessed that it was "mom's who can't figure out Netflix"?

• Like 4