IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

4 minutes ago, Tidus79001 said:

I guess those public demos was all fake news as is all the updates and info that they have shared on the development and production process for this console.  It is unprecedented the level of transparency there has been to the development process.  No other company has ever shown you every step of the console from design to production and then internals of their to be released product because it is usually kept under wraps and only limited details revealed until late in the game so as to not give the competition an edge on how to one up their new product.

Are you serious? As a crowfunded product that was the bare minimum and they havent shown any relevant information so far, specially when theres supposed to be 96 units of the finished console and controllers somewhere around. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

What original content? So far, nada. You would think we'd hear about some of this original content since the console was already supposed to have been released long ago. AntStream, AirConsole, and Game Jolt, like everything else for the VCS, are already available on tons of other platforms. No need for a VCS to experience those monthly pay services.

The "Atari Modern Controller" is basically an Xbox controller. The "Atari Classic Joystick" concept has been well-received and will likely be the only enduring legacy of the whole VCS concept, but it remains to be seen what features they'll keep in from the original vision versus what we'll actually get once released.

Also, it's not a "universal retro gaming device." I don't know where you're getting that from, but you seem to be running with that pet idea. That's not what it's being pitched as, and you'll certainly have to go through some hoops to make it anything remotely like that.

It's easy to get excited by big dollar amounts on an Indiegogo campaign and Kickstarter, but roughly 10,000 system backers (being generous, as you need to account for those who just put in for updates or controllers) on Indiegogo is not exactly a big number. Keep in mind that the Ouya had over 60,000 system backers on Kickstarter (a more impressive platform than Indiegogo) and was able to get on physical shelves in places like Target, and still had limited game support and, more critically, few game purchases from owners. So the VCS has far bigger hurdles than Ouya in a market with more options than ever to do everything the VCS does and more (and better).

• It allow those services on your TV without setting up laptop or desktop.  No configuring as it is pre-configured to be a service on the Atari VCS.  Never did I say you can't get those services elsewhere but for an person who might not have a home PC (many as odd it is seems to me just use their phones for everything) or doesn't want the bother of setting it up or doesn't have controller for the PC it makes it accessible.
  • You can play that ignorant card as much as you want but anyone being intellectually honest knows that is why the Atari VCS is being built with these features.  It allows other OS's to run so you can load and ran any PC apps (hmmm, I wonder what PC apps that gamers might want to run.  Oh that's right emulators!). Sure you have a little work to do installing the OS and configuring an emulator but on any other console this option doesn't exist at all.
  • They went well over their goal for how much money they raised vs their minimum target so yes they met and exceeded their goals, not yours or anyone else's,
  • Nuff said.
Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Now your trolling is just too blatant. You went one or two steps too far. There is no competition and no need to "one up their new product." This is not on any "competitor's" radar.

Having a discussion and debate on point is trolling?  Who knew?!  SJW much? I guess it take a toll to know a troll since all I hear in this thread is term tacos when any attempt at real discussion and debate is attempted.

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tidus79001 said:
  • It allow those services on your TV without setting up laptop of or desktop.  No configuring as it is pre-configured to be a service on the Atari VCS.  Never did I say you can't get those services elsewhere but for an person who might not have a home PC (many as odd it is seems to me just user their phones for everything) or doesn't want the bother of setting it up or doesn't have controller for the PC it makes it accessible.
  • You can play that ignorant card as much as you want but anyone being intellectually honest knows that is why the Atari VCS is being built with these features.  It allow other OS's to run so you can load and ran any PC apps (hmmm, I wonder what PC app games might want to run.  Oh that's right emulators!). Sure you have a little work to do installing the OS and configuring an emulator but on any other console this option doesn't exist at all.
  • They went well over their goal for how much money they raised vs their minimum target so yet they met and exceeded their goals, not yours or anyone else's,
  • Nuff said.

So, you're saying it's a PC, for people who don't have PCs, so they can enjoy the benefits of having a PC... by buying a PC?

is that about right?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

45 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

So, you're saying it's a PC, for people who don't have PCs, so they can enjoy the benefits of having a PC... by buying a PC?

is that about right?

That is one thing, but nice try to trying to cherry pick that out of all the points made but for bringing this experience to the living room opens up an whole new audience who might not otherwise experience these services such as retro and indie games.  That is niche thing for people to do on their PCs, so it the Atari VCS expands that audience by bring that to the TV & sofa then it help that community to grow and more homebrew love so.  I think there is potential for this to be a great opportunity for aspiring hombrewers and indie devs.

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tidus79001 said:

That is on thing, but nice try to trying to cherry pick that out of all the points made but for bringing this experience to the living room opens up an whole new audience who might not otherwise experience these services such as retro and indie games.  That is niche thing for people to do on their PCs, so it the Atari VCS expands that audience by bring that to the TV & sofa then it help that community to grow and more homebrew love so.  I think there is potential for this to be a great opportunity for aspiring hombrewers and indie devs.

You didn't make any points.  You suggested that it was for people who didn't have PCs in 2020... implying that the only thing preventing them from buying one was the lack of an Atari logo on it.  

The HTPC aspect is the most bizarre logic pretzel that's come up in this project.

"The Ataribox is good because it'll have a bunch of games."

"All those games are available on other platforms, already, and for the same money or even less."

"Yeah, but it's also a PC, so you can install your own stuff on it."

"I can already do that with any PC."

"Yeah, but some people don't know how to do that.  So it has its own OS."

"You mean the OS that runs nothing new or original?  And quite honestly, barely anything at all?"

"It can run anything you want!  You just install it!  A hobbyists dream!"

"...which is what a PC has been, for almost half a century now."

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Tidus79001 said:

That is on thing, but nice try to trying to cherry pick that out of all the points made but for bringing this experience to the living room opens up an whole new audience who might not otherwise experience these services such as retro and indie games.  That is niche thing for people to do on their PCs, so it the Atari VCS expands that audience by bring that to the TV & sofa then it help that community to grow and more homebrew love so.  I think there is potential for this to be a great opportunity for aspiring hombrewers and indie devs.

So just to be clear, you're saying the VCS is going to be appealing to those who either have thus far not been interested in emulators or emulation or lack the skills to set up emulators or emulation to suddenly set up said emulators and emulation? For the former group, they're still not going to be interested and for the latter group there are plenty of turnkey solutions to do just that already. I haven't taken a survey - and neither have you, of course - but I suspect most people are not targeting this as an emulation box. If that's what you're targeting it as, great, but I think that market is far smaller than you probably care to realize.

There's simply nothing here with the VCS for the average person to give it even a cursory glance. It's DOA if it ever even makes it to wide release unless there's something more to it than they already revealed, which I find unlikely. I suspect this will top out in the 20k sales range at best and have little to no support, either first or third party, again assuming it even sees a wide release. It might just be released to market as-is and the fact that a user can go to the trouble of installing Windows themselves will be their out in terms of delivering on some of the past promises or when the default OS is all but empty after not having the resources to maintain support to such a low population of users who are not making purchases or subscribing to things.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

I guess those public demos was all fake news as is all the updates and info that they have shared on the development and production process for this console.  It is unprecedented the level of transparency there has been to the development process of this console.  No other company has ever shown you every step of the console from design to production and then internals of their to be released product because it is usually kept under wraps and only limited details revealed until late in the game so as to not give the competition an edge on how to one up their new product.

Yes, I do believe all of the updates, pictures of factory workers, public "demos" are all fake. I would not put it past Them to hire Chinese actors and fake an assembly line. If the pay is good why not!?  get some ESD lab coats and get some movie extras ?‍♀️?‍♂️??‍??‍? ? aaaand done!  There are fake Apple stores in China, they can make anything overnight. Until I see an independant review of the VCS or it is available in a store to demo, you cannot compare anything to this. It is not in market. We will have to wait until Atari is not ashamed of the work to let it out of the bag

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OCAT said:

Yes, I do believe all of the updates, pictures of factory workers, public "demos" are all fake. I would not put it past Them to hire Chinese actors and fake an assembly line. If the pay is good why not!?  get some ESD lab coats and get some movie extras ?‍♀️?‍♂️??‍??‍? ? aaaand done!
:D   There are fake Apple stores in China, they can make anything overnight. Until I see n independant review of the VCS or it is available in a store to demo, you cannot compare anything to this. It is not in market. We will have to wait until Atari is not ashamed of the work to let it out of the bag

You aren't suggesting that l'Atari, who literally said they would not provide review units to anyone who had an "agenda" they disliked, would be attempting to hide something?

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

You aren't suggesting that l'Atari, who literally said they would not provide review units to anyone who had an "agenda" they disliked, would be attempting to hide something?

Would you give it a fair shake, or is your mind already made up (as if I didn't already know the answer)?  It seems there are an awful lot of opinions of this thing without even having one to review.  I wouldn't give one to someone with an agenda either.  I don't care for how Infogrames is handling the whole process, but nowhere is this a charade except in the minds of conspiracy theorists.  I'll reserve my opinions for when I get the one I backed.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tidus79001 said:

That is one thing, but nice try to trying to cherry pick that out of all the points made but for bringing this experience to the living room opens up an whole new audience who might not otherwise experience these services such as retro and indie games.  That is niche thing for people to do on their PCs, so it the Atari VCS expands that audience by bring that to the TV & sofa then it help that community to grow and more homebrew love so.  I think there is potential for this to be a great opportunity for aspiring hombrewers and indie devs.

I'm not going to pile on.  I admire watching one person take on the mob, but you're really reaching with this.  The "new audience"  already found indie games on the Xbox 360 and PS3.  With stuff like FNAF and Hello Neighbor, kids are already knee deep in indie games.  I'm not sure what untapped market is out there.

• Like 1

Just now, joeatari1 said:

Would you give it a fair shake, or is your mind already made up (as if I didn't already know the answer)?  It seems there are an awful lot of opinions of this thing without even having one to review.  I wouldn't give one to someone with an agenda either.  I don't care for how Infogrames is handling the whole process, but nowhere is this a charade except in the minds of conspiracy theorists.  I'll reserve my opinions for when I get the one I backed.

I would absolutely give it a "fair shake".  The problem is, unless Atari has some amazing unadvertised feature that I'd discover while on video, a review is unnecessary because the device is unremarkable.  I know what a cheap PC is like.  I know what a linux distro with mostly cosmetic tweaks is like.  What else is there?

It's weird to me that Atari would make reviews a sticking point when their own messaging indicates exactly what the machine is, and what it is, is a cheap board in a novelty shell.

• Like 3

Just now, TACODON said:

I will give Atari this, that novelty shell is cool looking. 

And sadly that is about the only nice thing I can say about this paperweight. 

See... I'm on the other side of the fence.  I don't think it looks that cool, but I also don't CARE what it looks like, because if I had one, I'd be concerned with what it did.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

The Atari VCS isn't trying to compete head to head with XBOX Series X and the PS5.  It is supposed to be an alternative gaming experience focusing on retro titles and indie games.  If you haven't figured that out yet then you are just being willfully ignorant of the fact that the Atari VCS (and Intellivision Amico) never have been intended to go intohead on head competitors with those other aforementioned consoles from Microsoft and Sony.

LOL, what a weak argument in the defense of an incompetent company. If they weren't "intending" to compete with the XSX/PS5/Switch, then why didn't they just make yet another Flashback?

It doesn't matter what you assume Atari is "trying" to do. You have to look at what they are doing. You can pretend all day long that it's not "intending" to compete with Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo, but it is regardless. Of course it stands no chance against them in terms of hardware, software, & marketing, so you have to spin reality like a politician getting caught texting underage girls. "I was hacked!!"  

Like it or not, they have made a gaming device that connects to your TV - a product that the rest of the world calls a "console."

-It is shaped like one of the most iconic consoles in game history

-The word "Atari" specifically evokes the idea of playing video games on it before anything else.

-It has controllers for it like a console, offering an equally iconic joystick style that has been used to represent consoles for decades.

-Unlike most All-In-One "retro consoles" like the Flashback, it does allow you to purchase or load games onto it to play.

-It is priced in a similar range of other game consoles, especially when you have to throw in all of the extra hardware needed for a "complete" experience (controllers, additional storage space, an OS).

-It has a digital storefront of some kind, like all modern consoles do. I haven't seen such a thing come with the NES Classic, the Flashbacks or AtGames' Sega remakes

-It was initially pitched as a console, until Atari figured out that the power of their name alone wasn't enough to gain sales needed, then they've waffled back and forth on the "unconsole" moniker since. This is because they have no idea what their market is, so they don't know how to grow sales beyond the 11k pre-orders of people who will buy anything with a Fuji logo on it.

-The primary function of the VCS is to play games, not function as a web server, a video editing device or to calculate spreadsheets. Rob Wyatt added the "open system" concept to it as a clever workaround for a complete lack of interest from developers. That's why it was an afterthought instead of a feature announced from the get-go. Atari announced the VCS, found tepid support on pre-orders and little interest from developers. So the solution was to cheat by letting people install Steam or GOG on it, then they could claim that it does in fact have thousands, if not millions of games.  

-They are trying to sell it through companies like GameStop & Wal-Mart gaming, not Wayfair, JCPenny or Verizon stores

-You say that it's an "alternative gaming experience." So you are saying that the Switch doesn't offer an alternative to the PS4/PS5, or that phones don't offer an alternative to playing games on your PC? That's what every console is - an alternative to other gaming products out there. The only reason it's focused on retro/indie games is because Atari can't convince any studio worth their salt to develop something just for it, and they don't have a game development department. A company like EA or ActiVision or anyone else doesn't want to flush money down the toilet on an obvious flop.

It's basic economics 101. Because the VCS is a console, it is competing with every other concurrent console on the market. Same goes for the Amico. Atari is asking people to spend a few/several hundred dollars on it, and the money that most people have is going to be limited to one or two gaming devices per generation (aka, they're competing for consumer dollars that would be set aside for such entertainment use). 

1 hour ago, Tidus79001 said:

It is unprecedented the level of transparency there has been to the development process of this console. 

Lol GIF - ZachGalifianakis FunnyLaugh Laughing GIFs

No other company has ever shown you every step of the console from design to production and then internals of their to be released product because it is usually kept under wraps

Guess you never heard of the Ouya, who did provide updates throughout the Kickstarter process...but at least the Ouya company didn't lie about the process and string people along for four years.

and only limited details revealed until late in the game so as to not give the competition an edge on how to one up their new product.

Wait, I thought that the VCS didn't have competition because it's some sort of unique alternative gaming experience?? The Amico hadn't been announced prior to the VCS announcement, so in a universe with zero competitors, what would they need to be worried about?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

There is the Atari store that is to have retro title and original content.  Then there a partner services retro and indie services that include:

Antstream Arcade
AirConsole
Game Jolt

They can charge whatever price they want.  That being said for a device that can sever as a full PC running Windows and be used to run any emulator is HUGE bonus and very attractive to many retro gamers I think it a very reasonable prices.  The design and power in that footprint and the overall aesthetic of the console as well and the controllers (Atari Classic Joystick and Atari Modern Controller)
is big draw vs being the alternative of a clunky setup using a laptop, micro form factor desktop PC or under powered ARM device running a custom Linux OS.  There are many people to just want a device such as the Atari VCS that is already prebuilt as a retro gaming rig as opposed to finding all the parts and putting it all together themselves and the overwhelming surpassing of the target goal during the Indiegogo campaign as well as the the pre-orders proves that.

Whatever your take on it is there is not any other console that is offering what the Atari VCS is in terms of content, services and serving as multi purpose universal retro gaming device.

The problem I think is whatever you want of the Atari Box, you can find something already offering it; and usually better and/or cheaper.

You want a retro emulator? Pi can do it all and for a lot cheaper then 400$. You want a Steam box? You can build one for a lot cheaper then the Atari Box (remember a SDD drive and Win 10 licence is extra on top of the units price); and you can likely then also upgrade components to it to extend the systems life. With the Atari Box, other then adding memory nothing is upgradable. A problem when as others have said the Ryzen CPU is already becoming outdated and the unit is not even in production yet.

Games are not exclusive. You can play everything demoed so far on the Atari Box on another existing system. So again, why drop 400$ on a new system to replicate the ability of an existing system(s) you most likely already own?

At least with the Amico, they know what customers they are going for and carving out a market niche for themselves. Atari seems to be trying to do a little bit of everything, and the problem is it is now doing nothing well enough to justify buying the Atari Box.

In my opinion the iconic name brand is pretty much the only thing carrying Atari Box sales, and that won't last long once reviews start coming in I expect.

• Like 3

They put out another update. Basically part 2 of the Game Jolt announcement. I didn't read it but I like how if you split an update in 2 you now have more updates to share! So clever!

While skimming the IGG coments I saw one of the ol Werner Bros show up. Which reminds me. Is that Facebook group still going? I never hear of it anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, joeatari1 said:

The way you word this though makes it sound like we're supposed to blindly spend hundreds of dollars on a product without researching it. If that floats your boat, then ok, but not for me. I have been following this since the get-go, and it offers zero reason for me to spend money on it. I would play one if I came across it out of sheer curiosity, although my interest is more in the CX-40 remake. I have access to three PCs between work and home, if I want to emulate stuff there, it's no problem; If I want one of the VCS games, I can buy them on Steam; If I was remotely interested in the streaming services that they've announced for it, I'd just use one right now. I have a Raspberry Pi too connected to a TV that I could adjust for gaming if I wanted to do so. 

I'd missed this when writing my first response to you, so sorry about the 2nd post, but it bears mentioning.

It is easier than ever to connect a PC, Laptop or a phone to a TV. This isn't 1997. Plenty of devices out there (Amazon FireTV, Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, Raspberry Pi, etc., etc.) feature retro and indie games that you've got a hard-on for, and it's easy to run emulators on these if you know how to look up and follow instructions. Setting up emulators is a niche thing no matter how you slice it, and the VCS isn't going to come with MAME, MESS or Stella pre-installed and configured like you are alluding to. If you find it difficult to play games in the living room these days, then maybe you should find a different hobby.

There may have been potential for the VCS to be a great device for indies or homebrewers, but that evaporated after Atari setup an email for gathering developers, then didn't respond to any of them. That's because they don't give a crap about the indie developer. They want AAA studios to support it, but they had no clue how you're supposed to get that support (doesn't help that Atari has a huge reputation in the game development community for skirting their financial obligations and not paying up what they promised).

Again, getting back to economics 101, game developers cannot make a game for free. It takes a lot of money to do so, and it's a big risk. To diminish that risk, you make games for a target platform with the largest user base possible. This is why most games go to PC first, then consoles later. Big install base = bigger chance for success. If there is one thing that the VCS will not have, it's users to sell to. 11,000 (less than that, since not all pre-orders are for the console but just the joystick) units is nothing. Chances are that any game worth playing is going to take a few hundred thousand dollars to develop. Even if we were generous and said that there are going to be 11,000 VCS units out there this Winter, then posit an impossible 100% attach rate for a non-pack-in game scenario, a developer wouldn't make their money back. 

If an indie developer wants to get noticed, then they should contact Nintendo and get in on the Nindies program. This might shock you, but the Nintendo Switch already offers hundreds of retro and indie games on it through the Nintendo eShop. Many indies have praised the Switch, as they've found that their game sells more on that platform in some cases than on Steam. 

Guaranteed that no one will be saying the same thing about the VCS, in fact it would be a miracle if an indie game even shows up as a blip on the general multi-plat sales charts, because the installed user base of the system will be so minuscule that it will manage to be a footnote in game history, at best. When all is said and done, I'd bet the cost of a top-o-the-line VCS that it will fail to sell more units than the Atari Jaguar did.

You really should study what happened to the Ouya, a console with a much lower price tag than the VCS and initially shipped 5-6 times the numbers the VCS did. It had a huge amount of non-exclusive games and emulators available for it. It was still a massive failure. Just because the VCS has the Atari logo on it and it allows you to load up your own OS (which very, very few VCS users are going to do; zero "Netflix moms" or their kids will bother to do so) doesn't mean it will magically become the hottest selling console this Winter or any Winter. 

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
fixed a typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

As a indie game developer I can tell you now there wouldn't be any point me specifically tailoring games for the ataribox. I don't hate the concept of it, but put it this way, the Amstrad Gx4000 sold more consoles in 1990 and it was redundant at launch where people could buy a sega mega drive, and it equally shared the features that it's cartridges could be used on Amstrads computer line of 6128+s, there's ironically a lot of similarities between the two once you cut out the difference of technology from the two ages, the ps5 and xbox4 might not be direct competition for ataribox in terms of functionality but consumers will decide which of the two to buy because they aren't going to buy both. 

Even with 10,000 units, any indie developer would struggle to secure a decent % of that market. They might hope to shift 200-500 games, where they might sell 50 to ataribox owners even without advertising it as such. 

Its really sad to say because I don't want to keep mentioning it but the amico project is really everything atari 2014 is getting wrong done right. Amico isn't kidding themselves, they know what market they are aiming for, they are having tailor made Multiplayer games developed for their system, and quite frankly their only real advertisement is about them having fun making it - and it works! Atari could have had this but they flopped hard. 

On a personal note, I literally have to put my laptop next to the TV and there is a spare hdmi cable I can plug in straight away, it's really no trouble at all. I don't even need to put the charger in to watch a film or play a game. 

I appreciate you are playing the atari party line really hard, and might even be involved with the project, and that's fine, in fact it would be really cool if you were involved in the project because right now any kind of reasonable contact with someone involved in it would give it some degree of credibility. This forum and this website is dedicated completely to the legacy of atari as a brand, culture and machines. This is the one community that SHOULD be behind the Ataribox 100%, but they've seen the failed and cancelled products of atari 2014 and will need to see a viable product on the shelves before they take any real notice of it. 

This thread is venomous against ataribox, because Atari has ensured every action they do is counterproductive to the name Atari. Tacos is merely their release. 

• Like 5

For those who are new to this little Taco World we live in.

I am a day one backer of this paperweight. I was easily sold on fancy renders and gimmicky videos. I am not a gamer at all. I just thought it was an interesting idea. 

So I have been with this mess since the beginning. Atari lies, cheats and deletes. That simple. I don't think Atari ever intended to make this thing. It was a quick cash grab to get a corporate buyout because here is an upcoming underdog effort with a big following. Classic story with a happy ending! Right? Wrong.

I don't trust anything they do. They would go months with no updates. They would make excuse after excuse. They sue or slander anyone or anything they don't like.

This is not a reputable company. Do not give them your money or you will regret it.

I count giving them money as a top mistake in my life. It rates up with this time I dated a girl twice. Sometimes you learn the hard way. I did. 

Now back to tacos.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

5 minutes ago, TACODON said:

I don't trust anything they do. They would go months with no updates. They would make excuse after excuse. They sue or slander anyone or anything they don't like.

This is not a reputable company. Do not give them your money or you will regret it.

12 minutes ago, Mikebloke said:

As a indie game developer I can tell you now there wouldn't be any point me specifically tailoring games for the ataribox.

In reading the last few posts, I realized (suddenly) that I'm in much the same boat.  I'm a developer (of sorts) in that I'm a podcaster and I like to think my content would be of moderate value to the 11,000 people buying a FujiSphere.  In theory, I should want to contact Atari and ask if they could provide some sort of access to my show from their box.  It has an internet connection, right?  So there should be a way to do it, with minimal assistance from me personally.  And I doubt I'd have to offer much in the way of incentives for such a low-budget project.  On paper, a few e-mails could put me in touch with 11,000 new listeners.

But I won't do that.  I won't even bother to draft an e-mail.  Why?  Because I have no confidence that Atari will deliver this box, and if they do, I actually think it would be a negative to have my name associated with it.  The best case scenario (if this ever ships) is that there are thousands of disappointed backers.  More likely, this project will be buried under class action lawsuits and calls from developers who went unpaid.  

I'm a guy who runs a podcast out of his guest room, and could "develop" something for this console for nothing, and it's actually not worth it to me to do so.  It's too toxic for ME, and I'm a NOBODY.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

I guess those public demos was all fake news as is all the updates and info that they have shared on the development and production process for this console.  It is unprecedented the level of transparency there has been to the development process of this console.  No other company has ever shown you every step of the console from design to production and then internals of their to be released product because it is usually kept under wraps and only limited details revealed until late in the game so as to not give the competition an edge on how to one up their new product.

Oh Karen, you are so cute when you're mad. 

• Haha 6

18 minutes ago, Mikebloke said:

As a indie game developer I can tell you now there wouldn't be any point me specifically tailoring games for the ataribox. I don't hate the concept of it, but put it this way, the Amstrad Gx4000 sold more consoles in 1990 and it was redundant at launch where people could buy a sega mega drive, and it equally shared the features that it's cartridges could be used on Amstrads computer line of 6128+s, there's ironically a lot of similarities between the two once you cut out the difference of technology from the two ages, the ps5 and xbox4 might not be direct competition for ataribox in terms of functionality but consumers will decide which of the two to buy because they aren't going to buy both. 

Even with 10,000 units, any indie developer would struggle to secure a decent % of that market. They might hope to shift 200-500 games, where they might sell 50 to ataribox owners even without advertising it as such. 

Its really sad to say because I don't want to keep mentioning it but the amico project is really everything atari 2014 is getting wrong done right. Amico isn't kidding themselves, they know what market they are aiming for, they are having tailor made Multiplayer games developed for their system, and quite frankly their only real advertisement is about them having fun making it - and it works! Atari could have had this but they flopped hard. 

On a personal note, I literally have to put my laptop next to the TV and there is a spare hdmi cable I can plug in straight away, it's really no trouble at all. I don't even need to put the charger in to watch a film or play a game. 

I appreciate you are playing the atari party line really hard, and might even be involved with the project, and that's fine, in fact it would be really cool if you were involved in the project because right now any kind of reasonable contact with someone involved in it would give it some degree of credibility. This forum and this website is dedicated completely to the legacy of atari as a brand, culture and machines. This is the one community that SHOULD be behind the Ataribox 100%, but they've seen the failed and cancelled products of atari 2014 and will need to see a viable product on the shelves before they take any real notice of it. 

This thread is venomous against ataribox, because Atari has ensured every action they do is counterproductive to the name Atari. Tacos is merely their release. 

I am not involved with Atari.  I am just a lifelong gamer who enjoys retro games and have been playing video games since the Atari 2600 first launched..  I was an backer in the Indigogo campaign, so that makes me a customer.

3 minutes ago, Tidus79001 said:

I am not involved with Atari.  I am just a lifelong gamer who enjoys retro games and have been playing video games since the Atari 2600 first launched..  I was an backer in the Indigogo campaign, so that makes me a customer.

download.jpg

• Like 2