IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I agree that we are open to opinions, but when I think of trolling, it's someone with their point of view but also insult others by telling them they're "ignorant" or inserting many other insulting words when he/she doesn't agree.  And yes, it has happened before when we were called "idiots", "stupid", "poopy-heads", etc.

Secret Message: Kudos to those who remember the thread where "poopy-heads" came from.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, joeatari1 said:

I would love to discuss Atari without it being called L'Atari or the (new) VCS without it being called Ataco Box.  So, no negative minds may be changed here but maybe being more hospitable is in order.

I also would love to discuss the Ataribox and its merits, but the thing is just a embedded computer in a special box that doesn't exist, and that has not changed since they announced the damn thing in 2017. But I guess that's our fault.

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 7

54 minutes ago, Osgeld said:

I also would love to discuss the Ataribox and its merits, but the thing is just a embedded computer in a special box that doesn't exist, and that has not changed since they announced the damn thing in 2017. But I guess that's our fault.

This is the problem. That's why it turned into a taco thread. Heck I was close to being a backer myself, but that's why I never jumped in was how they handled things. There was nothing and really still isn't anything to talk about. 

Game announcements? Nope, just a partnership with something you can use already.

Hands on footage from backers? Nope, still not shipped.

Sandbox mode? Nope, might as well just talk about generic PCs and what they can do at that point. 

Their OS/store. We've seen a little footage but there were errors on that with game titles. As far as their store goes we can speculate what they will include. It comes with Vault so that is a lot of their games. That leaves RCT, Pong Quest, Missile Command Recharge, and???? (Also see games announcements above)

Controllers. Xbox version, Nope we've seen it and know what it is.

Classic joystick, is just speculation as we haven't seen anyone actually play with it have we? Does the paddle feature work? Is it as fragile as it has looked in some of its mockups?

So, from what I can think of (now my coffee hasn't kicked in so I might be missing something). We we could speculate on what games they might have, or what people plan do do with installing their own OS for sandbox mode.

I would use it as a simple Steam machine, but that isn't putting any money into Atari, so my next concern would be how long are they going to support their OS?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AtariLeaf said:

Have any of those 96 units been confirmed to have reached anyone aside from the 1 or 2 people in their own marketing department? It's been what, a month now since they were supposedly shipped?

I think TXEntertainment, the Payback guys, said they got one.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TACODON said:

I am a backer and no one has ever said anything mean towards me in the forum. Calling what I did stupid is not mean. Just the truth.

I do not call backing a project "STUPID", if you believe in something and are resolute, then it is a just decision. Now having seen the pattern of scammers, The Coleco Chameleon, I would say backers of this are irresponsible. If this was any other company I would say you are taking a chance, but this is Infogrames, They are very sleezy people and this is buying a lottery ticket.

I do not like to see people give up power (disposable income) to scammers, you just foster an environment where more scammers will take notice and pop up. I just saw a news article that a party hall that rents out space for partys, weddings etc. has closed down and is not refunding money.

I expect this because gatherings are outlawed,  but what really angered me was that the customers payed FULL UP FRONT!! we are taking over $4,000! each party, You should NEVER pay full always a deposit. If you pay full, there is no incentive for the contract to be fullfilled. Same thing here, hand over the money, you have no power.

If someone wants to start a business and wants you to loan them money, do not do it. You put your name on the business as partner!, they can buy you out later if they are so confident it will be the 1 out of 10 that works out.

What I would like to have seen was this.

Indiegogo -> Does not get backed -> Atari drops the idea -> conclusions Atari is not serious.

Indiegogo -> Does not get backed -> Atari tries to find private investors in the idea -> Atari is a little serious.

Indiegogo -> Does not get backed -> Atari dumps own money in the idea -> Atari is serious.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, OCAT said:

What I would like to have seen was this.

Indiegogo -> Does not get backed -> Atari drops the idea -> conclusions Atari is not serious.

Indiegogo -> Does not get backed -> Atari tries to find private investors in the idea -> Atari is a little serious.

Indiegogo -> Does not get backed -> Atari dumps own money in the idea -> Atari is serious.

They set such a low goal (wasn't it something like 10,000 or 100,000 USD) that there is no way it wasn't getting backed.

But you're right, provided they set a more realistic minimum goal (even something like 10 Million, though that's probably still too low) and failed to reach it, it would be interesting to see if they would have continued.

I think this lends support to the "We want to sell the company" theory.  If they are trying to drum up interest in a buyout, there is no way they were going to let the campaign fail, thus the ridiculous low goal.  It kind of backfired though, as it went well over the minimum goal, but nowhere near high enough to attract any real attention.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, joeatari1 said:

Well I don't expect anyone to just blindly spend money they don't have or that they feel is better used elsewhere.  I backed it because I wanted something different than the big three options out there.  I wanted an all in one box that I can just plug in and play without setting up an emulator or Pi or whatever else.  Classic games, re-imagined classics, indie games, possible exclusives.  If there happens to be new exclusives for it, that would be great.  As it looks now, it will do exactly what I want it to do and more.  No Sandbox needed for me, although it is a nice bonus.  Reliable (remains to be seen) wireless joysticks have been a dream of mine for a long time, but now looks like reality!  Eye of the beholder I guess, but still no reason to hate on something without ever trying it first.  Kind of like Chevy guys saying they will never buy a Ford and vice-versa.

I think a lot of backers were in the same boat; I was tempted to back it early on when little more than our dreams and assumptions made up what it was going to be. The point that has been made over and over in this thread though is that very little of what Atari promised is coming to pass with the VCS. I have some issues with the Amico, but it's certainly much closer to the idea of offering "Classic games, re-imagined classics, indie games, possible exclusives" - as far as I can tell Amico has all of that, VCS only has the classic games kind of covered there. 

Back in the days of the Jaguar, I would have gladly jumped on to a new Atari console. Heck, I remember drawing up logos for a Jaguar successor in my art class back in HS. :P  That's why I backed the NUON, since it was a spiritual successor (but ultimately a giant flop).

For me, when I buy a game console, I do so because it's going to offer years of entertainment value that I can't get with some other device. Exclusives are a big deal for me; since I have the means for PC gaming at home, both the PS4 and XB1 haven't been very attractive (XB1 not at all since they've decided to make nothing exclusive for it; PS4 took some time to get there). The Switch had enough exclusives headed to it off the bat that it was an easy buy, and it has a ton of classics from arcades, NES, SNES (I wish they'd bring more consoles to the mix like they did on the Wii).  I get that everyone will have slightly different reasons for getting a console, but I think at the core, value is what drives a purchase. Nostalgia might be for some, but I think it's unwise to let that be a primary driver for spending money.

On the VCS, since I decided to wait it out, it became apparent to me that it was not going to be offering value that I would want out of a device at that price. It could have been different - had they announced early on that they would have all of their IP available on it in some form and some new takes on classics like Asteroids, Adventure, Yars Revenge, Star Raiders, etc., then I might have been on board. But none of that came...just delays, lies, & excuses. No one at Atari has a vision for what to do with their IP - there isn't anyone who truly understands these games and what made them fun in the first place. There's no creative or innovative thinking over there to reinvent these games in a way that maintains their core while pushing the IP forward (like Nintendo has done with their IP through the years). They just see a potential can of magic beans that can make their bank account grow. Isn't it odd that four-ish years after announcing a flagship console that they have not announced any RollerCoaster Tycoon game for it? That is their #1 IP, and yet it's nowhere to be found for the VCS.

As I looked into Atari more, I found one red flag after another. I had already known some people who were professionally burned by Atari SA; I also noticed a penchant for them using crowdfunding to do something that they never fulfilled, or they handled in a very unprofessional manner. They doubled down on that when El Reg asked them basic questions and they had no idea how to answer them, since they hadn't thought it through. There were some posts several pages back where we laid out the various unsavory and unethical practices by Atari over the past several years. Where there's smoke, there's fire; just because a company has a beloved name to them doesn't mean that I have to give them money, even if they make a product I might be interested in. 

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

No one at Atari has a vision for what to do with their IP - there isn't anyone who truly understands these games and what made them fun in the first place. There's no creative or innovative thinking over there to reinvent these games in a way that maintains their core while pushing the IP forward

Because there's no software people at Atari. Of course, there's no hardware people either.

Someone else makes a game that vaguely resembles one of Atari's 40-year-old titles, pays the licensing fee, and out it craps. This is how we get drek like Asteroids: Outpost, Haunted House: Cryptic Graves, or Night Driver. "Atari" doesn't have any creatives in place at all...they only care about collecting those sweet, sweet licensing fees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

Serious question here, is there any form of Succession planning at Atari, I mean if something unfortunate was to happen, like Mr. CheeseRat chokes on a burrito ? and is unable to perform his ? "tasks" required of his "position", is there anybody that will take over the company or is it just a one "man" show going on there. I assume since there is stock involved there must be a 2nd waiting in command. 

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, OCAT said:

Serious question here, is there any form of Succession planning at Atari, 

Since it is a public company, there would necessarily be a formal Board of Directors. This would include both internal senior management as well as external members. There would be a designated second-in-command. 

The list of Board members will be included in the Annual Report and (presumably) also in the various securities filings. 

(I am generalizing based upon my knowledge of North American law -- the rules in France may be wildly different.)   

Edited by jhd
Fixed a typo
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, OCAT said:

Serious question here, is there any form of Succession planning at Atari, I mean if something unfortunate was to happen, like Mr. CheeseRat chokes on a burrito ? and is unable to perform his ? "tasks" required of his "position", is there anybody that will take over the company or is it just a one "man" show going on there. I assume since there is stock involved there must be a 2nd waiting in command. 

Based on this:

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2020/03/24/2005235/0/en/Atari-Addition-of-New-Major-Shareholder.html

Looks like it would be Wade J. Rosen.

Unless something has changed since March  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

21 hours ago, joeatari1 said:

Agreed.  100%.  I resent that some on here imply or call backers shills.  I am a backer, plain and simple.  There are 11000 of us in some form or another and not all of us are shills.  I would never call someone with a different opinion a troll and I don't expect to be called names in a forum that is meant for discussion of the merits and demerits of a video game system.  I saw value in the proposed idea and decided to help it see the light of day.  If it happen then it happens.

I agree with you and want to see what happens with this first new ATARI system in 25 years. I never thought this would occur...thought just t-shirts & flashback systems would be ATARI’s business basically forever. Glad they are doing something with ATARI’s IP & trademarks to try and bring it out of just being a purveyor of licensing. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Iron-Marine Soldier said:

I agree with you and want to see what happens with this first new ATARI system in 25 years. I never thought this would occur...thought just t-shirts & flashback systems would be ATARI’s business basically forever. Glad they are doing something with ATARI’s IP & trademarks to try and bring it out of just being a purveyor of licensing. 

I would like to ask: given L'Atari's current situation, what is a "Best Case Scenario" for this project?  If absolutely everything falls their way, what's the best that could be hoped for?

On 7/22/2020 at 11:46 AM, Tidus79001 said:
  • It allow those services on your TV without setting up laptop or desktop.  No configuring as it is pre-configured to be a service on the Atari VCS.  Never did I say you can't get those services elsewhere but for an person who might not have a home PC (many as odd it is seems to me just use their phones for everything) or doesn't want the bother of setting it up or doesn't have controller for the PC it makes it accessible.
  • You can play that ignorant card as much as you want but anyone being intellectually honest knows that is why the Atari VCS is being built with these features.  It allows other OS's to run so you can load and ran any PC apps (hmmm, I wonder what PC apps that gamers might want to run.  Oh that's right emulators!). Sure you have a little work to do installing the OS and configuring an emulator but on any other console this option doesn't exist at all.
  • They went well over their goal for how much money they raised vs their minimum target so yes they met and exceeded their goals, not yours or anyone else's,
  • Nuff 
    On 7/22/2020 at 11:46 AM, Tidus79001 said:
    • It allow those services on your TV without setting up laptop or desktop.  No configuring as it is pre-configured to be a service on the Atari VCS.  Never did I say you can't get those services elsewhere but for an person who might not have a home PC (many as odd it is seems to me just use their phones for everything) or doesn't want the bother of setting it up or doesn't have controller for the PC it makes it accessible.
    • You can play that ignorant card as much as you want but anyone being intellectually honest knows that is why the Atari VCS is being built with these features.  It allows other OS's to run so you can load and ran any PC apps (hmmm, I wonder what PC apps that gamers might want to run.  Oh that's right emulators!). Sure you have a little work to do installing the OS and configuring an emulator but on any other console this option doesn't exist at all.
    • They went well over their goal for how much money they raised vs their minimum target so yes they met and exceeded their goals, not yours or anyone else's,
    • Nuff said.

Glad there are some ATARI fans in this thread about ATARI’s new system...your points for it are all valid and are reasons why I am interested in it. I’m an ATARI lifer...arcade...console...computer...handheld and looking forward to ATARI’s VCS-400/800. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RedWolfJC said:

Based on this:

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2020/03/24/2005235/0/en/Atari-Addition-of-New-Major-Shareholder.html

Looks like it would be Wade J. Rosen.

Unless something has changed since March  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rosen is also doing double duty as a member of the compensation committee. So is Walles on the board of directors as Chairman of the remuneration committee.

image.thumb.png.b2c2949bc5bfef110ecb68b65251d704.png

12 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

I would like to ask: given L'Atari's current situation, what is a "Best Case Scenario" for this project?  If absolutely everything falls their way, what's the best that could be hoped for?

Ummmm...a boatload of Gen-Xers getting the nostalgia bug for an ATARI system to play ATARI video games...past/present/future...in their living rooms with new modern ATARI controllers. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Iron-Marine Soldier said:

Ummmm...a boatload of Gen-Xers getting the nostalgia bug for an ATARI system to play ATARI video games...past/present/future...in their living rooms with new modern ATARI controllers. 

Define "boatload." 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Define "boatload." 

Thousands & thousands...more than whatever that Mattel system sells...for sure. Very few people had that system relative to all the ATARI systems that people owned or played in the arcade. Side by side...the one with the new modern ATARI joystick is going to sell...sorry...TT. 

Edited by Iron-Marine Soldier
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Iron-Marine Soldier said:

So let's then ask the next logical question:  is there anything l'Atari can do to make that happen, or is it entirely up to the aforementioned Gen-Xers?

• Like 2