IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

3 hours ago, Phantom_of_Krankor said:

I really like the superiority complex some gamers have with the whole “You aren’t a real gamer!” shtick.

Get bent, dude.

??

Yeah, he was a bit high strung.  Not sure if it was ban hammer worthy, especially since he provided some discussion as opposed to taco talk.   But, I respect the house rules.

His problem is that he seems to have the same mentality as a lot of the more toxic supporters.  Regardless of whether someone enjoys the final product or not, there are two things that are undeniable:

1.  Atari's behavior has had an aura of impropriety the entire time.  Maybe they aren't actually crooks, but are just really incompetent.   Take your pick, but there's no reason to believe a thing they say.

2.  This system will be deader than a doorknob upon release.   Yeah, you'll get some mainstream press articles talking about "The Return of The King" or other such talk.  Articles by Time or Newsweek that have no research done and will be put out for clicks.  But after that, people will forget about it quicker than Shen Mue 3.

The only thing that looks mildly interesting to me is Antstream.   Most people have other ways to play these games, but if the service was released on Xbox and the price was right, I'd give it a shot.  Everything else looks like shovelware.   If someone buys the system and is happy with it, that's great.  But without a killer app, this won't sell nearly enough to be considered anything more than a continuation of Atari failures.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Agillig said:

The only thing that looks mildly interesting to me is Antstream.   Most people have other ways to play these games, but if the service was released on Xbox and the price was right, I'd give it a shot.

Good news

8 minutes ago, Agillig said:

Atari's behavior has had an aura of impropriety the entire time.  Maybe they aren't actually crooks, but are just really incompetent

Except for their extended history of non-payment to contractors and vendors, as well as abandonware releases.

9 minutes ago, Agillig said:

Yeah, he was a bit high strung.  Not sure if it was ban hammer worthy, especially since he provided some discussion as opposed to taco talk.

Yeah, I'd just as soon keep a few of these types aboard. Nothing highlights the complete disconnect from reality of the truly fanatical backer like the old chestnuts of "You're not a fan! You weren't there! Atari WAS gaming! Atari's back!"

They aren't seeing the pros and cons of a product. They're defending a religion.

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, flickertail said:

What do you expect from a guy who had the words "Marine" and "Soldier" as a mashup in his profile name? WTF? That's like trying to plug an NES cart into a 7800.

:D

Semper Fi

-A

I called Marines "high strung" once, and I got read the riot act by a leatherneck.  Maybe "highly motivated and enthusiastic" would have been a better way to put it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, racerx said:

Good news

Except for their extended history of non-payment to contractors and vendors, as well as abandonware releases.

Yeah, I'd just as soon keep a few of these types aboard. Nothing highlights the complete disconnect from reality of the truly fanatical backer like the old chestnuts of "You're not a fan! You weren't there! Atari WAS gaming! Atari's back!"

They aren't seeing the pros and cons of a product. They're defending a religion.

You might not be far off.  It's similar to what you see with Sega fans every few years when someone trots out a petition for Dreamcast 2.  Look, I love Sega, but they're a shell of what they used to be.  Sega can barely function as a third party, how could they support a new console?  Those days are gone.

Even if this were the same people who released the Jaguar, they'd be in trouble.  At least the Jaguar had some big attractions that were impressive at the time - Doom, AvP, Raiden, NBA Jam,  etc.  Everyone knew what Doom was, and this was a reason to consider getting a Jaguar.   There's nothing like that on the VCS.   Mobile games and a bad GTA clone.

Anyway, nostalgia is a powerful drug.  Maybe certain VCS supporters long for a time the world was simpler, and deep in their subconscious they believe a new Atari system would transport them back to that time.  I've said all along that there's a lot of people on the IGG page and Supporters FB page that have obvious pronounced mental health challenges- just an absolute disconnect from reality.   Maybe we're starting to narrow things down. 

• Like 2

Mental health isn't their problem. I think they are just longing for the way things 'use to be'.

Or they are too scared to try something new. Or too scared to do some basic research. All types of gaming itches can be scratched right now. 

Mental health, no. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Downland1983 said:

My family got a 7800.  I think it was Christmas of 88'.  The only game I remember having for it was Pole Position II.  One of my older brother's friends brought over his NES and "The Legend of Zelda" one day, and my younger brother and I immediately started pining for that system.  We got an NES for Christmas the following year and the 7800 was quickly forgotten.

My guess is Jack's grandkids did the same thing, and so he was like 'meh' at the 7800 :P 

Actually I think by the time the 7800 was actually released, it was just too late for the system that was basically locked up in the closet for 2 years...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Downland1983 said:

My family got a 7800.  I think it was Christmas of 88'.  The only game I remember having for it was Pole Position II.  One of my older brother's friends brought over his NES and "The Legend of Zelda" one day, and my younger brother and I immediately started pining for that system.  We got an NES for Christmas the following year and the 7800 was quickly forgotten.

Yea my older brother was an Atari guy. Had the 2600 and 5200 growing up. Fun to play but since I was younger he used me to play 2 player games and for the typical older brother beat down.

Then in fall of ‘87 my buddy got an NES and we played SMB and Mike Tyson’s Punchout, never looked back. I bet I didn’t even play a game with my brother on his Atari 7800...too busy with Castlevania, Rygar, SMB 2, Tecmo Bowl, Contra and the list goes on and on haha.

Edited by MarioMan88
Added Contra
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Mental health isn't their problem. I think they are just longing for the way things 'use to be'.

Or they are too scared to try something new. Or too scared to do some basic research. All types of gaming itches can be scratched right now. 

Mental health, no. 

This is probably is. But I think everyone here is longing for the way things used to be, and most of us haven't gone completely nuts over the thought of the Atari logo appearing on another gaming product. So it has to be something just a little deeper.

Something that Atari are very guilty of, and have been from day one, is overselling the product. That's caught at least a few people out who seem to think that it's as powerful as an Xbox One, judging by some conversations I've had with people who backed it. There are still people out there who still use Atari products exclusively or have PCs but don't understand a thing about them. Some of the backers are these people.

I have no doubt the product will eventually ship. To do otherwise would land Atari in a whole heap of bother they could probably do without, despite all these weird licensing deals they're churning out. And I'm sure that there will be many people who will be happy with their product. But there will be some who bought into the lie about the machine's capabilities who are going to be mightily pissed off when they can't run the latest Forza Horizons on it.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, thanatos said:

Wow, haven't been in here for a couple weeks, going "Oh crap, I'm like 20 pages behind.  No way I am going to be able to catch up on all that!"  :(

And then my fast forward reveals new poster making drama again.  Cool timing I guess!

I have a couple new Taco pics I have saved over the last couple months - Updates coming soon!   ?

I had some catching up to do as well. The page count tend to expand whenever Atari SA does some thing inane or makes an inane announcement of an announcement, or there is a new poster that has sand in their tacos.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

He got kicked out of the thread, not banned.  If he starts this again in another forum, then he might get banned.

Oh ya? Well have you ever seen Mjolnir crush a 10 digit numeric sequence through a trippletopped roadrunning Keatah? Me either, but I still keep the hope alive cause it makes sense that it's bound to happen sooner or later.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

He got kicked out of the thread, not banned.  If he starts this again in another forum, then he might get banned.

Will he be allowed to come back to this thread, if Atari's new VCS is a great success?

?

Will we all get kicked out then?

?
And what happens to all the Tacos then?

Edited by Al_Nafuur
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Iron-Marine Soldier said:

Ummmm...the people who are paying ATARI to use their name...for their ATARI branded hotels. These hotels are going to have big Game Centers & space for video gaming tournaments...I also think these property developers “think” that families “might” want to stay at a hotel with entertainment included...”maybe” in case of detrimental weather or fun when NOT doing what they are in the area for...BUT...also “maybe” for the “novelty”...as well...”maybe”. 

Sure, come to our Atari themed hotels when its raining so you can play Starcraft or Unreal Tournament 2004 in a LAN party on our new VCSs. You can max out the graphics. Purchase your Atari coins at the counter.

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, racerx said:

Good news

They aren't seeing the pros and cons of a product. They're defending a religion cult.

FIFY ?

12 hours ago, Phantom_of_Krankor said:

I really like the superiority complex some gamers have with the whole “You aren’t a real gamer!” shtick.

Get bent, dude.

??

It has been an amusing spin coming out of ShillVille. They never can debate on the "merits" of the VCS, so they have to pretend like they're real Atari fans because they're supporting the company no matter what, facts and tacos be damned. 

That doesn't win an argument of course, but it is entertaining to see how quickly they fall apart after trying to win an Atarid*ck measuring contest. 

• Like 5

IF the VCS is a big success, we all hang our heads in shame, we ban ourselves to another thread, but we take all the Tacos with us ?
On the way out we also have to do the dance of shame.. Gangnam Style! ♪ ????

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The irony is that if Atari had actually built the machine they said they were going to build three years ago and delivered it on time, it'd probably already be deader than the Ouya by now.

All of us who wanted one would have been able to pick it up for $50 on eBay and customize it into the media/emulation/gaming machine we wanted but knew they'd never be able to put together by themselves.

Either that or there'd be some cheaper and better Chinese clone now like all those knockoffs of the GCW Zero that sprung up in the past couple of years.

But no, their rank incompetence and shady practices keep them continuing to fail to deliver and there's still that set of coat tails for the dreamers to cling to.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2020 at 7:29 PM, Iron-Marine Soldier said:

Nope.

Kind of strange to me...guess Mattel has a lot of blank RFID cards taking up space in some warehouse. Win/Win for everyone...I guess?

For the record (I can't believe I actually need to clarify this), Mattel Hyperscan and Intellivision Amico have absolutely nothing to do with each other.  To infer that the reason Intellivision Amico chose to utilize RFID is because a company that owned and sold the Intellivision property 36 years ago has extra product lying around from a product from 14 years ago is a huge stretch my friend.  Also important to note that RFID technology is massively better and different from 14 years ago when the Hyperscan came out.  The RFID technology we utilize in Amico is leaps and bounds different (and better) from what the Hyperscan used.

Hope that helps to clear things up for you.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

Will he be allowed to come back to this thread, if Atari's new VCS is a great success?

?

Will we all get kicked out then?

?
And what happens to all the Tacos then?

Why should he? It was not about that, it was about him being a condescending asshole. 

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/24/2020 at 5:19 AM, Iron-Marine Soldier said:

Where are your numbers for TT’s system? ATARI has been taking pre-orders at BOTH Walmart & GameStop...I kind of think you are speculating that TT’s system has more pre-orders...you don’t have the exact figures. 

Well, I do have the numbers for both as well as knowing exactly how many VCS's have been pre-ordered from Walmart.com and Gamestop.com over the last year and a half.  I got news for ya... we outsold them in one week on Gamestop.com compared to their 1 year pre-order headstart on both those websites.

Lets just say...

ROUND 1: Pre-Orders - Intellivision Amico

??

:)

p.s.  The VCS is not at retail.  They are currently only going to be sold via those websites NOT at retail.  Amico is.  HUGE difference.

Will be announcing a bunch of retail partners during our August 4th online special event. 

Details here if anyone is interested:  https://www.intellivisionamico.com/august-4th-event

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3