IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

3 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

Will he be allowed to come back to this thread, if Atari's new VCS is a great success?

?

Will we all get kicked out then?

?
And what happens to all the Tacos then?

This is quite simple. If it is a great success I will continue to eat tacos. I assume many here will do the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

It has been an amusing spin coming out of ShillVille. They never can debate on the "merits" of the VCS, so they have to pretend like they're real Atari fans because they're supporting the company no matter what, facts and tacos be damned. 

That doesn't win an argument of course, but it is entertaining to see how quickly they fall apart after trying to win an Atarid*ck measuring contest. 

See that's what I don't get. I would love to see some type of comeback from Atari. I was excited about the original announcement, but I'm not going to just ignore things. I've 'supported' them in other ways be it apparel or try some of their comics out a while back. I find it more frustrating that stuff like how this is gone will most likely make it even less likely there will be a comeback for them.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Agillig said:

1.  Atari's behavior has had an aura of impropriety the entire time.  Maybe they aren't actually crooks, but are just really incompetent.   Take your pick, but there's no reason to believe a thing they say.

As someone old enough to remember the .com crash of 2000, I'm pretty convinced they are crooks.  CEOs and executives taking tons of money from investors, and then exiting without product.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thanatos said:

As someone old enough to remember the .com crash of 2000, I'm pretty convinced they are crooks.  CEOs and executives taking tons of money from investors, and then exiting without product.

I would lean more towards incompetent. Probably good intentions but didn't know what went into making a console. That might be part of the problem with the Wyatt lawsuit and not paying people. Just thought it would cost $XXX before having any type of working board or cost of parts figured out. It's obvious they've struggled and I wonder how much of the preorder money they have blown through?

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 7:46 PM, racerx said:

Get the fcuk out, dude.

Dude that comment was Epic. Man you are the real deal.  Props to you. Those pictures were cool to see, really awesome things you have been involved with. Thanks for sharing and it also shows you can be a serious fan and be honest about the vcs. Thank you

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

There is a semi serious Taco Box thread in the Modern section that hardly ever gets posts. I don't understand why the trouble makers have to post here. 

Yes, this is mostly jokes and cheap shots at this point but we do have some serious discussions at times. 

Regardless though that thread is wide open and available to all. Maybe instead of trolling over here, go visit that thread.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

I would lean more towards incompetent. Probably good intentions but didn't know what went into making a console. That might be part of the problem with the Wyatt lawsuit and not paying people. Just thought it would cost $XXX before having any type of working board or cost of parts figured out. It's obvious they've struggled and I wonder how much of the preorder money they have blown through?

I don't believe that.  He was on Fox Business more than once touting the things the console was going to do when it never existed.  He had to have known how complicated creating a product was, he's been in the 'business' for years.  I think he was a CEO trying to pump his stock prices up or get some more VC money.

• Like 3

Atari will license anything, even if it offers the same things as the VCS at a fraction of the cost.

Microcenter is selling Atari Pi Kit Bundle for $80 which includes:

USB Gamepad

32GB MicroSD card with game download utility containing 100+ licensed Atari Game

Power supply

HDMI cable

Custom DYI Raspberry PI Atari case

Raspberry Pi 3 B+

Starter Guide

This is in stock and available now.  Great way to play fully licensed Atari classics for much less than the VCS.  Custom case too, just like the VCS.    Only 320 less than the VCS bundle!

If you already have everything, $17 buys you just the Atari Custom Pi Case

Edited by rayik
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, rayik said:

I really like this case, even if it has a slight touch of a DIY case. Unfortunately my Recalbox setup uses a USB-SSD that does not fit into the most Raspberry Pi cases..

I wonder how many Troll E-mails Cheesegrater gets per day about a serious buy out... he be checking his Email

Cheeseguy searches for "Buyout"

330 results containing Buyout

MicrowSoft   -We would like to discuss a buyout...
App|e          -We would like to discuss a buyout...
Nintend0      -We would like to discuss a buyout...
Sorny           -We would like to discuss a buyout...
Taco Bell       -We would like to discuss a buyout...
------------click for 325 more----------------

ataritrolled.jpg

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, rayik said:

Atari will license anything, even if it offers the same things as the VCS at a fraction of the cost.

Now this is where I say I believe there's nothing wrong with that and in fact that's a very good strategy. The company is really structured to be a licensor and not much else, and has been for many years. The mistake with the VCS was not finding a company that already had a product or already did most of the work and then just leverage the Atari branding per usual. Something like the VCS was too big of an undertaking as a side project for a "small" company.

I pointed out in either this thread or the other one (who can keep track?), that that to me is the key difference between the Amico and the VCS in that the company behind the Amico is solely focused on and is prioritizing the console, while Atari is and can only be tangentially invested in the VCS, and in fact are not even structured in any real way around its success. If it only came out in the 10,000 - 15,000 unit console unit range and no more, it really wouldn't affect Atari's future trajectory one way or the other. They'd continue on licensing their IP to whoever wanted it. If the Amico failed to carve out the niche they're targeting and didn't hit their 30,000 - 40,000 minimum console sales targets, then the whole company is no more. It also goes without saying the one who is more invested in the success of their console product is also the one with a clear vision (whether one agrees with that vision or not) other than just to have a console.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rayik said:

Microcenter is selling Atari Pi Kit Bundle for $80 which includes:

USB Gamepad

32GB MicroSD card with game download utility containing 100+ licensed Atari Game

Power supply

HDMI cable

Custom DYI Raspberry PI Atari case

Raspberry Pi 3 B+

Starter Guide

This is in stock and available now.  Great way to play fully licensed Atari classics for much less than the VCS.  Custom case too, just like the VCS.    Only 320 less than the VCS bundle!

That $17 gets you a real wood veneer too. ?

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 1:26 PM, Agillig said:

Anyway, nostalgia is a powerful drug

Nostalgia, is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, and painting over the ugly parts.

We all do it though. I loved the 2600 but let's be honest there was a dearth of low quality games, enough that it eventually helped to kill the industry in the US.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Now this is where I say I believe there's nothing wrong with that and in fact that's a very good strategy. The company is really structured to be a licensor and not much else, and has been for many years. The mistake with the VCS was not finding a company that already had a product or already did most of the work and then just leverage the Atari branding per usual. Something like the VCS was too big of an undertaking as a side project for a "small" company.

I pointed out in either this thread or the other one (who can keep track?), that that to me is the key difference between the Amico and the VCS in that the company behind the Amico is solely focused on and is prioritizing the console, while Atari is and can only be tangentially invested in the VCS, and in fact are not even structured in any real way around its success. If it only came out in the 10,000 - 15,000 unit console unit range and no more, it really wouldn't affect Atari's future trajectory one way or the other. They'd continue on licensing their IP to whoever wanted it. If the Amico failed to carve out the niche they're targeting and didn't hit their 30,000 - 40,000 minimum console sales targets, then the whole company is no more. It also goes without saying the one who is more invested in the success of their console product is also the one with a clear vision (whether one agrees with that vision or not) other than just to have a console.

As much as I would like to NOT refer to Atari's business model as a Diversified Portfoleo (ugh I want to barf now) They are keeping all their eggs in many baskets, they know they are not really good at ANYTHING other than letting OTHER people do work and hope the Atari name retains some value. Now as for this massive failure, Yes they should have just stuck to letting other REAL business people make the product and they slap the name on it. Another thing they should have dont BEFORE they started on this rank amateur hobby VCS, was to look back at the not so old Coleco Chameleon and find out why it also took a turn for the worst. Both in the execution and conception. Both projects share many similarities, mainly a dreamer Leader of a company that knows nothing but wants to tell everyone what to do. You cannot win if you are fighting your own teammates. Lawsuits are not particularly good to have as well. Chesnais is not Steve Jobs, or Bill Gates. A leader should listen to the Woz in the company, he is the one that will build your products. Jobs was nevergood at making anything, but he knew how to market, how to assemble people that can bring a product to life and personally get things going instead of waiting for others to report back. A Leader needs to be there at the front line. Atari had none of these qualities. I have a feeling Atari is in for some rough waters caused by the global health crisis. Not many people are ready to shell out cash on garbage and retro games as much as before. That Atari Flashback sitting on the shelf might just sit there until it is $9.99

Edited by OCAT

23 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Not exactly. " To be frank, if we sell 35,000 or 50,000 units we're totally fine."

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 11:41 AM, Agillig said:

The only thing that looks mildly interesting to me is Antstream.   Most people have other ways to play these games, but if the service was released on Xbox and the price was right, I'd give it a shot.  Everything else looks like shovelware.   If someone buys the system and is happy with it, that's great.  But without a killer app, this won't sell nearly enough to be considered anything more than a continuation of Atari failures.

For what it's worth, Anstream runs perfectly fine on a PC and is definitely a competent service. I'd like to see a lower price, but then that's true of many services.

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I think they said they'd be OK if they hit 30 - 40k, but would be in great shape at 180k.

Break even is 180K for us. 

Already halfway there with purchase orders & pre-sales with zero marketing/advertising dollars spent.   :)

But yes sustainability at 50K (walk before we run) is do-able. 

Of course we are thinking MUCH bigger.  But structured the business model around sustainability and ramp up if needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1