IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

38 minutes ago, racerx said:

People have been clamoring for the next installments of 3-D Tic Tac Toe and Surround for decades.

Hey now, that's a little unfair.  I mean it's not like people are clamoring for new installments of Gyromite, and 10 Yard Fight either.

Of course people aren't exactly clamoring for that Yars' Revenge or Missile Command remake either, so... actually, nevermind. ?

• Haha 2

This is why Mobile gaming exists, so that worthless consoles like these dont have to. Thanks for adding more E-waste to the planet
?? Yea I said it. The most glaring thing about that first statement is that I am not even one of those Tree kissing ? ? Whale hugging ?moon maidens ?‍♀️?, I just dont like to see my city disposal taxes go up ? Dumsters are not free!

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 3

With the deepest respect Tidus, the Ataribox is not a video game console, it's a pc without a monitor. The sad thing is this was an afterthought well after the pre order campaign, but ironically becomes its strongest point. I'm not saying that's a bad idea, quite the opposite it's the only thing saving it given there is nothing exclusive about it. 

If they are moving towards a dedicated shop that ISNT accessible elsewhere then that is a bonus, I tried to read the dribble but got bored and probably need pictures but I've seen some of Freds dialup Internet Standard Definition webcam interviews before and it doesn't inspire confidence. 

But it's all maybes and possiblies till we see something tangible. Amico showed us games pretty near the start, you invest in the console then get 10 games for the price of 1 AAA title. For families that makes sense and becomes pocket change. Marketing is everything. Amico may well be weak, but look at Nintendo since the Snes, weakest consoles in the market but they make plenty of money. 

I could see myself using Ataribox to finish indie titles in my steam list. I'm not going to spend £300 to do that when I can move my laptop in 30 seconds and do the same job. 

4 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

The Atari VCS isn't try to be the most powerful console on the market.  They are trying to carve out a niche for themselves in a crowded console market and cannot compete toe to to with Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo since the don't have a resources or money for such battles.  It isn't how powerful you console is but what you do with it, as the old saying goes the software makes the hardware.  Many time in video history as less technically advance console have been more successful while consoles with higher spec and vastly improved capabilities have fallen flat on their face.  Nintendo is prime example that you don't need to have the most powerful and most technically advanced console on the marker to be a successful gaming platform and carve out niche in which to thrive.

While you talk about it being a console. Atari actually stated in their latest Medium post that the Atari VCS is a "fully functional mini-pc."  Good luck on competing in that market.  $400 + $130 for windows home 10 + $60 for a small SSD of HD + $30 for cheap keyboard / mouse and then installing /setting up.  Why would anyone prefer that over a prebuilt nuc, cheap laptop or desktop?

Edited by rayik

34 minutes ago, OCAT said:

This is why Mobile gaming exists, so that worthless consoles like these dont have to. Thanks for adding more E-waste to the planet
?? Yea I said it. The most glaring thing about that first statement is that I am not even one of those Tree kissing ? ? Whale hugging ?moon maidens ?‍♀️?, I just dont like to see my city disposal taxes go up ? Dumsters are not free!

-Many like myself do no enjoy mobile gaming with its clunky touchscreen control that don't lend themselves well to a lot genres of games.  It a find for limited type of gameplay but often leaves a lot to be desired.

- Before you retort that you can pair a controller to the mobile device I am going to say once you do that it stop being a mobile device and you can'teasily carry around a full size controller in your pocket so that just adds bulk and the you end up carrying a backpack or something to put these type of accessories in.

16 minutes ago, Mikebloke said:

With the deepest respect Tidus, the Ataribox is not a video game console, it's a pc without a monitor. The sad thing is this was an afterthought well after the pre order campaign, but ironically becomes its strongest point. I'm not saying that's a bad idea, quite the opposite it's the only thing saving it given there is nothing exclusive about it. 

If they are moving towards a dedicated shop that ISNT accessible elsewhere then that is a bonus, I tried to read the dribble but got bored and probably need pictures but I've seen some of Freds dialup Internet Standard Definition webcam interviews before and it doesn't inspire confidence. 

But it's all maybes and possiblies till we see something tangible. Amico showed us games pretty near the start, you invest in the console then get 10 games for the price of 1 AAA title. For families that makes sense and becomes pocket change. Marketing is everything. Amico may well be weak, but look at Nintendo since the Snes, weakest consoles in the market but they make plenty of money. 

I could see myself using Ataribox to finish indie titles in my steam list. I'm not going to spend £300 to do that when I can move my laptop in 30 seconds and do the same job. 

- The Atari VCS is hybrid of console and PC.  It was never intended to be dedicated console with a closed proprietary eco system like dedicated consoles.

- The Atari VCS at launch will have 100 retro titles included for free accessible in the Atari vault

- There will be original and content added to the the Atari Store over time.  You can't expect at day one that all content will be available and announced.  Just like any console the content grows over time and what is being offered gets expanded upon and enhanched.

- Many find a device such as the Atari VCS tappealing as it can be retro gaming console or PC use for emulation of other consoles of whatever else want to purpose it to.  The Atari Wireless Classic Joystick and the modern controller a very nice to have for such a setup.  The design looks sleek. provides a reasonable amount of power for device its size (mid gaming laptop performance), is near silent and will seamlessly integrate and blend into the entertainment center setup for many and make and retro and Indieg aming accessible to anyone from their sofa and without the need to setting up a dedicated PC to do this.

The “VCS” in Atari VCS stands for “Video Computer System,” which is both a nod to Atari’s legacy and an incredibly accurate description of what the device is. The VCS is a fully-functional mini-PC that uses the TV, or any video monitor screen, as its primary interface in a way that feels like a traditional console experience. This is why we have taken to calling the Atari VCS a “PC/Console Hybrid.”

The elements of the Atari VCS that are “retro” flavored are the name of course, the industrial design, the new Classic Joystick, and the Atari Vault collection of 100 classic games which comes free with every purchase. The Vault and the Joystick are an homage to the brand’s origins, and an opportunity for Atari’s original fans, and a new generation of fans to rediscover the joy of playing games on an all-new Atari. But even the new Atari Joystick brings modern tech and capabilities to the experience.

So, while the VCS is definitely not a retro-console, we do like the term “retro reimagined” to help describe the Atari VCS’s appeal to gamers who like retro gaming but also want a more versatile, modern device.”

Our goal plan is to treat indie games like our AAA content. So, if by “Triple-A” games you are asking if the Atari VCS will feature titles similar to “Halo” or “Last of Us,” then the answer is “not at the moment.” But we know the Atari VCS can run many AAA titles, and we expect some of them to make their way into our Store over time.

What the Atari VCS game library looks like on day one, day one-hundred, and day one-thousand are going to be three very different things.

Atari and its partners do have several games in development that will start as “Atari VCS Exclusives” or offer “Atari VCS Optimized” versions with exclusive content and/or features. Not all of these will be in place on day one, but we look forward to announcing them.”

9 minutes ago, Tidus79001 said:

- The Atari VCS is hybrid of console and PC.  It was never intended to be dedicated console with a closed proprietary eco system like dedicated consoles.

As a PC, it's underpowered and overpriced relative to the tech it offers.  As a console, it offers no innovative features over its competitors, beyond being "Oh yeah, also a crap PC."

You're basically saying it's failing at two things at once.

- The Atari VCS at launch will have 100 retro titles included for free accessible in the Atari vault

As we've said, available on every console, PC, mobile device, and Sit-n-spin for the past two decades.

- There will be original and content added to the the Atari Store over time.  You can't expect at day one that all content will be available and announced.  Just like any console the content grows over time and what is being offered gets expanded upon and enhanched.

Absolutely you can expect that, if they want to be taken seriously.  The other consoles have managed it, including fledgling upstarts like Amico and PolyMega.  What you can expect is that the launch software will at least present a compelling case that more software will follow.  Atari should be leading with their strongest locked-in titles... and sadly, I think they are.

- Many find a device such as the Atari VCS tappealing as it can be retro gaming console or PC use for emulation of other consoles of whatever else want to purpose it to.  The Atari Wireless Classic Joystick and the modern controller a very nice to have for such a setup.  The design looks sleek. provides a reasonable amount of power for device its size (mid gaming laptop performance), is near silent and will seamlessly integrate and blend into the entertainment center setup for many and make and retro and Indieg aming accessible to anyone from their sofa and without the need to setting up a dedicated PC to do this.

In other words, it's pretty, and you like the pretty... and really nothing else matters.  

Truthfully, if that's where you're coming from, that's cool with me.  Just own it.

Edited by godslabrat
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

As an example, this random company is releasing this mini PC for as low as $150 with Facebook link: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/chuwi-larkbox-world-s-smallest-4k-mini-pc/x/1463963?fbclid=IwAR3O574gu7yKEXRiqiBK9Rq7UpQcMzY7SA7M2iyrVZ3DipJXU2EE_z_DE-o#/

And personal opinion, but I think the cube looks nicer than a slab, even a slab that's vaguely VCS-shaped:

bpaqlzf0kaivxa7lrb2h.png

I *assume* the Atari VCS will be more powerful, but is it twice as powerful? Probably not. And that price above includes Windows 10. I don't think the VCS includes a Windows 10 license, right?

I think the VCS would have been better received at at least $100 off what it's going for. I think a lot of the vagueness, lack of games, etc., would have been better received at say a $199 price point for the top offering. It would then be a step up from Pi/Odroid bundles or these mini PCs that are relatively common. Of course, most consoles and many mobile devices for that matter, rely on the razor blade model and I don't think Atari trusts it can make it back in software and services sales, so there's likely little incentive to sell units at near cost. In other words, they have to pad the hardware price as a revenue source because they can't trust they'll get it another way.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, RedWolfJC said:

It's funny, I think the VCS looks interesting.  Just *looks* interesting.  Like if I saw it on a shelf somewhere I'd be like "Hey what is that, it looks interesting!"  I wish they spent more time on what it is and less on how it looks...

I was never really hot or cold on the Amico, but I will say in a few posts here, Tommy was pretty hostile to a few people who questioned his vision.

I'm not going to get into whether he was justified or not, as I'm sure people have opinions both ways, but when you're trying to sell a product, it's best to try to maintain a level of professionalism, even when others don't show you the same courtesy.  

I know that put me off of it quite a bit.  Not to the point of denigrating it, but I assume others felt the same way, and some probably had a stronger reaction, than I did.

Ultimately I didn't preorder it, but I suppose once it hits retail, I'll probably pick it up.

I missed the tiff.

I showed my son the video of the Amico. He is an avid gamer across multiple platforms and the PC, and he said, "Cool." Which is very high praise. LOL

I will be honest; I went into Walmart the other day and they were selling new (but older model) phones for $9 each.

I bought one and used it as a wifi device so my dad could listen to online talk radio over a bluetooth speaker on his deck. And I had the longest debate with myself on whether to spend the $9 on the phone, as it will never be activated as a phone.

But I remember buying a Blip Football cartridge off of AtariAge for $25, even though I have a working handheld football game. Why? Because it was interesting to me, I suppose.

It doesn't matter the technical specs; most of us buy Homebrews for one reason or another, and never once do we stop to consider that we are purchasing out-of-date technology. Whether we are supporting the programmer who poured several months of his life into the cartridge, or we have a whiff of nostalgia, or perhaps we are an avid collector, we buy something because it means SOMETHING to us.

I love my Atari because it meant something to me as a child, but I find nothing about the new VCS endearing to me personally. After all, it won't play my old cartridges, it doesn't advertise anything "new" that catches my eye that another system doesn't already have, and all you are paying for is an implemented joystick control, which seems expensive for the price point.

On the other hand, the Amico appears interesting and unique. Yes, the controllers resemble cell phones, but they look better than the Nintendo Switch. Let's hope they work better. And there are some interesting game implementations on the platform for casual gamers who want something more "arcade-oriented."

The VCS has already failed because it is completely GAMELESS. That does not mean you won't be able to play any games on it, but it will not offer anything you cannot get elsewhere. The Amico is a different gaming experience, and that may prove interesting. I'm not 100% sold on it yet, but I will definitely give it a serious look after I read real user reviews.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CPUWIZ said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085RLQN5Z

$25 clickable coupon

23OAGDDT code

Total: $198

71s0ART6xsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

But it's a computer... and I don't know how to use a computer unless it has a Fuji logo on it.  Then I suddenly become a l33tgamursuperhacker with my awesome HTPC!!

• Haha 9

3 hours ago, The Historian said:

EeIay3SUwAEGUEM.thumb.png.57ddee48b260f9e5903750cc4b1ac39a.png

Could that be the real box? Looks so cheap. Also why these dudes never have the time to unbox and test the equipment? How much time does it take to unpack it ,plug it to a tv and navigate some menus and show the apps?

Edited by Yarzzz
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yarzzz said:

Could that be the real box? Looks so cheap. Also why these dudes never have the time to unbox and test the equipment? How much time does it take to unpack it ,plug it to a tv and navigate some menus and show the apps?

Im on the other side of the fence... I think it looks too good to be a "prototype" box, and it wouldn't make lot of sense for there to be production boxes in the hands of consumers yet.  I'm really curious where this came from.  I don't want to accuse them of being a paid shill, but as of yet, the only other theory I have is that they're trolling Twitter.

In any case, I reserve judgement until I see something of substance.

• Like 5

From a pure production standpoint, it would cost a hell of a lot more to print specific 400/800/Onyx/Walnut/Collector's/whatever boxes, like this appears to be.

That's the kind of stuff usually relegated to an endflap sticker, especially by a tiny company like Atari.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, DemonAttack82 said:

This confirms a lot of what has been speculated on this thread. So basically nobody who has received one of the 96 promotional units has bothered to open it and show the damned product to the internet?

I wonder why pdubs didnt get one...

Edited by Yarzzz
  • Like 5

^ Here we go... I knew it. 96 units for friends of the family. None of the backers are getting ANYTHING. After this all goes down I expect these to end up on E-bay at insanely inflated prices. And yet there will be atari fans waiting to spend all thier savings to buy one. Disgusting ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I hope that the word gets out, Atari should be held accountable for giving away these 96 consoles to friends, this is blatant fraud. You take money, you make ONLY 96 units, then begin to give them away to friends of the family. There should be outrage! Atari needs to be called out on this. Indiegogo is just as culpable for being an enabler. The whereabouts of these 96 units need to be public info.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

1) right now, still doesn't do anything my laptop won't do. In fact the last laptop I bought 6 years ago is more powerful than the Ataribox

2) yes, I have atari vault on steam. I paid £2 for the base game and something like £3.5 for the dlc. £6 is a lot less than £300.

3) yes I can. Its been planned for literally years, it should be ready on day 1, as services is highly dependent on as high uptake as possible to keep it going. There is a reason why games like Final Fantasy 11 and 14 still have servers which are paid through monthly subscriptions and services like Ouya are dead. 

4) yes, OK this is fine, but it's the worst price wise for this kind of device. Remember that Raspberry Pis were designed to be sold for less than £30 do this kind of thing, that's 10% of the price, and came out years ago. Atari even licenced one that is available now, though DIY would be better. 

4.5) yes, the classic controller got people talking. In fact, it's probably the only thing that has been well received. I might be among people who buy one at some point in the future, but I'm not going to buy a console for it. 

Ataribox is not mid range. My old laptop was mid to high when it came out. It now lists as the top end of low. Ataribox isn't as strong as my old laptop with a 860M graphics card. 

• Like 1