IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

2 hours ago, frankodragon said:

Quite honestly, this probably would be me.

If I ever bought an Atari Box; it would likely be to replace my Atari Flashback and just used to play classic Atari games on.

Like so many others have said, it brings absolutely nothing new to the table. Everything it offers, chances are you already own something that not already does the exact same thing; but likely also better.

An online Atari Flashback has some appeal, but not even close to the point where I would consider dropping 400$ for it.

5DC8A805-1CC5-4787-8A81-57EE14423647.thumb.png.c274f4830773914df74107a0622d7019.png

Thought I would throw this one into the mix, currently sold out and $2 more than the one CPUWiz posted but....ups the ante with an i5 processor, Win 10 Pro, 128gb ssd, HP brand name, and “800” in the model name.

Install Steam for free, buy the Atari Vault and the add on pack for $2.50 and you have your VCS.  

Here is a comparison of the i5 4590T vs the Ryzen R1606G:

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_i5_4590t-378-vs-amd_ryzen_embedded_r1606g-1198

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

if anything, it'll be nice when this comes out so that the the superfans can finally show all us 'haters' just how wrong we were and how we'll continue to type our hate messages on our secret Atariboxes.  Wouldn't that be something?

the sun will rise and set on yet another mediocre PC set-top box.

• Haha 6

On 7/30/2020 at 11:18 AM, rayik said:

While you talk about it being a console. Atari actually stated in their latest Medium post that the Atari VCS is a "fully functional mini-pc."  Good luck on competing in that market.  $400 + $130 for windows home 10 + $60 for a small SSD of HD + $30 for cheap keyboard / mouse and then installing /setting up.  Why would anyone prefer that over a prebuilt nuc, cheap laptop or desktop?

Why would anyone pay 130 for Windows 10 Home?  Just slap GamerOS on there.  https://gamer-os.github.io/

1 hour ago, leech said:

Why would anyone pay 130 for Windows 10 Home?  Just slap GamerOS on there.  https://gamer-os.github.io/

That gets you Linux compatible Steam games, right? I think some people want to use the VCS as a mini PC for some reason. I'm sure some distros of Linux would work just fine on it, but that's not necessarily average consumer territory.

• Like 2

Atari should just pay microsoft to put windows on some units, much cheaper. They sell Walmart laptops for $129US with Windows 10 Home and 1 year of online office (worth about $1 to me) . I am guessing microsoft would charge Atari more because it is a "gaming console" form factor and they do not want "competition" to the Xbox seriesX1 box thing whatever it is called, using their own OS. Not to mention Xbox is going through some shakey waters becuase of the "backwards compatible to windows 3.1" feature ?

1 hour ago, OCAT said:

Atari should just pay microsoft to put windows on some units, much cheaper. They sell Walmart laptops for $129US with Windows 10 Home and 1 year of online office (worth about $1 to me) . I am guessing microsoft would charge Atari more because it is a "gaming console" form factor and they do not want "competition" to the Xbox seriesX1 box thing whatever it is called, using their own OS. Not to mention Xbox is going through some shakey waters becuase of the "backwards compatible to windows 3.1" feature ?

I honestly don't think l'Atari would want to deal with Microsoft directly.  I don't even think they want to deal with Windows directly.  Doing that would require lawyers and programmers, all of whom cost money, and that's money that doesn't go into the pocket's of Fred's hookers and bookies.  I mean, in theory. It's not like the company has a strong track record for paying their bills.  On the other hand, Microsoft has a great track record for collecting money owed to them.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, digdugnate said:

if anything, it'll be nice when this comes out so that the the superfans can finally show all us 'haters' just how wrong we were and how we'll continue to type our hate messages on our secret Atariboxes.  Wouldn't that be something?

the sun will rise and set on yet another mediocre PC set-top box.

LOL.  I saw that comment on the supporters page.  The idea that we'll buy this thing because retro collectors have to have everything because we don't want to be left out is absurd.   Apparently they think we'll be so curious we need to buy one of these systems in order to keep bashing it.

One of the mods says a backer who criticized Atari should get a refund, because he doesn't deserve to own one of these systems.  What world are these guys living in?  I'm sure a lot of backers are feeling like they don't "deserve" to own a Taco Box, and should be forced to get a refund.

Edited by Agillig
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, OCAT said:

On that $139 PC you'll also be getting a ton of bundled crapware and that's basically what's paying for your Windows license.

I doubt Microsoft would care much if Atari wanted to do the same. The idea that they are in any way competitors would probably prompt fits of laughter and snorts of derision.

Atari presumably just want to take the money for the crapware (i.e. premium subscription services) while using a free OS. That might actually be a smart move were it not for the level of comic ineptness elsewhere.

19 hours ago, Saldo said:

5DC8A805-1CC5-4787-8A81-57EE14423647.thumb.png.c274f4830773914df74107a0622d7019.png

Thought I would throw this one into the mix, currently sold out and $2 more than the one CPUWiz posted but....ups the ante with an i5 processor, Win 10 Pro, 128gb ssd, HP brand name, and “800” in the model name.

Install Steam for free, buy the Atari Vault and the add on pack for $2.50 and you have your VCS.  

Here is a comparison of the i5 4590T vs the Ryzen R1606G:

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_i5_4590t-378-vs-amd_ryzen_embedded_r1606g-1198

slap some wood grain vinyl on its top and call it a day, think I paid 8 bucks for the stuff I got to be used for interior car trim and it was enough to do an entire icade 

• Like 2

Windows 10 itself can be considered "crapware", I spent more time tweaking the free upgrade install of W10 than actually downloading and installing it. I have never seen so many toggles to turn off spying in my life!
But anyone who bought a cheap prefab computer knows to first remove all the crapware immediately. With the limited space it is most likely just plash links to download and install the web version of it anyway.

Windows preinstalled would have given this "console" a reason for any noob to buy it. The effort to actually install a second OS is not only a waste of money, but also not for a typical Netflix consumer, that this is AIMED at.

It just shocks me that they can build and sell a "laptop" for $129 and still make a profit. Meanwhile Atari charged $400 for another piece of crap and still cannot deliver AFTER they got the money they asked for. This is pathetic, does mommy have to hold Chesnais' hand? awww ??

3 hours ago, OCAT said:

vomit

yes everyone should hate *insert current version of windows here for reasons that the vast majority of people really don't give a shit about*

It just shocks me that they can build and sell a "laptop" for $129 and still make a profit. Meanwhile Atari charged $400 for another piece of crap and still cannot deliver AFTER they got the money they asked for. This is pathetic, does mommy have to hold Chesnais' hand? awww ??

that does beg the question, if I can get a thin client running windows (ffs windows 10 for pi is free isnt it) how come a "big name" like atari can't strike a deal? Long-dong or OneHung-Lo managed to do it, and have been able to do it for years now off of aliexpress  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

That gets you Linux compatible Steam games, right? I think some people want to use the VCS as a mini PC for some reason. I'm sure some distros of Linux would work just fine on it, but that's not necessarily average consumer territory.

Yeah, and Proton's compatibility is quite excellent at this stage.  But you can get Windows for FAR cheaper than 130...and it isn't very couch friendly.  GamerOS is a community built version of SteamOS, just with a different distro as its background and adds in some other things I think (like GOG support?  I have to try it out soon as I have some appropriate hardware.)

2 hours ago, Osgeld said:

that does beg the question, if I can get a thin client running windows (ffs windows 10 for pi is free isnt it) how come a "big name" like atari can't strike a deal? Long-dong or OneHung-Lo managed to do it, and have been able to do it for years now off of aliexpress  

There are two versions of Windows 10 that you can run on the Pi and only one of them (Windows 10 Internet of Things) is free. That's the version that only lets you run universal apps, so no Steam, no browser other than Edge, and everything runs in a performance-crippling sandbox. It's fun for a couple of days, but even if you don't hate Microsoft it'll have you back to running Linux soon enough.

The other version, Windows 10 on ARM - which will run Win32 applications via emulation - isn't free, isn't officially supported, and doesn't entirely work. That a cheap single-board computer can even run a hacked preview build is impressive though, considering where we were only a few years back.

None of this would matter to Atari since they've got an x86 CPU. They'd just have to give Microsoft some money, and I think we've already established how little they like paying for things.

• Haha 3