IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Received an email about an hour ago from the "Atari VCS Team" with links to a Q&A (which has many of the same answers - a variant on "The Atari VCS is powered by an AMD Ryzen R1606G processor with Radeon “Vega” Graphics technology, which is a modern X86 PC processor.") https://medium.com/@atarivcs/atari-vcs-july-2020-q-a-with-coo-381f121f664c

...and a Developer Page: https://shop.atarivcs.com/developer

Does anyone know who is actually developing anything for it? You'd think they'd be mentioning this & showing WIP of the exciting things you will be able to play this Christmas when your $400 finally pays off.

• Haha 1

Several hundred pages ago, there was a discussion of some people who did try and contact Atari when they had setup an email portal for becoming a VCS developer. 100% of those who said they attempted it never heard back from Atari. Maybe now they'll actually respond, but good luck in finding anyone naive enough to get suckered into a financial deal with Atari (and who find 12k sales worth that extra 8% in "exclusive" revenue sales).

I don't have anything against AMD...I have a Ryzen PC with an RX580 graphics card in the machine I'm using right now. But for a company that is supposedly not trying to compete with other consoles or PCs, they sure do seem to like making it seem like their machine is totally a powerhouse (notice they don't mention which Vega is being used and many won't bother to look up to see how it all compares).

Per this list below, the Ryzen R1606G finds itself as #906 on a list of 2937 CPUs - just note that this list includes old/ancient processors including the Pentium III and 4 (The Atari VCS - more powerful than a PC from 1996! or Outperforms the Sega Dreamcast in most applications! may not be the slogan they're looking for)

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

EDIT: I did some checking to see if anyone had some other R1606G embedded machines...there is the DFI GHF51, but can't find anyone operating games on one yet.

Here's the next best thing - only $150 for the PC shown here, and it uses the AMD Ryzen 3 2200G - quite a bit more powerful than the R1606G (ranked 617 on the benchmark list above). This one at half the price of a VCS and more power, manages several games at playable rates, albiet when you run most of them at 720p low settings. Can't wait to see a shill assume that since Atari has said so much about "4k" with the machine that they try a PC game at 4K or high settings and watch the machine begin to smoke...

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
added info
  • Like 3

Just now, Paul Slocum said:

Eh, it's $150 for the case and motherboard with no CPU, RAM, or storage: https://www.newegg.com/asrock-deskmini-a300w/p/N82E16856158064

Ah my bad, I mainly was watching the part with the games :P Scratch that I guess, but from a power level, I think it still holds to show that VCS running PC games is going to be a huge disappointment for certain individuals who are hyping that up

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Several hundred pages ago, there was a discussion of some people who did try and contact Atari when they had setup an email portal for becoming a VCS developer. 100% of those who said they attempted it never heard back from Atari. Maybe now they'll actually respond, but good luck in finding anyone naive enough to get suckered into a financial deal with Atari (and who find 12k sales worth that extra 8% in "exclusive" revenue sales).

I never really bought into the idea that if Atari had been more responsive there would be developers lining up. It's just a low-end Linux PC, so any developer with basic skills could build a game... They didn't really need a go ahead from Atari

I'm not saying that had they been responsive that it would have attracted devs, just that had Atari been taking this as seriously as they supposedly have been taking it, then that would have at least had been professional. Just the fact that it will have at best a little over 10k units to sell a game to means that no one in their right mind would make something exclusive for it. Even more laughable is the thought that it's "the place" for indie devs to go to right now, as though the Nintendo Switch doesn't exist.

It's just another example of their incompetence in the matter.

• Like 1

Atari never responded to inquiries to Devs because they are only interested in doing business with the big boys. AAA games.
After all Atari has been making games since 1975, they do not have time for amateur hour ?
they are big industry leader ? big money men

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

So, as said before, we have the alleged 96.  This pretty much confirms that none of them are going to backers and all are being used for giveaways (which, to be honest, would qualify as a *bribe* in many companies, including the one I work for)

Restating the question I asked before: if Atari were financially capable of producing the backer units, is there any reason for them to not do so?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, godslabrat said:

Restating the question I asked before: if Atari were financially capable of producing the backer units, is there any reason for them to not do so?

I get the feeling that the last thing Atari want right now is for someone who hasn't signed an NDA to get their hands on the hardware.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, OCAT said:

So it begins.. the dissidence ??
The rage must be swelling inthe backers ?. they waited this long and then some "SHELLY" gets a free VCS, this is the Ultimate in Trolling.

I haven't seen any reaction from them yet over this.  They've ignored every other warning sign, I doubt they'll understand why they should be upset about this. 

I'm curious what happens in 2021 rolls around and the system still hasn't been released. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Agillig said:

I haven't seen any reaction from them yet over this.  They've ignored every other warning sign, I doubt they'll understand why they should be upset about this. 

I'm curious what happens in 2021 rolls around and the system still hasn't been released. 

I don't think the diehards are capable of standing up for their rights as consumers.  "Hey, we told you it exists!" Is the hill they will die on.

• Like 2

FrankoDragon, it was Sivermania. This Atari VCS box looks suspiciously bland and the sheen on the box resemples ths box from the Coleco Chameloen unboxing as well, That was the first thing I noticed about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKR1XNsHKeU

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Agillig said:

The people who blindly believe will always do so, even when it NEVER hits their mailboxes. I felt bad for them at a time, but ignorance is bliss I guess.

Would this not be considered bribery? sending gifts to family of the accociates working on a contract for the Atari Hotels?
I just bring this up so that it can possible be included in some journalistic report later down the line.
Unless the girl is making games for the VCS...
I really hope this backfires on IndiGoGo as well.

I called it, 96 units for 96 "favors".. I am sure there were 100 units made, 2 for Big-C and 1 each for his goons to pawn off later. 3million dollars for 100 units... $30,000 consoles. Paid for by Donations. Is this the most expensive console ever made?
Even the NeoGeo was only like $700 back in the day, and that is like $1,300 todays money.

Well, if people had eyes open they would have seen this coming from day 1.
It all started in a Hotel, and now it has ended in a Hotel. Big-C probably is forward thinking, he probably negociated a side deal where he gets unlimited stays in Atari hotels. Remember how Atari used Hotels to show off the plastic box? Big-C has no budget for hotels now, so he will use his free stays at Atari hotels from now on. Sort of like how that dude in prison had the priviledge to walk into any "BuSway" and order any free sandwich anytime anywhere.
I'm sure his Jet-hopping-plans to escape are now compromised with the lack of Airlines operating.

(Allegedly)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, OCAT said:

Would this not be considered bribery? sending gifts to family of the accociates working on a contract for the Atari Hotels?
I just bring this up so that it can possible be included in some journalistic report later down the line.
Unless the girl is making games for the VCS...
I really hope this backfires on IndiGoGo as well.

I called it, 96 units for 96 "favors".. I am sure there were 100 units made, 2 for Big-C and 1 each for his goons to pawn off later. 3million dollars for 100 units... $30,000 consoles. Paid for by Donations. Is this the most expensive console ever made?
Even the NeoGeo was only like $700 back in the day, and that is like $1,300 todays money.

Well, if people had eyes open they would have seen this coming from day 1.
It all started in a Hotel, and now it has ended in a Hotel. Big-C probably is forward thinking, he probably negociated a side deal where he gets unlimited stays in Atari hotels. Remember how Atari used Hotels to show off the plastic box? Big-C has no budget for hotels now, so he will use his free stays at Atari hotels from now on. Sort of like how that dude in prison had the priviledge to walk into any "BuSway" and order any free sandwich anytime anywhere.
I'm sure his Jet-hopping-plans to escape are now compromised with the lack of Airlines operating.

(Allegedly)

Since l'Atari is not a public servant, I don't know if the legal definition of bribery is relevant (not a lawyer, but work with me here...).  In cases like this, it usually falls onto the individual company's Code of Ethics... and since we know Fred has none, that's probably a nonissue.

However, if this were a company that wanted to be seen as marginally relevant, they'd probably have something like this as their bribery policy:

1- Gifts cannot be valued at more than $200

2- Gifts should not be accepted under the suggestion they would influence a business decision

3- Gifts should not be issued to relatives of the employee

4- Gifts should be reported publicly

5- Funding for gifts should be tracked to an allotted budget.  

This situation fails all these.

• Like 1