IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

13 hours ago, Agillig said:

I haven't seen any reaction from them yet over this.  They've ignored every other warning sign, I doubt they'll understand why they should be upset about this. 

I'm curious what happens in 2021 rolls around and the system still hasn't been released. 

Or when 2022, 2023,etc rolls around and it still hasn't been released... 

• Like 2

^Well well well, The amico has been delayed until 2021.. I guess we WILL have to wait until then, Atari would not pass up this oppertunity to say "our competition has also delayed the release of the unitellivision Amico for such and such reasons, we also have these issues."

(Allegedly)

This ? is about to go down like a free Tacos buffet! ?

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, orange808 said:

If an Atari branded lodging establishment ever opens, it will have hourly rates.  :)

That'd give some people a chance to whip out their joysticks,   or maybe show off their paddles...

And after that, maybe they'll play some video games!  :rolling: 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, OCAT said:

^Well well well, The amico has been delayed until 2021.. I guess we WILL have to wait until then, Atari would not pass up this oppertunity to say "our competition has also delayed the release of the unitellivision Amico for such and such reasons, we also have these issues."

(Allegedly)

This ? is about to go down like a free Tacos buffet! ?

I think Atari and the VCS boosters would still have to careful as the Amico people have been showing off a lot of games on the platform. While they mostly seem mobile game level quality (which is a different issue), the fact that they have actual enthusiastic developers to show off and lots of games to showcase makes sense, as does showing the controllers and what-not in action for a system that will eventually be released. It's still a lengthy delay, however.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tripled79 said:

I guess this thread should be called the Atari VCS haters group...

Haters? Naw, until it is actually in a backers hand and proven to be anything that Atari has claimed there is literally nothing to hate ? Now, doubters might be a more realistic label and until proven otherwise that is perfectly understandable and valid. 

• Like 6

From day one we were skeptical about this device and today, we still are.  Especially when the intern at "Atari" has been deleting any comment that comes with constructive criticism.  Not to mention whether or not if adding something like Win 10 might cause the un-console to have a meltdown.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tripled79 said:

I guess this thread should be called the Atari VCS haters group...

Haters group? I thought this is where we all try out our standup routines to see what sticks. Have I been posting in the wrong group?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Funny all of you have been silent about the news of the delay of the Intellivision Amico.  If this was the Atari announcing a delay you would be be trolling that news to no end.  Yep, Hypocrisy is alive and well in this thread.  That being said I am not upset about the delay I want Intellivsion to take time and get things right and not just rush something out just to compete the stated October 2020 release date for the Atari VCS.  Product launch delays are normal so I am not go to act like this is some cause for concern.  Better to take the time make the it the product that people were expectting as opposed to cutting corners just to rush it market or leave things out unfinished or dropping feature that was supposed to be in the product just to make some date that can be adjusted for the better good for the product and the consumers who paid for that product.

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Tidus79001 said:

Funny all of you have silent about the news of the delay of the Intellivision Amico.  If this was the Atari announcing a delay you would be be trolling that news to no end.  Yep, Hypocrisy is alive and well in this thread.

I would say that you're comparing two very different situations.  The Amico launch delay was the *first* and *only* such delay they've announced, and it was specifically because of COVID-19, which is a circumstance that everyone can relate to because we're all having to deal with it in our own way; with very few exceptions, it's causing delays and disruptions across the board, in every country and every industry.  They've also been very open and transparent about it; anyone who has been following that project has known for months that this was a possibility.  How many times has "Atari" postponed or delayed the VCS, and with a lot less transparency?  I've honestly lost count at this point.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Every morning I start the day with a large glass of haterade with a dish of hater tots on the side. ?

Seriously, I don't hate the modern day Atari. I just see them as what they are; a supplier of badges for other people who make actual products. Some of those products are good - Vault, Tempest 4000, Rollercoaster Tycoon Classic - while others like the Flashback are still OK for what you're paying.

Most are absolute dreck though and the Ataribox/VCS has always seemed destined for that category. It's been like watching a slow motion car crash for the past three years. I'd still hope that the backers eventually get something but it's almost certainly not going to be great.

As for the Amico, it's not something that interests me in the slightest. I believe they'll still let people cancel their preorders for a full refund though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tidus79001 said:

Funny all of you have been silent about the news of the delay of the Intellivision Amico.  If this was the Atari announcing a delay you would be be trolling that news to no end.  Yep, Hypocrisy is alive and well in this thread.  That being said I am not upset about the delay I want Intellivsion to take time and get things right and not just rush something out just to compete the stated October 2020 release date for the Atari VCS.  Product launch delays are normal so I am not go to act like this is some cause for concern.  Better to take the time make the it the product that people were expectting as opposed to cutting corners just to rush it market or leave things out unfinished or dropping feature that was supposed to be in the product just to make some date that can be adjusted for the better good for the product and the consumers who paid for that product.

Actually, the intellivision delay makes it easier to believe the atari delay using the same reason. We actually try to avoid mentioning the amico here because it has its own threads. The problem is amicos entire promotional and branding strategy is to mock the Ataribox's own incapabilities to make itself look good, so it's hard not to mention it when atari 2014 continues to make constant failings. 

Lots of projects now seem to be effected by an afterwave of Covid, analogue pocket seems to have also been effected by limiting numbers. 

But here is the thing, these projects aren't effected because Chinese workers can't get to work, it's because raw resource production in Chinese client states has drawn down to a hault. You can also believe that Sony and Microsoft has made sure to monopolise as much production ready for their own releases, amico and ataribox was never going to get priority. 

The other thing is the Ataribox blamed covid, but their production area was a) not in an area effected by lockdown b) before world production of raw materials ground to a hault c) was not effected by any other product getting priority and d) was made by one or two workers who were able to work safely at a distance from the videos they released themselves anyway. And finally e) was not reliant on new parts being made, so everything could be shipped to manufacturing. 

There was nothing in the Ataribox situation where covid actually effected it, other than atari stopping it. Even I was able to get PCB boards built. 

• Like 5

This looks cool.

https://gizmodo.com/the-rg350p-is-the-retro-portable-you-should-buy-1844550438

I like this part:

"That’s the story behind the RG350P. It’s the second follow-up to the original RG350, and by actually listening to users and incorporating their feedback (what a concept!) the RG350P is a welcome improvement."

EDIT, the newer version is even better.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

I'm confused.   Why would we be talking about the Amico in the VCS thread?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Agillig said:

I'm confused.   Why would we be talking about the Amico in the VCS thread?

Indeed.  I have my thoughts on the Amico, but this isn't the place to share them.  Not a difficult concept. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

Indeed.  I have my thoughts on the Amico, but this isn't the place to share them.  Not a difficult concept. 

Because often that is what is done in this thread when disparaging the Atari VCS.

• Like 2

Why hate the new Atari?  Well for starters, they like to sue anyone including artists for using their likenesses like joysticks and such.  I'd be thrilled and honored if I were a game company, and an artist drew my consoles, joysticks, etc. for T-shirts, mugs, you name it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Need some honesty?  Okay.

Atari has been rudderless since Jack Tramiel left. 

Since then, Atari's most notable accomplishment remains the same:  milk the real Atari VCS for all its worth.  They even managed to screw up the classy Atari VCS name with a stupid name:  Atari 2600.

There's always some grifter in charge doing as little as possible, pocketing every dime immediately, investing nothing, pointing the company at the ground, and bailing out.

Same as it ever was.

The only thing that's changed is the "quality" of the grifters.  Atari is a small time hustle these days.  :)

• Like 3