IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

2 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

That's not going to protect you in any courts of law, you know.

Allegedly.

He has not said a single lie so theres no court in the world that can condemn him.

(Allegedly)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OCAT said:

Looking at all the comments on what Nintendo does right and Atari did wrong should hit home to everyone shilling for Atari.
I will try to put together some points that I observe in a subjective way.
Now take this with a shake of salt on your Taco, this is what has been said in the last few hundred pages from memory.

1- People who have shown interest to develop games for Atari have reported no reply from Atari. Very very bad.

2- There will be very small number of consoles. Atari themselves are touting Sandbox Mode, meaning the hardware will never be put onto the streaming platform and none of them will be buying games, Just like the Playstation Debacle where people were buying the PS3 to use as a super-computer with the Other OS function.
Many people have said they just want to use the Ataribox as a streaming box and lounge PC. No reveneu for Atari and partners from the Sandbox mode consoles. That leaves even less consoles generating revenue.

3- Advertising is non-existant, not only that but if you TRY to find information on the system, you just cant.

4- In a battered worldwide economy, no one other than niche buyers are going to spend money on this thing.

5-Atari never had any intention to actually go through with the plan to build anything, they are stalling because they know it will be a massive failure. They are looking to mitigate any negative costs to the company. This was all aplan to make Atari more attraactive for a buyout. They are taking off the shelf "parts" for every aspect of the system. Games are from a streaming service they do not have to maintain in any way. There is nothing stopping these games from being played on a computer using the josystick or controller, making the VCS unnecessary.

(Allegedly)

Before saying this, let me make clear that I am not saying the VCS will be successful, but I do think some of these points may be a little off.

With regard to 1, I think this is being way overblown. I 1000% agree that a lack of response is bad business, but it is not correct to suggest that this has negatively impacted the console. The big draw is that you get an enhanced revenue split by releasing a game on the VCS. No one is going to commit to this until the launch date is completely solid. Second, Atari has been clear for a while that it is Linux based so it's not like people were waiting for an SDK to start development. There are no or very few announced games because there is no business reason to go exclusive on the VCS, not because Atari did not reply to some emails.

With regard to 4, the pandemic has not really dampened spending on gaming, at least in the US, so I doubt that is / will be the reason the VCS fails. Could they blame it on that to save face? Totally a possibility.

2 hours ago, bmadgames said:

With regard to 4, the pandemic has not really dampened spending on gaming, at least in the US,

Complete opposite, it is in high demand, everyone is buying and playing games.

Example: My company stock was $109 in the beginning of the year, now it is $175.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Complete opposite, it is in high demand, everyone is buying and playing games.

Example: My company stock was $109 in the beginning of the year, now it is $175.

Say CPUWIZ,

I was just curious which company you work for?  If you'd rather not say (Or want to PM me the info) that's cool too.  I follow some stocks, so I just wondered...

7 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Which is puzzling, because if you come out with a strong console and major software support, their stock should be a lot bigger now.

Even more damning, their one year return has been hovering around -30%. Investors are obviously less confident now than they were a year ago.

Unless you snapped up a bunch when it tanked a couple of months ago to .17, you're going to have a lot of ground to make up if you've held the stock for a while.

• Like 3

Since 2017 Nintendo has sold 60 million Switches, in that same time frame Atari has allegedly built 96 consoles and given 1 away to a young girl of the mom that is working on the Atari hotel... big asperations for this system, I am sure that all the devs are beating each other over the head to get a spot to make exclusives for the VCS. Why do I feel that this entire thing paired with Antstream is the 2020 modern version of Action 52 for the NES... all garbage. You are going to get what you pay for, or maybe not.
Just to satisfy the Atari rooters...

GOOD WORK ATARI! YOU REALLY NAILED THIS CONSOLE ON THE %^&*$ HEAD! Homerun hit right out of the stadium!
KUDOS!!! ????????????????

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, OCAT said:

and given 1 away to a young girl of the mom that is working on the Atari hotel...

It's not a girl, its a boy who has never spoken about the vcs again. I guess he got in trouble for searching moms mail :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Felt the need to post this since I'm probably >>>THIS<<< close to getting blocked by the official VCS Twitter.

https://twitter.com/TheAtari_VCS/status/1291092775996276737

Atari1.thumb.JPG.5295a57db69aeb77416487d2d1d094f7.JPG

Atari2.thumb.JPG.cd4414a8f8c34c81c233c7c882c68e8b.JPG

Wow... this guy just does.  Not.  Get.  It.  "Yeah, they have people's money and aren't delivering but... They wrote Medium articles, and I'm pretty sure one of them talks about it."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, OCAT said:

Since 2017 Nintendo has sold 60 million Switches, in that same time frame Atari has allegedly built 96 consoles and given 1 away to a young girl of the mom that is working on the Atari hotel... big asperations for this system, I am sure that all the devs are beating each other over the head to get a spot to make exclusives for the VCS. Why do I feel that this entire thing paired with Antstream is the 2020 modern version of Action 52 for the NES... all garbage. You are going to get what you pay for, or maybe not.
Just to satisfy the Atari rooters...

GOOD WORK ATARI! YOU REALLY NAILED THIS CONSOLE ON THE %^&*$ HEAD! Homerun hit right out of the stadium!
KUDOS!!! ????????????????

Action 52 was apparently developed in the space of three months, and it shows. Still, they got the thing to market.

Three years and counting for Atari, and they'd still appear to be nowhere near that.

• Like 2

Ok, what really gets me going is that all these new scammers come to Us, The People ?, and pitch some half (_|_) idea about a new game changer product that NO ONE asked for. Then they make all sorts of miraculous claims and promises and when the time comes to show off what they have... Nothing, they get defensive and blame their mother, brother, cat, dog everyone but themselves for the failure and shortcomings and why they missed the deadline that THEY set.
I am not just talking about the Amico, VCS and coleco chameleon. GM is guilty of this too with the Electric Hummer, They try to hype up everyone with having some basketball player say some crap that no one cares about and then they delay the unveiling. Pandemic is not going to stop people who can buy a $100K Electric SUV that will never go off road, from buying one, they dont have a finished product to show and C-19 was a good excuse to delay, just like Amico & VCS.

And just like VCS and Amico, GM gets a basketball player to feature in an ad for a technical product. The last person I want to take advice from is a basketball player on anything except buying shoes. Unless that basketball player is also a mechanical or electrical eng. please do STFU! I want details from someone in a lab coat with big glasses and a clipboard!. Atari listed Rob Wyatt as CO-Creator of X-box because they thought it would give them credit to the project. Amico did that crap as well with J Allard from microsoft. They just throw names around for clout. Please tell me where are these two eggheads now? both TOOLS are off of the projects, I cannot imagine how much money they paid them to "join the team" a few million is chump change so they bailed.

What ever happened to keeping your Fat mouth shut until you actually have made progress?
I would like to see a kickstarter like this "The ToastMaster 2000!, HERE IT IS!! all finished and ready to go! we just need backing so that we can order the large amount of raw material at a lower cost but the product is already designed, patented, tested and here is the FINAL consumer demo model packaging and all."

And what is the deal with trying to associate with "partners" and "history"? Hey, I can sell my crappy hand made cards at walmart.com so I guess Walmart is my exclusive partner now! You Hacks! You License out a game streaming service just like a T-shirt kiosks pay for an Atari License to print out T-shirts and Hats with Atari logos on them. There is no collaberation.

Neither Atari or Amico have the courage to break free and define themselves and a product, they bounce back and forth on nostalgia to try to sell a procuts with SHOVELWARE as games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1