IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

No worries Bill.

My presence is disruptive and that's not what I want to bring here.

I don't think it has been disruptive at all. Wow... there are plenty of other examples of disruptive on these forums, and you are not that. It is your choice what you can reveal and what you cannot (sometimes you cannot... mind your p's and q's as my mother would say... keeps one out of a lot of trouble). If some people are bothered by that, there is nothing you can do.

That said, I can understand if you are a bit tired of vitriol as Bill said and want to back away... go have some tacos and we will still be here.

• Like 4

Pretty sure hipster with the shit under his bottom lip is not in the know. I can randomly show up on any internet forum and profess to have insider knowledge, but not reveal anything because I am under an "NDA".

Funny - an NDA for a non-existent project. Wouldn't the double negatives of non(disclosure) and non(existent) cancel each other, and mean you should reveal info? See - just like from the real Atari, there is no information about an imaginary product to be revealed.

I'm rolling on the floor!

Am I the only one who refuses to believe the GAHI (Great Atari Hotel Incident) actually happened?

Are there some new drugs that could somehow persuade dozen people that -of all fucking places- the GDC is The One And Only event to present an empty box?

I simp!y cannot comprehend the alternative universe in which it makes any sense to pull off a stunt like that...

Am I the only one who refuses to believe the GAHI (Great Atari Hotel Incident) actually happened?

Are there some new drugs that could somehow persuade dozen people that -of all fucking places- the GDC is The One And Only event to present an empty box?

I simp!y cannot comprehend the alternative universe in which it makes any sense to pull off a stunt like that...

Atari themselves announced it, then watched it backfire spectacularly. If it wasn’t real, then Atari apparently staged their own demise.

It does fit the pattern, though. Coleco Chameloon has the NY Toyfair, PolyMega had SoCal RGE, now Atari has GDC. It seems trendy to pitch your vapor box at an event that’s big enough to be credible, but small enough where you can filter out unwanted attention from people who know what they’re talking about.

• Like 7

I have a copy of the Atari VCS FAQ the company sent to the press, which appears to be the basis of the tech specs and interview updates seen by several media outlets. I've got it shared from my Dropbox here. If someone with admin powers feels like hosting it, that's cool, but I couldn't find a way to upload it as an attachment.

• Like 4

I don't have admin powers, but I was able to attach it to this post.

I have a copy of the Atari VCS FAQ the company sent to the press, which appears to be the basis of the tech specs and interview updates seen by several media outlets. I've got it shared from my Dropbox here. If someone with admin powers feels like hosting it, that's cool, but I couldn't find a way to upload it as an attachment.

Edit: You have to hit "More Reply Options", then choose file and attach.

Atari VCS FAQ.pdf

• Like 3

What does it mean exactly that the Atari VCS is based on ‘PC Technology’? What is the operating system?

The Atari VCS is literally a PC for your TV where the screen is your main interface. Atari VCS has x86 PC architecture with a proprietary Linux OS that will allow for a flexible content mix and give customers access to interact with the whole internet. This means more games, media and streaming content, as well as communication with other PCs and the ability to fully customize the experience..

Is anyone else reminded of WebTV (and other, similar products from the mid-1990s)?

While I remain skeptical that it will ever be produced, I also wonder what the target market is -- beyond those people who just want something new with the Atari logo on it.

What exactly does it do that a decent laptop cannot do better/easier?

What does it mean exactly that the Atari VCS is based on ‘PC Technology’? What is the
operating system?

The Atari VCS is literally a PC for your TV where the screen is your main interface. Atari VCS has
x86 PC architecture with a proprietary Linux OS that will allow for a flexible content mix and
give customers access to interact with the whole internet. This means more games, media and
streaming content, as well as communication with other PCs and the ability to fully customize
the experience..

Didn't Gateway 2000 try this with their Destination PC in the 1990's and fail horribly? Convergence products. The industry hasn't gotten the formula right in the past 30 years - ever since someone made a pet project involving modems, computers, and TVs.

WebTV. CD32TV or whatever that Commodore thing was. Information appliances and the big screen simply do not mix.

• Like 3

What does it mean exactly that the Atari VCS is based on ‘PC Technology’? What is the
operating system?

The Atari VCS is literally a PC for your TV where the screen is your main interface. Atari VCS has
x86 PC architecture with a proprietary Linux OS that will allow for a flexible content mix and
give customers access to interact with the whole internet. This means more games, media and
streaming content, as well as communication with other PCs and the ability to fully customize
the experience..

I smell a boatload of limitations and subscriptions and all that happy horseshit. And we don't need more games. All of us have several lifetimes worth of games at our disposal. We're never going to play all that we have, even if you're still wet behind the ears - you won't!

• Like 6

Reading that FAQ.... um...

This is exactly what you would expect from a hobbyist trying to get his masturbatory dream project off the ground. I mean, this is "the mighty ATARI" peddling more vague concepts and nostalgic promises after all this time. If you have nothing to show then the best course of action is to not drop your pants at GDC and show nothing.

I understand the current company doesn't really have the resources to make this happen in an efficient and reasonable fashion, but if you're going to bullshit, don't be so mamma's-basement-amateur about it.

• Like 7

Here's the most idiotic part (from the above PDF):

What truly sets the Atari VCS aside from other retro gaming consoles?

It’s new and it’s from Atari

I'd like to think this was a joke, but there it is, in black and white. "It's new, and it's from Atari." Wow.

• Like 5