IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

51 minutes ago, Paul Slocum said:

I'm pretty certain that's not remotely possible.  From the tests on similar Ryzen boards, at best it's 720p@60fps and 1080p@30fps, and nothing playable at 4k.  The video they posted was shot at 25fps, and in that video the game was running without skipping frames, which ultimately doesn't mean much since you can't tell the resolution or graphics settings.

Agreed. I was going to go into more details but I thought my post was long enough as it was. :lol:

And here I've been feeling like my RX 590 is too limiting for me (because it is) - trying to play anything on the VCS would drive me crazy. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, TheVgaTv said:

The video from last year where they showed Borderlands 2 running was so bad that it looked like it was running at about 12 frames a second.  And that's from a then 7 year old game....

yepper, and I am quick to remind people, this is not a Ryzen desktop chip, nor is it a Ryzen APU, its embedded Ryzen, ultra low power that you bury in something you want to smartify like a information kiosk or a refrigerator 

• Like 4

From my limited research, the performance will be somewhat comparable to the Ryzen 2200U video below, which is about 720@30fps and 1080@60fps.  Can anyone confirm that this is a good comparison?  I think it's also possible that the performance is a little worse than this, which might be why Atari made it hard to determine the graphics settings in the video.  Even if the performance is only slightly worse than this either due to hardware limitations or immature drivers, then people wanting to do PC gaming probably aren't going to be very happy.

Edited by Paul Slocum

1 hour ago, Osgeld said:

yepper, and I am quick to remind people, this is not a Ryzen desktop chip, nor is it a Ryzen APU, its embedded Ryzen, ultra low power that you bury in something you want to smartify like a information kiosk or a refrigerator 

Looks like someone has done Fortnite on a smart fridge (granted a phone is involved, but still, but still....)

• Like 5

So Fridge Chesnais' touting the Taco flexibility of the VCS sandbox mode is taken right from the Sony playbook when they had the "Other OS" feature that they removed due to people buying up the systems to use for other uses (GASP!). I guess Sony took a heavy hit on the hardware when they realised no one was buying games for those systems (I do not believe that BS about hackers, they hack it anyway).

Interesting plan, to hope to sell the system on the Other OS feature, but then you are not locking in people to buy games from you.
How does Atari expect to make $$$ if everyone is using Other OS?, this directly bypasses the revenue stream, Atari should know Apple specifically got into the services because hardware is not where the money is at anymore.

Fridgenais, where does all this put you at? You have a system due to come out in 2 months, not 1 game studio has been announced, no real demo of the system has been shown (Windows does not count) and you have yet to advertise the system in any meaningful way.

Does anyone know if there is a Tax break incentive for using Linux when you sell a "computer" ?

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, OCAT said:

So Fridge Chesnais' touting the Taco flexibility of the VCS sandbox mode is taken right from the Sony playbook when they had the "Other OS" feature that they removed due to people buying up the systems to use for other uses (GASP!). I guess Sony took a heavy hit on the hardware when they realised no one was buying games for those systems (I do not believe that BS about hackers, they hack it anyway).

Interesting plan, to hope to sell the system on the Other OS feature, but then you are not locking in people to buy games from you.
How does Atari expect to make $$$ if everyone is using Other OS?, this directly bypasses the revenue stream, Atari should know Apple specifically got into the services because hardware is not where the money is at anymore.

Fridgenais, where does all this put you at? You have a system due to come out in 2 months, not 1 game studio has been announced, no real demo of the system has been shown (Windows does not count) and you have yet to advertise the system in any meaningful way.

Does anyone know if there is a Tax break incentive for using Linux when you sell a "computer" ?

They were not selling the hardware at a loss. So that's how. Plus while I bet it isn't a lot there will be some preorders too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OCAT said:

Part of the reason the PlayStation 3 was so expensive out of the gate was because it used a unique "cell" processor that was much better at certain kinds of computing tasks than the commodity computer CPUs of the day. Folding@home was included and some people were clustering PS3s together to take advantage of its strengths. It was similar to how bitcoin mining caused shortages for certain Nvidia GPUs for a while. 

I don't think the hacking aspect was purely BS; as I recall, the people who found the encryption keys to the PS3 system did so using the "other OS" feature, even though it was designed to restrict use of much of the PS3 hardware. Once that happens and people stop buying games (PSP and DS were hit this way too, as you point out) the golden goose is dead. Someone at Sony did the math and figured paying out a class action suit would hurt less than continued damage to their software sales. I don't think they minded all the hype that went along with scientists using PS3s as cheap computing clusters. 

PS3's advantage was surpassed by Intel and AMD soon enough, and the money is in selling games and services. 

Nobody knows exactly what Fred Chesnais is playing at by selling hardware without a software ecosystem anyone wants. Maybe he's just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks (VCS will not stick), or maybe he's just trying to fill out the company's portfolio to make it more attractive to people with money who don't check the details. 

I hate that I just wrote more about "Atari VCS" than its creators have at the biggest consumer electronics show of the year. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

^^^ Thanks for all the clarifications, but does anyone know if there is a reason anyone would rather sell the VCS as a computer rather than a game console?
Can Atari avoid Tarrif and taxes if they do sell it as a computer? And does it make a difference if it has Windows or Linux installed?

I remember Nintendo selling the R.O.B to get around the fact that retailers did not want another video game system at that time.

Edited by OCAT

On 12/22/2019 at 4:16 AM, carlsson said:

I already posted it on Facebook, but that promotional picture looks familiar.

atarivcs-spinnaker.jpg.523733f2bab7a089f4880f73808f9b46.jpg

You bought a gaming console to cultivate your kids' minds.

Make sure it's bearing fruit, not growing vegetables.

I somehow missed this one the first time, but as someone who remembers the old Spinnaker ads, this is my favorite Photoshop of all.