Jump to content
Goochman

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

 

WTH, man?  Dank memes are half the fun in this thread!

Wait he hasn't been looking at any of the memes?! More outrageous than not liking tacos!!!!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how soon an article like this will pop-up about the VCS.

 

Google Stadia adopters revolting as they realize that the "service" sucks 

 

"I'm not really excited because there simply doesn't seem to be anything to be excited about anymore."

 

https://www.businessinsider.com/google-stadia-early-adopters-giving-up-2020-1

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

I wonder how soon an article like this will pop-up about the VCS.

 

Google Stadia adopters revolting as they realize that the "service" sucks 

 

"I'm not really excited because there simply doesn't seem to be anything to be excited about anymore."

 

https://www.businessinsider.com/google-stadia-early-adopters-giving-up-2020-1

Can't believe I'm going to say this but I think the VCS will have better potential to last as long as the board isn't terrible. It will be as a PC only, but I could easily see the same thing being said in regards to it as a console.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Last" in the sense of boots up and doesn't catch on fire? 
 

or 

 

"last" in the sense of gets lots of software support and stays in the marketplace for a long time

 

(to say nothing of "last" as in last place in sales for Atari history, or "last" as in the final hardware thing they will ever attempt)

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Can't believe I'm going to say this but I think the VCS will have better potential to last as long as the board isn't terrible. It will be as a PC only, but I could easily see the same thing being said in regards to it as a console.

Perhaps, them having a physical device will be an advantage over what Stadia is. Although I really doubt that the board will be fully vetted. If Rob Wyatt's thing about Atari constantly doing everything to cut corners is true (very good chance that it is, if you know anything about how they treat their software developers and pull the same thing on every release), it's going to be a dumpster fire.

 

What interests me about Stadia's lightning fast fall, in comparing certain things about Atari SA/VCS:

 

1) Google and their vast resources can't get more 3rd parties on board

2) A lot of those initial feature promises didn't pan out, and because it hasn't been a success, they won't be fulfilling them (We already know of VCS features cut and scaled back; they also keep implying that certain games like Ms. Pac-Man will be on there when they won't be, since the VCS won't sell well enough to make it worth the effort/licensing)

3) Google isn't communicating with their own player base, which is always an indication that things aren't rosy behind the scenes

4) Latency issues are pretty bad (hello Antstream)

 

I know VCSers have fallen back on the whole "well, it's just going to be a nice cheap PC" (even though the initial promise of the Ataribox had absolutely nothing to do with being a PC, but a game console), but it'll be quite the show when things don't work like they should in Sandbox mode. Especially if bricked units due to incompatible or untested hardware start happening with frequency.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

I wonder how soon an article like this will pop-up about the VCS.

 

Google Stadia adopters revolting as they realize that the "service" sucks 

 

"I'm not really excited because there simply doesn't seem to be anything to be excited about anymore."

 

https://www.businessinsider.com/google-stadia-early-adopters-giving-up-2020-1

Honestly, probably never.  The Google Stadia had a degree of hype around it.  It's still a polarizing system.   Go to the Reddit page, and there are people who love it. There are plenty of other people who dislike it for some reason or another. 

 

If/when the Atari VCS launches, I think it will be like the release of Shen Mue 3.  The die hard fans will be ecstatic, it will be a top story for some gaming sites, but for most of the gaming world, it will be a collective yawn.   Stadia's downfall is interesting because Google is attached. 

 

If people are unhappy with a crowdfunded system that limped its it's way out to backers and was released by a relatively unknown group of people who bought an IP that was last popular when most gamers weren't even alive... well... that's not really news.  It's about as shocking as the latest 2K game being full of predatory microtransactions. 

 

I think the die hards will either be legitimately happy or won't voice their disappointment.   Those backers who are upset probably won't be a news story. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Agillig said:

I think the die hards will either be legitimately happy or won't voice their disappointment.   Those backers who are upset probably won't be a news story. 

 

2 hours ago, frankodragon said:

And then there are some backers who just want theirs to sit on a shelf and let it collect dust.  

I tend to agree that we won't see any massive revolt among the backersnot because I think "Atari" will live up to their promises, mind you, but because the backers' psychology seems to be such that their own determination to never "give us a win" will override all other considerations, even their own disappointment.  Late last year, I put it this way:

 

On 11/9/2019 at 9:41 PM, jaybird3rd said:

The most vocal of them have now gone from "investors" to "true believers."  Both financially and emotionally, they're heavily invested in the illusion of "that Ataribox?", especially after all this time digging in and making excuses and hurling ridicule at the "haters" and "nonbelievers."  If they were ever to reassess the past, too much would collapse, so they'll stubbornly resist and keep their heads in the sand no matter what happens.  "Atari" could ship them a carton of Ramen noodles with an apology scrawled on a Post-it-Note, and they'll never say a word about it, because they'd rather lose every penny than admit publicly that they were so spectacularly wrong, or that the "haters" were right all along.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When someone does a dissertation on the mentality of the backers of failed commercial ventures, this topic will be part of the source content 😜

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Agillig said:

This is amazing.   Might as well log off the internet for the rest of the day.  Nothing is going to top this. 

1000 internets to you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TankedThomas said:

B-but brie is one of my favourites! :_(

I'd send it to you but it would probably get stopped at customs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Perhaps, them having a physical device will be an advantage over what Stadia is. Although I really doubt that the board will be fully vetted. If Rob Wyatt's thing about Atari constantly doing everything to cut corners is true (very good chance that it is, if you know anything about how they treat their software developers and pull the same thing on every release), it's going to be a dumpster fire.

 

What interests me about Stadia's lightning fast fall, in comparing certain things about Atari SA/VCS:

 

1) Google and their vast resources can't get more 3rd parties on board

2) A lot of those initial feature promises didn't pan out, and because it hasn't been a success, they won't be fulfilling them (We already know of VCS features cut and scaled back; they also keep implying that certain games like Ms. Pac-Man will be on there when they won't be, since the VCS won't sell well enough to make it worth the effort/licensing)

3) Google isn't communicating with their own player base, which is always an indication that things aren't rosy behind the scenes

4) Latency issues are pretty bad (hello Antstream)

 

I know VCSers have fallen back on the whole "well, it's just going to be a nice cheap PC" (even though the initial promise of the Ataribox had absolutely nothing to do with being a PC, but a game console), but it'll be quite the show when things don't work like they should in Sandbox mode. Especially if bricked units due to incompatible or untested hardware start happening with frequency.

 

 

Also worth noting is that the Stadia app has been downloaded 175,000 times.  So even if you assume that someone who bought a Stadia downloaded it twice, that's still 87.5k consoles out there.  This is roughly 8 times what the VCS has.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheVgaTv said:

Also worth noting is that the Stadia app has been downloaded 175,000 times.  So even if you assume that someone who bought a Stadia downloaded it twice, that's still 87.5k consoles out there.  This is roughly 8 times what the VCS has.

VCS has nothing. Where are those Stadia numbers from, is that just from a single source, like Google Play on Android? That seems very low for such a high-profile service, especially if you can try it for free and use multiple kinds of software clients. The real metric is subscribers, especially those that stick with it. If they were impressive, surely they'd be bragging about it. 
 

I want to hear more from "Atari" how cloud gaming being hardware agnostic somehow "validates their approach." 😂😂😂🌮

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TankedThomas said:

B-but brie is one of my favourites! :_(

You probably could order some from Wisconsin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Wait they are after my kind now? (Please don't stab me in the face).

Worse.  It looks like you're banned from their forums 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

It sounds like the Sradia numbers went up:

 

175,000 in the first fortnight.  Over 550,000 as of Jan 15th.  The IOS app only allows account access and not streaming, so the numbers may still be inflated.

 

 

550k? If MS, Sony, or Nintendo had a first month like that, people would be fired the next month, and their gaming divisions would be a distant memory in 6 months...

 

And this is telling...Destiny 2 is the one free game on Stadia.

Annotation 2020-01-21 134249.png

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think one of the problems with Stadia, is the perception that Google will simply abandon it as they have so many other projects.

 

The other problem is that people are getting it confused with Stevia. I keep looking for it in the grocery store next to Splenda.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hm.. I could swear on reading about another manufacturer with an upcoming console, who is likely to abandon/license it out to another party as soon as it has been launched. Can't remember which one that would be though.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...