Jump to content
Goochman

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Paul Slocum said:

Backers can now rest easy because Atari has officially confirmed that the Atari VCS has passed the threshold of being "more of a when than an if".  Also good to know that at least somebody is having fun playing a VCS even if it's not me or a reputable journalist.

 

1261488989_Screenshot2020-06-1514_15_41.thumb.png.fdf6e63ea3de185ac67007095a999620.png

 

That's dangerous, sounds like an admission that it might not have happened after all! It still might not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2020 at 2:50 PM, OCAT said:


Imagine in the future someone buying the molds for this and trying to make another game system out of it?

Atari Age. Could call it the Ataribox and use it to play atari games. Innovative!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something just hit me, even if this actually ends up in stores, there can be no demos because of the plague. The only way they can demo the units is to hire kids like they do for Nintendo products, then they would have to wipe down the controller after each use & make sure people stay 6" apart, so no crowds.
Also since Atari has a policy of not paying people (Allegedly) these young people will get stiffed in the end.

The only upside to this is that since the Amico can use any smartphone as a controller, they CAN demo the units as long as people can download the App via wifi or cellular data. Perhaps Amico can make custom demo software that will auto connect to phones after a 3 minute demo is over, this way everyone in the line can try.

And I honestly do not see this happening because stores are trying to AVOID anything that might create a situation where crowds will amass.
My local grocery store use to have 1 or 2 day No Tax sales, now it has changed to ALL WEEK!, they do not want to have people rush in on 2 days.


Hmm, who wants to pre-order from Walmart? Ships in 165 days (NOV 27) in store by December 3rd.
----------------------------------------------
The Atari VCS Carbon Gold 800 - All In package includes the Walmart exclusive Carbon Gold colorway, as well as the Classic Joystick and Modern Controller. The 800 comes with 8GB RAM that is fully upgradeable. Users will experience an ever-expanding Atari world of all-new games, classic and remastered favorites, streaming multimedia and personal apps; or can easily make their own. The powerful AMD Ryzen processor featuring Radeon Graphics Technology can handle it all, including 4K HDR streaming, while the all-new Atari Classic Joystick and Atari Modern Controller make everything easy and fun.
ATARI OS (Linux Based)
ATARI SANDBOX PC MODE
AMD Ryzen Processor featuring Radeon Graphics Technology
Compatible with most PC peripherals
Customizable Experience
Every Atari VCS includes the Atari Vault - featuring over 100 home and arcade classics in their original arcade and 2600 formats ready to play!
Specifications
Brand
Atari
Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H)
13.00 x 14.00 x 4.00 Inches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ If this is true, and they do deliver to new orders before the backers, then I could see some die hard fans getting very angry.
I mean Thor level angry after Thanos snapped all his friends away....

BRING ME TACOS!!!!! 🌮🌮🌮 🗲🪓🗲

Edited by OCAT
(added more Tacos, cuz 1 is never enough)
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chopsus said:

Those pre-orders are new money ... they may see theirs before backers 10,000 units

Let's hope Atari has the money to build those backer units.  That's not always the case with these crowd funded projects. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Curt Vendel said:

FYI...

 

Hyperkin filed motion for summary Judgement on June 1st.

 

Atari responded with opposition on June 15th

 

i know what’s in the June 1st filing, anyone with Pacer access that can download and post Atari’s June 15th opposition response?

 

https://www.pacermonitor.com/case/26837088/Atari_Interactive,_Inc_v_Hyperkin_Inc

It blows my mind that, for all the shady things Hyperkin has done, the one thing that lands them in court is the project they did totally legit.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Curt Vendel said:

FYI...

 

Hyperkin filed motion for summary Judgement on June 1st.

 

Atari responded with opposition on June 15th

 

i know what’s in the June 1st filing, anyone with Pacer access that can download and post Atari’s June 15th opposition response?

 

https://www.pacermonitor.com/case/26837088/Atari_Interactive,_Inc_v_Hyperkin_Inc

Is this what you were talking about, Curt?

7bfac87a-aaaa-42ed-b2dd-3c19436f4084.pdf

  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

Is this what you were talking about, Curt?

7bfac87a-aaaa-42ed-b2dd-3c19436f4084.pdf 747.56 kB · 5 downloads


Granted I am no lawyer, but I am not sure Atari has much of case here.

Atari can talk about iconic video game images and how the Atari brand began the billion dollar a year home gaming industry, but the simple fact is they have not actually manufactured any 2600 hardware themselves (including the Atari joystick) for 30-35 years. So I am thinking it would be a challenge to make a case showing how Hyperkin is stealing business from them, or the possibility of product confusion with original 2600 joysticks.

Again not an expert, but 'They are making something obviously inspired by something we quit making over three decades ago' is not a strong legal case.

I would be surprised if Atari pulls a win out of this one. For a company that now derives most of their income though various lawsuits, they do not seem to be doing well in court recently at all.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suing is just a waste of time..and money.  It'll take years for Atari to start and go through lawsuits with all the sellers with similar controllers such as on Aliexpress.

 

image.thumb.png.d9b6b83e4589640771e20cd57eab6761.png

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, digdugnate said:

Is this what you were talking about, Curt?

7bfac87a-aaaa-42ed-b2dd-3c19436f4084.pdf 747.56 kB · 7 downloads

Yes... thanks...

 

so it looks like Atari is giving up on the console fight and is solely focusing on the joystick.  Which is a really bad move on their part for the simple fact:

 

I got a direct release of fair use from Ataris head of legal that they couldn’t stop me from making my USB Classics.  My joysticks actually look far more authentic to the old 78 cx40’s than Hyperkins.

 
I pointed Atari to the post right here on Atariage and announced the sale of the joysticks which got picked up by PC World, MacWorld and dozens of other major sites, plus it was also Slashdotted which for video game & computer geeks is like being on the front page of The NY Times...

 

Atari has known full well about my joysticks for over 10 years.  They’ve been sold on Thinkgeek, Thumbsup UK, Amazon, Reflex Audio sold a special edition clear version I made...  Ataris lack of action since 2008 to now completely destroyed any standing that they somehow still can enforce being the only ones to sell a CX40 type stick.  So they’ve already lost the case.

 

 

  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point, I think Atari is grasping at straws for any potential revenue stream to settle legal issues with Tin Giant. I'm pretty sure a default judgement will be forthcoming in favor of Tin Giant. I'd be willing to bet Tin Giant will put a lien on Atari assets. I don't even think Atari will be allowed to sell their joysticks, let alone their Atari Vaporous Console (tm) until their own legal issues are resolved.

 

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/17040305/tin-giant-llc-v-atari-gamebox-llc/

Edited by gbennett0321
typo
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ I also suspect this. Dirty way to cash out and disrespect Atari backers and steal the money. Sort of like giving away all your money to family the day before the Feds come to shut you down and take away everything ill gotten.
With only 500 units these will be valuable on the Ebay market to collectors.
Now Atari can sell off the rights to the unreleased system and directly benefit as well, sort of like a value added to the sale of Atari.

After the saw the Ray tracing capabilities of the PS5 they knew it was game over for thier little dinky system that drops frame rates on 10 year old titles.
(Allegedly)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, gbennett0321 said:

At this point, I think Atari is grasping at straws

Oh just now? Being years late to the nostalgia and bitcoin fad isn't enough straw grasping?

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ HEY! be nice, let Atari grasp at straws now, becuase where I live they had plans to ban straws and plastic utensils/plates but now because of the Plague Restaraunts are actually replacing glass plates,glasses everything else with pasper/plastic. It is going to be weird going into a 5 Star joint and getting served Fillet Mignon on some Royal Chinet! xD Give me Dixie or don't! At last all you rich people will eat like me, Tacos and Salsa on a cheap paper plate 0.5 microns thick, then toss out. Take that you Whale kissing Tree hugging moon maidens! :D

At least Atari can claim a diverse portfolio;
Lawsuits,
We dont pay out employees,
Lawsuits
Bitcoins,
Lawsuits
Hotels,
Haute Couture 👒👕 (Atari Hats & T-shirts)
Oh and Lawsuits

(Allegedly)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OCAT said:

^ I also suspect this. Dirty way to cash out and disrespect Atari backers and steal the money. Sort of like giving away all your money to family the day before the Feds come to shut you down and take away everything ill gotten.
With only 500 units these will be valuable on the Ebay market to collectors.
Now Atari can sell off the rights to the unreleased system and directly benefit as well, sort of like a value added to the sale of Atari.

After the saw the Ray tracing capabilities of the PS5 they knew it was game over for thier little dinky system that drops frame rates on 10 year old titles.
(Allegedly)

Yes if anyone lists an actual new box on eBay the new iteration of Atari may get ideas of how to bilk more money out of loyal Atari diehards 😢

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not trying to defend Atari, but I think folks are going off the deep end here. There is 0 evidence that Atari is folding on the project because of the lawsuit, but now everyone has gone down the conspiracy theory route that they sneakily gave 500 of their friends consoles before screwing everyone else. I'm not defending Atari's handling, but it seems a bit overboard.

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bmadgames said:

I'm not trying to defend Atari, but I think folks are going off the deep end here. There is 0 evidence that Atari is folding on the project because of the lawsuit, but now everyone has gone down the conspiracy theory route that they sneakily gave 500 of their friends consoles before screwing everyone else. I'm not defending Atari's handling, but it seems a bit overboard.

I agree.

 

While I think this new version of "Atari" is both pitiful and awful at the same time,  I do think they'll release *something*.

 

For me, it was over the moment they decided to call this abomination "The VCS".  Add in the fact they are lawsuit happy while simultaneously not paying their employees (allegedly), which is reprehensible and, ...Well,  I've never wanted something to fail so hard in my life!

 

IMO,  if Atari were smart,  they'd compose a new update about problems with software and development, about unseen market forces and plague, and then bow out gracefully, but not before sending every one of their backers a shiny new Amico.   That would be the most win-win scenario I could realistically imagine.  The backers would get a much better conceived console, that would likely be supported;  Atari would actually make money off the venture, and the name "VCS" would not get dragged through the mud.

 

But I'm probably just a dreamer...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bmadgames said:

I'm not trying to defend Atari, but I think folks are going off the deep end here. There is 0 evidence that Atari is folding on the project because of the lawsuit, but now everyone has gone down the conspiracy theory route that they sneakily gave 500 of their friends consoles before screwing everyone else. I'm not defending Atari's handling, but it seems a bit overboard.

Atari claimed they were making 500 consoles but needed so many for their developers and industry partners that they couldn't send any to backers, and yet they haven't announced a single "developer" other than Antstream!  For a long time they kept claiming they had a bunch of developers that they were about to announce, but now they won't even confirm that Tempest 4000 is still coming to the console.  There's just no way they need to send hundreds of consoles to mystery industry partners instead of backers.  Especially when it's literally just an x86 PC running Debian.

 

And it's not just the lawsuit, it's that they keep using language that makes it sound like they might not even complete the project this year.  Plus the fact that no other computer company is able to build a computer like they're building for nearly as cheap.  I'm in the market for a computer like that and I can't find a pre-built computer anywhere that's remotely comparable in price and power.  There are a number of companies building single board Ryzen computers that are almost identical to the computer Atari is building.  If it's somehow magically possible to build the same thing in low quantities and sell them for $150 less than all the competition, then Atari would have very thin margins and can't afford any unexpected expenses or inefficiencies, such as multiple lawsuits, delays, and changing engineering teams.  There are a lot of indications that this project may be truly falling apart.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Paul Slocum said:

Atari claimed they were making 500 consoles but needed so many for their developers and industry partners that they couldn't send any to backers, and yet they haven't announced a single "developer" other than Antstream!  For a long time they kept claiming they had a bunch of developers that they were about to announce, but now they won't even confirm that Tempest 4000 is still coming to the console.  There's just no way they need to send hundreds of consoles to mystery industry partners instead of backers.  Especially when it's literally just an x86 PC running Debian.

 

And it's not just the lawsuit, it's that they keep using language that makes it sound like they might not even complete the project this year.  Plus the fact that no other computer company is able to build a computer like they're building for nearly as cheap.  I'm in the market for a computer like that and I can't find a pre-built computer anywhere that's remotely comparable in price and power.  There are a number of companies building single board Ryzen computers that are almost identical to the computer Atari is building.  If it's somehow magically possible to build the same thing in low quantities and sell them for $150 less than all the competition, then Atari would have very thin margins and can't afford any unexpected expenses or inefficiencies, such as multiple lawsuits, delays, and changing engineering teams.  There are a lot of indications that this project may be truly falling apart.

Good points, and why use language like “rescue mission for the VCS tests units stranded in NYC” ????

 

I’ve not followed this debacle as closely as some have, but one can tell it doesn’t even come close to passing the smell test. A few units are/will be produced and they will end up in a few collections. Nothing more...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Plus the fact that no other computer company is able to build a computer like they're building for nearly as cheap




Old saying "if it is too good to be true..."

This is a red flag. IF this was Sony, Nintendo or Xbox, (Also Apple) then it would be ok because they make the money from the software and services, but for a hardware maker this is a dead end. Atari has nothing to offer except a $9.99 buffet subscription service, and most of that is going to Antstream.
So where does that leave Atari? there is no way Atari can make this on the cheap and still come out on top. The lack of confidence in this porta-potty console
means there is no way Atari is willing to invest any capital even in the short term. This thing will be dead as soon there is any Red, this will end at production.
I can understand a small run to make sure everything is OK before the 10,000+ units go into full swing, but something just seems "off" here.

The only oversight over Atari is Indiegogo, and we all know they want thier $$$ so they are just as skummy, it is all just an act, like Police investigating Police.
Cheeseguy is suffering from what I like to call "Inherited Hubris" , Our friend Mike KEnnedy suffered from the same affliction as soon as he had those Jaguar shells in his greasy paws.

(Allegedly)

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bmadgames said:

I'm not trying to defend Atari, but I think folks are going off the deep end here. There is 0 evidence that Atari is folding on the project because of the lawsuit, but now everyone has gone down the conspiracy theory route that they sneakily gave 500 of their friends consoles before screwing everyone else. I'm not defending Atari's handling, but it seems a bit overboard.

I'm not going to go so far as to say it's an expensive parting gift for their buddies... but it's definitely crooked.

 

Atari, in their own words, is NOT shipping the 500* to customers.  So who are they going to?  Developers?  Okay... which ones?  And if they aren't going to developers, who are they going to?  
 

I don't think the 500 are going to "friends".  My thoughts are that they're going to 499 potential buyers for Atari.  Atari still hasn't given up the dream of being bought out... mostly because it's the only out they still have available to them.  And at this point, Atari is shopping the project from companies as big as Wal-Mart to as small as Larry's Sandwiches and Air Conditioner Repair.
 

If Atari actually shipped some units to backers, then they'd have a veneer of credibility in trying to deliver.  As it stands now, though, they built 500 units with the stated purpose of giving them to everyone EXCEPT the people who rightfully paid for them.  There's no positive way to spin that.

 

*I'm taking Atari's claim of 500 at face value.  I remind us all, we only know of the existence of six units... the ones in the factory photos.  The possibility exists those are the only Boxes that have ever, or will ever, be made.

Edited by godslabrat
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...