Jump to content
Goochman

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Recommended Posts

It's unlikely Missile Command: Recharged would do anything different on the VCS since it's already available on more powerful platforms and is meant as a basic budget game (not a slight to the quality of the game itself, which has been well-received). I agree that in this case "optimized" most likely means works with the available controls and has UI-specific elements for the VCS. It shouldn't be demanding enough to stress the hardware, so "optimized" could mean runs smoothly, unlike some of the more traditional games might struggle with framerate-wise.

I also don't get the comment a few posts back about about the Amico. They've literally shown several exclusive games and a whole lot more. The VCS has no exclusives that anyone knows about at this point, and they've shown very little overall after fixing the typos on their early menu preview.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, RedWolfJC said:

Was there an announcement that I missed?

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/07/01/ataris-new-console-the-vcs-launches-this-fall

 

"The Atari VCS, the console/PC hybrid from the legendary game company, is finally releasing this fall. Atari VCS backer units for those who supported the system's Indiegogo campaign will ship by October, while all subsequent pre-orders and retail units will arrive holiday 2020."

Yes, this was announced a few days ago via press release... Not in 2018 as an earlier poster commented. Not sure where they got that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I also don't get the comment a few posts back about about the Amico. They've literally shown several exclusive games and a whole lot more.  The VCS has no exclusives that anyone knows about at this point

Amico has rights to make their own exclusive versions of Atari's 12 most valuable retrogaming IPs (Centipede, Missile Command, Yars' Revenge, etc.).  I'm still pondering how that happened.  I asked Tommy on this thread a while back and he said "Let's just say that Fred owed me a big favor".

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OCAT said:

I eat my words about Atari not being able to attract Developers to make games :(
"I am learning to make games"
I expect AAA quality games from Knickerbockers Studios.. or N.S for short :D

For whatever it's worth, I don't think it's fair to disparage these independent developers.  They may be small, but we've seen plenty of instances where individuals and small independent publishers, even those just starting out, have produced high-quality games.  For evidence of that, one need look no further than the homebrew programmers right here on AtariAge, or publishers like Songbird Productions.  All that matters is whether the games are good, and whether they and the platform make sense as an overall value proposition.

 

40 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I also don't get the comment a few posts back about the Amico. They've literally shown several exclusive games and a whole lot more. The VCS has no exclusives that anyone knows about at this point, and they've shown very little overall after fixing the typos on their early menu preview.

I'm also perplexed by the continuing comparisons to the Amico.  The Amico and the VCS are both video game consoles, but that's about where the comparison ends: the business model, the target audience, and just about everything else about them are very different.  The Atari VCS also started at least a year earlier than the Amico, and as you say, the Amico has had much more to show in that time.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, bmadgames said:

Yes, this was announced a few days ago via press release... Not in 2018 as an earlier poster commented. Not sure where they got that.

I think that was more of them saying "Yeah we've heard this one before", and wasn't supposed to be taken literally.

 

I guess I missed it then.  I find it strange how they wouldn't have a press release like that front and center on the IGG page?

The only thing I see on IGG that is close to mentioning the October timeline is this:

"That means that after traveling by sea, the first shipments to backers will finally arrive this fall. More specific delivery dates and details will come as soon as practicable."

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bmadgames said:

but I think anything is a win

 

And that pretty much says it all.

 

If someone is excited about a mobile title that will be seven months old at the time of the VCS's probable release, good for them I guess. Tempest 4000 is going on two years old, and people are still asking about it as well.

 

This kind of news may be encouraging for those desperate for encouragement, but it's really just confirming the irrelevance of the console.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jaybird3rd said:

I'm also perplexed by the continuing comparisons to the Amico.  The Amico and the VCS are both video game consoles, but that's about where the comparison ends: the business model, the target audience, and just about everything else about them are very different.  The Atari VCS also started at least a year earlier than the Amico, and as you say, the Amico has had much more to show in that time.

I think in an ideal world, the VCS would have gone the same route as the Amico and it would be a legitimate comparison. As it is now, and as I've stated before, the VCS is seemingly going after an even smaller niche than the Amico with very little to make it appealing to all but logo super fans.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jaybird3rd said:

I'm also perplexed by the continuing comparisons to the Amico.  The Amico and the VCS are both video game consoles, but that's about where the comparison ends

They both seem to have problems retaining their system architect...

 

(allegedly)

 

 

 

;)

Edited by RedWolfJC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RedWolfJC said:

They both seem to have problems retaining their system architect...

 

(allegedly)

 

;)

Not to derail the topic, but how do you reach that conclusion from that job listing?  The job description states that the candidate will be "working with the lead firmware and hardware engineers" and will "report to the lead firmware engineer," so clearly their lead engineers haven't left.  (Some have concluded from this listing that the Amico hardware/firmware must be unfinished, but I think that's an unwarranted conclusion also.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RedWolfJC said:

I think that was more of them saying "Yeah we've heard this one before", and wasn't supposed to be taken literally.

 

I guess I missed it then.  I find it strange how they wouldn't have a press release like that front and center on the IGG page?

The only thing I see on IGG that is close to mentioning the October timeline is this:

"That means that after traveling by sea, the first shipments to backers will finally arrive this fall. More specific delivery dates and details will come as soon as practicable."

 

Thank you, I would be happy to clarify.

 

I don't see anything released today that contains meaningful news.  As far as I'm concerned, Atari has been spinning the same two paragraphs of misinformation all year long.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RedWolfJC said:

They both seem to have problems retaining their system architect...

 

(allegedly)

I've been contacted by recruiters about similar job listings of theirs last year.  That is definitely not a system architect job, and they've been listing jobs like that off and on for a long time, which is pretty normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

Thank you, I would be happy to clarify.

 

I don't see anything released today that contains meaningful news.  As far as I'm concerned, Atari has been spinning the same two paragraphs of misinformation all year long.

The formal commitment to "shipping to IndiGoGo backers by October" is new information from the GameInformer article, at least from my view. But it is largely the same information that has been out since the release of the test units from the manufacturer earlier this year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry folks that was just a joke based on Pat and Ian's "sky is falling" video today.

I thought the winky face would give it away. :)  

2 minutes ago, Paul Slocum said:

I've been contacted by recruiters about similar job listings of theirs last year.  That is definitely not a system architect job, and they've been listing jobs like that off and on for a long time, which is pretty normal.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

The formal commitment to "shipping to IndiGoGo backers by October" is new information from the GameInformer article, at least from my view. But it is largely the same information that has been out since the release of the test units from the manufacturer earlier this year.  

Yeah after some digging, I found the most recent press release here: https://www.atari-investisseurs.fr/en/press-releases/

But that only says Fall 2020.  Nothing about October.

No idea where Game Informer would have gotten "October" unless they know more than is public?

Of course they could just be assuming/guessing October because "Fall"

 

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jaybird3rd said:

For whatever it's worth, I don't think it's fair to disparage these independent developers.  They may be small, but we've seen plenty of instances where individuals and small independent publishers, even those just starting out, have produced high-quality games.  For evidence of that, one need look no further than the homebrew programmers right here on AtariAge, or publishers like Songbird Productions.  All that matters is whether the games are good, and whether they and the platform make sense as an overall value proposition.

That is what toxic fanboys do.  Disparage anyone who gets affiliated with something that they don't support or agree with.  It's all collateral damage to them.  These indie devs are homebrewers who have have managed to turn their love and passion for this hobby into a job that they get paid for and then reinvest again those profits into this to produce more new games for us.  It isn't fair to hurt them by making them enemy by proxy of your disdain even if you don't agree what that this new company that owns the Atari label is doing now.   Peace.

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

That is what toxic fanboys do.  Disparage anyone who gets affiliated with something that they don't support or agree with...

^ Nice try but I did not imply that all small indie devs cannot put out great games, It is in the name of NickerBockers studios "I am learning to make games"

Remember what Steve Jobs said " We have lots of serious developers who don’t want their quality Apps to be surrounded by amateur hour."
Atari VCS customers are paying good money for a product and do not want reworked Android games from 10 years ago on a console they paid 3 years & $400 for.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, OCAT said:

^ Nice try but I did not imply that all small indie devs cannot put out great games, It is in the name of NickerBockers studios "I am learning to make games"

Remember what Steve Jobs said " We have lots of serious developers who don’t want their quality Apps to be surrounded by amateur hour."
Atari VCS customers are paying good money for a product and do not want reworked Android games from 10 years ago on a console they paid 3 years & $400 for.

There you again with disparaging indie devs.  You say you mean one thing but you actual words you spoke speaks for themselves.  The use of "serious developers who don’t want their quality Apps to be surrounded by amateur hour" seems to imply unless it is big corporation you don't think it can count as a profession quality product.

 

Then you swing back to hate of the dev by proxy of your disdain for this new Atari and new console because they are affiliated with company you consider to be a sham since it hasn't released in 3 years and for a product that you feel is overpriced.

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mockduck said:

The formal commitment to "shipping to IndiGoGo backers by October" is new information from the GameInformer article, at least from my view. But it is largely the same information that has been out since the release of the test units from the manufacturer earlier this year.  

I disagree.  Atari saying they'll ship their product in the future is absolutely nothing new at all.  Saying they'll ship something is what they do.  Actually shipping it is another story entirely, and I'm happy to return to this conversation with you in October, if that's not how you see it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

There you again with disparaging indie devs.  You say you mean one thing but you actual words you spoke speaks for themselves.  The use of "serious developers who don’t want their quality Apps to be surrounded by amateur hour" seems to imply unless it is big corporation you don't think it can count as a profession quality product.

 

Then you swing back to hate of the dev by proxy of your disdain for this new Atari and new console because they are affiliated with company you consider to be a sham since it hasn't released in 3 years and for a product that you feel is overpriced.

You got me on the "Sham". Yes I do think Atari in this current iteration IS a sham. Fred's behavior speaks volumes about his company's mission statement. To make money at ANY cost, for himself.

Edit:

Im going to add an "Allegedly" so that Atari will not sue me for Libel, since this is included in their mission statement

(Allegedly) :D

Edited by OCAT
Added "Allegedly" so Atari will not sue me
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No exclusive games makes complete sense if you believe no one at Infogrames thinks this will actually be a viable platform. Developing content for something destined to be extremely niche is just throwing good money after bad. Realistically speaking, this isn't going to push more than six digits and even 100,000 units is likely a tall order. You'd need a great attach rate to make native software financially viable. That's why they've put focus on the sandbox mode and game streaming. They provide games without committing to their own ecosystem. 

 

Yes, games sell hardware. But does Infogrames have the games that would? Do they have the money to make games that could? This is not a company releasing AAA blockbusters on the other consoles. Another janky RollerCoaster Tycoon isn't going to be a system seller.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tidus79001 said:

That is what toxic fanboys do.  Disparage anyone who gets affiliated with something that they don't support or agree with.  It's all collateral damage to them.  These indie devs are homebrewers who have have managed to turn their love and passion for this hobby into a job that they get paid for and then reinvest again those profits into this to produce more new games for us.  It isn't fair to hurt them by making them enemy by proxy of your disdain even if you don't agree what that this new company that owns the Atari label is doing now.   Peace.

 

I love homebrewers and indie developers and am honored to count quite a few as friends.

 

But I'm not going to get excited that a $2.99, already available mobile game is going to be a launch title on Atari's $300 PC/console hybrid. I'm also not going to get heated over a guy learning to make games. Great for Adam Nickerson, but that isn't a system draw. These are typically the games that clog a console's eShop.

 

I'm not a fanboy, I'm a consumer. But even if I was a rabid homer for Atari SA, their mishandling and dishonesty with the project would've turned me off. If I was a completely neutral consumer, they've done nothing and shown nothing that would convince me to waste money on it. Take off your Atari-colored glasses, and ask why little Tommy is going to ask for a VCS for Christmas. What can he play on this that he can't play on his PlayStation, Xbox, Switch, PC, or phone? That is why this thing is already a failure, regardless of its release date. Gamers want to play games, not spend money to revive dead brands they never had a connection to anyway.

 

As someone with a distaste for Chesnais' brand of sleaze, I'm just enjoying the floundering.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2020 at 11:02 AM, godslabrat said:

To be fair... if you can manage to lose money selling pieces of paper for six digits each, your company isn't long for this world.

And yet somehow they're still here. I juist don't get it..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been a long day, let me see if I can process this:

 

1) Unspecified release date of the system, 4 months away.  I seem to think we've seen this before. 

 

2) Piece of software was unannounced that the original developer may or may not actually be aware of (Tempest 4K anyone), and isn't what most people would call a killer app?

 

Yeah, it's the beginning of a new quarter alright.   Time to remind people you have a product, you know, in case anyone wants to buy your company (hint, hint).

 

No disrespect to the makers of the Missile Command game.   I can't make a video game, and maybe this one is quite fun.  If I'm buying a new console, this wouldn't be a justification. 

 

Supporters are happy, and I guess they're getting closer to the finish line.  But I have to imagine most aren't going to think the race was worth the prize.

Edited by Agillig
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Agillig said:

Supporters are happy, and I guess they're getting closer to the finish line.  But I have to imagine most aren't going to think the race was worth the prize.

 

It's like a mirage. Like the ones delirious marathoners see. It's there and then it's not. Then it moves off into the distance or disappears when you think you're getting close.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, frankodragon said:

image.thumb.png.8a2eafd32148f9b1b375c6baf754cdb4.png

 

The "internet connection is required" is a complete turnoff.  And even worse if it has to be online to play offline games. 

 

 

 

Absolutely right. I avoid that stuff like the plague. I don't care if it's a billion dollar quad-AAAA++++ title with 16K graphics and a 10.6 dolby atmos THX supa'surround sound system.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...