IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

16 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

"It is with heavy hearts that we inform our backers we are no longer supporting the Mom-Netflix group"

I demand a refund now. How can I possibly game, stream and connect without Netflix?!?!

• Like 3

Wow! Just saw the Atari VCS email today that they are guaranteeing delivery before before Dec 24th for pre-orders (not to be confused with Indiegogo orders that will ship in October).  This is a huge announcement since that they are pinning down delivery to be in time for a Christmas for the launch of the console.

image.thumb.png.b65ec400bb8b0bf884a39d2b724282db.png

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Tidus79001 said:

Wow! Just saw the Atari VCS email today that they are guaranteeing delivery before before Dec 24th for pre-orders (not to be confused with Indiegogo orders that will ship in October).  This is a huge announcement since that they are pinning down delivery to be in time for a Christmas for the launch of the console.

Perhaps I'm being a tad skeptical, but I don't see a year on there. . . like guaranteed delivery before December 24, 2072?

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

59 minutes ago, Tidus79001 said:

I would probably have a bit more confidence in this guarantee, if only Atari had not missed three shipping dates already.

Plus if I recall correctly the pre-order people are pretty far down the Atari Box fulfillment list. It would be almost as quick to wait for Walmart or Gamestop to stock them and pick one up from them.

It certainly would be a lot cheaper as well as you would not be shelling out the cash upfront and then be waiting on Atari to decide if and when they will deliver. So waiting for physical stock to be available from stores would reduce a lot of the risk involved as well.

As a year and a half behind schedule and just 96 units produced, with another 11,000 or so still needed does not instill a lot of confidence. I would be willing to bet big that if Atari does not find an investor using the 96 units they are passing around right now, they will just walk away. I expect they will remind everyone who backed the Indiegogo project that they were 'investing in a vision, not buying a product'.

I expect between the additional year and a half of operation costs and Corona driving up component prices; they do not have the money needed to build the backer units.

I would say these 'dev kit' units being produced are Atari's Hail Mary play; desperately hoping to find a  ̶s̶u̶c̶k̶e̶r̶ investor so blinded by the Atari name they overlook the last few years of  ̶f̶l̶a̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶d̶u̶m̶p̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶e̶s̶ setbacks attached to Atari and to the Atari Box project.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

yea just like last Christmas!

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

When the word "guarantee" comes

up, always,  ALWAYS ask yourself... what is the penalty for the company if the guarantee is not kept?

If Atari does not ship by December 24, do they get to keep the money they've been given?  Are they obligated to provide refunds?  Are they prevented from selling even more consoles?

The answers to the above will indicate exactly what this "guarantee" is worth.

• Like 7

At this point in the game, guaranteed means nothing to new Atari other than guaranteed to deplete your bank account. I would not pre order(make a donation in my book) anything from them. I still say 96, and this is IF they actually made 96, is all that will ever be made and will wind up on eBay.

Edited by MarioMan88
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, frankodragon said:

Oh dear.  That's not good to hear:

image.thumb.png.1d9d2bb80003f1759126799298867998.png

That is a miss, but I can see an aftermarket for replacement, particularly for the classic style stick. I figure the modern style can be replaced by any Bluetooth compatible controller, including the newer Xbox One controllers.

Edited by The Historian
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Historian said:

That is a miss, but I can see an aftermarket for replacement, particularly for the classic style stick. I figure the modern style can be replaced by any Bluetooth compatible controller, including the newer Xbox One controllers.

Yeah, I mean technically I bet Sony also says that their PS3 controllers do not have user replaceable batteries,  but I replaced mine.  Though the first one ended up being just as dead...

PS3 controllers are crazy expensive now too...

So much waste from this trend of non-replaceable batteries...

• Like 3

It's cheaper because you can eliminate contacts. At $0.02 per contact, for example, a million units sold may save the company $8,000 - $10,000 a year. Simpler molding too, no battery box. No cover. Different certification and testing. It all adds up, to maybe $50,000 or more per year. Maybe half a million over the product lifecycle? AND it's no waste to the company if it keeps you buying more. Rather the opposite!

2 hours ago, The Historian said:

Agreed.  The choice of battery on a controller  that is only slightly more likely to see the light of day than its parent console is the least of my worries.

Edited by godslabrat

5 hours ago, Keatah said:

It's cheaper because you can eliminate contacts. At $0.02 per contact, for example, a million units sold may save the company $8,000 - $10,000 a year. Simpler molding too, no battery box. No cover. Different certification and testing. It all adds up, to maybe $50,000 or more per year. Maybe half a million over the product lifecycle? AND it's no waste to the company if it keeps you buying more. Rather the opposite!

Did you say Half a Million?   The only thing I see these guys producing half a million of...is Farts.

• Haha 4