IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

2 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Many indies have praised the Switch, as they've found that their game sells more on that platform in some cases than on Steam

It's not "in some cases" anymore; it's almost always the case. Steam user base is huge, but there are so many new games every day it's almost impossible to get noticed without a lot of advertising which indie games usually don't get... ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, frankodragon said:

I think the troll is better off in this thread instead.

I find that having some debate here, finally, is interesting. 

I don't agree with his points, but having a lively debate beats another 1000 pages of taco jokes.

Also, labeling anyone with an adverse opinion as a troll really is a habit that needs to die. People disagree, they're not all trolls, shills, or Russian bots.

Edited by Zor
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Zor said:

I don't agree with his points, but having a lively debate beats another 1000 pages of taco jokes.

Also, labeling anyone with an adverse opinion as a troll really is a habit that needs to die. People disagree, they're not all trolls, shills, or Russian bots.

A debate would be interesting, but there's no debate here.  There's one or two guys blowing pure fantasy and then there's everyone else. That doesn't make for a debate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Zor said:

I don't really consider it "trolling" until they're intentionally not even acknowledging counter-points.  We've seen that in this thread before.  The mods took care of it.

Time will tell if we see it again.

I would like to ask a question, impartial one at that. If I told you that in the next 24 hours I could actually get back your indiegogo backer money %100 ( someone else is going to take your spot willingly)

Q) Would you take me up on that offer, or would you stay your hand and wait to see if Atari does deliver.

I am only asking the backers, no one else, no pre-orders. Only the ones that stand to lose the indiegogo money if Atari decides not to ship. Remember, I do not know if Atari will cancel this or if they will indeed ship it. This is a judgement call all on you and what you see.

Edited by OCAT
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

The way you word this though makes it sound like we're supposed to blindly spend hundreds of dollars on a product without researching it. If that floats your boat, then ok, but not for me. I have been following this since the get-go, and it offers zero reason for me to spend money on it. I would play one if I came across it out of sheer curiosity, although my interest is more in the CX-40 remake. I have access to three PCs between work and home, if I want to emulate stuff there, it's no problem; If I want one of the VCS games, I can buy them on Steam; If I was remotely interested in the streaming services that they've announced for it, I'd just use one right now. I have a Raspberry Pi too connected to a TV that I could adjust for gaming if I wanted to do so. 

Well I don't expect anyone to just blindly spend money they don't have or that they feel is better used elsewhere.  I backed it because I wanted something different than the big three options out there.  I wanted an all in one box that I can just plug in and play without setting up an emulator or Pi or whatever else.  Classic games, re-imagined classics, indie games, possible exclusives.  If there happens to be new exclusives for it, that would be great.  As it looks now, it will do exactly what I want it to do and more.  No Sandbox needed for me, although it is a nice bonus.  Reliable (remains to be seen) wireless joysticks have been a dream of mine for a long time, but now looks like reality!  Eye of the beholder I guess, but still no reason to hate on something without ever trying it first.  Kind of like Chevy guys saying they will never buy a Ford and vice-versa.

1 hour ago, Zor said:

Agreed.  100%.  I resent that some on here imply or call backers shills.  I am a backer, plain and simple.  There are 11000 of us in some form or another and not all of us are shills.  I would never call someone with a different opinion a troll and I don't expect to be called names in a forum that is meant for discussion of the merits and demerits of a video game system.  I saw value in the proposed idea and decided to help it see the light of day.  If it happen then it happens.

1 hour ago, OCAT said:

I would like to ask a question, impartial one at that. If I told you that in the next 24 hours I could actually get back your indiegogo backer money %100 ( someone else is going to take your spot willingly)

Q) Would you take me up on that offer, or would you stay your hand and wait to see if Atari does deliver.

I am only asking the backers, no one else, no pre-orders. Only the ones that stand to lose the indiegogo money if Atari decides not to ship. Remember, I do not know if Atari will cancel this or if they will indeed ship it. This is a judgement call all on you and what you see.

I'd love to get my money back.

1 hour ago, jamm said:

A debate would be interesting, but there's no debate here.  There's one or two guys blowing pure fantasy and then there's everyone else. That doesn't make for a debate.

If there is no debate, then why are you here?  And don't say because the tacos are great.  You can't taste the internet.  As you can see I am clearly feeling confrontational today.  The pure fantasy that you speak of is on your side of the fence too.  Speculating that it is all vaporware, the "Ataco box" doesn't exit, there is no software.  You don't know that either.  I read this thread plenty and there are good sane points made on both sides, but clearly just louder voices on the negative side.

1 hour ago, OCAT said:

I would not.  I want to see how this all plays out and if I do get value for my money (believing that Atari will eventually deliver).  I could have just as easily not liked the PS when I bought that new.  The Xbox.  The Wii.  Etc.  I might hate it and put it on E-bay after I receive it (but I doubt it?).

41 minutes ago, joeatari1 said:

Reliable (remains to be seen) wireless joysticks have been a dream of mine for a long time, but now looks like reality!

Everything else aside, I've never had a single problem with any first party wireless controller.

5 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

I was an backer in the Indigogo campaign, so that makes me a customer

Nope, that makes you a backer. Until it is in your hot little hands all you have is years of delays and updates.

I'm not sure what your goal is here. You're not going to convince anyone here that they should suddenly change their minds, run out and become a backer, or preorder a VCS. 

I find it endlessly fascinating that people do this though. Is it the sunk costs fallacy? Are they trying to pump and dump? Or do they just need to feel validated in their opinions?

You don't need anyone here to change their minds. And their opinion shouldn't have any impact on you.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, The Historian said:

Nope, that makes you a backer. Until it is in your hot little hands all you have is years of delays and updates.

I'm not sure what your goal is here. You're not going to convince anyone here that they should suddenly change their minds, run out and become a backer, or preorder a VCS. 

I find it endlessly fascinating that people do this though. Is it the sunk costs fallacy? Are they trying to pump and dump? Or do they just need to feel validated in their opinions?

You don't need anyone here to change their minds. And their opinion shouldn't have any impact on you.

Perhaps his goal is to change the environment and mantra here so it isn't so hostile toward backers.  I would like a more welcoming forum here too.  The other forum that was pasted here earlier has just become a junior to this one.  It was started to get away from tacos and burned former employees and the other bs that is reiterated here again and again.  But that was infiltrated as well.  There are many members that have abandoned this thread and the other one because of it.  I would love to discuss Atari without it being called L'Atari or the (new) VCS without it being called Ataco Box.  So, no negative minds may be changed here but maybe being more hospitable is in order.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, joeatari1 said:

Perhaps his goal is to change the environment and mantra here so it isn't so hostile toward backers.  I would like a more welcoming forum here too.  

Sorry but the people on this thread are not just being hostile towards backers just for the sake of it, but, what do you expect when backers come here defending "atari" and telling us that the vcs is the best thing since sliced bread? Do you want people to applaud and agree?

Excuse me but even you have to admit that this project have been managed in a very poor way and with very little respect to the backers.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, joeatari1 said:

I wanted an all in one box that I can just plug in and play without setting up an emulator or Pi or whatever else.  Classic games, re-imagined classics, indie games, possible exclusives.  If there happens to be new exclusives for it, that would be great.  As it looks now, it will do exactly what I want it to do and more.  No Sandbox needed for me, although it is a nice bonus. 

The only classic games you know you will get are the Mega Vault that I got for $3 not long ago. There hasn't really been any evidence of reimagined or indies that will be sold through their OS. I'm sure there will be a few but not enough for them to brag. This means the nice Sandbox bonus is where you are going to have to install windows, set up emulators,  find roms, and install Steam to get your classic and indie fix (Assuming you want to play more classics than just Mega Vault). At that point makes it no less complex than a PC.

I get wanting something different as around the time the Ataribox was announced I was in that same mindset  I stepped out of my comfort zone and found that I have access to all those things you wanted and it was through Steam, and now that I have one, the Switch. There is so much out there, we just sometimes have to try something different. 

• Like 3

Agreed.  100%.  I resent that some on here imply or call backers shills.  I am a backer, plain and simple.  There are 11000 of us in some form or another and not all of us are shills.  I would never call someone with a different opinion a troll and I don't expect to be called names in a forum that is meant for discussion of the merits and demerits of a video game system.  I saw value in the proposed idea and decided to help it see the light of day.  If it happen then it happens.

I heard @TACODON was the biggest of Atari shills. I mean look at his username. It has the word, taco, in it. Nothing screams Ataribox fan more than that.

?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I read this thread plenty and there are good sane points made on both sides, but clearly just louder voices on the negative side.

The problem has always stemmed from how Atari handled this. Basically tacos came about from Atari botching the campaign and long wait times of absolutely no updates. It is a great example for other people wanting to revive something retro on what not to do. I get not letting something like stepping in dog crap not ruining your day but if it happens multiple times you still have to recognize that the crap stinks. This campaign has had many step in crap moments.

Many think it should and will come out. There isn't a good reason that they've shown as to why it hasn't already been released. I wouldn't be surprised if there were people on this forum who could have crapped out a workable board design and coded it by now that would have functioned for the atacoshoebox.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Yarzzz said:

Sorry but the people on this thread are not just being hostile towards backers just for the sake of it, but, what do you expect when backers come here defending "atari" and telling us that the vcs is the best thing since sliced bread? Do you want people to applaud and agree?

Excuse me but even you have to admit that this project have been managed in a very poor way and with very little respect to the backers.

I do think people will be able to enjoy it. I still think its overpriced and long overdue to be released to backers. I hope it lives up to everyone's expectations, but yeah nightmare campaign.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, joeatari1 said:

Perhaps his goal is to change the environment and mantra here so it isn't so hostile toward backers.  I would like a more welcoming forum here too.  The other forum that was pasted here earlier has just become a junior to this one.  It was started to get away from tacos and burned former employees and the other bs that is reiterated here again and again.  But that was infiltrated as well.  There are many members that have abandoned this thread and the other one because of it.  I would love to discuss Atari without it being called L'Atari or the (new) VCS without it being called Ataco Box.  So, no negative minds may be changed here but maybe being more hospitable is in order.

Exactly how are we hostile toward backers?  We have backers in this very thread, some of whom have already replied to you.  No one is hostile toward them that I've seen.  If anything, we pity them because no one should be taken advantage of by a shady company.

We are hostile toward Fred Chesnais and his crew, but I think they've earned that stance and I'm doubt I need to mention why.  In any case, if you have no affiliation with l'Atari, it shouldn't matter to you how the thread treats them.

• Like 2