Jump to content
Goochman

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

So let's then ask the next logical question:  is there anything l'Atari can do to make that happen, or is it entirely up to the aforementioned Gen-Xers?

Hey, don't put the blame on us for this.    The nostalgia glasses get pretty blurry for anything past the NES.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, godslabrat said:

So let's then ask the next logical question:  is there anything l'Atari can do to make that happen, or is it entirely up to the aforementioned Gen-Xers?

Chesnais has been positioning the system for nostalgia...the name change...the throwback look of both the system and logo...the focus on the modern ATARI joystick & its rotary function. Plus...how he wants to focus on ATARI’s IP one by one with re-imagined versions as seen in PONG Quest & Missile Command: Recharged. Maybe 1 or 2 or even more titles will be part of the launch and utilize the new joystick or have additional features for the new system.
 

 

Edited by Iron-Marine Soldier
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Agillig said:

Hey, don't put the blame on us for this.    The nostalgia glasses get pretty blurry for anything past the NES.  

This will be for Gen-Xers born from 1965-1977 as the main target...”younger” Gen-Xers & Boomers...won’t have the same emotional attachment or probably won’t/don’t even care so much about ATARI. They were either Pinball Wizards...didn’t care about the arcade video game explosion or just didn’t experience the arcade & home console phenomenon that was headed by ATARI. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, racerx said:

Excessive use of ellipses, full capitalization of Atari, use of entire ATARI VCS 400/800 moniker, unfounded optimism...

 

I'm guessing F1JV/Tamicos/whatever has joined our illustrious ranks.

image.thumb.png.315e4b562f5336ce0a8323cb284dad6f.png

 

42 minutes ago, Iron-Marine Soldier said:

 


Thousands & thousands...more than whatever that Mattel system sells...for sure. Very few people had that system relative to all the ATARI systems that people owned or played in the arcade. Side by side...the one with the new modern ATARI joystick is going to sell...sorry...TT. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Iron-Marine Soldier said:

What is amazing to me...is people here worried about $300-400 USD...sad. 

Worried? No. I've got over $20k in my home arcade. I just picked up a $2000 gun today. I don't typically use money as a pathetic flex, because I'm not a douche.

 

That doesn't mean I just light money on fire.

  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, racerx said:

Excessive use of ellipses, full capitalization of Atari, use of entire ATARI VCS 400/800 moniker, unfounded optimism...

 

I'm guessing F1JV/Tamicos/whatever has joined our illustrious ranks.

No I think it is an alt account for Flo.

 

Either way. Welcome newbie!

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Iron-Marine Soldier said:

This will be for Gen-Xers born from 1965-1977 as the main target...”younger” Gen-Xers & Boomers...won’t have the same emotional attachment or probably won’t/don’t even care so much about ATARI. They were either Pinball Wizards...didn’t care about the arcade video game explosion or just didn’t experience the arcade & home console phenomenon that was headed by ATARI. 

Yeah, I fit into that age bracket.  There's a reason video game history progressed the way it did.  If the people who loved those games didn't keep playing them over time, it's pretty unlikely they're going to get sucked back in now.

 

I play some of the oldies every once in awhile when I'm in a wild mood, but there's a reason I never looked back when things progressed.   I think the majority of gamers my age feel the same way. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Agillig said:

Yeah, I fit into that age bracket.  There's a reason video game history progressed the way it did.  If the people who loved those games didn't keep playing them over time, it's pretty unlikely they're going to get sucked back in now.

 

I play some of the oldies every once in awhile when I'm in a wild mood, but there's a reason I never looked back when things progressed.   I think the majority of gamers my age feel the same way. 

I'm in that age bracket as well, and I agree- I play oldies once and a while as well (I'm a sucker for old game anthologies on multiple platforms, plus 2600/TI 99 4A owner), but I just 'went with the flow', as it were, for games and gaming.

Edited by digdugnate
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Iron-Marine Soldier said:

What is amazing to me...is people here worried about $300-400 USD...sad. 

Sure. It's not a huge amount of money in the grand scheme of things but it's still a lot to be spending on fresh air, and that's all that Atari have to show for the past three years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Agillig said:

Yeah, I fit into that age bracket.  There's a reason video game history progressed the way it did.  If the people who loved those games didn't keep playing them over time, it's pretty unlikely they're going to get sucked back in now.

 

I play some of the oldies every once in awhile when I'm in a wild mood, but there's a reason I never looked back when things progressed.   I think the majority of gamers my age feel the same way. 

My first video game as a very little kid was ATARI tabletop PONG in my Dad’s business...1976...a time when people were proud of their nation(Bi-Centennial year) & were nice to each other...wow. I got to see the arcade BOOM to WARS to BUST...from 4 tokens per $1.00 to 10-15-20 tokens for a dollar...and back to 4 tokens/$1.00. All the incredible video games that were just released...not there/anywhere one day to being there for the first time.

 

ATARI was so huge...ATARI was part of The USA’s culture...and the world’s culture and it didn’t just stop overnight. The ATARI arcade/computer/console/handheld systems & games went on for a very long time...my nostalgia estimates are probably far too narrow...we’ll see. 

Edited by Iron-Marine Soldier
  • Confused 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was born in '71. I have huge warm fuzzies for Atari. Almost half my arcade machines are Atari. I still have my original heavy sixer. Hell, I've got a complete Jaguar boxed collection.

 

On the other hand, I've got zero nostalgia for Infogrames, no matter what they choose to call themselves, or what IP they purchase.

 

This is all thoroughly dead horse material here, though. If all you need is a meaningless brand name, good for you. Atari SA gets no automatic attention or love from most of us, because they have nothing to do with the Atari that we grew up with.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Agillig said:

Yeah, I fit into that age bracket.  There's a reason video game history progressed the way it did.  If the people who loved those games didn't keep playing them over time, it's pretty unlikely they're going to get sucked back in now.

 

I play some of the oldies every once in awhile when I'm in a wild mood, but there's a reason I never looked back when things progressed.   I think the majority of gamers my age feel the same way. 

I am also in that "age". I do not have or want to spend 18 hours a day playing games. I prefer to sit in front of my desk with plenty of snackes and watch people speedrun old Atari, NES, arcade games from the past. Why destroy my fingers and wrists mashing buttons?

I find the games I like to play at night in bed are escape games (android phone), these games are "brain use not button mashing" and if i fall asleep it just goes into pause mode until next morning.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Iron-Marine Soldier said:

My first video game as a very little kid was ATARI tabletop PONG in my Dad’s business...1976...a time when people were proud of their nation(Bi-Centennial year) & were nice to each other...wow. I got to see the arcade BOOM & BUST...from 4 tokens per $1.00 to 10-15-20 tokens for a dollar...and back to 4 tokens/$1.00. All the incredible video games that were just released...not there/anywhere one day to being there for the first time.

 

ATARI was so huge...ATARI was part of The USA’s culture...and the world’s culture and it didn’t just stop overnight. The ATARI arcade/computer/console/handheld systems & games went on for a very long time...my nostalgia estimates are probably far too narrow...we’ll see. 

My first was the 5200.  I knew lots of kids with the 2600.  No one I can remember had the 7800.  In my little corner of the world, the Lynx and Jaguar were complete non-entities.  We played Atari games at the arcade, and some home ports, but never had any reason to consider those two systems.

 

But yeah, Atari WAS an absolute juggernaut in the early 80's.  I'd say Atari was synonymous with video games, just like Nintendo was from 85 - 91.  I guess we'll have to see whether nostalgia for the brand is really that strong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, racerx said:

I was born in '71. I have huge warm fuzzies for Atari. Almost half my arcade machines are Atari. I still have my original heavy sixer. Hell, I've got a complete Jaguar boxed collection.

 

On the other hand, I've got zero nostalgia for Infogrames, no matter what they choose to call themselves, or what IP they purchase.

 

This is all thoroughly dead horse material here, though. If all you need is a meaningless brand name, good for you. Atari SA gets no automatic attention or love from most of us, because they have nothing to do with the Atari that we grew up with.

At least they see value in ATARI & their IP + Trademarks...and are trying to bring to market a new system. More Flashback units...10 already...or t-shirts & novelties is not what I want after 25 years without a new ATARI system. That is just my opinion though...someone who bought multiple ATARI systems(console/computer/handheld)...every one bought during their lifecycle & brand new. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, OCAT said:

I am also in that "age". I do not have or want to spend 18 hours a day playing games. I prefer to sit in front of my desk with plenty of snackes and watch people speedrun old Atari, NES, arcade games from the past. Why destroy my fingers and wrists mashing buttons?

I find the games I like to play at night in bed are escape games (android phone), these games are "brain use not button mashing" and if i fall asleep it just goes into pause mode until next morning.

My last new console on release day is the Original Xbox...yeah...I have quite a few unopened SEGA Dreamcast games(purchased when heavily discounted) & a couple of unopened Xbox games as well...stopped having time for “epic” games.  These last 20 years just went by very quick...I have reverted back to my arcade ways for the last 5+ years...video games that I can start and that I can completely walk away from. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Agillig said:

My first was the 5200.  I knew lots of kids with the 2600.  No one I can remember had the 7800.  In my little corner of the world, the Lynx and Jaguar were complete non-entities.  We played Atari games at the arcade, and some home ports, but never had any reason to consider those two systems.

 

But yeah, Atari WAS an absolute juggernaut in the early 80's.  I'd say Atari was synonymous with video games, just like Nintendo was from 85 - 91.  I guess we'll have to see whether nostalgia for the brand is really that strong. 

I would have bought a 5200 if I had the money...I bought my VCS in 1980 with my own kid saved money. So...I did the next best thing, bought a Starpath Supercharger and almost every game for it over the next few years until I bought my first computer...an ATARI 800XL. Phaser Patrol was awesome...and so was Escape from the Mindmaster & DragonStomper. Finishing DragonStomper as a kid...was a big deal...seriously. 

D261E3EB-AF02-4802-9949-FAA1DDB0BA43.jpeg

A5BBFC14-9E65-4B42-9FF1-C79D139F6383.jpeg

0DE3CC53-1D53-44FE-AE35-747844BDA1A7.jpeg

Edited by Iron-Marine Soldier
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The being scared of spending money argument is silly. I spend plenty of money on my hobbies. But I expect to get something for that money.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Iron-Marine Soldier said:

What is amazing to me...is people here worried about $300-400 USD...sad. 

I think $300-$400 is a big enough investment for people to not want to waste it.

 

Before you bash me too hard. I have a VCS on pre-order. But I care enough about losing the money that I did the pre-order through Walmart. At least I know that if the console never gets produced, I won't be out $400.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Define "boatload." 

According to Google there were 30 million "Flashback"units sold.  If Atari can manage a good fraction of that number, I would call that a success.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Iron-Marine Soldier said:

My last new console on release day is the Original Xbox...yeah...I have quite a few unopened SEGA Dreamcast games(purchased when heavily discounted) & a couple of unopened Xbox games as well...stopped having time for “epic” games.  These last 20 years just went by very quick...I have reverted back to my arcade ways for the last 5+ years...video games that I can start and that I can completely walk away from. 

My last day one was an Xbox as well.  I've been slowly building my back catalog though.  So many consoles, so little time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, TACODON said:

The being scared of spending money argument is silly. I spend plenty of money on my hobbies. But I expect to get something for that money.

Yes...on expecting something for your money and...it’s not that much money. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...