IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Totally looks like Feargal was fired from the box, and their activity on the game band is leading up to the same epic fail of his first one. They already used the "sorry for the radio silence" line. Next comes the "hitting the pause button", then "a really hard update to write" BS before they take the money and run. What comes after "fool me three times?" Maybe they'll eventually release a kids pocket game watch.

• Like 5

Totally looks like Feargal was fired from the box, and their activity on the game band is leading up to the same epic fail of his first one. They already used the "sorry for the radio silence" line. Next comes the "hitting the pause button", then "a really hard update to write" BS before they take the money and run. What comes after "fool me three times?" Maybe they'll eventually release a kids pocket game watch.

Not unlikely actually, since only people on the mailing list has been informed by Mac's crew on the delay and their Facebook and Twitter has been eerily silent, with Atari SA themselves in France stating to French media that it will be put on delay.

Something isn't right behind the woodgrain wall, that's for sure.

• Like 1

I wonder if we will be getting any other perils of wisdom from the Historian? It's been 3 days since his last post in this thread and that is unlike him. Is the Historian finally history? Was his user name truly this prophetic? Is he being held to a chair with a pair of prototype Gameband shackles at Mac's house? Is he being further brainwashed with new AtariBox propaganda to spread as mindless damage control for the delay of the vaporware console and compatible bracelets?

inquiring_minds_logo.png

I don't know, I think the fact that they're willing to delay it when things don't go right sort of works out to a win win for us. Either it doesn't come out and aside from some vapor-ware jokes it is a tiny spec in the history of video games, or it does and we have something new to play around with.

My biggest fear was that they would just push ahead, no matter what, with whatever crap they could find and start taking money from people regardless of what they did or didn't have. I'd rather they postpone preorders and the like than ask for money before they show us anything, and I think a willingness to delay is, at the very least, not a bad thing.

And I know we all like to say its a scam around here, but imho it isn't a scam until they take money. And they haven't yet. Of course, if they keep up this cagey behavior and refuse to release specs, etc, AND begin to take preorders and people's money, then I will fully rescind this comment and join the chorus in it's-a-scamsville. You could argue that they may have taken investor money already to develop it, which would be bad obviously, but if you're a serious investor who doesn't properly vet your investments, then I don't have tons of sympathy.

Sorry for the disjointed formatting, its finals but I just wanted to put in my two cents.

tl;dr: I don't want to call it a scam until they start taking money and I'm glad that they haven't. I am totally comfortable, however, with saying it's probably a bad idea in the first place.

Edited so as not to double post: I hope the Historian is still involved. I liked having a guy on the inside, even if he couldn't say much, and I really did think his support of it was a good sign.

Edited by lifemadesimple
  • Like 5

Please do a video on the AtariBox up to this point. I'm more than sure you see the parallels to the CC and it would be nice to see and hear your flavor of video on the subject as a whole.

Just save the f bombs for necessary dramatic effect. No point appearing like sour grapes with such rich source material. I envision the only f bombs following "what the".

I wonder if we will be getting any other perils of wisdom from the Historian? It's been 3 days since his last post in this thread and that is unlike him. Is the Historian finally history? Was his user name truly this prophetic? Is he being held to a chair with a pair of prototype Gameband shackles at Mac's house? Is he being further brainwashed with new AtariBox propaganda to spread as mindless damage control for the delay of the vaporware console and compatible bracelets?

I'm still around. Sorry to disappoint. Just a busy weekend.

I won't speak on behalf of Feargal.

• Like 2

It's funny: I take no real joy in watching the Ataribox enter the tailspin exhibited by every half-baked crowdfunded hardware project that fits its lifecycle pattern. Having something like it on the market could have been cool, provided it offered more than just being a repackaging of the Flashback concept that's been around for a decade-and-a-half.

But my give-a-damn is most definitely broken on this one. Observing the saga has been similar to watching someone say, "we can totally be our own bosses - let's open a coffee shop!" followed by them doing exactly that then subsequently seeing their business augur in as they discover that they have absolutely no clue as to what running a business actually entails.

We all know that Feargal Mac Conulaidh loves branding. So does Atari S.A., from whom the Atari name was presumably licensed for use on the Ataribox. Now that F-Mac has damaged the brand's reputation by very publically showing a total inability to execute while bandying the Atari name about, I'm wondering if Atari S.A.'s lawyers won't be looking for a pound or two of his flesh in compensation for that damage - metaphorically speaking, of course.

That's just speculation on my behalf, but it doesn't seem to be outside of the realms of reasonable possibility.

• Like 5

Feargal leaving would probably be for the best. I wish his backers the best of luck with gameband, I think its doable but doubt is definitely warranted. But Atari is watching forums and hopefully they can see how far some tech-specs (if they have any) would go right now.

Also, happy to have you back Historian!

• Like 2

Interesting that Feargal is getting the brunt of the blame. He is the face, so that is to be expected. But there were far more involved.

Perhaps one person isn't to blame for what happened? And I'm not saying any one person is innocent either. It's clear mistakes were made, but outside trying to look in... It can't be clear who or how many made them.

I'm still around. Sorry to disappoint. Just a busy weekend.

I won't speak on behalf of Feargal.

Glad to see you escaped the gamebands holding you down! :thumbsup:

I didn't expect you to speak on behalf of your best buddy Lil' Mac. Was more

curious what kinda spin he'd have you spouting as your version of damage

control is sure to provide me with some welcomed laughs.

• Like 2

I think he's getting the brunt of the blame because, like you said, he is the face. Who else could any of us name on the project? There's Fred Chesnais, but he's been fairly quiet about this and I don't think a lot of us would connect him with the hands-on creation. At least I personally basically see him as being in charge of the business side and not much else. I guess there's you, but you're doing this essentially as a side hobby and (unless I'm misinterpreting what you've said) aren't even paid. You aren't on payroll or even physically making the thing.

That leaves Feargal. He's just the only name we have, he has a controversial history with this sort of thing (to phrase things diplomatically) and has been very vocal in his support and role. He's not getting the brunt of this because we all have insider knowledge and know he's the problem. He's just the only face we've got.

Edited for grammar and clarity.

Edited by lifemadesimple
  • Like 3

Interesting that Feargal is getting the brunt of the blame. He is the face, so that is to be expected. But there were far more involved.

Perhaps one person isn't to blame for what happened? And I'm not saying any one person is innocent either. It's clear mistakes were made, but outside trying to look in... It can't be clear who or how many made them.

Semantics and tedium aside. Use of "were" indicates this is pretty much a dead project. If it gets rebooted it'll have to be by someone that's known and has credibility. OR, it will have to simply show up on the retail shelves and build a reputation from the bottom, up.

---

The "mistakes" that were made, whatever they were, however they happened, happened because no one knew what was happening. Or how to do what needed to be done.

You just can't pull top-talent out of a magic hat. No matter how many wands you buy. Old Atari had in-house talent that was malleable, vibrant, versatile. What does modern-day atari have?

When old Atari put the results of their efforts and top-talent on the retail shelf, people loved it. No reason it can't happen again.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 4

Why don't you enlighten us rather than acting like the center of attention and in-the-know-guy who also claims he knows nothing,or couldn't say anything if he did.

I honestly don't know what you're trying to accomplish here. If you're the community manager you say you are, why do you have time to work for free? What exactly do you get for paying gigs to justify your self assigned titles. You can't offer anything of substance or context on the topic of this discussion, (not tacos), and I've signed plenty of NDAs myself so I know that's no excuse. There's plenty that can be discussed without violating specific terms of an NDA that don't require narcissistic attention seeking. If you're just one of the many social media geeks they enlisted to spam message boards and social media it makes much more sense, and you can dispense with the pretense and false innuendo.

• Like 3