IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

https://www.linkedin.com/in/michaelarzt

-Responsible for launch of new connected device, wearables and hardware division that will reinvigorate Atari’s legacy as a creator and marketer of fun and innovative consumer products.

-Oversight of new product development, marketing, OEM & strategic partnerships and associated tasks.

-Building Atari Connect to be a premier game, consumer product and pop-culture lifestyle brand for gamers and everyone who loves fun and useful devices and apps.

-Actively hunting for, and open to, any new and innovative connected product ideas worthy of the great and beloved Atari name!

• Like 1

I'm cautiously optimistic. Unlike the mid-70s, there is a hell of a lot of steadfast competition out there. Whole new world and all.

Let's play a new game; If you could take one piece of current tech back in time to the mid-70s to give to Nolan Bushnell, what would it be?

Let's play a new game; If you could take one piece of current tech back in time to the mid-70s to give to Nolan Bushnell, what would it be?

The obvious answer might be a 'smart' phone/device, but didn't Jobs & Woz both work for Nolan?

;)

How about a Virtual Boy? lol

An iPad, with the AA forums (and this) cached in its browser, so he could see what would happen to Atari.

Edited by Nathan Strum

https://www.linkedin.com/in/michaelarzt

-Responsible for launch of new connected device, wearables and hardware division that will reinvigorate Atari’s legacy as a creator and marketer of fun and innovative consumer products.

-Oversight of new product development, marketing, OEM & strategic partnerships and associated tasks.

-Building Atari Connect to be a premier game, consumer product and pop-culture lifestyle brand for gamers and everyone who loves fun and useful devices and apps.

-Actively hunting for, and open to, any new and innovative connected product ideas worthy of the great and beloved Atari name!

... and I personally found this guys's previous employers quite interesting.

Looking through LinkedIn's user agreement, it looks like info can set to public or private. I guess it was just public for a while today. I was afraid I had shared something I wasn't supposed to, but apparently if I did, it was someone else's fault. It was accessible to everyone through the link I posted for a short while.

Looking through LinkedIn's user agreement, it looks like info can set to public or private. I guess it was just public for a while today. I was afraid I had shared something I wasn't supposed to, but apparently if I did, it was someone else's fault. It was accessible to everyone through the link I posted for a short while.

Works here just fine.

Funny how that guy does not seem to ever had done anything but VP, Senior VP, Head of this/that .... was he born inside a board of directors?

• Like 1

It would be cool if it was a hybrid of a PlayStation TV and a Streaming stick. Allows remote play of consoles, while providing its own service, and it has streaming services. So, you can play modern games, retro games, movies and tv, and its Atari branded. Oh well, one can hope.

Edited by bpatte02
  • Like 1

I don't know what AtariBox is, but I sure want to port Super Vektoroids to it! I actually met the COO of Atari at Steam Dev Days. I was just walking down the street and I saw these two corporate looking guys, so I asked them how they are liking the show, and would they watch my game trailer, saying the game is like a cross between Space Duel and Asteroids in VR, and the one guy just chuckled and said, I'm the COO of Atari! Was a very cool moment. I'm excited to see what Atari has up their sleeve.

AtariVR http://imgur.com/gallery/ahjAAKd
Intellivision VR Poster: http://imgur.com/nMlv96J

Coleco VR Poster: http://imgur.com/jsQS20R

"Super Vektoroids" trailer (some of you may appreciate!)

Glad to join this community! Edited by Damo9000
  • Like 16

UBS (United Bank of Switzerland) analysts just recommended several videogame stocks as they see the industry moving from regular software sales (=set price per game) to a usage model (=price to play/hr). I think it's likely that Ataribox will have this model as well...

Well, you've been on the money so far, mrsearch, but I'm not sure how an hourly pricing model would be received by gamers. Monthly seems to work pretty well though, so there might be a chance.

I guess it depends on the price. We generally get 60 hour games for $60 now, so I can't imagine anyone paying more than $1 an hour. In fact, to switch to this model, they'd probably want a significant savings over regular purchases, so twenty-five to fifty cents an hour maybe? I gotta admit, being able to choose any game to play would be enticing.

Here's the math of the UBS analysts: 1hr in the movie business is about 5 bucks, 1hr in the videogame business currently is at 25 cents. If the videogame companies will be able to improve that (just a bit) by offering game-streaming, their future should be golden (well, that's at least what the UBS analysts say).

Edited by mrsearch

Here's the math of the UBS analysts: 1hr in the movie business is about 5 bucks, 1hr in the videogame business currently is at 25 cents. If the videogame companies will be able to improve that (just a bit) by offering game-streaming, their future should be golden (well, that's at least what the UBS analysts say).

But Game streaming never works in practice due to the latencies involved with sending controller inputs to foreign server, rendering game footage, compartmentalizing said footage into streamable content (predictive frames leads to increased efficiency at the expense of latency), then sending A/V packets to the end user. When all is said and done, expect 250ms latency or therabouts. Character does not jump when you say jump. Playing a racing game with extreme lag, makes an excellent drunk driving simulator... :P

For most "action" style games, it is imperative that latency be reduced or eliminated, which means all game assets must be stored and rendered locally in order to work. And if the entire game code is to be stored locally on the device, a network token or something is initiated to unlock it, otherwise in a "pay to play" style environment, said content could be hacked to run locally.

I seriously doubt "Atari" will attempt game streaming. Where are people even getting that idea? Sony has that niche sewn up with Playstation Now. Seems to me that anyone with the bandwidth to run such a thing can just buy the games instead. That's certainly the case with me. Nvidia streaming is totally playable, but that stuff is cheaper as more practical to buy and own.

Micro transactions don't have to be pay to play, they can be to unlock items and goodies like in a free to play MMO. Again, I don't see what "Atari" can bring to the table that hasn't already been done to death on PC, console, and mobile. This would not be a new idea.

I'm open to learning what they have in mind, but they have shown literally nothing so far, and if they need to crowdfund it, they run the risk of having a stronger company beat them to market if their idea is any good.

• Like 2

Ha, yeah the Spork has been around for along time, though I'd never have thought that long ago...

I think Atari needs to track down the woman in this ad and bring her back for the new one!

Edited by leech
  • Like 1

The Spork. It's a spoon. It's a folk. It's a Spork!

I always wanted a fork with serrated edges on the outer tongs so I can cut my steak and eat it with one utensil. Probably a lawsuit nightmare for the inventor but I'd love to own one. How many people try to cut their meat with a fork before reaching for the knife? What if you didn't have to swap utensils? Just don't cut your mouth... :skull:

"Sporks" are only good for eating Jello. You can't eat soup with it nor stab your food. Useless...

EDIT: Dangit, "knork" already exists! They stole my idea! :mad:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/03/knork-knife-fork_n_1846781.html