IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Yup, they're so far the ones that make sure both brands are present in the daily life of most common people. While both Sega and to some part Atari may license their IP and do other shoe-ins into other markets, most people would imagine both companies are long gone if it weren't for the D2TV devices.

• Like 2

Builder of toys, licenser of software, they also remade Coleco and Intellivision stuff.

I have my reservations about AtGames end product, but overall, they have a much more solid business than either Atari or Sega. If they were to buy out the big names and try to turn them into hardware efforts on their own... Id actually have some cautious confidence in that.
  • Like 4

I have my reservations about AtGames end product, but overall, they have a much more solid business than either Atari or Sega. If they were to buy out the big names and try to turn them into hardware efforts on their own... Id actually have some cautious confidence in that.

You might see more AtGames products on store shelves than Sega ... but Sega isn't that badly off. They're just playing in a different (smaller) league than Nintendo now.

AtGames is a small, privately held company.

Sega-Sammy is a large, publicly traded multinational company with a market cap exceeding $3B. https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/sgamy?ltr=1\

• Like 3

My guess is the reason you never hear them talk about games or developers, is that they are planning to use existing content...That plus maybe Roller Coaster Tycoon and some Atari Flashback type titles...

After talking to Atari, it is very obvious. Atari is just going to run an emulator with Atari ROMs. They are not going to develop any new games. They are not partnering with any developers. It's basically a flashback unit that runs Linux for $250. At the GDC last month they showed off an empty box after 9 months of development. This was another major flub. Just goto unity's website and see what they are saying and it's even worse than what you all are saying here. Its that bad!

• Like 5

There was a big Sega/Atari settlement way back in the 1990s. I think Atari had options to port a few Sega games to the Jaguar. Of course, they lacked the resources to actually do anything with the opportunity, and that was when Atari had significantly more assets than they do today.

Sega is a shadow of its old self, much smaller than when they were at their peak. Not as bad as "Atari," but not in any shape to help, either.

That's why I brought it up. Atari also got a smaller settlement with Nintendo. (About $30 million from Sega, $9 million from Nintendo.) Edge magazine Sam Tramiel asked if Atari planned to sue Sony for patent infringement next. Surprisingly, he didn't say "Yes! They owe us!," opting instead for a more subtle "we'll maximize the value of out patents." https://archive.org/stream/EDGE.N018.1995.03/EDGE.N018.1995.03-Escapade#page/n63/mode/2up

Apple also got millions from micro$oft in exchange for patents and inside technology. Who's going to give Atari millions? I'd argue that at this point that anything Atari has of value has had its worth diluted a long time ago.

One could ague that Atari has no interlectual property anymore. No copyrights or trademarks (the patents would have run out years ago). Atariage and other pirate sites post copyright material (roms, box scans, instructions) and Atari has not done anything to protect their IP. Usually this means the IP falls into the pubic domain so anyone can use.

• Like 2

There was a big Sega/Atari settlement way back in the 1990s. I think Atari had options to port a few Sega games to the Jaguar. Of course, they lacked the resources to actually do anything with the opportunity, and that was when Atari had significantly more assets than they do today.

Sega is a shadow of its old self, much smaller than when they were at their peak. Not as bad as "Atari," but not in any shape to help, either.

Here is a link about Sega settlement and what games Atari was thinking about porting over to the jaguar.

http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/3336-the-sega-games-we-could-have-seen-on-atari-jaguar-with-supporting-documentation-not-speculation/page-1

• Like 3

Actually the reasons the Steam Machine 'failed' is because of several factors. Main one being that it wasn't 300, I think the cheapest was 400, and they went all the way up to 900. Basically they didn't have a standard, and realistically console buyers need a standard or they get confused.. plus it didn' have blast processing!

I was looking for one a little while ago to hook up to my TV, wanted a tiny box with some power, but they were still selling for 800 for the decent one. All the other ones were sold out or no longer being sold. Alienware still makes the Alpha, but it is overly expensive for what you get.

I believe that there are a number of companies selling steam machine. I believe the alienware steam machine still sells. So the value one may have stopped being sold, but there still are others. They probably figured the small profits off of hardware is just not worth it maybe even losing money storing unsold systems whereas an online software store is where the money is.

• Like 1

That's why I brought it up. Atari also got a smaller settlement with Nintendo. (About $30 million from Sega, $9 million from Nintendo.) Edge magazine Sam Tramiel asked if Atari planned to sue Sony for patent infringement next. Surprisingly, he didn't say "Yes! They owe us!," opting instead for a more subtle "we'll maximize the value of out patents." https://archive.org/stream/EDGE.N018.1995.03/EDGE.N018.1995.03-Escapade#page/n63/mode/2up

I remember that interview (it also ran in the sister mag Next Generation in the US). Both now and then, my reaction is the same, Sam is such a knob.

"Saturn is too expensive and Nintendo doesn't even have a product yet."

"The Sony product is just too expensive to be taken seriously and I can't see Sony focusing on a product that won't have the quantities due to the high price. It will be a player, but not a big one."

"Also important is our strategic investor, Time Warner, and our new partner, Sega, which gives us another source of good software."

"We just introduced the Jaguar into Japan and met over 60 third party developers in Tokyo. It will not be easy selling a US-made machine in Japan, but we are going to try."

When asked what do you think the future holds for Atari, "Success."

giphy.gif

• Like 10

One could ague that Atari has no interlectual property anymore. No copyrights or trademarks (the patents would have run out years ago). Atariage and other pirate sites post copyright material (roms, box scans, instructions) and Atari has not done anything to protect their IP. Usually this means the IP falls into the pubic domain so anyone can use.

Not really. Their copyrights haven't expired. Trademarks require a declaration of use and renewal every 10 years. Given how obsessed Fred is about "his" portfolio of 200 games, I'm sure they're on top of the renewals. And they have been actively using the trademarks pretty consistently (Flashbacks, Greatest Hits Collections, online versions). Atari seems very keenly aware of what their properties are (I posted about it back here). That's all they have. I'm sure they're protecting their ownership of them.

Just because people have been posting Atari's IPs online and Atari hasn't always jumped all over it doesn't mean they lose the rights to what they own. Atari has proven they're litigious when they want to be.

As an aside, and something that's oddly on-topic, Atari's online games are called "Atari Arcade". Seems to me that would've been a much better name for their box.

• Like 9

Atari trademark list. I was messing around trying to find out what Atari still holds IP wise for a new video I'm doing.

- Did you know there is a sandwich company in california called "Attari"? It is even trademarked.

- Did you know Atari Interactive has the trademark for "Atari Photo Sauce"?

- Did you know the trademark name "Atari Games" was abandoned in 2017?

- "VCS" is not registered as a trademark.

- "2600" and "Atari 2600" trademarks have been abandoned by Atari.

- Atari abandoned "5200".

- There are 2 companies with the trademark "ST", several with "Jaguar", several with "Lynx",1 with "2600" and 1 with "5200".

- There are tons of companies with a trademark of "flashback".

- Atari has the "Atari flashback" trademarked as well as "Missile Command" and "Asteroids".

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos
  • Like 3

Last time I checked, Adobe Flash won't be fully axed until year 2020. However I believe MSIE to most part has been axed and replaced by Edge. So the Atari Arcade will be open for perhaps 2 - 2.5 years more. Exactly what will happen to old sites based on Flash and where the user has a such module installed in the browser is unknown to me, but supposedly most Internet users will want to run as recent browsers as possible, which will drop Flash support and ignore any old plugins.

Originally, this post proposed a Flash-to-HTML5 converter of some sort.

Teh Googlez has shown me that this already exists.

In my defence, my knowledge of current web development is not what might be called 'comprehensive'.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 1

I didn't know Next Generation & Edge were related. I read a similar interview in Next Gen, the one where Sam says the Jaguar is only a little less powerful than the PSX & that he'll sue Sony if the PSX is released stateside for less than the price in Japan. Did Next Gen run this one too?

Last time I checked, Adobe Flash won't be fully axed until year 2020. However I believe MSIE to most part has been axed and replaced by Edge. So the Atari Arcade will be open for perhaps 2 - 2.5 years more. Exactly what will happen to old sites based on Flash and where the user has a such module installed in the browser is unknown to me, but supposedly most Internet users will want to run as recent browsers as possible, which will drop Flash support and ignore any old plugins.

Speaking of Microsoft Egde. here is what happens when you goto ataribox.com. Chrome and Internet explorer do not give this error. I mentioned this to Atari over a week ago the last time and it's still like that. I told the historian guy last year too.

Also, you can get a flash converter to Unity at least for animations. There are some javascript to c# converters to as Unity has depreciated javascript. I've never used flash but I assume someone has something like that. With any converter there will need to be some tweaking after the conversion.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/animation/gaf-pro-flash-to-unity-26880

post-25700-0-42257600-1522974040.jpg

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos

Atari trademark list. I was messing around trying to find out what Atari still holds IP wise for a new video I'm doing.

- Did you know the trademark name "Atari Games" was abandoned in 2017?

Atari Games would've been owned by Midway/Warner Bros.

I wonder how one goes about acquiring an abandoned trademark? :ponder: