IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I will say one thing for #notmyatari .. At the Midwest Gaming Classic, I got to play the licensed physical pong coffee table game, and man is that thing awesome. Granted, the company that made it didn't need to get the license from Atari from what I understand, but if #notmyatari gave their name to more projects like this, maybe we'd be thinking more of the current company.

• Like 5

I'm trying to remember when waiting for a new console became a literal act of faith. Used to be they told you what it would be, and when could buy it. Now you have to worship at the social media site of your church and wait to experience the holy marketing.

I'm fairly certain it started happening in the dot-com era. It's why I always refer to that period of time as the dark ages. There was this huge influx of funds by people looking to capitalize on computer and internet technology. Lots of crazy directionless ideas. Lots of misplaced exuberance.

There have been vaporware consoles in the mid-80's, too, but nothing like the early 2000's, and certainly nothing like the amount of bullshit generated by crowdfunding.

• Like 3

I used to work with Billy Mays at the Home Shopping Network. So here's a quick non-Ataribox story...

Billy used iodine on the stuff to make it look like it was really nastly. The reason is that Oxy Clean wipes that stuff fast. Behind the control room there was a little 3x3 room with a sink and some brooms. After being on air, he'd pull his cart there and clean up. When I did audio/tape 9 hours a day, I was right in front of that window so could see everything that happened in the hallway. I used to joke around with Billy that he should have a star on the door like a movie star. So they were looking for someone to run the master control tape machine on Christmas on year (maybe 1997-1998?). I signed up to make all of $10 an hour (HSN paid crap). So I came in on Christmas to work all alone. really weird that a huge place like that I was all alone. So I cut out a star on some gator board, wrote billy's name and used double sided tape to put on the door to the closet. Once he saw it, he started using it as a gag. He'd lead a group of people to the door, tell them it's his dressing room, open the door and out fell 10 brooms. It's was funny for a year or two until someone decided to take down the sign.

Billy would give me free Oxy Clean as long as I had a jar (he had to pay for the cups). He was a paid employee. Also, when Billy passed away, Anthony Sullyvan took over for him (a HSN host).

Now back to talking about all of the bad decisions Atari has been making.

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos
  • Like 10

I'm fairly certain it started happening in the dot-com era. It's why I always refer to that period of time as the dark ages. There was this huge influx of funds by people looking to capitalize on computer and internet technology. Lots of crazy directionless ideas. Lots of misplaced exuberance.

There have been vaporware consoles in the mid-80's, too, but nothing like the early 2000's, and certainly nothing like the amount of bullshit generated by crowdfunding.

Speaking specifically about consoles, I think the original Xbox was the first one I remember that had people doubting... but Microsoft's deep pockets made such doubts fairly mild.

• Like 1

Speaking specifically about consoles, I think the original Xbox was the first one I remember that had people doubting... but Microsoft's deep pockets made such doubts fairly mild.

Only reason Xbox made it past the first console was because it had backing by a company like Microsoft with very, very deep pockets. I don't know the exact info. or how accurate it is, but supposedly it the Xbox brand didn't turn a profit until 2008 and in 2013 there were headlines saying Microsoft was losing $2 billion a year on Xbox and there were investors pushing Microsoft to sell Xbox, Bing and Surface (and maybe some other things too)

If the Sega Dreamcast would of been made by Microsoft, it would of been just fine.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2007/05/04/xbox-to-turn-first-profit-in-2008

https://www.engadget.com/2008/01/24/the-xbox-turns-a-profit/

https://www.destructoid.com/analyst-microsoft-losing-2-billion-on-xbox-annually-265273.phtml

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2014/02/05/investors-want-microsofts-new-ceo-to-kill-xbox-bing-and-surface/?utm_term=.add4065a41c2

If any company is going to enter the game industry and have any chance at not being an outright failure, it's going to be a company like Google, Samsung, Apple, etc. And seeing as how it's 2018 and none of them have, or have expressed interest in doing so, it's most likely never going to happen. Theres a reason only 3 companies (Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo) are here making consoles. And Atari and Sega, out of all the consoles both companies made, pretty much only one was a legitimate success (Atari 2600 and Sega Genesis) Theres a reason so many casuals just refer to it as "The Atari" and "The Sega" and have never heard of any of their other consoles like the Atari Jaguar or 5200 or the Sega Saturn or 32x.

And Nintendo, with their name recognition and iconic IPs and characters such as Mario, Zelda, etc. They have had plenty of struggles too.

The video game industry is not easy. Makes me laugh at the Ouya's initial Kickstarter video and that moron Julie Uhrman is acting all cocky like shes going to come in and disrupt the industry and be a bigger pioneer and success then the Nintendo NES or Sony PlayStation was and that it was all going to be a simple cakewalk, HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edited by Pink
  • Like 1

Let's summarize what we have here so far:

1) Pet rocks

2) Pinatas

3) Tacos

4) Underpants (used but cleaned)

5) Cardboard Boxes

6) LED's

7) Atari Stock

8) Signatures

9) Happy Meals

Yup I think that'll all fit together in the AtariVCSTacoTightywhiteybox. Anything else that should be added to the "list" feel free to add yours. Because Speakerhats.

Will you sell the remaining Atari stock over a period of 20 years like Oshea, or do you have a different plan? ;)

No, scrap it for paper value, like Oshea did with all the 7800 carts, for gold.

If you didn't know this yet, invest in paper! No trees, no paper, simple as that.

• Like 2

No, scrap it for paper value, like Oshea did with all the 7800 carts, for gold.

If you didn't know this yet, invest in paper! No trees, no paper, simple as that.

The problem with paper is that they can only sit in a wearhouse for 6 months or so (most probably in a place like Chicago). They get warped by just sitting there. So for example a board game. The order is put in maybe feb-march for the christmas season. The mill makes them and they get built and put in a wearhouse maybe in july-aug. In sept-oct they get shipped out to the stores. By jan the wearhouse needs to be empty of the old stock. If they have any, then they get sold at a discount. SO if I was to try to get a small run of 10,000 board games done, the only time they would do it is early in the year like feb as the big companies have the latter months full.

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos
  • Like 1

Today in AtariLife®: damning with faint praise, obligatory familiar shill:

GEEK PICK OF THE DAY: Have You Worn the Atari Speakerhat Today?

The quality of the speakers themselves could be better, but again they are woven into a hat. Also, because the speakers (positioned above your ears) are louder for the wearer than for listeners around you, you’re always encouraged to keep the volume at non-obnoxious levels. The speakers and the embedded battery don’t make the hat overly heavy, and I was impressed by how long the battery lasted.

post-2410-0-90768300-1524059720_thumb.png

Atari has grand ambitions for all of its new hardware to someday link together, like an internet of Atari things. Ideas include a “multiplayer mode” where Atari Speakerhats are all synchronized to the same source, as well as some kind of communication between Speakerhats and the Atari VCS console. But right now the Atari Speakerhat is a gimmicky but fun way to listen to tunes while showing your appreciation of classic gaming.

post-2410-0-76668600-1524059739_thumb.png

• Like 9

The "Internet of Atari Things".

What, exactly, are those? Flashbacks and speakerhats? Atari hasn't been a company that made "things" since the days of Windows 3.11.

https://gizmodo.com/ataris-speakerhat-is-the-asshat-asshats-have-been-waiti-1797088671

The Speakerhat was also made with gamers in mind, as it comes with “multiplayer mode,” which allows several asshats to connect their asshats and listen to the same audio stream. Atari calls this a “fundamentally new social audio experience.” We call it assynchronicity.

per atarilife.com

post-2410-0-25421300-1524061042_thumb.png

The patented Speakerhat technology will one day allow multiple Speakerhat users to listen to a single audio stream in perfect synchronization.

ONE day, but not TOday.

Bluetooth to multiple speakers has many names ... AmpMe, TemPow, UltimateEars, AirPlay 2 ... maybe they're using one of these non-standard, competing protocols? If Atari wants to differentiate themselves (or at least live up to a promised selling point), they should release this technology they've been touting. The rest of the world isn't standing still.

All speakerhats are on sale for $99 right now, including the limited Blade Runner and Pong hats. Since I'm not PowerDubs, I'll wait until they're closer to "free" or are offered sans speakers. If you buy one, please post a photo of yourself wearing it in this thread, so we can all enjoy the Atarilife.

• Like 6