IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Just put a Raspberry Pi in a 2600 cart with the pins remaining so it can still be inserted into the 2600. Interface the joystick with the Pi. A separate power cord and HDMI cord may be necessary. Doesn't even have to be bug-free, because Wi-Fi. Simple as that! Can I has Indiegogo now?

post-39941-0-17574200-1525881562.jpg

I have no idea what I'm talking about, but that never stopped me before!

• Like 9

Can't you already watch The Empire Strikes Back on Netflix with the 2600??

star-wars.gif

That's The Empire Strikes Back on 2600 without Netflix.

icon_dunce.gif The Empire Strikes Back has never been on Netflix anywhere except Argentina and Brazil.

Disney (who owns LucasFilm) is going to have its own streaming service by late 2019. It's expected they'll move most of their stuff there, except for the Marvel shows that started on Netflix.

Atari V¢S (the new one) is supposed to launch in Spring 2019. Rinkydink crowdfunded things are always late.

WHO will get there first?

WILL The Empire Strikes Back ever run on the Atari V¢S (the new one)??

Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen!

giphy.gif

• Like 2

For Atari's sake, they probably will want to support as many streaming services as possible including Disney's one and all other scattered services that brings the Internet back to the 1990's in terms of there no longer is one place to rule them all.

Just out of curiosity..

For the 3 of you that might actually buy one, how important is the Wood-grain Vs the Black unit?

LOL. Super funny AND this is what Atari needs. What is that? Ask questions. Find out what people want. Don't have dumb press releases. Ask how many fire buttons should the joystick have (NOT 1). Take polls. Have contests. Do research first and then when the product is ready then do the press releases.

• Like 1

I'm not definitely not buying one, but I'm definitely not going to pre-order one. If this thing ever does see the light of day and I decide to get one, I'd go woodgrain.

Although I hear everyone who pre-orders gets a free t-shirt!

20180509-1.jpg

I still have the Atari Jaguar black Tshirt that came with the system. It's a medium so I can't even get it over my head. But yeah, A t-shirt is a good idea.

Random aside: for all the talk of this being a streaming box, has there been any confirmation that Atari SE has contacted Netflix, Hulu, etc., to port their software? Granted, this isn't a challenging step.... but I can't recall actually seeing that they've done this.

It's a open Linux machine so there you go.

Is there a Linux Kodi version? How about preinstalling Kodi with a setup outside of Europe (the EU has ruled them illegal). If you don't know what Kodi is then look it up. Include search engines like exodus and morpheus and as many apps as possible. Heck, they even have a Nintendo NES emulator on it so just plug in a USB joystick and play any game you want.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Linux

They sell kodi boxes preinstalled with everthing at the Flea Market for $300 (or $200 if you know the guy). And man it has every TV show ever made. It has every movie ever released. There are like 1000 TV stations from all around the world. Thousands of TV stations. Emulators. It's amazing. The key is to get it setup before you buy. Having to figure that crap out would suck. One company is 'Free Stream TV. They sell them on KIII boxes (with a small keyboard and remote) with Android running their own configuration. They have Kodi on it with dozens of apps preinstalled. Include that, and they would sell them at everywhere.

This is Atari's killer app. The VCSII with Kodi.

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos
  • Like 1

"Atari" won't have them set up with anything less than 100% legal software, though.

Kodi by itself is nothing special.

sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kodi
  • Like 1

"Atari" won't have them set up with anything less than 100% legal software, though.

Kodi by itself is nothing special.

sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kodi

That doesn't cut it. No one want to try to install Kodi. It's not just Kodi but hundreds of other engines and apps. Installing Kodi is a pain in the butt and few people can do all of the addons/apps. Having something like free stream TV is awesome. It's all ready to go in the box with hundreds of free apps. The apps are free so anyone can put them on the device. Free Stream TV gets around the laws by 1 simple thing: nothing is saved. it's all in memory. (In Europe they found it to be illegal). You can get every TV show and movie from HBO, Netflix, Amazon, Youtube and everyone else. The servers are around the world so they are hard to shut down. Once one is, free stream TV changes the apps with an update to new ones. This is the killer app VCSII needs.

• Like 2

I'll say it again

With Atari V¢S, you get Atari Vault. If they include anything along the lines of what you're wishing for, I'll eat a SpeakerHat with Billy Mitchell Hot Sauce. Atari SA can't afford to be taken to court for copyright infringement.

No one needs "Atari" to set up a Linux-based set top box to do streaming and other apps.

• Like 2

"Free Stream TV gets around the laws by 1 simple thing: nothing is saved. it's all in memory."

No. Copying data to a computer's local RAM is still a copy. The U.S. Courts ruled on this over 20 years ago.

From MAI v. Peak:

'Peak argues that this loading of copyrighted software does not constitute a copyright violation because the copy created in RAM is not fixed. However, by showing that Peak loads the software into the RAM and is then able to view the system error log and diagnose the problem with the computer, MAI has adequately shown that the representation created in the RAM is sufficiently permanent or stable to permit it to be perceived, reproduced, or otherwise communicated for a period of more than transitory duration.'

Source: http://digital-law-online.info/lpdi1.0/treatise20.html

• Like 1

They sell kodi boxes preinstalled with everthing at the Flea Market for $300 (or $200 if you know the guy). And man it has every TV show ever made. It has every movie ever released. There are like 1000 TV stations from all around the world. Thousands of TV stations. Emulators. It's amazing. The key is to get it setup before you buy. Having to figure that crap out would suck. One company is 'Free Stream TV. They sell them on KIII boxes (with a small keyboard and remote) with Android running their own configuration. They have Kodi on it with dozens of apps preinstalled. Include that, and they would sell them at everywhere.

So if this is something that's already available, and at a flea market no less, what's the point of the AtariBox then if this is what it should do?

• Like 2

So if this is something that's already available, and at a flea market no less, what's the point of the AtariBox then if this is what it should do?

The AtariBox creates a multi-tiered user experience by embracing brand familiarity and strategically implementing key elements in the checklist of the digital consumer lifestyle. The microconsole is attractively positioned in the marketplace to appeal to vintage retro enthusiast casual gamers in the price-conscious luxury item demographic. Ataribox is a modular all-in-one solution that offers a revolutionary way of harnessing the power of your entertainment.
  • Like 14

Thanks! I'd have given you a 100% on that response but had to take off 5 points for not utilizing the phrase "by leveraging" somewhere in it. But, hey, you've sold me on it so... where do I sign up?!

Thanks! I'd have given you a 100% on that response but had to take off 5 points for not utilizing the phrase "by leveraging" somewhere in it. But, hey, you've sold me on it so... where do I sign up?!

Keep checking social media!

• Like 2

Emulators on windows are already available. Linux is available. Netflix, youtube and hulu apps are freely available too. Atari wants those to be on the VCSII so this is just preloading more software. And geez, why can't google, Netflix, Disney or facebook with big pockets just buy up Atari? The name is worth something. Netflix could offer a free gane a month to every subscriber (or Disney once they take Fox's share in Hulu).

• Like 1

I wonder if it could possibly beat my setup.

Alexa: "Turn Netflix On"

Alexa: "Turn Amazon On"

Alexa: "Turn Hulu On"

Which, turns on the amp, switches to the right input, then turns on the 4K smart TV and selects one of those services. :lol:

• Like 1

Can you tell Alexa to turn Atari on as well?

Yes, if I wanted to. I can make it control anything.

Al's setup even dims the lights to the right mood, when he tells Alexa to turn on Netflix. ;)

• Like 2

The AtariBox creates a multi-tiered user experience by embracing brand familiarity and strategically implementing key elements in the checklist of the digital consumer lifestyle. The microconsole is attractively positioned in the marketplace to appeal to vintage retro enthusiast casual gamers in the price-conscious luxury item demographic. Ataribox is a modular all-in-one solution that offers a revolutionary way of harnessing the power of your entertainment.

Do you kiss your mother with that mouth, Bossig?

• Like 2

Just out of curiosity..

For the 3 of you that might actually buy one, how important is the Wood-grain Vs the Black unit?

I like the nostalgia wood design. The Onyx Box looks dull like the PS4 and the Xbox One. I think the Xbox One doesnt have a design at all. I am glad the Xbox came up with the white color. Thats when i bought it.

I was seriously thinking to buy in addition the Atari Onyx Box and leave it in the package just in case 20 years later there is some interest by collectors because i dont think the Onyx Version will be sold as close as much as the wooden box.

With so much hate against atari you have to admit that the wooden console is a highly fresh relief with the other boring console designs for the past 8 years. Even the PS2 was a boring black rectangle thing to put on the shelf under the tv.

I honestly think that even with so much refusal against this new Atari VCS Console that if this would/will be sold in shops, markets and online (including ebay) that a lot of the thread participants will buy it.

Its just the carefulness against crowdfunding purchases because of negative experience in the past. And i can fully understand it.

Lets see how the crowdfunding goes and if it will be succesful. To be honest: I am very disappointed about the developments in the past 6 months and how unprofessionell this was handled by the company until now. A lot of potential was wasted and the decisions and the delays made me also curious what is going on behind the curtains if they are doing correct work.

With the right politics this could have been an instant classic and a big success but as time goes by it looks more and more of another console that hits the market and disappears soon.

To answer your question: As a Gamer for almost 40 years i am very curious and I will buy the wooden console for 100% sure and i think a lot of other of you people will buy it too offside of the crowdfunding if it is possible.

The society of today is something strange for me. It doesnt matter if it is a Game, a Movie or whatever. There is always much nagging and grumping and beef. But at the same time the people are buying, watching and consuming like crazy.

I remember how much beef there was when the Commercial Video for the Nintendo Switch came out. Nobody liked the party people in the trailer, nobody liked the extra small Controllers, the flamboyant colors of the Console, the short battery for the Handheld, the low performance of the System compared to the PS4 and Xbox One, no Super Mario Game with Release,

But When it hit the stores the people went crazy and everybody bought one.

There was the (phenomenal) Zelda Game (with a cell shade Grafic to cover the lack of the console performance) which was enough reason to buy the whole thing which is very odd to me because it was a pretty costly investment with a very uncertain future. Nobody knew how Mario would turn out and Nintendo was in the middle of a big desaster with the WII U and the company boss had died recently who was responsible for the success of the past. So there was not really much of a hope for a good console with good Games.The other Games for the Switch Release were not really great Games, he 1-2-3 Switch Game was even not more of a Demo.

But the people wouldnt even wait for a few months just to see which development the Nintendo Switch will have.

Same with the Playstation VR Headset. Even today there is so much refusal and bad comments about PS VR. I am still wondering who bought the 1 Million Units within the half year. The behaviour of the consumers is very strange what i am witnessing.

And also same with the Movies: As soon the Trailers are coming out everybody is whining and bitching about the special effects, the story, the actors, the director. But when the Movies are coming out they even hit the 1 Billion USD mark.

Lets see what will happen with the Atari VCS. I am witnessing this thread and will not wonder about how many units will sell although with so much hate and rejection.

Fact is: There are no specs but so many people have already judged that this is not a good thing which is very odd to me. I learned in school and from my parents that you can make your opinion only after you have the facts and especially your own personal impression for example of a finished product.

• Like 2

Fact is: This is a joke to date because there are no specs, no apparent marketable plan, no identified audience, and no demonstrated skills in marketing, engineering, development, or anything else that anyone knowledgeable of such things can discern. This is a dumpster fire so far, and is rightfully being mocked for it. Even, you appear to be picking up on that a bit.

• Like 6