IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I suppose Night Driver is mobile only? While it is only rated 1.8 of 5 on Google Play, it has a whopping 2.4 of 5 on App Store. For a console version, it probably would be a great VCS exclusive game.

You gotta love that most of the people clamoring for updates and remakes of the classics are such big fans that they don't even realize that we've been getting updates and remakes for years and that by and large, they haven't been very good.

• Like 4

I'm struck by, "AtariVCS Gameband is not our product and we are no longer associated with it."

That doesn't bode well for the Atari Edition of Gameband, and it's more information than either The Historian and/or AgentDave7 have been able to provide, despite both of their inside information and NDAs. I guess it's not a violation of an NDA when a licensing partner is fed up with you and dumps your ass.

post-2410-0-35095600-1526994500.png

• Like 3

I'm struck by, "AtariVCS Gameband is not our product and we are no longer associated with it."

That doesn't bode well for the Atari Edition of Gameband, and it's more information than either The Historian and/or AgentDave7 have been able to provide, despite both of their inside information and NDAs. I guess it's not a violation of an NDA when a licensing partner is fed up with you and dumps your ass.

Well... Gameband was never "their" product and the Atari licensing agreement, to the best of my knowledge, is still in place. That was Atari SA's only role, as the licensor. Just like that hat that shall not be named.

The only connection between the products was really Feargal, as a person, working on both. There were always legal entities separating the two products.

Well... Gameband was never "their" product and the Atari licensing agreement, to the best of my knowledge, is still in place. That was Atari SA's only role, as the licensor. Just like that hat that shall not be named.

I figured it was something like that. It would've been more responsible of them had they just pointed out it was a licensing agreement. Granted, I haven't followed it closely and I don't know if Atari made themselves look more involved than they actually were.

It's worth noting again that the Gameband is on the more "reputable?" crowdfunding platform, and look how that's turning out.

Indiegogo is where bad idea goes to die, as they should, but not before taking hapless backers down with them.

thecrowdfundersgraphic-1.jpg1.jpg2.jpg

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 7

The only connection between the products was really Feargal, as a person, working on both. There were always legal entities separating the two products.

I dunno..."We've had knock-backs on several fronts. Personal, technical, financial, staffing, and more." looks like it would cover being dumped by your license holders after irate backers started flooding them with phone calls when they've been unable to get FMTwo to peek out of their foxhole in any way at all. The fallout from FMTwo's failure is contaminating the license holders now and they would have been wise to sever any relationship. Besides, Atari SA firing Feargal and acknowledging publicly that they didn't like him is pretty clear evidence they want nothing to do with him. If you're gettin' dissed by Atari SA, you've got it bad. Next stop on the path to rock bottom is Chris Cardillo announcing a license deal with ya.

Update: This is more definitive. Now their post clearly indicates the license has been revoked. Seems they went to the trouble to clearly state that to further distance themselves from Feargal. Gameband is dead now for all intents and purposes. I wonder when anyone will tell their backers. I doubt either of the Dave's will do them that service.....

gallery_60562_2139_48457.jpg

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 7

Update: This is more definitive. Now their post clearly indicates the license has been revoked. Seems they went to the trouble to clearly state that to further distance themselves from Feargal. Gameband is dead now for all intents and purposes. I wonder when anyone will tell their backers. I doubt either of the Dave's will do them that service.....

Jean Bernard doesn’t seem to work for Atari SA, so I'm not sure if I would call that "definitive".

Jean Bernard doesn’t seem to work for Atari SA, so I'm not sure if I would call that "definitive".

Look again. The AtariVCS Facebook account updated their prior post to add "The license has been revoked." right about 45 minutes after you came in here to say it was still in place to the best of your knowledge. Purty definitive.

Hi Atari Sa....how's it goin?? :thumbsup:

gallery_60562_2139_51859.jpg

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 5

Look again. The AtariVCS Facebook account updated their prior post to add "The license has been revoked." right about the same time you came in here to say it was still in place to the best of your knowledge. Purty definitive.

Well that's news to me... might be news to the Gameband folks as well...

Edit ---

Just so I'm clear, that post just might cause some legal issues for Atari SA. As I said to the best of my knowledge, the agreements are still in place, admittedly I'm not really in the know to that level.

Edited by The Historian

Ya think?? In all honesty, the decent thing to do would be to go over to their comment section immediately and share the news with your fellow backers. They're getting nothing but propaganda from your co-community manager AgentDave7.

I suppose Night Driver is mobile only? While it is only rated 1.8 of 5 on Google Play, it has a whopping 2.4 of 5 on App Store. For a console version, it probably would be a great VCS exclusive game.

You have Night Driver in the Swedish (Apple iOS) App Store? We don't have it in the USA store. It landed like a wet fart in the Touch Arcade forums when it launched in Canada.

Furthermore, the Android version doesn't seem to be doing well, despite being a free download.

post-2410-0-96476900-1527012600.png

The "Installs" count gives a rough order of magnitude of how many players there are. Night Driver says "100+," in contrast to some of their other more popular games.

500,000 for Atari Greatest Hits (free)

5M for Roller Coaster Tycoon Touch (free)

10M for Roller Coaster Tycoon 4 (free)

69M for Roller Coaster Tycoon Classic ($5.99)

Conversion rates for free apps vary, but even if Night Driver for Android were hooking 10% of its players into paying something, we're still talking about a user base in the double digits (between 1 and 99). That Atari Greatest Hits app was a "remaster" to run on later versions of Android, so they probably had better numbers with the previous edition. That game's Facebook presence was cute. Pong cakes, occasional giveaways.

It's interesting that the only straight-up paid game (no free demo) is the one that did the best.

Just so I'm clear, that post just might cause some legal issues for Atari SA. As I said to the best of my knowledge, the agreements are still in place, admittedly I'm not really in the know to that level.

That's not clear. What does the best of your knowledge have to do with anything? Also, what clarity do you add by stating that Atari's post might cause some legal issues for them when you admit to knowing nothing about anything of substance?

I'm really trying to understand your motivations and intent here.

Have you shared any of this with your fellow backers yet? Do you have a line to Feargal in Barcelona or whatever rock he's hiding under?

Your boy AgentDave7 is still over at Kickstarter trying to convince irate backers that FMTwo is still in business and they may be rolling out the newer Qualcomm chip. Also, everything in Gameband world is just sunshine, rainbows and unicorn farts according to AgentDave7.

• Like 3

You have Night Driver in the Swedish (Apple iOS) App Store?

Absolutely no clue. I just used Google on my PC to visit the general App Store as it can been seen in a web browser to get some ratings. But yes, the other games have far more downloads but may also exist on other formats while the new Night Driver might be a bit more exclusive. Not that exclusive and good in any way are related to eachother...

Have you shared any of this with your fellow backers yet?

No, but I'm sure someone will.

Do you have a line to Feargal in Barcelona or whatever rock he's hiding under?

Yup, got him listed in my phone right after Elvis.

Your boy AgentDave7 is still over at Kickstarter trying to convince irate backers that FMTwo is still in business and they may be rolling out the newer Qualcomm chip. Also, everything in Gameband world is just sunshine, rainbows and unicorn farts according to AgentDave7.

He not my boy, but you know that. And he's allowed to keep the faith, even though it aggravates the stuffing out of you.

Jberel, you've got no dog in this fight so I'm not sure why you get your panties so waddled up about all this. You are losing nothing and gaining nothing, no matter how this rolls out so try not to let it stress you so much. If Gameband fails I'm out a little bit, because I did back it. And I feel like anyone who loses money on it should be upset.

Personally, I don't think I'll need you to get upset for me.

Edited by The Historian

Absolutely no clue. I just used Google on my PC to visit the general App Store as it can been seen in a web browser to get some ratings. But yes, the other games have far more downloads but may also exist on other formats while the new Night Driver might be a bit more exclusive. Not that exclusive and good in any way are related to eachother...

I see what you were looking at. When you open that link on an iOS device, it says "not available in your store. Switch to the Canadian app store?" It's probably in "soft launch" while they figure out the monetization balance (or drop it entirely). I don't have an Android device that is compatible with it. Nobody likes it.

post-2410-0-58917200-1527018948_thumb.png

Unrelated: this.

post-2410-0-40188200-1527018826_thumb.png

• Like 9

Some of us are still old fashioned enough enough to get upset with crooks. Others are apparently happy to actively or passively assist them.

I think Racerx said it best. I'm not upset, but I am indignant at posers and fraudsters poisoning the well of a community I share interests with. Back in the day when these snake oil salesman came to town they were quite literally tarred and feathered before being run out of town. Let all the other amateur business tycoons and brand squatters know, we're not all going to lap up your thinly veiled attempts to profit from our interests through some piddly appeal to nostalgia when you can't demonstrate the slightest business competency. I don't have to defend anyone or be upset for anyone else. As a wise huckster once said, "my comments are my own."

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 7

Here's the first Kickstarter I ever backed, WALdok for iPhone/iPod. It funded in June 2011.

The creator's last update was April 2015. He took $76,491 for this project from 760 backers.

Update (finally). Best news so far.

26 Comments10 likes

Hello my ever patient backers!

It's been a while since the last update, I know, I did not want any more updates of no action until we hit major milestones. So...

We passed ATS testing this afternoon - on ALL devices (iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, iPod touch 5, iPod nano 7).

Since the end of last year, I have also been going back and forth dozens of times with our manufacturer, getting the new PCB board made, adjusting minor/major molding and functionality issues, all of which I didn't think were major enough for updates on this god forsaken project.

The ATS testing was also hindered (aside from the design/PCB changes) by our engineers finding out that we needed a "USB protocol analyzer" hooked up into the loop for the ATS testing. This took another couples of weeks, after we got the new samples, to acquire this hand soap sized device ($1200! for a day of use).

This morning was the most work I've done on this project for months, I finally had all the parts and pieces. First I had to run to BestBuy to purchase all of the above devices (Full price! Thanks backer$!), run all of the tests on them one by one, while planning on sending it out to UL by today (our assigned lab is in Taiwan).

As I was about to finally pack the two samples to ship to UL, I noticed the heavy iPhones were slanting forward while they are docked (and not against the back wall). Completely unacceptable. So I had to take them apart and jerry-rig it with stronger tiny springs to spring-load them backwards. It works well but it was an infuriating experience of hours to work in that tiny space trying to set the springs without snapping off components on the board (those were pretty strong springs). Twice.

By 5:30 pm, the samples were packed and ready for shipping at the UPS store.

Now we wait to see if we get approved from UL for Apple's "Accessory Compliance Verification."

More to come. Promise.

Hern

Then ... Nothing for 3 years.

Now people are posting things like this. Their money is gone.

post-2410-0-45778500-1527023858_thumb.png

• Like 4

Look again. The AtariVCS Facebook account updated their prior post to add "The license has been revoked." right about 45 minutes after you came in here to say it was still in place to the best of your knowledge. Purty definitive.

But... but... it's still featured on their website, YouTube video, and both crowdfunding sites. That means I can still get one, right? Because I still want to order one to go with my SpeakerHat™.

post-2641-0-39510500-1527029284.jpg

Hey @atarisa, this looks super litigious, can't wait for the cease and desist! #FungalMac #BreakMeOffAPieceOfThoseKitKatProfits ataribox.com

• Like 11