IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Meaning what, exactly?

That IndieGogo isn't messing around, which is bad news for shysters?

Or that the Vega is somehow different from Ataribox?

well, kind of what i meant is that i wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if the Ataribox ends up being like the Vega- i apologize for being vague. :)

• Like 3

I was going to say "Bravo" to Indiegogo, but from what I can tell this stems from a successful lawsuit a backer pursued. You're probably more up-to-date on all this than I am, but basically the judge ruled it was a sales contract due to the wording. Sounds like there's your precedent for Atari and its sales-like wording*.

Too bad it only took two years, two months and a lawsuit to get to this point.

*I'm not a lawyer but I play one on the Internets.

• Like 1

In his rambling appearance on "GamerTag Radio," the Atari rep explicitly said they chose IGG for their focus on "preorder" in addition to crowdfunding. He wasn't super clear, of course.

I agree they could be hoisted on their own petards if they're very late or otherwise fail to meet expectations.

I think they'll deliver the AtariBox, I just think it's a poor concept and likely not to be what the "useful computer" that backers thought they were getting.

• Like 1

On a serious note:

Last year there was a short Pac-Man Teaser.

It said coming soon with no more detail at all. But nothing came after that until this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZlYcS3V3vA

I wonder if this has to do with the new Atari VCS.

What do you think?

I really doubt it, and here's why:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c7lTAcFblhg

On a serious note:

Last year there was a short Pac-Man Teaser.

It said coming soon with no more detail at all. But nothing came after that until this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZlYcS3V3vA

I wonder if this has to do with the new Atari VCS.

What do you think?

Well this year old 12 second clip that shows no gameplay, doesn't have a developer attached to it, is from a random gaming channel and doesn't mention Atari at all seals it, this is the greatest thing ever!

• Like 5

Between stuff like this, the Sigfox speculation, virtual reality bitcoin whatever rubbish and unsolicited financial expertise offered on a crap penny stock, I just gotta ask....what r u guys smoking. Really, cuz I want some of dat.

12a88e1acb1fc17167e7172dfc0a6d16.png

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 3

OMG more spam from Atari! I'm getting 5 a day now.

Here is there latest crowd funding campaign. AND WHY THE F--K DID THEY SEND ME THIS CRAP ANYWAYS? I'm into women. What are they thinking? Just because I am on their developers list does not mean they can keep on spamming me over and over about crap. It's been 1 screwup after another for the last year with Atari. they just can't seem to get anything right. (Oh geez, I just opened a can of worms)

post-25700-0-06366800-1528332130.jpg

post-25700-0-95701900-1528332135.jpg

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos

That's interesting ... it's another StartEngine "investment opportunity."

https://www.startengine.com/lgbt-media-inc

Once again, "Atari" and friends are between 5 and 10 years behind the curve. The time to launch a new social media presence has long past, and it's not like there's an unserved market here.

Like their tone-deaf "Atari VCS" campaign that wouldn't know a good game if it were dropped on its head, or it's fuzzy-headed cryptocurrency flailing, this is buzzword-heavy, and appears to be written from the outsider's perspective of what the LGBT community might want.

Our Success So Far

While LGBTQutie started off as a website, we quickly transitioned to a mobile-first platform, when we realized that that's the option our users most craved. While we started out with success on our own, our partnership with Atari has put us over the edge and given us the ability to scale. As part of our partnership with Atari, we acquired PrideFest (now re-branded as QutieLife) an interactive game celebrating LGBTQ culture and pride. This will eventually be utilized as an onboarding platform for the LGBTQutie app.

If there's any question about their motivation, this lays it to rest:

Key Metrics

• Total App users: 60,000
  • 80% retention rate
  • 90% monthly active user rate
  • With Marketing: 4,000 new users per month
  • Average Customer acquisition cost $1.25
  • 70,000 Social Media Followers
  • Company featured in 35 editorials including: Huffington post, Inc. Magazine, GO! Magazine, Instinct, Pink News, Engadget, AlleyWatch
Our Revenue Model
  • Upgraded Premium Subscription
  • Advertising: (Sponsored Blogs, Static/Video Ads, Affiliates, Email blasts)
  • Sponsored Pop – Up Events
  • In - App Token Purchases
Our Target Demographic
  • We especially target LGBTQ millenials between the ages of 18-35.
  • LGBTQ people comprise 10-20% of the overall population. (Williams Institute: Gates, 2011)
  • The LGBTQ market has over $900 billion dollars in buying power (Witeck-Combs, 2014)

With only 60,000 users, they're not looking to conquer the world, just keep their project going and maybe get enough attention to grow a bit. Sounds a lot like "Atari."

• Like 1

I'm 25. I can barely get people my age to try out a classic like River Raid that you can download free from Google Play or the iOS App Store on their smartphone, and if they do they usually end up telling me it's stupid or gay or something. I show them an Atari Flashback and they laugh at the idea of paying that kind of money to play 35+ year old games and say they can play all those games, or much better ones, for free on their computer or their phone.

I don't even want to know what kind of reaction I'd get if I told them about the new VCS and the price and the fact the only titles so far are Atari Vault and (supposedly) Tempest 4000. The Atari name holds no value or meaning for them at all, just an ancient, old Video game system from long ago. And there are actually people that have no idea as to who or what Atari was/is.

Go to Gamestop on a launch night for a Call of Duty game and show the kids Goldeneye on the Nintendo 64 or Wolfenstein 3D or Doom and they'll most likely have no interest. I dare you to and to tell me the reactions you get from people under 20.

It'll probably be a similar reaction as to if you showed them these early 90s Taco Bell Commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c9OSo450Ec&t=23s

What I find funny is all these new systems will not work in 20 years, yet my Atari Jr will continue to do so.

In modern gaming you don't 'own' anything anymore. Once the OS goes your games are gone. Look at what's happening to the Wii eshop.

• Like 4

That's interesting ... it's another StartEngine "investment opportunity."

https://www.startengine.com/lgbt-media-inc

Once again, "Atari" and friends are between 5 and 10 years behind the curve. The time to launch a new social media presence has long past, and it's not like there's an unserved market here.

Like their tone-deaf "Atari VCS" campaign that wouldn't know a good game if it were dropped on its head, or it's fuzzy-headed cryptocurrency flailing, this is buzzword-heavy, and appears to be written from the outsider's perspective of what the LGBT community might want.

If there's any question about their motivation, this lays it to rest:

With only 60,000 users, they're not looking to conquer the world, just keep their project going and maybe get enough attention to grow a bit. Sounds a lot like "Atari."

Did Stella just come out of the closet?

I was advised to read thru the last 30 days of this thread, but I dont have the time.

Anyone feel like giving me a bullet point recap who knows this thread well starting with:

New Atari console that Atari box thread created

and

John Hancock shows interest in what it could be (love ya John)

and so on and so forth.

With all these recent developments and back & forths Id love to be caught up to speed, even a quick general overview would be great, thanks all. ?

Secret Perk is still active, though they may turn it off when business starts.

Here's the Backerkit link.

I can only see "number left" for the early birds, so I'm assuming they started with the rounded-up numbers found here. Then I added the last known numbers before they changed Early Bird to limited quantities to get a rough, if slightly low, total for each. Let me know if I missed anything.

1801 Woody sets

360* Onyx earlybird (318+42)

682* Onyx early set (637+45)

214* Onyx all in set (91+123)

3448 Woody all in set

1451 Secret Perk

7956 total console kits (10,314 total backers)

Previous numbers:

1690 Woody sets

318 Onyx earlybird

637 Onyx early set

1 Onyx full price [REMOVED?]

1 Onyx full price set [REMOVED?]

91 Onyx all in set

2993 Woody all in set

1409 Special Perk

7138 total console kits (9242 total backers)

Backerkit tracking link.

An official explanation on Backerkit's prediction and trending models.

Speaking of Tempest 4000, I thought this was interesting. Llamasoft has not developed a Linux port and has no insider knowledge of the AtariBox whatsoever. Considering how outspoken their main developer has been about other issues (sample -- you can probably imagine much Italian waving of hands), I don't think this is the NDA telling them to shut up. He's also stated that it could just be running in WINE, as it's not a graphically intense game.

The Steam screens we've seen could be the "Big Picture" from a streaming device, not running natively.

The Tempest 4000 demo we've seen could have had something other than AtariBox driving it.

I'm guessing the backers don't know, or don't care.

BTW latest tally of systems only (count the controllers yourself if you care -- click on "back it" to get the current tally)

1549 Woody sets

244 Onyx earlybird

566 Onyx early set

1 Onyx full price

1 Onyx full price set

149 Onyx all in set

2594 Woody all in set

5104 total

edit: and maybe another 1400 "hidden perks?" Should they be included or counted separately?

• Like 2

Wasn't it PrideFest that enforced the message that LGBT people better keep a low profile or otherwise get beaten down? While that unfortunately probably is true in many parts of the world, it might not be the message a LGBT friendly company like Atari wants to be, is supposed to convey in specifically designed games for the community.

It would be like Atari makes new versions of their retro games, with the hidden message that retro games are lame anyway and that your cool friends will laugh at you for playing those 35+ year old games. A double message, both encouraging you to replay those old games and at the same time telling you it is wrong.

Last year, Atari sold Pridefest to LGBT Media--the maker of this LGBTQutie app. A partnership was part of the deal, but who knows what that entails? Maybe it was as simple as LGBT Media being able to have the Atari brand associated with them, like on StartEngine. The press release seems to indicate as much: "... supported by strategic partner and iconic entertainment brand Atari®".

Atari gets virtually free advertising as a bonus for selling their game rights.

I was advised to read thru the last 30 days of this thread, but I dont have the time.

Anyone feel like giving me a bullet point recap who knows this thread well starting with:

New Atari console that Atari box thread

Per your request....

monkeyfuckingafootball.jpg?resize=300%2C

• Like 8