IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

"Youtubers love to rant up a good conspiracy guys"

And newly owned shells of their former selves love to lie to their customers and take them for all they're worth without building any actual hardware.

Pretty hard to say it's a "Conspiracy" when your video states it's running on the VCS ... then you admit it's the PC version. It doesn't matter if you "expect" it to come or not. You lied. I hope people start to withdraw their backing. This is critical thinking by educated customers, Atari. Not laser beams coming out of Russian spy's tits.

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 6

This might be a tricky one: When the game is running in the first level, it reads"Computer Space" at the lower left corner. I don't know anything about Tempest 4000, but could it be that names of popular retro systems and arcade games are used as level designators?

(Full disclosure: I'm very sceptic about this whole project.)

Yes, that's typical of the Llamasoft house style. I thought it was cute that it said "video computer system," but it seems more likely now that it was just a coincidence. Or maybe even the tail wagging the dog with AtariBox using that as a reason they chose the system name.

It doesn't sound good when a company makes ad hominem attacks to discredit someone. "Youtubers love to rant up a good conspiracy guys. That's how they get their views."

Don't confess guilt; don't admit something wasn't done right. Discredit the Youtubers (and "haters") instead.

I can't imagine the campaign getting tanked though--at least, not by people pulling out. I'm a bit surprised Atari's even going on the defense here ( edited to add: since it makes them look guilty).

• Like 5

As they've said themselves, "it's just the beginning!"

That didn't happen.

And if it did, it wasn't that bad.

And if it was, that's not a big deal. <--- WE ARE HERE

And if it is, that's not my fault.

And if it was, I didn't mean it.

And if I did...

You deserved it.

• Like 8

It doesn't sound good when a company makes ad hominem attacks to discredit someone. "Youtubers love to rant up a good conspiracy guys. That's how they get their views."

Don't confess guilt; don't admit something wasn't done right. Discredit the Youtubers (and "haters") instead.

I can't imagine the campaign getting tanked though--at least, not by people pulling out. I'm a bit surprised Atari's even going on the defense here ( edited to add: since it makes them look guilty).

Where's Mike Kennedy calling it "drunken commentary"?

• Like 6

So do we have an over/under on how long it's going to take them to go "full trump" and start yelling FAKE NEWS!

Political opinions aside, if you honestly think the news is honest in nature, I feel for you.

Second, why are we talking about politics in a 2600 section?

Edited by MotoRacer

I get the feeling that the money on Indiegogo was mostly given by Atari SA himself.

It could be to create a Hype or convince the people to go for it too.

I am getting more and more concerned about the outcome next year.

It will be either a flop or really the beginning of something very big with a lot more to come.

Of course i hope for the second.

I get the feeling that the money on Indiegogo was mostly given by Atari SA himself.

It could be to create a Hype or convince the people to go for it too.

I am getting more and more concerned about the outcome next year.

It will be either a flop or really the beginning of something very big with a lot more to come.

Of course i hope for the second.

If there were odds in Vega$ for this, it would be heavily on the former, not the later.

• Like 1

How do we invest against the project at this point? I'm reminded of the folks that bought insurance policies against the housing market crash. They were able to profit from all the boneheads extending loans that were likely to default. I see similarities here. Smaller to be sure, but just as ill-informed and inevitable.

• Like 2

How do we invest against the project at this point? I'm reminded of the folks that bought insurance policies against the housing market crash. They were able to profit from all the boneheads extending loans that were likely to default. I see similarities here. Smaller to be sure, but just as ill-informed and inevitable.

It actually offends me that these guys have made more money selling *nothing* than I've made selling *something*.

• Like 12

The problem with the console is that most consoles exist to sell software, with manufacturers even opting to lose money on every console in hopes of banking on licencing fees for games to be put on their system.

This is just trying to sell consoles. I find it ironic, as they're clearly marketing this to collectors, and technically each modern console is more of a collector's dream than this, as they actually sell games (physical or otherwise....).

• Like 1

There needs to be a term for this dubious crap meant to cash in on nostalgia... retrosploitation.

But what about the useful idiots who happily hand over their money these schemes? Pretty sure there's a whole Yiddish dictionary definition for everyone concerned, but "schmuck" will do in this case.

https://forward.com/culture/127941/etiquette-for-schmucks-schlemiels-schlimazels-and/

Willful ignorance is a mechanism that actually protects the brain from becoming unable to function in situations that it just can’t handle. An individual can never accept its whole own reality being meaningless or making no sense, as that would make it impossible to act towards any goal. Forcing an individual into such a state has psychologically been found to be comparable to the death of the higher developed parts of the brain from an outside perspective.

This means that the morally right way to treat such individuals is not to look down upon, ridicule or attack them, but to help them to be able to accept reality again. This is most easily accomplished by offering a way to transition without having to give up their own pride and sense of reality, by starting out with the individual's own model of reality, and then slowly walking the way towards actual observed reality by fitting every piece inside of it in a sensible fashion that offers improved abilities to predict the future (which should not be hard, since that is by definition guaranteed).

Unfortunately, there often comes a time where entrenched willful ignorance just cannot be tolerated or babied anymore and it's better for society (and the "victim") to just buck up and force the truth down their gullet. It's often up to the rationalist to evaluate whether the cause that's being fought for is too urgent to spare the feelings/self-esteem of the willfully ignorant. Beware the backfire effect though.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Willful_ignorance

• Like 1

Alexkeaton, you paid for two consoles and perhaps accessories, didn't you? Mind if I ask why you still support the campaign despite your stated greivances?

Hope and Support

I hope for a System which i dream about. That means playing old Retro Games and having also new modern Versions of these Games. (like the modern version of Crash Bandicoot)

And i really want a decent System now where i can copy all my Emulators (Vectrex, Commodore 64, Super Nintendo etc) on an a console with a real nice design and also use it for Netflix and WWE Network.

I want to support it because i want that console to happen.

If nobody supports it in the first place and instead everybody is waiting until it is on retail in the shops then i dont think Atari can publish this console.

Their financial abilities are limited to bring a console out like Microsoft or Sony. So they need the support via crowdfunding in the first place.