IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Their financial abilities are limited to bring a console out like Microsoft or Sony. So they need the support via crowdfunding in the first place.

Thanks for the response. Didn't Atari say they have the money for the project and are only using Indiegogo for the "crowd" part of crowdfunding (i.e., building a userbase)?

• Like 4

You can literally go to any wal-mart right now and buy that system, for $300, from your choice of three manufacturers. Or for more, you can build it yourself.

Atari is bringing you nothing other than a pretty box. And I, personally, don't even think it's that pretty.

• Like 6

Hope and Support

I hope for a System which i dream about. That means playing old Retro Games and having also new modern Versions of these Games. (like the modern version of Crash Bandicoot)

And i really want a decent System now where i can copy all my Emulators (Vectrex, Commodore 64, Super Nintendo etc) on an a console with a real nice design and also use it for Netflix and WWE Network.

I want to support it because i want that console to happen.

If nobody supports it in the first place and instead everybody is waiting until it is on retail in the shops then i dont think Atari can publish this console.

Their financial abilities are limited to bring a console out like Microsoft or Sony. So they need the support via crowdfunding in the first place.

You can pick up an X-Box One for $220 at Gamestop, and a preloaded RetroPie system from ebay for $150. So for under $400 you have everything you just asked for, and you don't have to wait a year for it

• Like 8

The source of that information might have been Curt Vendal (most probable), though it's possible he might have gotten it from the same source as the commenter, (I take no responsibility - I hedged above *points*)

/excerpt :

"I already know the inside scoop on whats going on and its borderline criminal whats taken place over the last 6+ months alone... I can say this much publicly - there is NOTHING in those cases, its glued on ports and some LED's inside, that's it. The only HW they have are a couple of unaltered AMD dev boards. They have nothing custom, heck they havent even tried to do a PC board layout yet. Biggest thing was how they tried to get a controller maker to agree to a contract that would've said they didnt get any kind of exclusive manufacturing of the controller for Atari so they could make some $ off of allowing Atari to use their design, basically the way the contract was worded: Atari takes your hardware for no payment, takes your hardware - goes to cheapest maker, runs off crappy low quality knock-offs..."/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/105586892805903/permalink/1890527657645142/

I could be wrong, but I don't think Curt Vendel has ever been a big fan of the current iteration of Atari, so more inside information would be helpful to confirm.

If you read his full FaceBook post, he says that he expects that all Atari is going to do is ship a stock AMD board in an Atari case. This is more or less what Atari is promising anyway. Atari really from a technical perspective has not promised a lot. They'll deliver... It's a matter of how many games and how good the interface is.

Edited by bmadgames

"Hey Jeff, we're really disappointed you spoke out about Tempest 4000 not playing on the Atari VCS. We're going to send out special anti-conspiracy propaganda posters to your office. Please make sure they are clearly displayed in each room of the office." - Thank you, Mike Arzt

(every one of these scam kickstarter systems has a Mike....)

post-44598-0-61111500-1528479375.jpg

• Like 3

Were people actually excited about the possibility of playing Tempest 4000 on the Atari VCS when you can play it on PC right now?

I really don't understand the hypothetical appeal of the Atari VCS other than the Atari name being attached.

• Like 3

Were people actually excited about the possibility of playing Tempest 4000 on the Atari VCS when you can play it on PC right now?

I really don't understand the hypothetical appeal of the Atari VCS other than the Atari name being attached.

Exactly. They shot themselves in the foot and got caught lying about something that very few people actually cared about

The questions and answers on their campaign are fun.

post-2410-0-00210000-1528481594_thumb.png

Q: Are you going to e3?

A: Yes! We're totally going to hand out some business cards and hope someone talks to us. Or makes us some games for free! We'll be in the Super 8 off the freeway, only 10 miles away.

post-2410-0-42127600-1528481714_thumb.png

Q: Why AMD when they suck at Linux? Why let people brick their machines by making it open?

A: OMG we hadn't thought about that. Maybe we'll change it for the release. Make sure you enter your credit card number correctly! Sorry we can't combine shipping, that's IndieGogo's fault. Or maybe yours, for giving us money. Because you can't ask us these awkward questions without pledging something first.

post-2410-0-01079800-1528481807_thumb.png

Q: Why can't I have cartridges? And buy them in stores? You should make this a time machine so I can do that.

A: Oh yeah, we're totally thinking about doing that. Thanks for your money, please come again! This is only the beginning.

post-2410-0-46751000-1528481908_thumb.png

Q. Talk about Atari Token

A: I have no fscking idea. Um, maybe?

post-2410-0-20076300-1528481961_thumb.png

Q. Why u no talk about tempest 4000 scam thanks

A: Just shut up and pay, we told you everything would be fine. That's how we get your money, right?

post-2410-0-39524200-1528482060_thumb.png

Q. I want a $3000 GPU in my $200 scam box so it can last forever.

A: Sure, you can have that, we'll just have to see! We've already decided on a $47 APU, but maybe we'll change to NVIDIA TITAN V at a later date. Remember to lock in your pledge soon so we have your money!

post-2410-0-68241100-1528482150_thumb.png

Q. I can has Steam?

A: I don't really know what that is. Sure, it's a sandbox, you could take a big crap in there for all care.

• Like 20

If one defines nostalgia as a yearning for an idealized past, the bittersweet nature of it becomes clearer. One can never return to this past, it never truly existed. And the present reality, no matter how good, can never be as good as an ideal -- which nostalgia has created. Thus the saying "you can't go home again."

Nostalgia does not relate to a specific memory, but rather to an emotional state. This idealized emotional state is framed within a past era, and the yearning for the idealized emotional state manifests as an attempt to recreate that past era by reproducing activities performed then and by using symbolic representations of the past. Idealized past emotions become displaced onto inanimate objects, sounds, smells and tastes that were experienced concurrently with the emotions. This same mechanism of displacement is utilized in medicine for its negative impact in the treatment of alcoholism. (Disulfiram is used as an adversive conditioning agent to inhibit recurrent use of alcohol in addicts.) (Kaplan, et al 1988, p. 227).

The nostalgic urge to recreate the past within the present is, in many ways, a driving force for behavior. Similarly, the nostalgic urge to recreate the past explains why so many abused children marry abusive spouses, and children of alcoholics marry alcoholic spouses -- not because their childhood was happy, but rather because they seek to recreate their idealized sanitized memories of their childhood by identifying with symbolic manifestations of the past which they find in their alcoholic or abusive spouses.

This same paradigm governs the repetition of failures on the part of "neurotics" who behave as if oblivious to logical rationale. This is seen in persons with recurrent failing relationships (those marrying seven or eight times), those with recurrent failures at business, and even those with recurrent experiences of being victimized.

• Like 1

For earlier examples, also see: "Coleco Chameleon"

I can't remember... How much money did Mike Kennedy scam people out of?

These are two totally different products. Kennedy was trying to develop his own unique console and had no serious funding. Atari is just repackaging stock hardware and adding a modified ui... that's much more doable

Edited by bmadgames

That kind of thinking completely ignores the fact that well before they became ridiculously priced collectibles, I bought three Jags at KayBee on clearance for 25 bucks apiece.

So did I. And how much are they worth now? :-D

with no physical games to collect with it, what a boring collectible. There are Pong units that are more collectible and will be more valuable than this thing.

So it's like every Pong system ever made.

Another tuber speaks out. I like this better than the Rerez hot take, because he doesn't spend too much time on the emulation red herring (there's zero evidence this is using WINE on Linux), but instead focuses on how our AtariBox pals have been misleading in a Chameleonesque way.

*Snip* YouTube Click Bait Video *Snip*

I absolutely cannot stand this guy. He always looks like a scrub and his videos are mostly click bait. He's one of the many talking heads that turned me off of YouTube. At least make yourself look presentable for the camera for goodness sake. YouTube is paying you for this. Have some self respect. Another self appointed expert who reads Wikipedia. And the worst part is he's just commenting on something he heard on another YouTube video. I freaking hate that trend.

Speaking of which- ATM, it's .58 euros per share. Or $.69 per share. Yeah...69 dude!

attachicon.gif69dude.jpg

Yeah! I bought my shares at .63 cents per share. That's an increase of SIX WHOLE CENTS! Woo hoo! And you people said I was crazy! Take that bitches!!

post-27032-0-26757000-1528484946.jpg

I can't remember... How much money did Mike Kennedy scam people out of?

These are two totally different products. Kennedy was trying to develop his own unique console and had no serious funding. Atari is just repackaging stock hardware and adding a modified ui... that's much more doable

Mike's IGG went up to about $80k, before people started bailing on it. In theory, he could have kept the IGG going and ran with that.

I'll admit, my curiosity was piqued when I saw the first teaser for the VCS, but as more information came out I slowly became less and less interested. The fact that they're trying to crowdfund a console when they're already a multimillion dollar company raised some red flags for me. The fact that they've avoided addressing many of the concerns regarding the console is even worse.

Honestly, this just seems like another cynical attempt to cash in on a brand that's been coasting on nostalgia for nearly thirty years now.

• Like 1

Not sure how popular Kitguru is, but it's the only site I've found reporting on the Tempest 4000 footage.

Money quote:

KitGuru says: The writing was on the wall for the Atari Box, and I think investing money in anything Atari does going forward was always going to fall foul of something like this.

Clearly unaware of the potential windfall that is Atari penny stock.

• Like 3