IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

In Europe (and maybe in the rest of the world outside the US) we dont even know the term "VCS".

not that i refer to it as the vcs, but its is printed right on the front of the fukin console

Edited by Osgeld

My, how times change on AtariAge.

2016: Coleco Chameleon is bad for likely buying Facebook likes and followers.

2018: Marketing companies buy likes and follows! Get over it!

"Everybody does it! And Atari is smart for hiring them!"

post-2410-0-52283900-1528641347.pngpost-2410-0-66416200-1528641358.png

10K purchases on "VCS" IGG campaign (this is a higher number than actual backers, because extra accessories are forced into a separate order)

45K members of AtariAge. Many of them read and post in more than one topic thread!

giphy.gif

• Like 7

This board is the single biggest collection of Atari fans. I would not be so quick to discount their opinions. The number of people I know outside this site who know or care about Atari is statistically insignificant.

How many members are there to AA? I couldn't find anywhere that had an official number nut In last 30 min it said a little over 900 were online but 800 of them were guests. So lets say there is four times that which makes 4000 members (that is assuming that all of them are here for Atari stuff and not here for INTV, CV, or whatever). There was still 10,000 backers for this campaign.

They have to think about the broader picture and catering to 4000 forum members wouldn't be enough.

*Edit for seeing someone posting the correct numbers that I missed.*

Even if they had a working prototype of this thing (I know they don't), that can play tempest, do the streaming, play the old games, and ran Linux; would you buy it or not? If the answer is still no them the name isn't the problem. Its that it isn't a system for you.

I don't think this thing is going to be a success but the gaming world has moved on from the 2600 and they have to appeal to more than just this forum. I don't think it will, but if it doesn't its not because of the name. That is maybe the one thing they have done right was renaming it.

Kind of related but I remember the boxes of the games when I was younger saying Atari 2600 and not VCS but I think my earlier produced box games I have say VCS. So is maybe part of the problem that later in its life it went more towards the 2600 name?

Edited by MrBeefy

Four times that is really innaccurate. This is a niche forum people likely visit every once in a while. Steam used to have 125 mil monthly users when their average daily peak was 8 mil CCU. Now imagine how often the average Steam user has Steam open vs the average AtariAge poster/lurker visits AtariAge.

"If even a crowdfunding campaign is so succesful which is only known to a handful of internet enthusiast and even if known, risky to participate, just imagine the number of people who would actually care about a new Atari product if they would see it in stores or on amazon."

About 50k people, going by Atari Corp's last console. :(

To bring a console to market & make it successful you need a billion dollars; even $120 million isn't enough.

not that i refer to it as the vcs, but its is printed right on the front of the fukin console

On the original it was. I grew up with a Jr which had a big 2600 that was way more prominent than the VCS part (if it was even on there).

I hate, loathe, and despise Atari so much that I've acquired several of their systems and peripherals (as well as a decent chunk of software for them) over the years solely to deny a true Atari lover of their ownership. Seeing the sorrow of The Truly Faithful at these deprivations fuels my seething rage towards all things Atari.

This plan has been in effect since I was approximately 10 years old. I'm a criminal mastermind, me.

• Like 11

attachicon.gifaa members.PNGattachicon.gifvcs.PNG

10K purchases on "VCS" IGG campaign (this is a higher number than actual backers, because extra accessories are forced into a separate order)

45K members of AtariAge. Many of them read and post in more than one topic thread!

giphy.gif

Lol wish i had seen this before my previous post. I couldn't find those numbers.

They would still need to appeal to more than 40,000. Because that is then only 50,000 backers.

I wish they would have just said hey we are looking into a new system but will not have anymore information on it until late 2018 then do the funding stuff after one working prototype.

• Like 3

They would still need to appeal to more than 40,000. Because that is then only 50,000 backers.

Yup, to say nothing of the software attach rate, which would matter if this were anything but an overpriced, one-off, novelty collectible.

Why doesn't Atari just work with the Franklin Mint and make a gold plated empty shell for these people to buy?

• Like 4

That wasn't Rain Factory. They just marketed the product. I think that made like 3.5 mil in the crowdfunding. That's impressive for a little handsized drone. But you know, it doesn't matter what Atari does. 90% of the people on this site hate Atari and everything they do. It's non-stop complaining. It's a wonder why any of you all even bother coming here. They could invent immortality and you all would find reasons to slam them. But if Nintendo did it, oh yeah. You all would be lined up to order.

..but Rain Factory has a history of successful crowdfunding projects.

Can I ask you an honest question? Have you been diagnosed with some type of mental illness? You posted a number of times earlier in this thread complaining about how terrible Atari SA was because they refused your generous offer to bring your crappy Pitfall ripoff to this console in exchange for being paid to do so. You then piled on with everyone else to point out the flaws in the campaign and the product but indicated you would be buying one anyway so you could review it. Now you are defending a shady marketing company that has a documented track record of attaching itself to at best failed products and at worst fraudulent products created solely to defraud backers. On top of that, you are attacking board members because they refuse to blindly support a company whose only connection with "Atari" is that they own some trademarks and a small selection of the former IP. This whole line of argument is absurd. Atari isn't necessarily the same thing to every person here or in the rest of the world. For some it might be one console or maybe a period of time or maybe a nostalgic feeling about a particular game. I can tell you one thing though, nobody with any knowledge of the history of video games considers the owners of some IP, 20+ years after the last incarnation of anything that could be tied in any way to the first Atari to be "Atari" and no amount of deflection (what the hell does Nintendo have to do with anything?) is going to change that.

Edited by bojay1997
  • Like 2

Hmm :? , if we assume that the Crowdfunding Campaign is not manipulated by the Atari Company then this is not the single biggest collection of Atari Fans.

It seems that this board is not representative at all for the popularity which apparently still exists and we were not aware of.

If even a crowdfunding campaign is so succesful which is only known to a handful of internet enthusiast and even if known, risky to participate, just imagine the number of people who would actually care about a new Atari product if they would see it in stores or on amazon.

Even many members here would care different if they would see the actual existing console in a store. Therefore i wouldnt say that the number of people who care is statistically insignificant.

P.S. You said this is the single biggest collection of Atari Fans. Reading all the posts here makes me wonder what you mean by that :D

Maybe you meant: The single biggest collection of Atari Haters. ;)

By the way: You and a few others complaint about my post when i said that many product reviews and other things are manipulated.

I dont want to destroy your view of the world but for example many Facebook likes, the number of Twitter Followers and many many amazon reviews are fake. Sorry to tell you that but thats whats known to people outside of this forum.

So you dont have to sigh or quote my text and portray me as a troll. Thats not very polite.

but i beg to differ- the reason i sighed is because i simply have nothing polite to say to you. not only do i feel it is 'whataboutism', you're also in my opinion using hyperbole and wackadoodle conspiracy theories to prove your point.

it's ok to have differing opinions, you know likely how that saying goes- but a lot of folks are going to construe what you say as attacking a group that feels very very strongly about the hobby that they pursue. reel your stuff in and listen rather than defending yourself simultaneously while you're trying to listen to what other people are saying.

Edited by digdugnate

attachicon.gifaa members.PNGattachicon.gifvcs.PNG

giphy.gif

I just spent about 5 minutes of my life starring into that gif image.

"I have no regrets."

• Like 8

I wonder how many people I caused to cancel their preorder or decide not to order at all.

Zero. I'm saying zero. I love AA, but we're mostly an echo chamber for older fans. Now if you're talking about YouTube? Well, no offense but who cares?

My money is he's gambling on Atari penny stock and drank his own kool aid. Most of the other shills doing it for free I've met have some amount invested.

I get paid in delicious tacos for every positive post I write about the Atari VCS. In fact, I might have written enough posts to earn a full taco platter, complete with refried beans and delicious Spanish rice.

INTERESTING and IMPORTANT update from yours truly!!

1. I visited the US Postal Museum today. Not only did they have what appears to be the pistols used in the Hamilton-Burr duel, they also had a cute standing exhibit from the US Postal Inspection Service. I grabbed a flyer that does not seem to be online, because it had a section about how "YOU CAN AVOID BECOMING A VICTIM OF FRAUD:"

Warning Signs:

- Sounds too good to be true.

- Pressures you to act "right away."

- Guarantees success.

- Promises unusually high returns.

- Requires an upfront investment -- even for a "free prize."

- Buyers want to overpay you for an item and have you send them the difference.

- Doesn't have the look of a real business.

- Something just doesn't feel right.

post-2410-0-66079000-1528665475_thumb.jpg

Totally reminds me of "Atari VCS."

2. This recipe for Dirty Pigeon Tacos.https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/how-to-make-exchange-alleys-dirty-pigeon-taco

Pigeon Ingredients: 4 squabs (oven-ready and trussed, about 3/4 lbs each) Salt and pepper to taste 4 sprigs fresh thyme, or 4 pinches dried 4 small bay leaves 4 small peeled garlic cloves 1 tbsp olive oi

Pigeon Prep: 1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees

2) Season the cavities of the squabs with salt and pepper. Inside each, put a sprig of thyme, a bay leaf and a clove of garlic

3) Put squabs in a large, heavy roasting pan, breasts up. Brush the squab with the olive oil. Cook 20mins, basting often with pan juices

4) Put squabs on a serving platter. Untruss, and keep warm

5) When cool, pull meat from bones into reasonably sized pieces, and reserve for frying

3-2-1 Fry Mix Ingredients: 3 parts AP flour 2 parts corn starch 1 part corn meal Creole spic

Frying Prepped Pigeons: 1) Season dry ingredients with creole spice till VERY light pink. Too much will burn

Dirty Gravy Ingredients: 1 lb chicken liver 1/2 lb ground pork 1/2 lb ground beef 2 cloves garlic 2 shallots 3 tbsp fresh thyme 1 stick butter 1/4 lb flour 1 qt dark chicken stock 1 bay leaf 1 tsp Worcestershire 1 tbsp creole spic

Dirty Gravy Prep: 1) Brown all meats separately. Nice & dark, careful not to cross the line between caramelized and burnt

2) Remove from pan and let drain

3) Put butter in pan, melt, and add flour to make a dark roux

4) Add garlic and shallots to roux, and cook until sof

5) Add meats to roux, and sauté for a few minutes incorporating flavor

6) Add stock, Worcestershire sauce, creole spice, bay leaf and Salt and pepper to taste

7) Simmer until it’s a bubbling cauldron of voodoo-liciousnes

Pickled Chilis Ingredients (proportionally): 1 pickle 1 part white vinegar 1/2 part suga

Pickled Chili Directions: 1) Bring to boil

2) Dump hot liquid over sliced chili’s (any kind, cayenne, long red, jalapeño, whatever you like)

3) Cover in Mason jar, and let cool. Refrigerate

Make the damn tacos: 1) Toss squab in 3-2-1 Fry Mix, and fry till crisp (in a cast iron pan with shallow vegetable oil's fine if you don’t have a fryer.

2) Distribute on your favorite warm corn tacos

3) Smother in dirty gravy, pickled chilis, and serve with fresh lime & cilantro

4) Put on Gris-Gris by Dr. John and eat til you sweat.

post-2410-0-24572200-1528668633.jpg

• Like 5