IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I don't remember any precedent of predicting a failure of their crowd funding effort. I saw a few folks claim that would be the case, but by and large, there was always an expectation that a number of hapless souls would throw money at this despite any evidence and better reason. PT Barnum was quoted quite often as I recall. The questions have always been how many people would fall for their routine, and how much of a mess Atari SA would make of the effort. We now know the unfortunate truth to the first part. The rest....well....

81prOQUQvRL._SX425_.jpg

• Like 6

8,000 consoles is complete and utter failure. If you can't even get 1/6th of what the Ouya did you have zero chance at having a successful console ecosystem to attract developers

But a rousing success if the goal is a gimmicky, content-free, novelty one-off collector's item.

If they weren't crowdfunding

If they didn't call it the "VCS"

If they didn't pretend they were going to make games for it

If they didn't take money but decline to provide refunds many months prior to delivery

If they just made a stupid collectible like a challenge coin rather than a game computer

... I wouldn't have a problem with it at all! Let the collectors have their toy.

post-2410-0-84504600-1528744470.png

This belongs in a place like this. "Atari" is so far in over their heads it's not even funny.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Yes, yes. I'm pretty sure I've heard you say that, many, many times before. :ponder:

Call me in a year and we'll have this discussion again.

It'll still be true a year from now, five years from now, a hundred thousand years from now

Also worth noting is that the deadline to order the woodgrain limited edition ended a few hours ago and it's still up as an option. Waiting the inevitable "due to popular demand this is going to continue for the rest of the campiagn"

• Like 3

Also worth noting is that the deadline to order the woodgrain limited edition ended a few hours ago and it's still up as an option. Waiting the inevitable "due to popular demand this is going to continue for the rest of the campiagn"

I noticed there was a bump in funding since I made my first post in this topic today. I wonder if this is the reason? Honestly, the wood grain shouldn't be a limited edition.

Dr Manhattan-

Not only am I repeating myself, but it's to the same person!

Well, that's not exactly true; not everyone thought it was going to fail. I, myself, said several times in this thread I thought they would succeed on the brand alone. Others figured they'd have a low goal (which they did) or flexible funding (which they also did). I don't recall if anyone said anything like "Nobody would be stupid enough to back this thing." But there's a bunch of skeptics here and we don't share a hive mind.

I certainly hoped it would fail, just because bad behavior shouldn't be rewarded. There's a hair's difference between AVCS and the RVGS/Chameleon campaigns. But Atari gets a free pass?

• Like 5

I noticed there was a bump in funding since I made my first post in this topic today. I wonder if this is the reason? Honestly, the wood grain shouldn't be a limited edition.

I'm willing to be that even if they deliver the product, and it goes belly up a month later, the thing will become and exotic collectible and hit Jaguar-level crazy prices on eBay. I think the same thing is eventually going to happen to the Wii U. There's something about failure and popular brand name that really creates collectible value.

If the woodgrain isn't a limited edition, won't that cut into your collectible theory?

Howard-the-Duck-candy.jpg.jpg

• Like 1

We should really start a pool on here and pick the date when the following things happen

They announce the first delay

They announce a game only to be rebuffed by the developer (I mean, have that happen again)

They announce the second delay

They blame their sweatshop...I mean...Chinese manufacturer on the delay

They announce the cancellation and say "well sometimes that happens with crowdfunding, thanks for the money though!"

• Like 2