IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Hahahahahahahahah...this might be the greatest intentional or unintentional troll in Atari history. :) I will definitely be subscribing.

The Chameleon thing was really sad, but Retro seemed to start off with good intentions. I subscribed for the first two years of it, and overall found it to be a bit better written then a lot of other retro mags. Production quality was also quite good. It did end up tanking along with Kennedy, though. Currently have a subscription to Old School Gamer, which is...not as great. Maybe not even good. Still, it's ok.

I got turned off by Old School Gamer because that 2 issues I got seemed more like a Twin Galaxies, Billy Mitchel advert.

Is linux still free when you use it in a commercial product?

GPL License means that you have to also release any changes you make to the source code under the same license. When it comes to consoles and that sort of stuff Linux is for people with no resources to be able to start with more permissive BSD licensed stuff instead,

• Like 1

Not that "Atari GameBox LLC" has specified which license terms they're using, have they?

They have stated they want to make a tamper-resistant recovery partition. Not sure if this is considered "tivoization" or not.

Pretty sure they're just talking out of their ass. Nothing's gonna stop you from booting to a plugged in secondary hard drive and doing whatever you want with the eMMC. (Not because of any restrictions, but because you can't easily wipe or partition whatever you're booted off of.)

Leaked AtariAge magazine topics?

• How to Introduce Your Family to the Atari VCS.
  • Top Ten Ways the Atari VCS is the Best Atari ever.
  • How to Ignore Haters and Believe in Atari.
  • Atari Will Bring on a Golden Age and Here's What Will Happen.
  • Why You Shouldn't Open Your Atari VCS Collector's Edition.
  • Centerfold: Foldable Atari VCS Papercraft, Modern Edition.
  • Why You Should Invest in Penny Stocks and Ataricoin.
  • Comic: Atariman Fights Haters and Saves Kittens.
  • The Best Foods that are Not Tacos.
  • Ad: MotoRacer's Miracle Water
  • Fifteen Uses for an Atari Speakerhat.
  • Showdown: USB Hard Drive vs MicroSD.
  • Ways to Fill Time While Waiting for the Atari VCS
  • Am I a Sea Lion?
  • Like 8

Merchandising. Merchandising. Where the real money from the zombie brand is made.

AtariAge-the T-shirt, AtariAge-the Coloring Book, AtariAge-the Lunch box, AtariAge-the Breakfast Cereal, AtariAge-the Flame Thrower.

The kids love this one. Last, but not least, AtariAge - the Pigeon Doll. (pulls on the string) "Suckers"

Adorable.

HG8q0GM.gif

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 4

I don't want to call you a blasphemer, but I don't know another way to finish that sentence.

Homegrown zucchini is delicious. Next time I might make zucchini taco wraps. You take thin slices lengthwise of the zuc then roll up the meat in it. Set them in a pan top with cheese and bake. So good.

Don't worry I do eat tortillas too but I had two forearm length zucchinis and wanted to eat one.

At the rate the BackerTracker projections are falling every day I doubt this thing is even going to hit 4 mil raised total. As far as actual consoles sold I think we'll likely hit 10,000 but not 11,000.

Totals for today.

$2,871,182 USD raised by 10892 backers. 18 days left in the campaign. While 4 million is unlikely, unless we see a bump in funding at the end, but 11,000 backers is almost guaranteed.

It might be mentioned before but for any future trolls that read this: I believe Atari SA (which is NOT the old ATARI) is pulling wool over everyone's eyes, especially backers, into thinking they ARE Atari-which they are not. They're the company formally known as Infogrames. When was the last time INFOGRAMES made a console besides that plastic box they're pushing now? I don't even think INFOGRAMES has had any experience in creating a console.

I think most people know this and very few people who backed the campaign actually care.

This also raises and interesting question that needs to be answered by everyone in this thread.

What is "real" Atari?

Bushnell / Dabney

Warner Communications

Tramiel Atari

Hasbro Atari

Infogrames Atari

In your opinion, where does "real" Atari begin and end. In my opinion, the only "real" Atari was Bushnell / Dabney, and anyone else who says otherwise, or who bought products from companies calling themselves "Atari" after that point are heretics who should be burned at the stake. Am I joking? Maybe. Cast your vote and tell us where "real" Atari ends.

I personally don't care what is 'real' Atari.

People might not like it but the most current version of Atari is just as real as the rest of them. Do you have to like the new version? No. Because its new does that mean it is better? No.

The real Atari is the one I have plugged into my old TV in the basement.

• Like 1

In your opinion, where does "real" Atari begin and end. In my opinion, the only "real" Atari was Bushnell / Dabney, and anyone else who says otherwise, or who bought products from companies calling themselves "Atari" after that point are heretics who should be burned at the stake. Am I joking? Maybe. Cast your vote and tell us where "real" Atari ends.

Is "not the real Atari" the nerd equivalent of "no true Scotsman"?

Warner and even Tramiel bought actual companies. Aside from some new suits at the top, the Warner buyout was a simple change in ownership.

The consumer side truly died with the reverse JTS merger.

Think of it this way...I have a dog named Atari. If I sell that dog to my neighbor, he's still Atari. Even if that neighbor changes the dog's name, he's still Atari. If Atari dies and someone gets me a new dog, even if it's the same breed, even if it's a really nice dog, it isn't Atari. That dog is gone, and I have no feelings or loyalty to the new one just because of his name.

Chesnais' company is a technicality, nothing more.

• Like 5

Warner and even Tramiel bought actually companies. Aside from some new suits at the top, the Warner buyout was a simple change in ownership.

The consumer side truly died with the reverse JTS merger.

If one has to draw a hard line between "real Atari" and "reanimated zombie Atari", Atari Corporation (Tramiel Atari) seems like the most sensible place to do it. That incarnation was the last one to exist as an independent public company—I'm pretty sure Atari Games (the coin-op side) was already sold to WMS by that time—and it was the last one to positively contribute to the Atari legacy by creating innovative new product under the Atari name. From JTS onward, all the subsequent owners of Atari were mainly interested either in liquidating its assets or cashing in on the old properties, or both. (I did enjoy some of the games that Hasbro's Atari Interactive published, but I can't recall any that were developed in-house; they were all old licenses farmed out to third-party developers.)

• Like 6

What is "real" Atari?

Bushnell / Dabney

Warner Communications

Tramiel Atari

Hasbro Atari

Infogrames Atari

You forgot about Atari Games, & JTS's Atari "division." ;)

Think of it this way...I have a dog named Atari. If I sell that dog to my neighbor, he's still Atari. Even if that neighbor changes the dog's name, he's still Atari. If Atari dies and someone gets me a new dog, even if it's the same breed, even if it's a really nice dog, it isn't Atari. That dog is gone, and I have no feelings or loyalty to the new one just because of his name.

What if they bred your dog, so the new Atari is your dog's son or daughter?

Edited by pacman000

Is "not the real Atari" the nerd equivalent of "no true Scotsman"?

I don't think so, unless it's something like this:

Debbie: Atari doesn't make linux consoles.

Carla: Atari VCS will be a linux console.

Debbie: Well, no true Atari would make a linux console.

As far as I'm concerned, Atari basically died roughly the time the Jaguar did.

I'll grant Atari, SA's obtaining of the brand is better than what RiverWest Brands/Dormitus did to get Coleco.

If Atari, SA actually manufactured a console I may have given it a chance for nostalgic and practical reasons. I'd be hard-pressed to find any reason that their heart is into anything more than making money off nostalgia, though. I wouldn't be against someone, or a group, reviving a brand out of passion (naturally, money/profits is a factor).

• Like 6

i'll have to mention that to mrs. digdug- she's always on the lookout for healthier recipes like that.

me, on the other hand- you'll have to pry my soft warm tortillas out of my cold dead hands. :grin:

Oh we love carbs and tortillas in this household. But my one zucchini plant has produced 3 over 12" zucs and I have 2 more that could be picked and more blooms on the way.

I could see why many would say the Jag was the end. How does this compare to SEGA? Is SEGA really SEGA still?

You forgot about Atari Games, & JTS's Atari "division." ;)

What if they bred your dog, so the new Atari is your dog's son or daughter?

You could maybe make that analogy with Atari Games/Atari Corp, but those dogs both died too.

Infogrames is that yappy Chihuahua down the street. It doesn't really matter if they're putting a dead dog's tags on it.

• Like 2

Apparently they just changed their processor (according to a FB post anyway). The supposed new one is

Bristol Ridge A10-9630P

I'm not a tech guy by any stretch, but doesn't it send up red flags on a console that they are switching what processor they are using in the middle of the indiegogo campaign? I mean, shouldn't you have that locked down at this point?

Oh we love carbs and tortillas in this household. But my one zucchini plant has produced 3 over 12" zucs and I have 2 more that could be picked and more blooms on the way.

I could see why many would say the Jag was the end. How does this compare to SEGA? Is SEGA really SEGA still?

The SEGA I loved is long gone.

• Like 1