IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Is Sega still the same as (presumably most) grew up with as a console manufacturer, no. However, Sega decided to quit the console business and become a 3rd party gaming studio, so it has continued on as a company without totally being bankrupt and out of the gaming business like 3DO, Atari, etc. So, in that regard Sega is still Sega, but just not manufacturing consoles anymore. Sound fair?

I could see why many would say the Jag was the end. How does this compare to SEGA? Is SEGA really SEGA still?

Edited by Hwlngmad
  • Like 2

Apparently they just changed their processor (according to a FB post anyway). The supposed new one is

Bristol Ridge A10-9630P

I'm not a tech guy by any stretch, but doesn't it send up red flags on a console that they are switching what processor they are using in the middle of the indiegogo campaign? I mean, shouldn't you have that locked down at this point?

I couldn't find the Facebook post, but it's there in the Indiegogo specs now along with speeds. To be fair to them, I think they only listed "Bristol Ridge A10" and not the complete model before.

Yes, it would be ideal if they had more things locked down (not to mention a prototype). But here we are, and the supporters don't seem to very much care; Atari will make it happen.

• Like 2

Is Sega still the same as (presumably most) grew up with as a console manufacturer, no. However, Sega decided to quit the console business and become a 3rd party gaming studio, so it has continued on as a company without totally being bankrupt and out of the gaming business like 3DO, Atari, etc. So, in that regard Sega is still Sega, but just not manufacturing consoles anymore. Sound fair?

I don't know. SEGA still can't manage to be consistent with making good Sonic games.

I couldn't find the Facebook post, but it's there in the Indiegogo specs now along with speeds. To be fair to them, I think they only listed "Bristol Ridge A10" and not the complete model before.

Yes, it would be ideal if they had more things locked down (not to mention a prototype). But here we are, and the supporters don't seem to very much care; Atari will make it happen.

post-53348-0-12006400-1528840768_thumb.png

• Like 1

"Sega decided to quit the console business and become a 3rd party gaming studio, so it has continued on as a company without totally being bankrupt and out of the gaming business like 3DO, Atari, etc."

Atari Corp. didn't go bankrupt. They left the market before they completely ran out of money.

Apparently they just changed their processor (according to a FB post anyway). The supposed new one is

Bristol Ridge A10-9630P

I'm not a tech guy by any stretch, but doesn't it send up red flags on a console that they are switching what processor they are using in the middle of the indiegogo campaign? I mean, shouldn't you have that locked down at this point?

It's not so much a change of CPU, but that they've finally pinned themselves down to a specific model. Suffice it to say that it's a bottom of the range one, but at least the P at the end means that it won't throttle within a couple of minutes of you starting a game. Or at least it won't if they can get the cooling right.

With at least fourteen months to go until it ships, I'd be surprised if there's anything much locked down about the design apart from the case itself. However, when the absolute best case scenario at the end of that period is that Atari puts out a Linux HTPC in a novelty case that's only good for an occasional bit of lo-fi gaming, do you really need to go looking for red flags?

• Like 2

Nice to know the exact unit they chose. Looks like the low-end AMD-based laptop I found a while back is nearly identical in performance, at least on paper: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-A12-7th-Gen-A12-9700P-vs-AMD-A10-7th-Gen-A10-9630P

Not to mention that July 2019 is a long way off. The AMD tech they're putting into this (Bristol Ridge) is from 2016 and will be surpassed this fall.

Here's a laptop with the same (or better) A10 CPU and R7 GPU for $361. Except it comes with a screen, keyboard, and pointing device, 2x the RAM, 30x the storage, a DVD drive, and Windows. Oh, and you could have it tomorrow.

Atari Vault is in Steam now and Tempest 4000 is expected in two weeks.

Part of me hopes that nobody gets screwed, but the rest of me wants this to go kablooey so it puts an end to this kind of retro brand exploitation.

It would probably work better in Windows than Linux, especially for games. It's $368 now, still a better deal than AtariBox.

It's not so much a change of CPU, but that they've finally pinned themselves down to a specific model. Suffice it to say that it's a bottom of the range one, but at least the P at the end means that it won't throttle within a couple of minutes of you starting a game. Or at least it won't if they can get the cooling right.

With at least fourteen months to go until it ships, I'd be surprised if there's anything much locked down about the design apart from the case itself. However, when the absolute best case scenario at the end of that period is that Atari puts out a Linux HTPC in a novelty case that's only good for an occasional bit of lo-fi gaming, do you really need to go looking for red flags?

Yup. Low-end, bargain APU, running a free operating system, bundled with a $10 game collection, in an Atari-esque case. I wouldn't be interested in this even if it weren't overpriced, delayed, and being sold by asshats. They could always upgrade the specs for the retail release, if it ever happens, I suppose.

• Like 3

Bristol Ridge A10-9630P

Stolen from https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A10-9630P&id=2857 :

pwaoQpO.png

I wasn't expecting anything astronomical by any means, based on the statements made so far by AtariVCSboxCorp, Inc. - but assuming that it does make it market next year as planned, the worth of that CPU in terms of overall value is going to be in the red.

I do find it interesting that the lowest-end i7 (listed directly above the Bristol Ridge) takes top honours for bang for the buck, however.

• Like 4

The theory is usually that the AMD SOCs with Radeon graphics perform better for gaming than the Intel with integrated graphics chips. I think the evidence to that is dubious, especially on a garden variety proc like those, but it does explain why the cost to measured performance is so low. They say that because they're "optimized" for gaming, they're worth more. I don't buy it. And I won't.

• Like 3

Passmark is a fun tool. Here's the AtariBox APU (left) against my cheesy old desktop from 2013 (right) from which I'm writing this now. It's a midgrade $500 prebuilt Acer from Best Buy, no hot rod, and going on 5 years old.

post-2410-0-72750900-1528847684.png

That's just CPU. Since it's a desktop, I have added a modest Nvidia GTX 1050ti, which brings it into the 83rd percentile of tests run on that site, to say nothing of storage and RAM speed and capacity. Naturally, this is a Windows benchmark. Gaming on Linux is going to be a lot more constrained, not to mention there isn't as much selection.

So yeah, I knew AtariBox was "not for me," but thanks for the idea about quantifying it.

AtariBox says they're doing their own thing, not trying to compete with Xbox or Playstation, but they haven't shown anything that differentiates them yet.

• Like 3

The theory is usually that the AMD SOCs with Radeon graphics perform better for gaming than the Intel with integrated graphics chips. I think the evidence to that is dubious, especially on a garden variety proc like those, but it does explain why the cost to measured performance is so low. They say that because they're "optimized" for gaming, they're worth more. I don't buy it. And I won't.

And how are their Linux drivers?

The Early Bird was supposed to end on 06/06.

They still have:

- 126 Console only $199 ($299 reg. price)

- 334 Console + Joystick $229 ($329)

- 351 Console "All In" $279 ($379)

811 consoles left, six days later.

I really think this isn't going as gangbusters as they wanted.

What's going to happen when each console package goes up $100?

Thinking about it, they could have tied into the whole Tacocoin thing by announcing that they were building the system as a GPU-based SoC... But that would presume a degree of hardware engineering and marketing acumen that AtariVCSboxCorp, Inc. does not possess.

Yep, I'm being somewhat facetious in suggesting that. But it would at least have given them something to differentiate their overpriced sub-par reference board from, say, a Lattepanda.

And how are their Linux drivers?

Great, actually. At least so I've heard, Radeon drivers are fully open source and not entirely crap like they used to be.

Game selection for Linux actually is fairly decent. I have just under 1000 of my games on Steam with Linux support, and that's just the ones I own.

"Sega decided to quit the console business and become a 3rd party gaming studio, so it has continued on as a company without totally being bankrupt and out of the gaming business like 3DO, Atari, etc."

Atari Corp. didn't go bankrupt. They left the market before they completely ran out of money.

They didn't say Atari Corp. They just said Atari, which did file for bankruptcy:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/21/technology/atari-bankrupt/index.html

• Like 1

The Early Bird was supposed to end on 06/06.

They still have:

- 126 Console only $199 ($299 reg. price)

- 334 Console + Joystick $229 ($329)

- 351 Console "All In" $279 ($379)

811 consoles left, six days later.

I really think this isn't going as gangbusters as they wanted.

What's going to happen when each console package goes up $100?

Extend the sale for a "limited time only?"

post-2410-0-16455000-1528854050_thumb.png

• Like 8

This is why some of us still come here. And this is why $300 worth of tacos is probably the better use of money. :D

attachicon.gifare-you-not-entertained1.jpg

I'm truly shattered. I really thought the campaign couldn't possibly surprise me.

Yet, the marketing magicians somehow pulled a rabbit out of the [speaker]hat :lol:

I wonder what other gold nuggets the production future holds :)

Any chance that marketing company is also based in NYC and they frequent local stand-up nights ?

• Like 1