IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Great, actually. At least so I've heard, Radeon drivers are fully open source and not entirely crap like they used to be.

Game selection for Linux actually is fairly decent. I have just under 1000 of my games on Steam with Linux support, and that's just the ones I own.

yeas the amd boys did a flip

while nvidia is all closed and functioning at the level of intel integrated, amd is kicking ass in linux land

then you have the whole " fine wine" conspiracy, I have been a victim of this

see when I bought my Radieon HD 7570 it was slower than a Geforce 760, but since AMD got all in kahootz with them console gents everyone is optimising for their gear, and while yes my card is still slower than a Geforce 760 on older games, its just a shade bit faster than a 950 on new ones

it got sweeter with time, running brand new games on a 2014? card in 1080 ultra settings over 60fps (nevermind it sucks more watts than an indyblow blow campaign for a neo retro game system)

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 2

So the Retron 77 is up for pre-order and ships in July for only 70 bucks. Perhaps Atari should take a hard look at what others are doing with all things Atari that they are not.

Apple... Atari. Same thing, right? Five letters in each name, both start with an 'A', and end on a vowel. That totally justifies AtariVCSboxCorp, Inc.'s pricing.

Right? Right? Amirite?

(Typing this on a Macbook Pro, so offended Apple fanbois can sod right the hell off.)

• Like 2

(Typing this on a Macbook Pro, so offended Apple fanbois can sod right the hell off.)

phhft I am typing this on a mac SE, no newcrapple shit for me, John Sculley or die, anything newer is FAKE NEWS

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 3

Linux isn't the problem. It's OK for gaming these days, and indeed the PC games industry was fully preparing to jump ship to it a few years back when it looked like Microsoft were trying to turn Windows into a closed platform. You might not get the full range of AAA games, but for indies and emulation you're giving away relatively little by using it.

Similarly, the A10 isn't much of an issue either. It might be a somewhat mediocre CPU but for a sub-$200 computer there aren't exactly a plethora of more capable options to go for.

It's just the combination of the two, on a platform curated by Atari and with over a year until it's due, that combine to make the whole thing a miserable proposition. Even if we're to assume that they can deliver the hardware on time, the chances of it getting any significant exclusive content seem remote.

• Like 5

So, you are saying that Atari "left the market" (which equals out of the gaming business) and "they completely ran out of money" (i.e. bankrupt). Sorry, but you proved my point instead of countering it.

"Sega decided to quit the console business and become a 3rd party gaming studio, so it has continued on as a company without totally being bankrupt and out of the gaming business like 3DO, Atari, etc."

Atari Corp. didn't go bankrupt. They left the market before they completely ran out of money.

The people who are into this seem to be REALLY into it, and they won't let the haters bring them down.

post-2410-0-92772100-1528898604_thumb.png

So that Atari E3 presentation was really something, wasn't it? Wait ... what?

post-2410-0-98549300-1528899129.png

Question: How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

post-2410-0-95199700-1528899170.png

Answer: I'll tell you tomorrow. "Stay tuned!"

post-2410-0-15992300-1528899192.png

Is this REALLY a good idea?

post-2410-0-96496000-1528899222.png

Hey Chameleon Kids! Remember "Mister Lee" from the "Goldeneye Room?"

post-2410-0-10492400-1528899268.png

More proof that Atari is a fair-weather-friend of the LGBTQ community. Also, the fact that "people are drooling" over the AtariBox design could be evidence of something else entirely.

post-2410-0-15950600-1528899346.png

WARNING: TRIGGER ALERT. Misplaced apostrophe. For me, this is disqualifying even if it were otherwise a good system (which it is not).

post-2410-0-63301900-1528899560.png

Yes, "let's see what happens." But give us money in advance. The spirit of J. Wellington Wimpy lives on forever. Maybe he needs an entertainment console named after him?

post-2410-0-53140100-1528899685.png

2600 Forever, on 11 Jun 2018 - 11:46 PM, said:

Man, I have not looked at this thread in a while, but why even repeat the bull they are selling? The Coleco scammers at least had some hot babes. Sad.

Obviously you haven't seen the Atari VCS Leadership Team, not really. Much like the Atari VCS itself, what they are showing in their corporate headshots is only a tiny fraction of the whole package. "This is just the beginning."

post-2410-0-43418400-1528898674.jpg

• Like 7

The people who are into this seem to be REALLY into it, and they won't let the haters bring them down.

Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 10.01.48 AM.png

1 e3 was really something.png

2 how do you keep an idiot in suspense.png

4 i'll tell you tomorrow.png

3 is it really a good idea.png

5 is it mister lee.png

More proof that Atari is a fair-weather-friend of the LGBTQ community. Also, the fact that "people are drooling" over the AtariBox design could be evidence of something else entirely.

6 i thought you guys were friends of lbgtq.png

WARNING: TRIGGER ALERT. Misplaced apostrophe. For me, this is disqualifying even if it were otherwise a good system (which it is not).

7 disqualifying greengrocer apostrophe.png

Yes, "let's see what happens." But give us money in advance. The spirit of J. Wellington Wimpy lives on forever. Maybe he needs an entertainment console named after him?

8 yes lets see.png

Obviously you haven't seen the Atari VCS Leadership Team. Much like the Atari VCS itself, what they are showing is only a tiny fraction of the whole package. "This is just the beginning."

The Atari VCS Leadership Team.jpg

Maybe we should start our own magazine and have a special section dedicated to the new VCS. I really don't see what they are going to be able to put in it. Linux, design of case, specs, and.....what exactly? His magazine is going to be basically a flyer after issue one.

• Like 2

With what to do with the unsold speakerhats; just dump them in place of those E.T. cartridges instead. Bury them deep. Very deep.

Give them to me. I like the look of them and they would be great to wear when working in my garden. Doesn't for me to handle my bluetooth speaker with dirty hands and it follows me. So if they don't want to just give them to me I offer my garden spot as the place to bury them.

• Like 1

Maybe we should start our own magazine and have a special section dedicated to the new VCS. I really don't see what they are going to be able to put in it. Linux, design of case, specs, and.....what exactly? His magazine is going to be basically a flyer after issue one.

I feel like we kinda are already. There's a lot of silliness in this thread, but also information you won't find elsewhere. I know it looks like I'm amplifying the signal for a dumb, doomed project, but I think it's "important" to document some of this crap so it doesn't go *poof* when Atari SA decides to erase history or forget to pay a hosting bill.

The articles under discussion for (ugh) AtariAge Magazine are likely to be retreads of "Linux for Beginners" articles you can find online or at the newsstand every month. I wonder if they'll charge money for it?

• Like 3

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-06-13 at 10.01.48 AM.png

attachicon.gif1 e3 was really something.png

attachicon.gif2 how do you keep an idiot in suspense.png

attachicon.gif4 i'll tell you tomorrow.png

attachicon.gif3 is it really a good idea.png

attachicon.gif5 is it mister lee.png

attachicon.gif6 i thought you guys were friends of lbgtq.png

attachicon.gif7 disqualifying greengrocer apostrophe.png

attachicon.gif8 yes lets see.png

Obviously you haven't seen the Atari VCS Leadership Team, not really. Much like the Atari VCS itself, what they are showing in their corporate headshots is only a tiny fraction of the whole package. "This is just the beginning."

attachicon.gifThe Atari VCS Leadership Team.jpg

Sounds like this Atari guy is just talking to himself. It must be a lot of work loging in and out of accounts just to have a conversation with yourself :)

On the magazine topic. I LOVE MAGAZINES, I have a mint collection of Starlog right next to me, but c'mon .. that's a dead format.

• Like 1

Ok how much did they pay you to say that?

One. Billion. Dollars. This is actually being typed by my supermodel assistant on my off-shore yacht.

On a related note: How many fast-food taco gift certificates do you get for every positive post you crap on?

I feel like we kinda are already. There's a lot of silliness in this thread, but also information you won't find elsewhere. I know it looks like I'm amplifying the signal for a dumb, doomed project, but I think it's "important" to document some of this crap so it doesn't go *poof* when Atari SA decides to erase history or forget to pay a hosting bill.

The articles under discussion for (ugh) AtariAge Magazine are likely to be retreads of "Linux for Beginners" articles you can find online or at the newsstand every month. I wonder if they'll charge money for it?

I was like thinking it would be an uber shitty version of the MagPi magazine for the RaspberryPi. Maybe he can write an article explaining how to install Retropie on it....
  • Like 3

New Amazon FireTV dingus coming in a week. $119 (joining the family of $50 and $30 existing products)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBTFNVA/

• Fire TV Cube is the first hands-free streaming media player with Alexa, delivering an all-in-one entertainment experience. From across the room, just ask Alexa to turn on the TV, dim the lights, and play what you want to watch.
  • With far-field voice recognition, eight microphones, and beamforming technology, Fire TV Cube hears you from any direction. Enjoy hands-free voice control—search, play, pause, fast forward, and more. Plus, control your TV, sound bar, cable or satellite box, receiver, and more with just your voice.
  • Do more with Alexa. Fire TV Cube has a built-in speaker that lets you check the weather, listen to the news, control compatible smart home devices, and more—even with the TV off. Fire TV Cube is always getting smarter with new Alexa skills and voice functionality.
  • Experience true-to-life picture quality and sound with access to vivid 4K Ultra HD up to 60 fps, HDR, and the audio clarity of Dolby Atmos.
  • Enjoy tens of thousands of channels, apps, and Alexa skills. Get over 500,000 movies and TV episodes from Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, HBO, SHOWTIME, NBC, and more.
  • Access YouTube, Facebook, Reddit, and more websites with Silk and Firefox browsers.
  • An Amazon Prime membership unlocks thousands of movies and TV episodes including "Thursday Night Football" and Prime Originals like “The Big Sick” and “Sneaky Pete”.
  • Enjoy unlimited access to tens of millions of songs with Amazon Music, starting at just $3.99/month.

You know what's funny to me? It can play lots more games than AtariVCS has announced (possibly more than it ever will), but gaming as a feature isn't even mentioned in their product pitch.

I love the way the big evil companies can just announce these products and then ship them a week later.

• Like 6

yeas the amd boys did a flip

while nvidia is all closed and functioning at the level of intel integrated, amd is kicking ass in linux land

then you have the whole " fine wine" conspiracy, I have been a victim of this

see when I bought my Radieon HD 7570 it was slower than a Geforce 760, but since AMD got all in kahootz with them console gents everyone is optimising for their gear, and while yes my card is still slower than a Geforce 760 on older games, its just a shade bit faster than a 950 on new ones

it got sweeter with time, running brand new games on a 2014? card in 1080 ultra settings over 60fps (nevermind it sucks more watts than an indyblow blow campaign for a neo retro game system)

Ha, nvidia definitely performs better than Intel, and because some functions seem to only ever be in bleeding edge Mesa, nvidia still is king of performance in Linux. I haven't used a Radeon in quite some time, only have an opinion based upon what I've read from the 'we must have all open source and no DRM' people. I at least see where they're coming from, but when I see requirements for nVidia for most Feral games, I tend to go with that.

post-2641-0-77813700-1528911529.jpeg

I'm sure Albert will be happy to post some front-page news about the Ataribox.

Just as soon as it actually exists.

Right now, it would just be a photo of nothing with the headline, "Nope."

• Like 10