IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Meanwhile, these fine people were at E3 and they just announced their console a few weeks ago :)

Good for them!

And in case anyone wants to accuse me of being inconsistent because I'm cheering for Intellivision while raking "Atari" over the coals: there are big differences between what the two companies are doing. First, the Blue Sky Rangers are still involved in Intellivision Productions, so the Intellivision remains under the stewardship of its original creators, not some kooky Frenchmen who only care about cashing in on the name (while offloading all the risk onto their crowdfunding backers).

Second, Intellivision Productions has had a consistent track record in developing new Intellivision products over the last 20+ years: the original "Intellivision Lives" and "Intellivision Rocks" collections on CD-ROM, the Plug and Play units, "Intellivision Lives" for the Nintendo DS, the Intellivision Flashback, etc. Each one was successful in creatively using current technologies to reintroduce the Intellivision games to new audiences.

Third (and this is where I have to disagree slightly with our friends Pat and Ian of the #CUPodcast), the original Intellivision games are generally of high quality and still have enough name recognition to make them marketable today. They sold something like two million of the Plug and Play units in the mid-2000s, and I think there's enough room in today's market for an updated console at the right price point. All they have to do is stick to the basics: don't try to make it a game console, and a Netflix box for the moms, and a "holistic ecosystem", and so on.

• Like 13

Holy hell is that a really good way to turn your comment section a war-ground.

I agree ... fortunately for AtariBox,

the Haters can't speak (without contributing),

the True Believers don't care, and

the vast majority of the world still thinks Atari is a joke prop from the 1970s and isn't paying attention -- or money -- to this.

• Like 2

I do appreciate Dave's (Historian's) opinion on the subject as a Community Manager. If this is how these Atari SA ass clowns are handling their communications while they're still in fundraising (before the sale) mode, just imagine what clusterf&ckery awaits once their backers are locked in.

• Like 8

Every time I start to feel bad about someone who is actually having to save up money to order a VCS, and are sad because they are missing out on the speaker hat and game band...I don't.

Dammit...there are penalties for being stupid. If you're genuinely disappointed that you weren't able to have money stolen by the game band campaign, you DESERVE to lose it. It's just a pity it's being lost to the ass clowns running these rackets.

• Like 7

"Tribute Edition" :-o :-o :-o :-o

Let's be clear ... that's not meant in the sense of "pay a tribute to good old Atari"

That's meant in the "sacrifice your virgins to Kali" sense of the term.

Would you like to help them draft the "This is a difficult update to write" message, or shall I?

• Like 8

I do appreciate Dave's (Historian's) opinion on the subject as a Community Manager. If this is how these Atari SA ass clowns are handling their communications while they're still in fundraising (before the sale) mode, just imagine what clusterf&ckery awaits once their backers are locked in.

Absolutely.

Bad for two reasons, you don't chastise people in public and you certainly don't day people are "clogging" the comments. The first engenders bad will (don't bite the hand that feeds you) and the second invites more people to join in and because it looks like the are trying to force a narrative.

• Like 4

I just noticed the controller numbers were reset to zero. I know I'm being cynical, but I wonder if it's not to obfuscate.

The numbers below are from a version of the page still open from earlier. Each was listed with a max of 10,000.

305 joysticks

180 modern controllers

1733 joystick + controller

• Like 3

To get the Atari VCS Tribute Edition All In or wait for the next Xbox console in 2020 for (probably more or less) the same price :? Tough call....

Holy smokes.

All prices are now full. The Early Birds are dead. There were still plenty this morning.

A new (old) hotness has arrived (as predicted):

attachicon.gifAtariTributeEdition.JPG

attachicon.gifatariNewPrices.JPG

Edited for smaller pix.

Holy hell is that a really good way to turn your comment section a war-ground.

I would have posted one more comment pointing out they are contradicting themselves. Then I would remove my funding if I was that person.
  • Like 1

17449964.gif

we appreciate your support and curiosity for more info, but lets please agree to stop clogging up the comments board with cut and paste stuff like this okay? We are a small team and try to respond to very comment and will look forward to answering actual questions. Cool? ;-)

giphy.gif

• Like 9

Oh, and they lied about the discounts/regular price.

Current Onyx console price then the "regular" price is in parentheses from the quote:

- Console only $219 ($299)

- Console + joystick: $248 ($329--only sold separately now)

- Console "All In" $299 ($379)

The Early Bird was supposed to end on 06/06.

They still have:

- 126 Console only $199 ($299 reg. price)

- 334 Console + Joystick $229 ($329)

- 351 Console "All In" $279 ($379)

811 consoles left, six days later.

I really think this isn't going as gangbusters as they wanted.

What's going to happen when each console package goes up $100?

Edited to add screenshots, since I still had that page open from this morning:

post-39941-0-45523300-1529098615_thumb.png