IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

With 14 days left for Atari to rattle the tin cup in the direction of easy marks retrogaming enthusiasts who are fond of the storied and beloved brand, we have the following happening:

• Laughably poor damage control by Atari SA (or their agents) towards backers who have dared to question Atari's plans or abilities to produce actual working hardware - which has the capacity to turn into a shitstorm of very public and very bad PR for them in a heartbeat
  • A crowdfunding campaign that has flatlined over the last 10 days, even though it is still featured as a front-page campaign on Indiegogo (advertising is evidently a better use of company funds than building hardware or software to run on the hardware)
  • Speaking of the crowdfunding campaign flatlining, a large chunk of that is likely due to the early-bird special pricing ending, making the products even less attractive to a potential pigeon market-savvy crowdfunding backer looking to get in on the ground floor of this entertainment revolution
  • The above point additionally not being helped by a hardware specification reveal that failed to meet even the incredibly modest expectations that had been set for it
  • "We were totally at E3! What do you mean you didn't see us? No, that was when the entire company had gone to the restroom at the same time. That other time? Oh, yeah, we were all at the taco stand across the street. No, that one was when we were in big important meetings with big important companies also totally at E3!"
  • Communication from Atari SA that makes the word 'patronising' cringe at the possibility of being used to describe it

At this point, it's like watching a clown car continuously disgorge bad ideas, and each of the bad ideas is carrying a sign that starts with the words, "How not to..." before describing the bad idea in question.

• Like 13

ROFLMFAO, you somehow inexplicably managed to beat the Atari's absurd posts of today :)

What are you ? 20-30 years old ?

Given the predominantly (and/or soon-to-be) geriatric age group of these boards, if anything, lack of sex actually removes the tension, because by definition, you are not exposed to the de iure bullshit usually associated with interacting with the opposite sex (excluding the "temporarily silent household" scenario, of course).

Ok... I'm confused. I don't mean to brag, but I'm fairly intelligent, have multiple degrees, and I'm usually pretty cognizant of what's going on. Can you explain this? Are you saying lack of sex at home allows people to communicate easier with the opposite sex on message boards???

Why do people buy things in hopes it will become a collectors items? 99.9% of collectables are collectibles by accident. You can't dictate what will be collectable by releasing less of it :) In the 80's Star Wars action figures weren't labeled collectable, or limited edition or whatever, they ended up being collectable by accident.

post-53348-0-33980600-1529165815.png

• Like 10

(not to mention that every time I come back here, I am just aghast at how much more this looks like a fucking scam...they are pulling...every...fucking...trick in the book....)

How long until we get the 41st anniversary editions?

-Thom

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 1

Atari VCS PR calls RGT85 "fake news". haha real professional

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKjJix3PLMk

Ugh. He'd make salient points, but then backpedals by kissing up to Atari. Also, WTH is this "everybody was fooled by Coleco Chameleon" thing? I'm certain there's a whole thread here of people who weren't fooled, and were the ones who broke the SNES jr and DVR card stories.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just grumpy because I haven't had tacos in months.

Edit: But good for him with sticking to his guns.

• Like 4

I honestly just love the fact that the AtariVCS thread is chock full of people who have said, "The whole fake video has been debunked, guys... That's old news..."

sigh...

-Thom

Yeah, as if them pasting over it with "we TOLD you it was depicted for illustration purposes only" makes it more desirable ... or that it not being an out-and-out money-stealing SCAM makes it a valuable purchase.

Ah well, the 11,000 people who have already cast their vote are unlikely to be swayed by logical arguments at this point in time. They'll figure it out eventually.

• Like 5