IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

The thought of removing our Xbox One's streaming apps to do everything through the browser makes my head hurt. Not to mention, as I showed, the AVCS is advertised as a media streaming device. That implies things, like a Netflix app easy enough for a mom to use.

Yup, that doesn't sound like much fun at all. Fortunately, PS4 and Xbone (and 50 other things) have apps you can use instead. The statistical probability of a "mom" using the 2019 Atari VCS for streaming video has got to be vanishingly small, hard to measure, not unlike the rightmost portion of this chart.

post-2410-0-09758500-1529423874_thumb.png

according to the arzt interview they'll have app versions as soon as other people decide it's a good idea to make them

That's my read as well. It seems reasonable to expect some more information from them soon. When they say, "we have only just begun," I hear "the check is in the mail." I wonder when their honeymoon period with the backers is up? Of course, those of us watching at home were screaming not to get into that van in the first place, but ...

post-2410-0-24814600-1529424036.pngpost-2410-0-74120400-1529424046.pngpost-2410-0-28896300-1529424054.pngpost-2410-0-36114700-1529424062.png

I'm the exact opposite. I refuse to download a dedicated "app" for anything that I can accomplish on a modern web broswer. That's just providing another excuse for companies to track our internet useage. :roll:

Erm, can't tell if you're joking or not, but I feel that a dedicated app is less (not more) likely to share your info than a cookie-infested browser. Anything digital is trackable to your IP whether you're logged into a service or not, and most things worth watching generally work better if you've authenticated. If you're on the internet, you're being tracked, unless you want to live the Stallman lifestyle. I know you've said you've browsed AtariAge on the 3DS browser, but would you really want to use the AtariBox browser, at TV resolution, from the couch, for streaming video?

The Fire TV Cube, out in two days for $120, seems like a smarter option, assuming your TV doesn't have everything you want already built in. It plays games, too!

"Atari's" latest comment storm is all about how their "legendary" Fuji logo is the best brand mascot they could have, "so we always lead with that." I expect we'll see a lot more milking of that over the next week or so while the campaign wraps up. I wonder if they could sell an "Atari TV" with a woodgrain case to appeal to the same crowd as the VCS backers?

• Like 5

When they say, "we have only just begun," I hear "the check is in the mail." I wonder when their honeymoon period with the backers is up? Of course, those of us watching at home were screaming not to get into that van in the first place, but ...

Hey, when they wake up on the side of the road with their knickers on backwards, and they're hitchin' a ride whining and crying, don't expect me to pick them up. Darwin rules apply.

cersei-walk-of-shame.gif

There's been more than one post today I wasn't sure if satire or serious.

Anyway, I deleted all my XB1 apps and freed up ~500MB (of 1TB), reclaimed my privacy, and ordered a nice hair shirt to wear while streaming.

:P

For the numerically challenged:

1TB is 1000GB, and 500MB is 0.5 GB, which is a rounding error on a drive of this size, even if the formatted space is smaller than 1TB.

post-2410-0-72785000-1529428153.png

It's possible that storage space will be an issue on AtariBox, if they stick to the 32GB spec they have quoted for cost purposes.

post-2410-0-26552100-1529428239.png

Remember, of course, that a 1TB Xbox One S costs $239, same as the AtariBox, except available today.

There are 1,573 available games for the Xbox One. AtariBox has announced exactly two for sure: Atari Vault (available everywhere else) and Tempest 4000 (coming everywhere else, soon). Atari says "we are not trying to compete with Xbox, we are doing their own thing."

post-2410-0-89405000-1529429435.jpg

post-2410-0-12304200-1529429165.png

I'm not sure exactly what it is they're doing, but this is clear enough ...

post-2410-0-52812700-1529429196.png

• Like 7

This thing is being spammed to hell all over Facebook and Twitter now. It's ridiculous!

And google adwords and youtube. Literally every single ad I've encountered over the last couple of weeks has been for this campaign. They are easily spending tens of thousands on ads, if not venturing into the 6 figures (adwords ain't cheap)

I have Adblock but only on one PC and not on my Netbook, which I also use (casually)...

I'm a proud Hater and yet (Not remembering on which machine) I am Definitely seeing ads for this thing all over!

Maybe I'll make it a point in the future to see if they're getting through my adblocker or if I'm only seeing them on my Netbook...

1TB is 1000GB, and 500MB is 0.5 GB, which is a rounding error on a drive of this size, even if the formatted space is smaller than 1TB.

attachicon.gifvideo apps.png

It's possible that storage space will be an issue on AtariBox, if they stick to the 32GB spec they have quoted for cost purposes.

attachicon.gifataribox storage.png

Remember, of course, that a 1TB Xbox One S costs $239, same as the AtariBox, except available today.

There are 1,573 available games for the Xbox One. AtariBox has announced exactly two for sure: Atari Vault (available everywhere else) and Tempest 4000 (coming everywhere else, soon). Atari says "we are not trying to compete with Xbox, we are doing their own thing."

attachicon.gifgraph.jpg

attachicon.gifya think.png

I'm not sure exactly what it is they're doing, but this is clear enough ...

attachicon.gifno refunds after the campaign.png

If it’s not meant to compete with the other consoles, who is the target audience?

Just some people who remember Atari that want to relive their youth? Isn’t that what emulators are for?

Just what exactly are they trying to accomplish with this stupid project?

• Like 8

If it’s not meant to compete with the other consoles, who is the target audience?

Just some people who remember Atari that want to relive their youth? Isn’t that what emulators are for?

That's pretty much the crux of this entire monster thread.

• Like 10

I was kind of expecting one more pie chart, how those 500 MB relates to a storage capacity of 32 GB. While it will be a visible chunk, few modern console games would be possible to fit within those extra 500 MB anyway, unless of course Atari VCS games are significantly smaller than other games. Perhaps a bit more space for user profiles and game saves if you skip the streaming apps.

I was kind of expecting one more pie chart, how those 500 MB relates to a storage capacity of 32 GB. While it will be a visible chunk, few modern console games would be possible to fit within those extra 500 MB anyway, unless of course Atari VCS games are significantly smaller than other games. Perhaps a bit more space for user profiles and game saves if you skip the streaming apps.

Not to worry. There won't be enough AtariBox specific software to fill it up, and the target audience isn't going to take it out of the box.

• Like 6

Atari in a nutshell:

We want to create an all in one modern device that totally doesn't compete with the modern consoles even though it costs just as much if not more than a modern console and it can totally play brand new modern games that are being released on current systems but that's just a bonus since we aren't competing with the modern systems. And anything that contradicts what we just said is fake news generated by haters who don't understand the Atari brand. Now who wants to invest in our gay dating app?

• Like 7

What are the chances that as more info comes out about how bad this thing may actually turn out to be (or not be) that the backers start demanding refunds before the campaign ends and the refund window closes? Could we see that 3 million trickle back to almost nothing?

What are the chances that as more info comes out about how bad this thing may actually turn out to be (or not be) that the backers start demanding refunds before the campaign ends and the refund window closes? Could we see that 3 million trickle back to almost nothing?

I will never understand the minds of someone who backed this in the first place, such a person is obviously wired differently from me. There appear to be a few glimmers of what I would call sanity, though.

post-2410-0-59617000-1529454049.pngpost-2410-0-61377900-1529454058_thumb.png

There are a lot more anonymous $406 pledges from around the same time, though. Will they turn around in the end? They can, but there are only 10 days left to do so. I doubt they'll ALL quit.

I expect a lot more promises of "just you wait!" and "the haters are gonna wish they had signed up at the beginning" rhetoric from the person answering campaign questions. It'll be fun if they get all breathless and desperate for people to stay, or pissy at the "professional YouTube" videos.

giphy.gif

• Like 7