IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Just what exactly are they trying to accomplish with this stupid project?

To keep their paychecks coming for another year or more. Mr Chesnais and his close circle must be doing fairly well for themselves.

I guess the fact that you are a soulless ghoul feeding on a nostalgia flavoured corpse is not that relevant when the benjamins are still flowing.

Except he's going to use it to display VCS game carts. Oh, wait, Vee Cee Ess doesn't take carts anymore. Better to get a Retron77 instead! :rolling:

You should've opted for the Special Collector's Tribute Limited Bomb-Diggity Edition for only $99.

attachicon.gif210STAC162-packnwood1.jpg

Yess! We need more wood in our lives. In fact anything cased in plastic or metal should be banned.

I demand automakers start building cars out of wood again. Jury rig a v8 engine block, attach a drive train to a wooden axle and drop inside a 19th century carriage. That would be fun to drive for all of ten minutes before the axle snaps due to being subjected to a torque roughly equal to the power output of 100 horses... :P

• Like 2

I'm the exact opposite. I refuse to download a dedicated "app" for anything that I can accomplish on a modern web broswer. That's just providing another excuse for companies to track our internet useage. :roll:

I just wanted to clarify a few things. My comment wasn't directed at streaming apps per say but rather websites. Yahoo mail has it's own app, as do most other free email providers. Youtube has it's own app. Facebook. Twitter. Tapatalk. Reddit. Amazon. Ebay. Paypal. Walmart. Target. Best Buy. The list goes on and on, but every one of those websites works just fine for stuff like Chrome / Firefox on Android, or Opera / Safari if you use iOS. On my Galaxy Tab A, which I happen to be using right now, due to Google integration, I had to disable the Youtube app and set preferences to open youtube links inside Chrome. It's unnecessary to switch back and forth when I'm clicking embedded videos on a forum or posting a video link.

But yes, if you're streaming music or movies on a tablet, smart tv, or game console, by all means use the app specifically designed for it. It's just there are a lot of unnecessary "apps" out there asking to please download, that take up storage on your device.

• Like 3

But yes, if you're streaming music or movies on a tablet, smart tv, or game console, by all means use the app specifically designed for it. It's just there are a lot of unnecessary "apps" out there asking to please download, that take up storage on your device.

There's an easier way around this, at least for a static device like That Ataribox, or a Smart TV, or a set-top box.

Sign up a free email account used specifically for your interactions with that device and assign it to the device. Don't use it anywhere else; just keep it reserved for that one.

It's not necessary to go full Stallman to be able to protect your privacy, but one of the few things I will give him credit for is living the lifestyle in that regard.

I just wanted to clarify a few things. My comment wasn't directed at streaming apps per say but rather websites. Yahoo mail has it's own app, as do most other free email providers. Youtube has it's own app. Facebook. Twitter. Tapatalk. Reddit. Amazon. Ebay. Paypal. Walmart. Target. Best Buy. The list goes on and on, but every one of those websites works just fine for stuff like Chrome / Firefox on Android, or Opera / Safari if you use iOS. On my Galaxy Tab A, which I happen to be using right now, due to Google integration, I had to disable the Youtube app and set preferences to open youtube links inside Chrome. It's unnecessary to switch back and forth when I'm clicking embedded videos on a forum or posting a video link.

Unless you want push notifications (useful for email, amazon, ebay), better browsing (infinite scrolling in the reddit app), easy authentication for sensitive apps (paypal and banking for example), nifty geolocation features (apple store self-checkout) or other integrations (facebook is aces for draining your battery) ... but yeah, apps that replicate features on websites aren't great. I can get behind that.

Since we are talking about a TV console, the subject was streaming video to the TV console. Really the only thing AtariBox has in common with a mobile device is the expensive, limited storage space. 32GB in 2019 is fine for a budget tablet, but a PC?

Are you going to use your $33 Ataribox controller as a media remote? I'm guessing not.

• Like 2

I can't believe I just found this article, written shortly after the 'box's first announcement. This guy killed it.

http://cliqist.com/2017/07/19/ataribox-devastating-indie-developers/

Yeah, that's why this thing isn't going to get any exclusives and is unlikely to even get many native ports. A console needs sales in the millions to support a viable gaming ecosystem these days, and there's a heck of a long way to go to get there from 11,000 or so.

Woman's thumb is cut off. Not sure if consequence of handing the Ataribox [may contain sharp edges], or Photoshop error! :rolling:

On the original image, the thumb seems to be inside the the towel (??) they're holding. Let's pretend there is a ventilation hole right there where she inserts her thumb.

Edit: Or maybe it is an iPad she is holding. I can't determine the difference between an iPad and a towel.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

I can't believe I just found this article, written shortly after the 'box's first announcement. This guy killed it.

http://cliqist.com/2017/07/19/ataribox-devastating-indie-developers/

Excellent write-up. It could've been written yesterday, and he wouldn't need to change a word.

Or six months from now.

Or next year.

• Like 9

There's a hole in my console, dear Atari, dear Atari

There's a hole in my console, dear Atari, a hole.

We'll fix it, dear customer, dear customer, dear customer

We'll fix it ,dear customer, dear customer, fix it.

With what shall you fix it, dear Atari, dear Atari?

With what shall you fix it, dear Atari, with what?

With electrical tape, dear customer, dear customer, dear customer

With electrical tape, dear customer, dear customer, with electrical tape

But won't that look ugly, dear Atari, dear Atari?

Won't that look ugly, dear Atari, look ugly?

We'll cut it with ridges, dear customer, dear customer, dear customer

Cut it with ridges, dear customer, dear customer, with ridges!

Can't I have woodgrain instead, dear Atari, dear Atari?

Woodgrain instead, dear Atari, woodgrain?

.... well, I've already lost the format of the original lyrics so I'd better stop there.

• Like 8

AtariAge Magazine updates: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/atarivcsforum/atari-age-returns-new-pdf-pub-site-coming-copies-w-t22.html

He secured http://atariagemagazine.com (generic landing page) and has six issues ready to roll. Wants to secure advertisers and possibly subscribers.

Suck it, haters!

Here's the current landing page to save a click:

post-39941-0-10873000-1529492030_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

AtariAge Magazine updates: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/atarivcsforum/atari-age-returns-new-pdf-pub-site-coming-copies-w-t22.html

He secured http://atariagemagazine.com (generic landing page) and has six issues ready to roll. Wants to secure advertisers and possibly subscribers.

Suck it, haters!

Here's the current landing page to save a click:

AtariAgeMagazine.JPG

The editor is quite the ideas man.

"Mostly I just want a quality support product first - and wherever it leads comes second. If I wasn't dying to start immediately, I'd arrange a launch-deal and produce it with Atari SA in lock-step, but I prefer the idea of being independent because (honestly) some of the ideas I'll be floating to users would cause lawyers to lose their shit (Kodi alone - woof)."

• Like 3

I'd just like to stress at this point that Kodi is perfectly legal and the team behind it would doubtless be more than happy if Atari were to include it and pre-package it with a load of legitimate streams.

They just draw the line at being used for internet pirate TV which is, somewhat sadly, the use to which most people would put it.

• Like 1