IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I'd just like to stress at this point that Kodi is perfectly legal and the team behind it would doubtless be more than happy if Atari were to include it and pre-package it with a load of legitimate streams.

They just draw the line at being used for internet pirate TV which is, somewhat sadly, the use to which most people would put it.

Agreed, Kodi isn't illegal by itself. Just like the Atari 8-bit emulators touted by the VCS IGG campaign spokesperson since they're not going to do the work themselves. Atari SA's lawyers seem to be more concerned with protecting trademarks and copyrights on their own meager intellectual property than worrying about potential infringement on others.

Not that it matters to the ever-faithful. "Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you."

post-2410-0-29755800-1529500822_thumb.png

• Like 1

Your weaksauce attempts at baiting might work if they weren't coming from someone who was born after the Jag had already gone tits up. ;)

Jag wasnt made by original atari

Neither was the Lynx, 7800, most of the home computer line, and Ataris forgotten line of PC compatibles, as far as I know.

I think the openness aspect of VCS fits well into classical atari design philosophy in some ways. Ive heard Atari computer users back in the day comprised a lot of the geeky DIY crowd...

Edited by AlecRob

Sorry for the delay. I lost the link to the conversation, but here's the exchange I had with #NotMyAtari

attachicon.gif1.png

attachicon.gif2.png

attachicon.gif3.png

attachicon.gif4.png

attachicon.gif5.png

I don't know who is answering the questions but they are awful and should beaten soundly with the keyboard they typed on. I haven't cringed this much since Zuckerburg started his "Online communities make our physical communities stronger" efforts.

• Like 10

I don't know who is answering the questions but they are awful and should beaten soundly with the keyboard they typed on. I haven't cringed this much since Zuckerburg started his "Online communities make our physical communities stronger" efforts.

I just want to say: FUCK ZUCK. I always thought everyone uploading their shit to FB was the CIA's wet dream....Thanks to Snowden, we know it's true!

Jag wasnt made by original atari

Neither was the Lynx, 7800, most of the home computer line, and Ataris forgotten line of PC compatibles, as far as I know.

Arguing that Warner-era Atari or Tramiel-era Atari were not the "real Atari", or that only the "original Atari" is the "real Atari," is pointless. It's like arguing that you are not the "real you" or the "original you" just because every cell that was in your body at the moment you were born has since been replaced. As I explained earlier, every corporate incarnation of Atari prior to JTS existed on a continuum, which was broken forever by the "reverse-merger" in 1996. Today's "Atari," on the other hand, is like someone who dug up a dead celebrity's body, stripped off their skin, started wearing it like a cape, and then walked around demanding that the deceased person's fans admire them and treat them as if they were the real thing.

I think the openness aspect of VCS fits well into classical atari design philosophy in some ways. Ive heard Atari computer users back in the day comprised a lot of the geeky DIY crowd...

I'm curious to know what the supporters of the "Atari VCS" consider to be "open" about it. All I ever hear about is DRM, closed ecosystems, and walled gardens. Just because it runs Linux doesn't mean that it is "open."

• Like 11

Arguing that Warner-era Atari or the Tramiel-era Atari were not the "real Atari" or the "original Atari" is pointless. It's like arguing that you are not the "real you" or the "original you" just because every cell that was in your body at the moment you were born has since been replaced. As I explained earlier, every corporate incarnation of Atari prior to JTS existed on a continuum, which was broken forever by the "reverse-merger" in 1996. Today's "Atari," on the other hand, is like someone who dug up a dead celebrity's body, stripped off their skin, started wearing it like a cape, and then walked around demanding that the deceased person's fans admire them and treat them as if they were the real thing.

Today's Atari is like if you had a cool uncle who made neat stuff and smoked weed all the time, and then he was transferred into some new corporation where they told him to stop smoking dope and show up to work on time, then he retired from the company and moved to Bangladesh to sell T-shirts and got arrested for possession. Eventually he got extradited back to the US where he started selling plastic Godzillas on the sidewalk, but he got hit by a bus and buried in an unmarked grave. Atari SA is the grave digger that stole his name tag from his rotting corpse just before pissing on his grave and covering him up. Figuratively speaking of course.

Based on how well they're handling themselves lately, another school of thought is they are a festering cold soar on Satan's penis.

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 5

It's like a Who's Who of shitty content mills! Thank goodness they exist to amplify the signal and pretend this item is desirable?

post-2410-0-84724800-1529525972_thumb.png

Nothing from "Atari" itself since this little bit of self-congratulation. Considering the frequency with which they shoot themselves in the foot, that might be for the best.

post-2410-0-57974200-1529526023_thumb.png

That Facebook flame exchange TOTALLY reads like someone trying to sell you their flood damaged car, but trying to make you feel bad for asking questions. Or a floundering zombie brand desperate to make One Last Deal. Since it was an image you posted, let me transcribe it into the record. So it's findable with a text search. With big type so it's easy to read.

post-144-0-48696600-1529508318.png

... this is America and you are entitled to your opinion, but today's Atari had nothing to do with any of the stuff you refer to. Atari is a profitable and reputable publicly traded entity with diverse business interests all based on very valuable IP and we are entitled to protect our property when we need to. Have a nice day.

giphy.gif

• Like 8

... this is America and you are entitled to your opinion, but today's Atari had nothing to do with any of the stuff you refer to. Atari is a profitable and reputable publicly traded entity with diverse business interests all based on very valuable IP and we are entitled to protect our property when we need to. Have a nice day.

Why does that remind me of this?

post-144-0-53548700-1529527552.jpg

• Like 6

I don't like comparing Atari to a person. Atari was a company; companies can change hands without ceasing to exist; people can't.

Better analogy: Imagine a small store. One day you see that it's closed; the old owners retired, & their kids didn't want to run it. A few years later someone buys & reopens the store, keeping the same name, but replacing all the personnel & most of the product line up. Is it the same store?

I'd say yes, but that doesn't mean you have to give it the same respect; the new owners need to prove themselves. Atari SA hasn't.

• Like 5

Just a reminder: Despite news stories that say the Collector's Edition "sold out all 6000 units", Atari neither sold 6000 CEs nor stopped selling them on the June 6th (IIRC) deadline. Unfortunately, I can't find a screenshot of the CE bundle with the date.

EDIT: They ran a few hours long, but they did end the CE donations on 06/11 as they said they would.

The woody has left the building. You missed your chance, suckers.

My last count, as of about an hour ago-

1891 - $299 Collector's edition w/Joystick.

3727 - $339 Collector's "All-In".

Tom's Hardware actually mildly called out Atari on the Tribute edition, even going so far as to suggest it may just be a "cash grab". They also don't seem impressed with the difference between the CE and TE.

Edited by PlaysWithWolves
  • Like 3