IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Maybe it's all for the cameras, and Tommy will come in and acquire Atari, saving us all from the Gallic nightmare that has been "Atari SA," finally completing what the M Network began.

We get to look at Tommy's handsome jawline and Fred gets to go back to doing whatever the hell he thinks he's playing at with cryptocurrency or some other fad of the week.

• Like 3

I don't know, I think it would be smart for Tommy to stay professional and stay out of this Atari BS. I know it sounds like fun to try to bring back the rivalry but I think the mud will back splash on Intellivision if they aren't too careful. It leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I also saw him on Facebook arguing with a critical non-fan that just seemed rather silly to me. Let US troll these people for you, you stay in the background creating something wonderful :)

Agreed. If a company wants to have credibility and a worthwhile brand that means something, all they have to do is be credible and do what they say they will do. Anything else is wasted effort that erodes credibility.

• Like 8

Oh I'm sure it could get worse.

-They could've got people to invest based on the name & render alone.

-Their prototype could've set the hotel room on fire.

-They could charge folks to become developers, before they have a working development system, or specs for a development system.

But, so far, yeah. It's pretty bad; worse than Sam Tramiel trying to tell magazines about the Jaguar.

Apparently, it's gotten worse. :(

<snip>

<snip>

<snip>

You guys know where I stand, as I've said it before. I know what to expect going into it. What I'm concerned about though, is all of the negativity may end up causing the entire thing to fail, which I tend to think some people may secretly want it to... for the sake of an "I told you so..." not suggesting the three of you feel that way (I don't know, but I assume not). I just don't want it to become a self-fulfilling prophecy, so to speak.

I think most of Atari SA's actions have been somewhat of a... an understanding of where they stand... which is very limited resources, but lots of great ideas. Seems like they want this to work, but are short on resources, don't have their PR campaign refined, etc. So they're thinking big on a shoe-string budget... and that does come with it risk. I just know support helps more than a negative attack campaign.

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA4bZEZJ-G8

Here is another video from the uber fan that Tipster talked to.

The proof is in the pudding.

Edit: The tweet was from April 20th, 2018...

Gotta comment... those old-school 1960s GSA Federal auctioned steel desks they have there are "bad-ass..." can't say that enough. I've always wanted one of those, they are awesome.

… but they weigh like 300 pounds, easy.

• Like 1

You guys know where I stand, as I've said it before. I know what to expect going into it. What I'm concerned about though, is all of the negativity may end up causing the entire thing to fail, which I tend to think some people may secretly want it to... for the sake of an "I told you so..." not suggesting the three of you feel that way (I don't know, but I assume not). I just don't want it to become a self-fulfilling prophecy, so to speak.

I think most of Atari SA's actions have been somewhat of a... an understanding of where they stand... which is very limited resources, but lots of great ideas. Seems like they want this to work, but are short on resources, don't have their PR campaign refined, etc. So they're thinking big on a shoe-string budget... and that does come with it risk. I just know support helps more than a negative attack campaign.

You're assigning us an awful lot of power if our negativity (I prefer "realism," but potato potahto) somehow causes "the entire thing to fail."

If they are in a situation that precarious where some meanies online put a halt to their efforts, they have no business making a console/set top/whatever.

They've only themselves to blame for any negativity here or elsewhere. Results and honesty would put paid to SO MUCH of their strife.

• Like 8

It's cool, you don't have to justify yourself to us. You're not collecting three million dollars without having earned it.

I totally want this to fail. I want it to be a thundering embarrassment for Atari, such that it serves as a Retro Chameleon type warning to anyone else who tries to pull this kind of stunt.

If it fails, it's not because of people like us. It's their project, their lack of ideas, their failure to follow through, their ineptitude in communicating why they deserve anyone's respect.

We've seen a bunch of people saying things like "nobody has proven that this is a scam yet," which is true, but is also a pretty odd fallacy. No one has proven that Atari Game Box LLC has any ability to pull this off in a way that would make anybody want it. Framing 10,000 sold units as a "success" only makes sense if you set the bar incredibly low. Game consoles live and die by having development, new things to play, a vibrant community. Building a box is necessary but far from sufficient. Atari SA hasn't even released a hit piece of software since their latest bankruptcy.

TL;DR: our disgust for this thing is an effect, not a cause

• Like 7

Gotta comment... those old-school 1960s GSA Federal auctioned steel desks they have there are "bad-ass..." can't say that enough. I've always wanted one of those, they are awesome.

… but they weigh like 300 pounds, easy.

I have always been a fan of the 60's "Tanker" desks. I'd love to get my hands on one, but like you said.. HEAVY!!!

They have some of the worst people you can have answering peoples questions and concerns on social media and on the campaign itself. I can't believe they have raised 2.912.700 dollars with their attitude.

I sometime think it's our friend M.K all over again with the same pattern doing the answering:

1. Promise people that the system will do (almost) everything they want.

2. Call all sceptics and negative people "trolls" "haters" and "conspiracy theorists", even journalists.

3. Go to complete silence after a week or 2.

Granted, about 20.000 $ or more of pledges have disappeared in a few days time, and I understand why when they treat people like crap.

• Like 8

I think most of Atari SA's actions have been somewhat of a... an understanding of where they stand... which is very limited resources, but lots of great ideas. Seems like they want this to work, but are short on resources, don't have their PR campaign refined, etc. So they're thinking big on a shoe-string budget... and that does come with it risk.

They said they have plenty of money to go forward, even without the campaign. The crowdfunding was for the "crowd" not the "funding".

I'm honestly amazed that even after what has been leaked, that people are still saying "wait and see" ... or my personal favorite, "Gee, all this negativity is going to kill the project."

What is it going to take to convince the believers that this was a scam from the word 'go' ?

-Thom

• Like 5

I'm honestly amazed that even after what has been leaked, that people are still saying "wait and see" ... or my personal favorite, "Gee, all this negativity is going to kill the project."

What is it going to take to convince the believers that this was a scam from the word 'go' ?

-Thom

Exactly. This crowdfunder is already generating the transference, denial and wish filfillment of a campaign that's stopped updating backers for months. The backers haven't even passed the point of no return and they're putting on bigger and bigger blinders to avoid acknowledging huge red flags that has their own better judgement screaming at them to get out. They're thrashing at their own internal conflict by casting blame on others for pointing out what they desperately want to avoid seeing themselves. They probably are also doing their damnedest to avoid acknowledging that Atari is trying to hide out until the refund window closes rather than providing any of the transparency everyone is reasonably expecting. Denial ain't just a river in Africa.

• Like 4

They said they have plenty of money to go forward, even without the campaign. The crowdfunding was for the "crowd" not the "funding".

Yeah, but you can bet that they won't have any money to refund any of the backers with if it fails to materialize.

I think he deleted or hid all his Atari videos. Must have heard the interview?

He took a pretty pro-AtariBox stance in the "debate" and had a whole series to the tune of "they haven't been proven a scam yet." What changed?

Handy infographic, for future reference:

post-2410-0-08799700-1529972172.gif

• Like 6

Something that absolutely must be understood:

IGG's terms of service expressly indicate that IGG is completely indemnified from any potential problems between the fundraisers and the backers.

Read that a few times, underline it until it makes a hole in your paper.

Couple this with the simple fact that money is transferred when the whole fundraiser ends, and you'll realize that by the time the backers understand that they've been fucked over, they have almost no legal recourse.

save a class action lawsuit.

(I will inject a bit of social commentary in here, and a prediction, WHEN Freddy and his bunch are fingered as scam artists, nothing will happen to them. Very simply, it's because Freddy did not raise money from traditional investors (aka RICH people), but from a crowdfunding source (aka NON-RICH people)... furthermore, I also predict that Frederic and his executives will do everything they can to distance themselves from this campaign, indicating that the aforementioned Atari Connected LLC subsidiary that was expressly set up to fund this outright scam, was merely a licensor of Atari's name, and basically pin the whole mess on Michael Arzt.)

-Thom

• Like 7