IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Interesting thing with AMD, they released their financial earnings for last year sometime ago and Atari is listed in there (under the AtariBox name):

http://ir.amd.com/news-releases/news-release-details/amd-reports-third-quarter-2017-financial-results-0

Seems obvious to me this isn't a scam after all, like many claimed.

​uh, uh,

"Ataridisclosed that a customized AMD processor featuring Radeon™ graphics technology will power the upcoming Ataribox game console, which is targeted for global launch in spring 2018."

​Spring 2018... time is runing... ;-)

• Like 4

You never get charged for pre-orders until they ship. It's not a pre-order.

True, but they also wanted to get the community involved in the development process.

Nothing here is screaming "scam" at me yet, so if there's any other solid proof that backers are being scammed, please let me know.

Also, when you claim you have the money to fund the project and still go to crowdfunding .. well something smells rotten in that taco :)

Perhaps... But again, these are all "feelings" and speculation that you have. It's not solid hard proof.

Perhaps... But again, these are all "feelings" and speculation that you have. It's not solid hard proof.

I think I trust Curt Vendel's information (who is a legend around here) more than some random internet numpty. If you were sent in to do damage control, I think "Atari" should ask for their money back.

• Like 8

And all you have is hope :) That's a terrible way to manage your money!

Perhaps, but I'm also doing my utmost to research the situation at hand. I have a feeling many people don't care to look into this seriously because, like I said, it's Atari we're talking about here.

The Register article was based on an interview that happened months ago, and a new interview was conducted with Michael Arzt where he actually said a lot more about the project.

He even mentioned that Nolan Bushnell was cool with the project (though again, that's something that Michael said, so it's more-so anecdotal evidence at this point).

Best thing we can really do is analyze everything that's happening right now and go with what we can see, and do the best not to make assumptions about anything.

Also, Atari seems to have posted a reply on the Indiegogo page before the campaign ended, which is AWESOME!

Best thing we can really do is analyze everything that's happening right now and go with what we can see, and do the best not to make assumptions about anything.

Also, Atari seems to have posted a reply on the Indiegogo page before the campaign ended, which is AWESOME!

Your expectations don't seem to be terribly high.

You (and a few thousand others) are fine with commodity hardware, an open-source OS, a price above the market value, no software ecosystem, a year of waiting, and poor communication from the people taking the money, just so long as it says "ATARI" on the box.

Did I forget anything?

Oh, and "not yet proven to be a scam," there's that.

• Like 8

Sounds like your research skills are lacking :)

Not really. Lol.

I've been closely analyzing the gameplay footage on YouTube, and last night I figured out that Atari's modern controller has a strikingly similar design to PowerA's other controllers:

Clipboard.png

Edited by Lodmot

How does one "work on" an update? You whip out your phone, type a few lines, and it's out there.

Oh, there's a lot more to it than that.

For live video, they have to make certain the xbox/PC is out of the shot. For composite shots, they must have an unobstructed place to paste overlay videos. The community in this thread has helped them with that.

For text, they need to find some weird pseudo-slang like "bomb-diggity" coupled with old-people idioms like "bells and whistles," as well as appropriate insults for anyone who dares question their marketing spiel. I hope we get some greengrocer's apostrophes and intelligence-insulting catchphrases like "keep the faith."

And finally, some catch phrases for their muppets to repeat. "We answered all the questions we could, but we need to keep some surprises for later! Those who waited to pledge will be sorry."

• Like 9

Your expectations don't seem to be terribly high.

You (and a few thousand others) are fine with commodity hardware, an open-source OS, a price above the market value, no software ecosystem, a year of waiting, and poor communication from the people taking the money, just so long as it says "ATARI" on the box.

Did I forget anything?

Oh, and "not yet proven to be a scam," there's that.

Lol. I'm not really sure where you got an estimate of my expectations based on that post, but okay.

Also I like how everyone was like, "Atari is waiting until after the campaign is over to say something," etc.

Edited by Lodmot

The Register article was based on an interview that happened months ago

Probably not much point in getting into this, but yes. The interview was months ago. What made it newsworthy again was Atari saying that they (the Register) must be trolls because the interview didn't happen that way, and the Register proved that it did. It was months ago, absolutely; Atari shined a spotlight it a few days ago, and it bit them in the ass. Atari lied for no real good reason.

If they are willing to lie about something so small, why would that give you any confidence on the big things?

• Like 6

Probably not much point in getting into this, but yes. The interview was months ago. What made it newsworthy again was Atari saying that they (the Register) must be trolls because the interview didn't happen that way, and the Register proved that it did. It was months ago, absolutely; Atari shined a spotlight it a few days ago, and it bit them in the ass. Atari lied for no real good reason.

If they are willing to lie about something so small, why would that give you any confidence on the big things?

The Register article misconstrued the interview in a way that makes it look like Atari was hiding something/not answering questions/getting defensive. If you listen to the unedited version of the interview it's clear that the actual vibe from the interview isn't as exaggeratedly bad as the article makes it out to be. But I have a feeling the author knew in his head "Most people aren't gonna listen to the full version of this shit", and put it at the bottom of the page. But the best thing for the reader to do is listen to the interview and make their own assessment of what took place.

The Register article misconstrued the interview in a way that makes it look like Atari was hiding something/not answering questions/getting defensive. If you listen to the unedited version of the interview it's clear that the actual vibe from the interview isn't as exaggeratedly bad as the article makes it out to be. But I have a feeling the author knew in his head "Most people aren't gonna listen to the full version of this shit", and put it at the bottom of the page. But the best thing for the reader to do is listen to the interview and make their own assessment of what took place.

And the fact that Atari actually has been hiding things (who the developers are, what games can be expected) and actually has avoided answering questions (why should we buy this thing?) doesn't factor in at all?

• Like 2

I don't know what interview you listened to, but that isn't what I got from it at all. The Register misconstrued nothing. Seriously, if this what you have to offer, you're gonna have to up your game.

• Like 5