IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Again, I have designer friends who could render a VCS-grade box in exchange for me helping move a couch. As has been documented, the shell isn't engineered to accommodate hardware or dispense heat, it's strictly visual right now. I might not be able to get you a technically competent shell design, but pretty? I can get you pretty all day long.

That's all Atari's shell is... pretty. And pretty is neither expensive nor time consuming.

Okay. Well the shell is pretty for sure, but did you see it at GDC and check for ventilation? Is there no way they can actually put ventilation in those ridges while keeping the same look?

I'm not saying you guys are completely wrong, but I still don't really see any solid, hardcore proof that this thing isn't being delivered to me. I'm definitely still open for more information for sure, and they definitely made a few wrong moves. But there's nothing to me that isn't adding up. Most of the time when people talk about Atari being a scam, it seems like they're doing one of the following:

• Not providing substantial reasoning or actual proof, it's basically just assumptions and speculation.
  • The evidence that's provided is unclear, or distorted from the actual truth. (e.g. The Register article's trimmed audio clips)
  • It's people basically being sarcastic and screaming "FAAAAAKE", and not actually trying to give any meat to their argument, or attempt to take the time to do valid research.

Like I said, I'm open for more reasoning. I like that Curt confirmed that the YouTube account is his, so that's good to start with.

I just really want this thing to be real, and I'm doing the best I can to actually make sure it's real. I want to get the facts straight and make sure I'm not jumping to conclusions or making assumptions one way or another.

"The "faked gameplay footage" claims don't really present any concise proof that the footage is indeed fake. I played each video clip in fullscreen and in slow motion, and I didn't see any details that looked odd. As for the Tempest 4000 issue, Nintendo has basically done the same thing with Skyrim in their announcement teaser for the Switch."

They are 100% fake and their claims violate FTC laws and Atari isn't Nintendo.

Can you actually tell me where in the video I can see it being faked? I've been trying to find it for days now....

"The "faked gameplay footage" claims don't really present any concise proof that the footage is indeed fake. I played each video clip in fullscreen and in slow motion, and I didn't see any details that looked odd. As for the Tempest 4000 issue, Nintendo has basically done the same thing with Skyrim in their announcement teaser for the Switch."

They are 100% fake and their claims violate FTC laws and Atari isn't Nintendo.

You can clearly see on the Yar's Revenge footage where the fake screen image is clipped around the hand of the player holding the controller. They specifically said it was running on the tv, and it's clearly not if you look in the proper spot. In this case, while a toaster can run this game, the fact they are specifically saying "I'M PLAYING THIS ON THIS TV" as a form of proof of functionality, and in reality the TV isn't even on... there's a problem. If Nintendo showed a guy playing a system and it specifically was to show the system could actually play games and the box wasn't an empty hunk of plastic, they'd simply film a TV while a game was played on it. Skyrim in a promo video commercial isn't the same thing.

Secondly, I don't remember Bethesda ever NOT KNOWING their game was to be released for the Switch. Anyone with half a brain knew that the image was faked. The point was that "this game is coming to the system, and the dev is aware they're supposed to be making it" and "this is, graphically, what to expect". We can't take that footage seriously as to how well the game will perform when a Linux version hasn't even been started yet. If it's running in Wine, performance will be at best a mixed bag, at worst near broken.

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 3

Anybody have any idea how this thread holds up versus some the other all-time long threads??? Is this the longest ever?

No, there are others ... "thrift finds" is the all-time winner, but if you flip through the "retroVGS" and "coleco chameleon" threads, you'll see a lot of the same themes as this stupid campaign.

I don't think we WANT to hate people for trying, but obvious, incompetent attempts at retro exploitation are not to be tolerated.

• Like 8

You can clearly see on the Yar's Revenge footage where the fake screen image is clipped around the hand of the player holding the controller. They specifically said it was running on the tv, and it's clearly not if you look in the proper spot. In this case, while a toaster can run this game, the fact they are specifically saying "I'M PLAYING THIS ON THIS TV" as a form of proof of functionality, and in reality the TV isn't even on... there's a problem. If Nintendo showed a guy playing a system and it specifically was to show the system could actually play games and the box wasn't an empty hunk of plastic, they'd simply film a TV while a game was played on it. Skyrim in a promo video commercial isn't the same thing.

Secondly, I don't remember Bethesda ever NOT KNOWING their game was to be released for the Switch. Anyone with half a brain knew that the image was faked. The point was that "this game is coming to the system, and the dev is aware they're supposed to be making it" and "this is, graphically, what to expect". We can't take that footage seriously as to how well the game will perform when a Linux version hasn't even been started yet. If it's running in Wine, performance will be at best a mixed bag, at worst near broken.

I see what you're talking about actually... I mean, it's a very miniscule flaw in the video, but it's there. The image on the TV screen appears to be aligned perfectly in relation to the bezels though... I don't know.

EDIT: Lol, while I was watching the original video for myself to try and spot it, Flojomojo posted a gif of it for me. XD

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 1

I see what you're talking about actually... I mean, it's a very miniscule flaw in the video, but it's there. The image on the TV screen appears to be aligned perfectly in relation to the bezels though... I don't know.

EDIT: Lol, while I was watching the original video for myself to try and spot it, Flojomojo posted a gif of it for me. XD

Take the Sonic in your avatar as a hint of how to start acting in regards to this system, because if you expect to see it in the flesh, you'll be waiting until you're long dead.

If you want to buy it, fine. But I implore you to wait until it's actually released. This has all the tell signs this is a cash grab and run, and it's not the first time they've done this, either...

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 3

The image on the TV screen appears to be aligned perfectly in relation to the bezels though... I don't know.

Go back and look closely, and you'll see what Nathan pointed out in his post: the text on the screen is in focus, but the bezel is out of focus. They should both be in focus because they're both the same distance from the camera ... unless the contents of the screen were superimposed onto the TV later.

Compare it to this weird-looking effects shot from "Return of the Jedi" ...

vlcsnap-2018-06-26-18h11m42s006.png

... in which the Emperor is in focus, the starfield in the background is in focus, but the window frames (which are supposed to be between them) are out of focus. It's a sure sign that the starfield was bluescreened in.

• Like 6

The update… My guess: "Campaign Extended" for 30 days.

That sounds like a pretty good guess.

I would think their public reasoning would be something like,

Due to the overwhelming success of our initial fundraising campaign, we've decided to extend it to give even more Atari fans an opportunity to get their hands on the awesome bomb-diggityness that is the AtariVCS! Therefore, we're adding even more special editions and bundles so collectors can have something even more rare and unique than the exclusive early editions that are completely sold-out and no longer all that rare or exclusive! But their numbered "Limited Edition" stickers will have bells and whistles!

And look - here's a brand-new not-at-all-fake video of the AtariVCS in action!*

Take that haters and trolls!

*All IP shown is the trademarked property of their respective owners and is depicted for illustration purposes only.

In private, they want to clear that $3 million mark and need another entire month to do it, for bragging rights and just to bilk more people out of their money.

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 4

Take the Sonic in your avatar as a hint of how to start acting in regards to this system, because if you expect to see it in the flesh, you'll be waiting until you're long dead.

If you want to buy it, fine. But I implore you to wait until it's actually released. This has all the tell signs this is a cash grab and run, and it's not the first time they've done this, either...

Well, I appreciate your concern... I'm likely going to do a wait-and-see approach until the last day. If they don't post their new announcement before the campaign is over, then I may finally pull out.

I was really just planning on using this as a nice little streaming box for my bedroom (I don't use regular cable TV but I have more than one TV in the house), and just to have it as a collectors' item (I pledged for one of the 6000-numbered woodgrain models, so that would've been kinda cool to have). That's why I sorta would prefer waiting, just in case this thing becomes somewhat of a rare item down the road. Specs and exclusives weren't the most important thing to me here, for me it was moreso the novelty of having a piece of brand new, authentic Atari hardware. And the modern controller would've been nice for gaming on my other gaming rig too. *sigh*…….. :/

Edited by Lodmot

JBerel:

1. I have no obligation to backers, its not my indiegogo and I stopped all work and parted ways working for Atari once I heard Chesnais took over in 2013

2. I need to verify things that have been given to me in confidence by those whove been contacting me from within Ataris contract circles. These things take time, this not my full time job and I have to wait on those who are willing to talk in confidence to return my emails and/or calls.

3. Ive given information to several individuals to investigate independently & make posts on, ball is in their court.

So I would appreciate you to please not plop this in my lap as if Im somehow to blame for Ataris actions, blunders and shenanigans

Please don't infer I was putting any of that on you. I totally agree, you do you. I was just curious about the timing of the whole thing. I don't think you owe anybody anything in the ongoing cluster. It's just a little conflicting seeing so many people being duped when there is a good amount of solid information out there that should inform their decisions, and no doubt there is a lot more information that has yet to be revealed. Most of us so called haters on this board know the signs of disengenuous con artists a mile away, so we can put together the pieces. It's always frustrating to watch people willingly walk into the fan blades, but that's their decision and we ain't here to protect them from themselves. I can just imagine knowing more about what's actually going on, it must eat at you. It eats at me, and I'm just inferring what's really happening behind the scenes based on long experience.

• Like 2

I see now why they are taking another year to release this thing. There is a significant engineering problem with the Atari VCS. How are they going to get a fat ass xbox stuffed into that tiny plastic Atari shell?

If the power brick is the size of a PC, we know what happened.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 4

That's why I sorta would prefer waiting, just in case this thing becomes somewhat of a rare item down the road. Specs and exclusives weren't the most important thing to me here

Protip:

Before it became a ridiculously expensive shelf bauble for collector hipsters, the underfunded, underengineered, undersupported Jaguar was such a failure that I bought three of them for $25 a pop at a Kaybee clearance. I'd suggest a similar strategy if you really want the underfunded, underengineered, undersupported VCS for collecting purposes.

• Like 7

To your credit, the campaign didn't do everything the right way, but they're at least not as pathetic as the Coleco Chameleon was. The shell may seem useless, but the fact that they actually designed it themselves and got someone to produce a shell says something. Developing an entire game console is very complicated, so it's impressive to me that they have a finalized shell. You're right that Atari SA isn't better than other companies for making seedy arrangements though. You also have a fair point with the Tempest 4000 scandal, so I can't really comment there. All I can say is, maybe they just made an honest mistake and went back to correct it. But as for your last argument...... mid-range gaming laptop.... hmm...... you mean like the Nintendo Switch? :P

Yeah you can joke about Nintendo but you can't get their great IPs on a laptop. I can get all of Atari's IPs on other systems.

It being a vanilla board might not be powerful and it should be easy to produce. However, I don't buy a console to look at. I buy it for the software. The AVCS has two games offered elsewhere.

You can say what about Steam? Sure great other than not every game can be run on linux. Nor does Atari get any money from that. And I can probably get a mini pc for less and have the same amount of gAmes available to me on steam.

• Like 1