IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

That OTON video is well worth watching for anyone who thinks that Indiegogo have any meaningful rules as to what can be put on their site.

I don't really watch vids until I really have to - but I just cannot believe their pitch is worse than that "Novatio" thingy you linked to earlier. These guys just won my internets today.

Our mainboard uses a FPGA chip that will have the revolutionary feature of executing software “.exe” on NovOS. In the souce code of our OS there are the codes to interface the chip with any .exe program downloaded on the console allowing its execution, this feature will make NovOS compatible with all kind of Windows programs opening new ways into a new future for Linux.

Thanks to this extraordinary method it will be possible to play the whole Steam, Origin and Uplay libraries!

There's more, it's just a sample from a truly delicious and surreal IGG page, featuring lots of bad grammar, some beyond-basic renders and a promise that "Novatio is the future. It will become what the Steam Machine failed to be"

Anyone know the percentage of Indigogo campaigns that were actually successful and fully delivered on their projects and gave their customers full value for their money?

Those charts are interesting, but they don't measure everything that AtariLeaf is asking about. According to the criteria used here, a "successful" crowdfunding project is one that met its funding goal. By that measure, AtariBox is not only a "success," it shattered its goal. That's only the first third of the question.

post-2410-0-54492700-1531156371.png

That doesn't mean anything was delivered, and it certainly doesn't mean everyone who backed it is happy.

Kickstarter has a tool for tracking whether you received your reward. It's a useful way to keep track of your pledges. Here's a screenshot of mine. As you can see, I am a crowdfunding whale. I've backed a lot of stupid $hit, and even I couldn't find a justification to give anything to AtariBox, not for what they're offering in the way they described it. But that's not the point ...

post-2410-0-58368800-1531156038_thumb.png

If there's an objective way to track whether perks/rewards were actually delivered, it's not really in the interest of KS or IGG to share that information. Nor is it their problem. As they like to say, they're just a venue. Their job is to run the website and skim the money.

Besides, who cares about odds and percentages? There's no statistical relevance to comparing AtariBox to Licki or any other crowdfunded project. They're both insanely stupid, but each project is an individual trial, run by a unique team, with a particular set of circumstances. Licki was funded and delivered. Lick your cat. Like a cat.

• Like 5

Licki was funded and delivered. Lick your cat. Like a cat.

I have absolutely no way of responding to that... that someone would a) want to lick their cat, b) come up with a product to do it, and c) find other people who would actually buy something so completely bonkers, totally explains why people will back the Ataribox.

I take it all back.

Fred knows exactly what he's doing.

He's selling a game console to cat lickers.

But he should've called it the Atari Lyyx.

• Like 6

http://guff.com/20-of-the-most-ridiculous-kickstarter-projects

"I'm making potato salad. I haven't decided what kind yet."

Seriously? That raised more then $55,000???

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zackdangerbrown/potato-salad

That's yet ANOTHER reason I refuse and no longer participate in crowdfunding campaigns. Even the more "reputable" Kickstarter lets anything and everything on their website. They should have never let anything like that go live on their site. That isn't even a campaign or some kind of product or service to create that you would need to raise money for. That's the equivalent of creating a Kickstarter campaign, and taking a photo of your dog or cat and saying "This is my dog/cat! They are awesome! GIMME UR MONEY!!!" That's not a legitimate campaign.

But whatever, Kickstarter is a business and they took their cut of the $55k that was raised, so in the end they're the ones laughing to the bank (along with the guy who owned the Potato salad campaign)

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with spending $20 or so on a gag gift or novelty item. Heck, I remember how happy I was to get one of these when I was like 12 years old and that isn't any less stupid then a cat licking brush.

https://www.amazon.com/Unlimited-T-J-Wisemen-Controlled-Machine/dp/B0006L1ILI

I personally won't ever "pre-order" one from a crowdfunding site though, but thats just me. When it comes to stores then that is when I will pick it up and purchase it. If they don't end up succeeding due to whatever reason and it never comes to stores, then welp, too bad for them, and I'll be glad I didn't waste my money.

I'd suspect that most fully funded projects on Indiegogo do eventually come out but that's because they're things like art, film, music and book projects where people really just want the money to get them done and aren't raising enough for it to be a worthwhile scam. There might be a few at the fringes of those fields where the complexity of the project starts to become an issue but they're generally seen as what crowdfunding is good for.

On the other hand, Kickstarter correctly identified electronic hardware projects fairly early on as being much more likely to fail due to the large sums of money required, the technical challenges in delivering them, and the tendencies to oversell what people are capable of making. Insisting on a working prototype helps weed out a lot of the dreamers and scammers, but there's still a lot that can go wrong.

Indiegogo, on the other hand, saw all that and thought they'd just keep taking the money. And, given the way they've been able to wash their hands of all the failure on their site for several years, it would seem to be working for them.

• Like 6

Heres a thing I found from an old Atari annual report in the early/mid 90s regarding the Jaguar. That is just R&D costs, which doesn't include anything else such as manufacturing, shipping, marketing, etc.
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/802019/0000802019-95-000003.txt

The Company's
research and development expenditures totaled $5.8 million, $4.9 million and
$9.2 million, in 1994, 1993, and 1992, respectively.

And that is before inflation. Put's into perspective just how little $3 million from Indiegogo in 2018 is.

Edited by Pink
  • Like 3

Heres a thing I found from an old Atari annual report in the early/mid 90s regarding the Jaguar. That is just R&D costs, which doesn't include anything else such as manufacturing, shipping, marketing, etc.https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/802019/0000802019-95-000003.txt

And that is before inflation. Put's into perspective just how little $3 million from Indiegogo in 2018 is.

View that while reminding yourself that far less than the entire $3 million has been actually spent on R&D. It's too soon to say "none of it", but marketing, promotion, and salaries are obviously consuming any percentage worth talking about.

• Like 6

Yup exactly. I'm just trying to show how expensive making a console is and how much they spent alone on one individual part of it (The R&D) and trying to put into perspective just how little Nutari actually has in comparison in 2018.

Edited by Pink

View that while reminding yourself that far less than the entire $3 million has been actually spent on R&D. It's too soon to say "none of it", but marketing, promotion, and salaries are obviously consuming any percentage worth talking about.

I bet most of those early 90s R&D dollars went toward making a brand new game console (Jaguar) with custom chips, firmware/BIOS, and a few software titles. The VCS (should it ever materialize) seems like it will be mostly off-the-shelf components in a nice case. Not sure the comparison holds?

• Like 1

I bet most of those early 90s R&D dollars went toward making a brand new game console (Jaguar) with custom chips, firmware/BIOS, and a few software titles. The VCS (should it ever materialize) seems like it will be mostly off-the-shelf components in a nice case. Not sure the comparison holds?

If they researched more, they might have developed something worth buying.

To be fair, in the 90s they had to make cutting edge custom chips with features unavailable in existing hardware. Nowadays, all they have to do is saw down a cheap laptop board and figure out how to keep it cool.

Sure, there's still scope to mess things up badly, but they shouldn't need a big R&D budget for it.

You bring up a very good point. Hard to find a good apple to apple comparison. Can't find any info. on what Nintendo spent on anything regarding the SNES and NES classic and information is virtually non-existant for how much Atgames spends on anything regards to it's Sega Genesis and Atari flashbacks.

Did find this though right here on Atariage, they had a $3 million advertising budget for the Jaguar. And while i'm only 25 and can't remember back then, i'm sure whatever advertising it had was significantly less then that of Nintendo and Sega of the time and that $3 million was teeny tiny peanuts compared to what Nintendo and Sega spent. Moral of the story, $3 million is not a lot.

http://atariage.com/Jaguar/index.php

Point is, making a console is expensive, Nutari is not financially capable of doing so, and $3 million is not a lot at all.

Edited by Pink

Welp, for those that think we are insane, take a look at these "haters". These "haters" are on a totally different level.

Edited by Pink
  • Like 7