IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I wasn't referring to the vintage games market. I'm talking about people avoiding the Jaguar in 1995 because they knew Atari was washed up at that point, versus people actually getting excited about the VCS despite the current "Atari" only being a ghost of that shadow.

To be fair, only 11,000 have so far signed up for the VCS. Given that even the Jaguar sold more like 250,000, it'd seem like the Atari brand is at an all time low.

• Like 4

You were the one who compared the VCS by saying it now has (or will, if it ever comes out) Then the Switch will.

Now has what? Not sure what you were referring to here..

When I was comparing it to the Switch before, I was talking about RAM..... You brought up the point that specs mean nothing if there are no enticing exclusive games on the system, and I agreed with that.

Then I went and tried to make the point that the PS4 has basically no enticing exclusives itself, and yet it's sold over like 70 million units or something crazy like that...

But anyway, who knows... :P The other thing I was thinking is, maybe Atari is trying to cater to the HTPC market.

Now has what? Not sure what you were referring to here..

When I was comparing it to the Switch before, I was talking about RAM..... You brought up the point that specs mean nothing if there are no enticing exclusive games on the system, and I agreed with that.

Then I went and tried to make the point that the PS4 has basically no enticing exclusives itself, and yet it's sold over like 70 million units or something crazy like that...

But anyway, who knows... :P The other thing I was thinking is, maybe Atari is trying to cater to the HTPC market.

Sure, the PS4 has no enticing exclusives if you'll overlook The Last of Us, Uncharted, Killzone, Little Big Planet, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, God of War, Gran Turismo, etc.

Maybe none of them do it for you, which is fair enough, but they'll still sell millions of consoles to other people. The VCS on the other hand, will seemingly have no exclusives at all; just games you can play on other systems, and will probably work better on other systems too.

As for the HTPC market, I'd think that it rather falls between two stools. Either you're looking for something to play games on, in which case it's marginal; the A10 was OK for a gaming HTPC five years back but most people who built one then have upgraded or are looking to do so now. Or, alternatively, you're looking for a mostly media playback machine in which case there are ARM or Atom based systems already on the market that'll do the job much more cheaply. Those are also generally good enough for emulators and a lot of indie games too, so the VCS will have to offer something as yet unannounced to make a case for itself there.

Edited by Matt_B
  • Like 1

Going back to my earlier statements re: the PS3 and the ability to run Linux on that device via the 'Other OS' option prior to Sony's removal of that capability in firmware version 3.21... This is different to that how, exactly?

More smoke & mirrors. Already been done, and only a really tiny percentage of users (which includes me) took advantage of it. Can't imagine it's going to be any different on the AtariVCSbollocks, and they need to stop hyping this as a 'feature' when they know full damn well that the end goal is to build something - anything - that makes the company look attractive for a potential buyout.

Linux on PS3 sucked because it completely restricted access to the GPU. Dont just conveniently leave that detail out (for the sake of deliberately making the VCS look worse no doubt) Edited by AlecRob

It's hard to see how this thing "caters" to any market. It's way too small to be a good boat anchor, but more memory at the same price is always welcome, even if it's not needed. Atari Vault only needs 2GB RAM, and Tempest 4000 (not on Linux yet) is supposed to run in 4GB.

post-2410-0-31453500-1531752018.pngpost-2410-0-73167600-1531752024.png

post-2410-0-58751600-1531751208_thumb.png

• Like 3

Sure, the PS4 has no enticing exclusives if you'll overlook The Last of Us, Uncharted, Killzone, Little Big Planet, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, God of War, Gran Turismo, etc.

Maybe none of them do it for you, which is fair enough, but they'll still sell millions of consoles to other people. The VCS on the other hand, will seemingly have no exclusives at all; just games you can play on other systems, and will probably work better on other systems too.

As for the HTPC market, I'd think that it rather falls between two stools. Either you're looking for something to play games on, in which case it's marginal; the A10 was OK for a gaming HTPC five years back but most people who built one then have upgraded or are looking to do so now. Or, alternatively, you're looking for a mostly media playback machine in which case there are ARM or Atom based systems already on the market that'll do the job much more cheaply. Those are also generally good enough for emulators and a lot of indie games too, so the VCS will have to offer something as yet unannounced to make a case for itself there.

I can appreciate all that. I still agree that the Atari VCS absolutely needs exclusives to succeed, and I also agree that it's likely not going to succeed at all. LOL

Quite frankly, I was never fully confident in this thing actually being a success, but I'm confident that it will exist, and that's what I'm mostly concerned about.

• Like 1

1. Attack Ataribox

2. Attack those who defend Atari box

3. Attack those who dont attack Ataribox

Thats pretty much how this has developed overtime with some on here. Kinda a unhealthy obsession hating a silly console....

Turn that hate towards something that is worthy of such anger, digust and rage....

Like The NY Yankees..

:0

Yet, you love contributing to the thread :)

• Like 1

Going back to my earlier statements re: the PS3 and the ability to run Linux on that device via the 'Other OS' option prior to Sony's removal of that capability in firmware version 3.21... This is different to that how, exactly?

More smoke & mirrors. Already been done, and only a really tiny percentage of users (which includes me) took advantage of it. Can't imagine it's going to be any different on the AtariVCSbollocks, and they need to stop hyping this as a 'feature' when they know full damn well that the end goal is to build something - anything - that makes the company look attractive for a potential buyout.

Atari says they're going to do it in a way that doesn't hobble performance by locking off resources, like PS3's "Other OS" did until they removed this function completely via a firmware update.

In the grand scheme of things, there is no reason why a console cannot be neutral, open and secure at the same time. A more modern business model ensures all parties can be successful. How are we going to do this with Atari VCS?

Our core architecture consists of the Atari Secure Hypervisor and a heavily modified linux kernel called the AtariOS. All of this is in flash memory and before the AtariOS loads, any external storage device is checked, and if a bootable device is found, the OtherOS on that device is loaded instead. We don’t have a typical OS loader like UBoot or GRUB, and because the CPU is already in 64 bit protected mode from our boot code, the OtherOS will need its typical startup code changing. These changes are minimal and we’ll provide example code to show how to configure and boot standard Ubuntu. The OtherOS is running under the Atari Secure Hypervisor but the OtherOS has full access to the CPU, GPU, Memory, Audio, USB, Network, Display etc, and you can make full performance applications without restriction.

Another way of looking at this is the likelihood that there won't be a significant amount of software in the Atari store, and if they decide to drop support for whatever reason, their customers will still have the potential of loading another OS at their own risk. They've made it very clear that Atari will only support their secure partition, so installing Steam or anything like it will be in the other partition. If anything goes wrong or doesn't work? Not Atari's problem.

Linux on PS3 sucked because it completely restricted access to the GPU. Dont just conveniently leave that detail out (for the sake of deliberately making the VCS look worse no doubt)

Linux on PS3 also sucked because it was slow and underpowered, with or without GPU support. Users of the pre-Slim PS3 could keep the "Other OS" if they chose to decline the new firmware. Remember all those cool things that people did with their Linux-based PS3s? Yeah, me neither. The cell cluster nodes were outperformed by commodity hardware pretty early on, despite the popularity of folding@home.

Sony's official stance was that they wanted to pass on the savings of the lower cost PS3. Unstated is how they make money on software but sell hardware at a loss. It's cute that Wyatt and Atari have chosen to make the absence of software into "freedom!" and the near-certainty of dropped long-term support (they've stated they want to license it to a third party) into a user benefit.

Or as they say on tingiant.com,

This is an example of a homepage section. Homepage sections can be any page other than the homepage itself, including the page that shows your latest blog posts.

and Atari is just $145 away from taking $3,000,000 worth of pigeon money.

post-2410-0-41187500-1531754001.png

giphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

• Like 5

So you admit the console is a silly project?

;)

All video games are silly at the end of the day. Enjoyable but not something to get truly angry and stressed out about. Well except for Super Meatboy and Dark Souls...those are pure anger and stress makers from Satan himself...

I think the AB is interesting, Ill buy one if the final product is cool. Or not. All depends on the value of the final product to me.

If it never comes out or sucks when it does Ill lose zero sleep over it though. Rooting for a consumer product that I find interesting to be successful is all it is at the end of the day. Ive no real emotional feelings either way.

To be honest the last thing really needed is yet more games to buy, my poor gaming budget is already stressed out so maybe a AB failure is a good thing for me :9

• Like 2

I knew you were a backer :)

Was. The Onxy version with a classic controller.

Cancelled it back in June, used that money to buy a Xbox One S while they were on sale during E3. Really wanted to play Sea Of Theives! Pirates are cool :)

But still might get a AB, we shall see!

Edited by RugglesTx
  • Like 1

Cancelled it back in June, used that money to buy a Xbox One S while they were on sale during E3. Really wanted to play Sea Of Theives! Pirates are cool :)

Tomorrow (July 17th) you'll be able to add Tempest 4000 to your Xbox One S.

Right now, you can get Atari Flashback 1 and 2, which contain everything from Atari Vault.

All 3 titles are available as downloads or as physical discs.

• Like 3

Gotta have a little balance to a conversation. :0

Keep it up and your not coming over to play my Ataribox when it arrives. :0. Unless your bringing beer and grill cheeses, then you can come no matter what.

I'm willing to bet your favorite beer is Rolling Rock. o u o

Tomorrow (July 17th) you'll be able to add Tempest 4000 to your Xbox One S.

Right now, you can get Atari Flashback 1 and 2, which contain everything from Atari Vault.

All 3 titles are available as downloads or as physical discs.

Already have one volume on the PS4, great collection but feels weird playing on a PS controller to me. Ordered a copy of Off The Wall for the 2600 because of how much fun it was onn the collection. Looking forward to playing that with a true joystick :0

Tempest on the Jaguar is still kicking my behind, but no doubt T4k is on my radar.

About to receive an order of 5 games from Atari Age, Im already backed up on games and thats about to get worse. Excited to get them though, Seawolf, Beef Drop, Dungeon Stalker, Super Cobra and Draconian. Dungeon Stalker being the one Im most excited about. :0

• Like 2

I'm willing to bet your favorite beer is Rolling Rock. o u o

Lol, no.

In no real order..

Guinness (all Variations)

New Castle Brown Ale

Pretty much any German beer

Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Smithwicks (the blonde is heavenly)

Shinerbock

Mondelo Negra

And of course gotta mix in some Lone Star just cause its so iconic in Texas :0

Like the dark beers overall :0

• Like 2

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/atari-vcs-ram-upgraded-to-8gb-and-atari-confirm-you-can-put-a-normal-linux-distribution-on-it.12143

What's really interesting as well, is their explanation of how you can run another Linux distribution alongside their official AtariOS:

Our core architecture consists of the Atari Secure Hypervisor and a heavily modified linux kernel called the AtariOS. All of this is in flash memory and before the AtariOS loads, any external storage device is checked, and if a bootable device is found, the OtherOS on that device is loaded instead. We dont have a typical OS loader like UBoot or GRUB, and because the CPU is already in 64 bit protected mode from our boot code, the OtherOS will need its typical startup code changing.

I wonder if it would be possible to also install Windows as an alternative OS on the Atari VCCS. I have never tried to a HTPC type device, so I am not sure how one would go about doing that, or if there has been any success doing so. Does anyone here have any experience trying to get Windows to run on a device similar to what the Atari VCS is described as being?